Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 15 vs Brisbane

Demonland

16 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

He’s had good moments kicking the ball at Casey. But they play a similar style as the senior side with overall lower skill level, so playing half forward or on ball he doesn’t get a lot of it space. Doesn’t get a lot of it full stop.

His handballs can be equally creative, he has clever vision and timing to release runners. And he seems to do that more than be the runner himself.

At this stage he just looks like a similar player to Spargo, with a little less pace, less strength at the contest and a whole lot less defensive ability. I’d be very surprised if he got a call up. 

Thanks - that's a shame... I feel like he showed he had pace at junior level. 

Spargo's not perfect but he's certainly disciplined.  Unless Laurie has some weapons (speed, excellent kicking etc) there's no chance he'll replace him.

Melksham in.Day in. See who wants to win the most

That dirty bugger Cox.They bought him on to do one thing.Yanks have always been late for everything, and they are quick to claim credit for everything.

If games were played over 2 quarters, we'd still be undefeated. Unfortunately it takes performance over 4 quarters to win a game against good opposition. Just too many passengers these last 3 weeks especially, but there has been signs of this nearly all season. So not too happy at the moment with our team, when we know they are capable of so much better. Perhaps its time for a real shake up:

In: May, Dunstan, Weid, Rivers, Daw, Bedford, Harmes (sub)

Out: M.Brown, Turner (injured), BBB, ANB, Sparrow, Harmes, Chandler (sub)

B. Hibbert May Lever

HB. Rivers Petty Salem

C. Langdon Brayshaw Jordon

HF. Kossie Weideman Petracca

F. Bedford Jackson Fritsch

F. Gawn, Oliver Viney

Int. Daw, Dunstan, Spargo,  Bowey

Will we make this many changes? Most likely not. But after the last 3 weeks, its almost cathartic to have expressed my disappointment in this way.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, old55 said:

I'm not in favour of moving Gus from the backline. He has been the best thing about it this year. He saved an avalanche yesterday in the 3rd quarter.  Langdon and Jordon are fine on the wings.

Agreed. The backline is STILL saving our butts. Even with missing key players down there all year and losing May then Petty then Turner in games the last 3 weeks, we are still yet to concede a score we couldn't beat if we just fixed the problems forward of the centre.

Turnovers are killing us. Even if we win the clearance, we butcher it going inside 50, or we let the ball bounce straight out, or we turn it over from half back after the defenders do all the hard work to nullify the contest. Our pressure has been well down, and it is hurting us most inside 50. We used to be able to keep the ball down there long enough, that even with a very similar forward mix to now, we could kick a big enough score just from repeat efforts and entries.

Now the ball is intercepted or run straight out of the forward half, and even if we manage to neutralise the aerial contest on the wing, nobody stays down or is able to smoothly transition the footy back inside 50. I was hoping that with Salem back our ball use in the middle part of the ground would greatly improve. Sadly he hasn't found any form yet.

Couple that with Langdon being well down after his injury, Trac being wasteful all over the ground, Gawn clearly being hampered by injury so he is spending much less time down the wing to help with the exit kicks, plus our entire forwardline being in horrible form (Fritsch aside), and you get a team that can't score enough to win, even when we are still keeping our opposition to respectable scores.

Other than Freo who absolutely killed us on the scoreboard (when we lost May early and had to send Weideman down back!), we lost the last 2 games conceding 73 and 82 points (and I bet May doesn't let Reid or Mihocek kick 3 and 4 respectively). It's not exactly a disaster, when we have kicked over 90 points in almost every other game we have played this year (Richmond game is an anomaly due to horrible conversion). 

Edited by Jaded No More
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Max Gawn is in a moonboot

Which leads me to ask again, any information regarding Majak's absence last weekend?

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Is the team best served by sticking with last year's plan and personnel, where possible, and just making minor changes? Or do we make significant changes which moves us away from the 2021 model? Is the 2021 gameplan out of date? Or do we stick with it and trust the players to pick up their game? 

Great questions. I think this is the crux of the dilemma facing the coaching panel.

To make matters worse we are playing Brisbane next and we are desperate for a win, which means they will probably want to keep change to a minimum. When we probably need change. Anyway, it's about time they earnt their money. I think everyone has been on cruise control. Time for everyone to get to work.

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Bloody hell. Where'd you see that mate? Back, knee, shin and now foot?!

