Should we draft Tex?

Wrecker46

It beggars belief to me that an AFL captain, who has made a massive mistake isn't considered a trade target by demonlanders. 

Tall forwards are an area of deficiency for Melbourne and we could get him for next to nothing.

Again I don't condone racism and am uncfortable that we call Mark Williams choco given he said it was based on racism to begin with in an SEN interview but he didn't care anymore.

• Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

Tex isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but he was made captain so he must have a few smarts.

I don't condone racism in any way but I also believe in second chances.

Our key forwards aren't great and when on song Tex is a gun that could win us a premiership.

Go back to bed

1 hour ago, Engorged Onion said:

Thanks for the feedback Wrecker, I appreciate it.

I've never warmed to Taylor, and personally, I'm all in favour of redemption, is Taylor a rigid/permanently fixed racist... I doubt it. 

But... I struggle to seperate on certain issues. eg: Very very pleased I haven't heard Michael Jackson on the radio in numerous years.

However it appears with Taylor, there have been a range of laddish, insensitive experiences over the course of his career, that wouldn't necessarily fit in with the culture that Goodwin has created (or society sanctioned). Do we as a club expend energy on one person to mould them at this point of time for them, or for us? Nah... I don't think so.

If we're to speak about the industry as a bubble of employment, then each club has indigenous staff/players, on your last point - it shouldn't be up to indigenous individuals to have to be present, to 'stamp it out'. 

Times are changing, and rapidly so... and thank gawd for that... just not soon enough....now would be great... How soon is now?

*cough* massive segue coming up...

Speaking of bigotry, as Morrissey once sang... 'How soon is now....

Randomly, if I'm fitting the lyrics  of that song on to either of the individual - I'm not sure which individual it fits, the victim or the perpetrator...potentially both.

"

I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
I am the son and heir
Of nothing in particular

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way?
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

There's a club if you'd like to go
You could meet somebody who really loves you
So you go and you stand on your own
And you leave on your own
And you go home and you cry
And you want to die

When you say it's gonna happen now
When exactly do you mean?
See I've already waited too long
And all my hope is gone

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way?
I am human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does:

I wish I had your patience and levelheadedness, EO. 
And because I don’t, when I first heard of the Tex incident, some wildly different Morrissey lyrics sprang to mind. To wit…

8449E53A-F066-4B22-883F-1037C3FEDE20.jpeg.b961037b737cedfb0cb333a4ce90fddc.jpeg

😁

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I would hand in my Membership until he leaves

Walker shoud never play AFL again. He has no Respect for it

That’s a bit over the top don’t you think? He made a private, racist comment to a mate, that was overheard. We don’t even know what he actually said. He copped  6 games and a $20000.00 fine, not to mention public humiliation. Think he has copped his whack. You want to end his AFL career, seriously?

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

8 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

It beggars belief to me that an AFL captain, who has made a massive mistake isn't considered a trade target by demonlanders. 

Tall forwards are an area of deficiency for Melbourne and we could get him for next to nothing.

Again I don't condone racism and am uncfortable that we call Mark Williams choco given he said it was based on racism to begin with in an SEN interview but he didn't care anymore.

Can you link to the interview please?

As far as I knew, he was called 'Choco' when he was a kid because he loved a specific type of chocolate ice cream.

Williams himself didn't know he had distant Jamaican heritage until he was a grown man.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I wish I had your patience and levelheadedness, EO. 
And because I don’t, when I first heard of the Tex incident, some wildly different Morrissey lyrics sprang to mind. To wit…

8449E53A-F066-4B22-883F-1037C3FEDE20.jpeg.b961037b737cedfb0cb333a4ce90fddc.jpeg

😁

From what I understand Tex didn't wish anybody to be blugeoned to death

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Redleg said:

He made a private, racist comment to a mate, that was overheard.

1. Shouldn't be making the comment in any context.

2. Not sure the middle of a footy ground during an SANFL match is a "private" context.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Can you link to the interview please?

As far as I knew, he was called 'Choco' when he was a kid because he loved a specific type of chocolate ice cream.

Williams himself didn't know he had distant Jamaican heritage until he was a grown man.

Lord Nev I will PM you. It was in an interview with Lyon and Watson.

I'm so busy doing nothing in lockdown 6 it will be in the next 24 hours

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

That’s a bit over the top don’t you think? He made a private, racist comment to a mate, that was overheard. We don’t even know what he actually said.

With respect, this noncommittal, lackadaisical type of response is a large part of the problem. The “it wasn’t THAT bad” attitude will only serve to perpetuate the scourge that is bigotry. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wrecker46 said:

From what I understand Tex didn't wish anybody to be blugeoned to death

I never suggested he did. I wasn’t being serious. I thought the cheesy grin emoji would suffice. 

3 minutes ago, Freddy Fuschia said:

We still have the no [censored] policy, so that’s a “no”. Definitely.

Again I don't condone whatever it is he has said. 

He is a previous AFL captain so I don't think the no DH policy applies. He must do alot right.

We would get him in a fire sale and fix our biggest deficiency.

• Facepalm 1
  • Vomit 1

A simple and respectful no to OP. I don't get why people get so emotional and critical of peoples opinions - no need to get nasty. 

I get where you are coming from, he lacks too much common-sense, ethics and integrity, which would upset the mental balance of our team. if we could recruit him purely on the basis of his football talent, then I would actually take a look at it as I think he has a good understanding in how to play the CHF hit up role. Probably still in the top 5 in the comp. Set shot kicking is also pretty good. 

Edited by CYB
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

The only thing interesting about Taylor Walker is whether Bayley Fritsch can pass him on the goalkicking. 3 rounds, ten goals, get it done. Ideally he would pass that line during the game against Adelaide, too.

What a 360-degree boofhead.

• Like 1

Up until the 2017 GF I would have said yes, throw everything at him.  
Thought he was a great leader but all that evaporated in those two hours.  
He showed absolutely no leadership, and then his treatment of Jake Lever was the final straw.  
Would resign if he came to us.
😡😡🤮🤮

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wrecker46 said:

Tex isn't the sharpest tool in the shed but he was made captain so he must have a few smarts.

I don't condone racism in any way but I also believe in second chances.

Our key forwards aren't great and when on song Tex is a gun that could win us a premiership.

🤦🏼‍♂️

Football is about many things but, as Paul Roos noted when he came to the club, one of the important aspects of a club ultimately becoming successful is that thing often described as it’s “culture”.

Walker can’t be drafted because he’s not available as he’s still an Adelaide player. If that situation changed and he were available, it’s unlikely that those in charge would risk the club’s reputation, its unity of purpose and its culture for a player who has shown he has so little respect for others as this man has. A thousand times “no”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

1. Shouldn't be making the comment in any context.

2. Not sure the middle of a footy ground during an SANFL match is a "private" context.

49 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

With respect, this noncommittal, lackadaisical type of response is a large part of the problem. The “it wasn’t THAT bad” attitude will only serve to perpetuate the scourge that is bigotry. 

I'm with you on this.

The fact that it was normal for him to throw a racist slur in normal conversation is deeply worrying.

It wasn't in the heat of the game. He can't claim "These types of words were ingrained in my speech but I know they cause hurt so have been trying to actively remove them from conditioning. Unfortunately in the pressure of the game I relapsed. There is no excusing my words, but I am actively trying to improve myself.

I bet he would never refer to someone he knew well with those words, but he did about someone he didn't know well. 

As an experienced leader this is unacceptable, and he deserves to pay the consequences.

• Like 1
  • Love 1