Absent Friends

bush demon

Do you have any special friends, family who did not make it to this day?  I went to the footy with Ray from Springvale Under 12s onwards for years. We re- connected many years later when Ray developed an illness and sadly passed away. He was a demScreenshot_20210925-162456_Gallery.thumb.jpg.7d68df97c5f7fca98df09c05c14a2b06.jpgon FANATIC, and is survived by his two sons and daughter. Go RAY, Go DEES!

• Like 3
  • Love 12

I wanted to acknowledge my Dad. Howard - died of MND 5 years ago this past May.  

Thanks for all the kicks of football on the farm in the orchard. Thanks for buying me a banana milkshake when Jimmy ran over the mark. Thanks for supporting me and driving me to all my sports, and taking me up to the MCG, sharing your love of Hassa Mann and Tiger Ridley, your disdain for all acts of thugery and violence on the field and teaching me that as I was left footed it gave me an advantage over most people that turned to kick on their right (didn't help).

Thanks for buying me my first Demons top -made of wool, wearing it on cold cold junior footy nights and being covered in mud - the only one in Portland, with all other kids wearing Tigers, Geelong or Collingwood. Thanks for washing it.. a lot. 

Thanks for linking me into a team with a shared history of under performing... plenty of exposure to uncomfortable emotions learned early 😍 

*these are some photos of Dad in his last stages of MND -> holding my son (family's first grand child) for the fist time, linked in to Danihers Drive and finally, the night before he died.(lets not turn away from the realities of existence). As Neale has said - it is a 'beast' of a disease.

It would have been tremendous to have you watch us finally have some shared success, and now with the third generation -  your 5yo grandson - a lover of all things Kossie Pickett and red and blue.  

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 6
  • Love 24

30 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Thanks for all the kicks of football on the farm in the orchard. Thanks for buying me a banana milkshake when Jimmy ran over the mark. Thanks for supporting me and driving me to all my sports, and taking me up to the MCG, sharing your love of Hassa Mann and Tiger Ridley, your disdain for all acts of thugery and violence on the field and teaching me that as I was left footed it gave me an advantage over most people that turned to kick on their right (didn't help).

Thanks for buying me my first Demons top -made of wool, wearing it on cold cold junior footy nights and being covered in mud - the only one in Portland, with all other kids wearing Tigers, Geelong or Collingwood. Thanks for washing it.. a lot. 

Thanks for linking me into a team with a shared history of under performing... plenty of exposure to uncomfortable emotions learned early 😍 

*these are some photos of Dad in his last stages of MND -> holding my son (family's first grand child) for the fist time, linked in to Danihers Drive and finally, the night before he died.(lets not turn away from the realities of existence). As Neale has said - it is a 'beast' of a disease.

It would have been tremendous to have you watch us finally have some shared success, and now with the third generation -  your 5yo grandson - a lover of all things Kossie Pickett and red and blue.  

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Wow. Heartfelt love. Emotional stuff. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Jesus mate. Thanks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0695.JPG

Thank you for sharing this, EO. I’m sure your Dad would be so proud of you and of your little boy. 
❤️💙💕❤️💙

How beautiful that he got to meet his grandson before he passed. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I want to acknowledge my dad too  who died three years ago from Leaukemia. 

We always laughed about the misfortunes of our team but it was as always a platform for sharing and communication for the old school dad who had trouble saying I love you. Footy was just one of those things that was sn emotional ice breaker.

Miss him immensely and would give anything to have him sit beside me riding this win home even if he'd say we had no chance in hell. Like me he would fire up about the umpires " CHEATING".

Tx dad for making me follow this " dud team " and thanks for everything you did for me that I often failed to acknowledge Thanks for the times you came to a few games even if I forced you but mainly thanks for just being you.

And a shout out to all you Dlanders who miss their dads today. The dads that had an impact on the team you followed. If you are lucky enough to have your own children, without sounding patronizing, go and give them a massive hug and tell them you LOVE  them.

Thanks guys and gals.

Go Dees. Do it for my dad too and all the dlanders dads.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 4
  • Love 8

14 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I want to acknowledge my dad too  who died three years ago from Leaukemia. 