They said it was an ankle complaint yesterday.  Most blokes with an ankle injury would wear a moon boot for a few days.  Although clearly hampered if it was serious they wouldn’t have put him back on 

11 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

They said it was an ankle complaint yesterday.  Most blokes with an ankle injury would wear a moon boot for a few days.  Although clearly hampered if it was serious they wouldn’t have put him back on 

Goodwin said they were thinking of subbing Max out but Turner was already out and Petty was getting medical attention so Max stayed on.

I sometimes wonder at the wisdom of keeping players on  especially someone like Max who is constantly being crashed into and Petty who has now had 3 weeks or physical 'assaults or breakdowns.   It would mean going with less rotations tiring other players.  I would prefer that than risk the likes of Gawn and Petty who are critical to or structures and we have few replacements for.

Edited by Lucifers Hero

28 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Goodwin said they were thinking of subbing Max out but Turner was already out and Petty was getting medical attention so Max stayed on.

I sometimes wonder at the wisdom of keeping players on  especially someone like Max who is constantly being crashed into and Petty who has now had 3 weeks or physical 'assaults or breakdowns.   It would mean going with less rotations tiring other players.  I would prefer that than risk the likes of Gawn and Petty who are critical to or structures and we have few replacements for.

I don’t disagree with someone as important as Gawn but I assume they would also need to factor in the chance of others getting injured if they get fatigued. 

9 hours ago, Ugottobekidding said:

I would be tempted to play Tomlinson forward 

Been thinking just this!

If we're going to bomb it in and make it easy for backmen, then we should throw one down there...

But seriously, has the size, speed, and engine to play high fwd

EDIT: Additionally, Tomlinson has had a week off and the long break. Some fresh legs couldn’t hurt

Edited by Graeme Yeats' Mullet

2 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

If games were played over 2 quarters, we'd still be undefeated. Unfortunately it takes performance over 4 quarters to win a game against good opposition. Just too many passengers these last 3 weeks especially, but there has been signs of this nearly all season. So not too happy at the moment with our team, when we know they are capable of so much better. Perhaps its time for a real shake up:

In: May, Dunstan, Weid, Rivers, Daw, Bedford, Harmes (sub)

Out: M.Brown, Turner (injured), BBB, ANB, Sparrow, Harmes, Chandler (sub)

B. Hibbert May Lever

HB. Rivers Petty Salem

C. Langdon Brayshaw Jordon

HF. Kossie Weideman Petracca

F. Bedford Jackson Fritsch

F. Gawn, Oliver Viney

Int. Daw, Dunstan, Spargo,  Bowey

Will we make this many changes? Most likely not. But after the last 3 weeks, its almost cathartic to have expressed my disappointment in this way.  

When Turner is available,

Hibberd May Lever

Rivers Turner Salem

Jordon Brayshaw Langdon

Viney Petty Bedford

Petracca Weideman Fritsch

Gawn  JACKSON  Oliver

Pickett Spargo Bowey Dunstan

sub Harmes

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Longsufferingnomore said:

Too depressed to work so did some analysis of the "Bye" and the AFL's equitable game system (I've included the day of the next game of football)

15 day break - GWS/Adelaide/GC/Bulldogs/Geeeeelong

14 day break - Freo/Syd/Nth/WC

13 day break - Saints/Rich/Coll/Hawthorn

12 day break - Bris/Carlton/Ess

11 day break - Port

10 day break - MFC

Make of it what you will but we certainly have not been given any favours by the AFL (and dont get me started on our game at Geeeelong) 

We get 9 then 10 then 9, before a 5 day break

15 minutes ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

We get 9 then 10 then 9, before a 5 day break

Isn't it a 10 day "break" before we play Brisbane?

If Saturday to Saturday is a 7 day break (6 days off and play on the 7th) and Saturday to Friday is a 6 day break (5 days off and play on the 6th), surely Monday to Thursday week is 10 days (9 days off and play on the 10th).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Abyssal said:

When Turner is available,

Hibberd May Lever

Rivers Turner Salem

Jordon Brayshaw Langdon

Viney Petty Bedford

Petracca Weideman Fritsch

Gawn  JACKSON  Oliver

Pickett Spargo Bowey Dunstan

sub Harmes

Some big changes there.  Not sure I agree with all of them.  But I've come round on the idea of Petty forward.  Doesn't mean he has to stay there all season.  But with TMac out, it could give us real flexibility if we know he can play at either end.  With Turner and Tomlinson we shouldn't lose too much in defence.

• Like 1

I thought our first half was looking really promising. Our intent and pressure was there and we were forcing errors. BBB and Spargo at the very least looked to be finding some form. I thought Bowey improved too.  As far as changes go, I'd like to see high pressure, two way runners come in rather than change for the sake of it. That's why I'd like to see Bedford in, purely for his pressure, speed and endurance. I don't think his kicking will ever set the world on fire, but I think he comes in to maintain the rage.

While Dunstan had a great game for Casey, I don't think his two way running is quite there, so I don't see a spot for him. For all Sparrow's poor form at the moment, he'll continue to apply good pressure and run so I'm happy for him to stay and just play his role. Similar for ANB but I'm not overly excited player by either at the moment. Throw in Harmes and something might have to give as all three are out of form.

It's hard to see Brisbane try to isolate Hunt in the forward line with all their talls, so he could come back in, even as sub. Rivers has played well for Casey as well.

Indifferent about Weid for M Brown but Mitch is really not offering anything either and at least Weid has slotted a few this year. I'm a little indifferent too - I just want pressure applied and two way running.

Team:

Petty  May. Hibberd

Salem Lever Brayshaw

Langdon Viney Jordon

Kossie Weid ANB

Spargo BBB Fritsch

Gawn 🤞Oliver Petracca

Bedford, Jackson, Harmes, Hunt/Rivers/Sparrow

Sub: Hunt/Rivers/Sparrow

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Yeah Richo said ankle during the game, then Goody said he was also carrying a back injury, and he had his shin strapped heavily also... In the wars big time.

22 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

I would consider switching Hunt forward in place of Spargo. We lose composure but gain a bit more x-factor.

Hunt kicked 31 goals in 27 games over 2019 & 2020.

Spargo has 23 goals in 38 games over 2021 & 2022.

Sparrow struggling at moment so rather than replacing Spargo, Hunt might be worth a stint in forward combined with what he has leant in defence.

Still see Hunt in the backline, but might help revamp forward line!

Edited by D4Life
Spelling error

Assuming Petty is ok, we have the chance for the first time this year to put the (grand final) band back together in the backline. I thought Hibberd was good on Monday and you know Salem will get better.

As Jordan is playing good footy on the wing, this would free up Gus to have a run on the ball (where he came 3rd in the Brownlow). This will take some pressure off Clarry and Petracca.

I agree with others to kill the small forward medi-sub. Tomlinson sounds like a good choice for a jack of all trades sub.

Forward line - no idea although Hunt has played there with some modest success. With only BBB as a tall, it gives the smalls to run around and at least be a target.

Out: Turner, M Brown, Chandler (sub)

In: May, Rivers, Tomlinson (sub)

1 hour ago, Demonstone said:

Isn't it a 10 day "break" before we play Brisbane?

If Saturday to Saturday is a 7 day break (6 days off and play on the 7th) and Saturday to Friday is a 6 day break (5 days off and play on the 6th), surely Monday to Thursday week is 10 days (9 days off and play on the 10th).

Yes

We had a 9 after Sydney, before Collimgwood

Then 10, 9, 5

Point was our short bye rounds compared to others needs to consider the weeks either side which compensate

Edited by Graeme Yeats' Mullet

12 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The interesting discussion for mine is the move of Brayshaw from HBF. I can't see why we would move him to the wing, given that Langdon and Jordon are playing those positions well (most of the time), so I'm attracted to the idea of putting Brayshaw on-ball in place of Sparrow or Harmes. Sparrow or Harmes could go to the sub position and Brayshaw's spot on the HBF taken up again by Rivers.

So, I would bring in May for Turner, Rivers for Sparrow (or Harmes) and Weideman for M Brown. Chandler as medi-sub would also be omitted.

(I'm not a fan of Chandler at the best of times and I'm definitely not comfortable with a small forward being the sub. And that includes Bedford. Not enough versatility if the medi-sub is a small forward or a tall forward, for that matter)

Jordan has improved but he is too slow moving the ball forward. Rarely takes first option, then after waiting usually kicks it long down the line!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, D4Life said:

Jordan has improved but he is too slow moving the ball forward. Rarely takes first option, then after waiting usually kicks it long down the line!

This is a good point. JJ has been terrific, but he does move the ball very slowly and kick to a pack often. It’s just the next step for him, to trust himself to make the better decision.

• Like 1