We always laughed about the misfortunes of our team but it was as always a platform for sharing and communication for the old school dad who had trouble saying I love you. Footy was just one of those things that was sn emotional ice breaker.

Miss him immensely and would give anything to have him sit beside me riding this win home even if he'd say we had no chance in hell. Like me he would fire up about the umpires " CHEATING".

Tx dad for making me follow this " dud team " and thanks for everything you did for me that I often failed to acknowledge Thanks for the times you came to a few games even if I forced you but mainly thanks for just being you.

And a shout out to all you Dlanders who miss their dads today. The dads that had an impact on the team you followed. If you are lucky enough to have your own children, without sounding patronizing, go and give them a massive hug and tell them you LOVE  them.

Thanks guys and gals.

Go Dees. Do it for my dad too and all the dlanders dads.

This is beautiful LitD. 💕

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I was born, in 1965, my dad's first words to me were "G'day Barass"! He was actually a Swans supporter born in South Melbourne but my mum and her entire family tree were Dees people, and Barassi WAS Melbourne in those days (shortly to depart to Carlton)

Mum died 2 years ago after neglect in a nursing home, but she LOVED the Dees, was my greatest supporter when I played, and watched every Dees game she could. She would be gushing and glowing tonight. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I’d like to acknowledge my uncle Philip Thompson. He loved Melbourne dearly. When I was a boy we talked about Melbourne often. What I realise now is they were probably the first conversations with an adult where I didn’t feel like I was being talked down to. You wanted me to feel at ease and to hear what I had to say. That really is the epitome of a gentleman.

You’re dearly missed Phil and I know you and Charles were with us in spirit.

Edited by wisedog
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

7 hours ago, Engorged Onion said:

Holy Christ. I may be out of line, but on behalf of all Demonlanders, please, please enjoy this momentous occasion doubly, triply, for your old man.

I never even knew him but I'll be having one for him, and savouring it extra, just because!

GO DEMONS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, norwood_demon said:

This page is the one that matters. It's why they play and why we believe when there is no sane reason for belief. It's Robbie, Sean and Jimmy. It's what binds us. It's why I am crying again. Thank you for your stories. Enjoy.  Their all with us.

Truer words were never spoke. Family is everything. For everyone who has someone who they would give everything to celebrate with, but cannot, words fail. This day will stay with us forever, and every time you recall this day, give a tip of your lid, or a raise of your glass, to those those who cannot be here with us.

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 1

The moment is significant to us all for many reasons. But it is emotional and we have to remember all who have passed on to the other side. Celebrate but remember. All had hope and faith and belief. What a remarkable and memorable night. Never forgotten.  And to all of you on Demonland, thanks to all of you and to a connection that binds is all. 

Edited by hemingway
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, Stiff Arm said:

My father, died 2013, a lifelong MFC supporter and 50+ year MCC member, and a good footballer himself, who instilled in me a love of the Dees by watching the vintage of Tulip in the 80s. 

He'd love this. Wish he was here beside me.

Stiff, I never knew him, but I just had a sip in honour of your old man. Hope he's enjoying this, wherever he is.

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 1

In the wake of tonight (um, last night), while I haven't been able to bring myself to read all your stories, love to you all, for your absent friends and their stories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To my mum a lifelong Melbourne supporter who always told me about the great teams of the 50's and to be patient our day will come again. And to my late in laws who were both dees fans. I cherish the times when FIL and I both got MCC membership at the same time and went to many games together through some lean years. Well here it is, so I hope wherever they are now that they are looking down with pride. As a third generation Dees supporter I couldn't't be happier Go you mighty Dees.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

To my Dad. I miss you every day but maybe now most of all. I wasn't ready for you to go, it was far too soon. You've missed many big moments in my life and our family's since then, but this one is a lot to take. You and Mum made a Demon of me and I couldn't be more grateful. I know you were with us somehow, watching the game.

And your heart beats true in a whole new generation of Demons in our family.

My thoughts with all Demonlanders missing someone special tonight.

• Like 2
  • Love 2