CHANGES: Rd 08 vs Sydney

Demonland

57 minutes ago, Garbo said:

If Fritsch is out and Viney missing a few, I’d like to see Weid and Sparrow both come in. The only question then is does Tmac go back or stay forward. If back then I’d like to see Bedford or Kade Chandler be given a run, other wise Petty comes in down back for Tomlinson.

Agree with this, and with Petty coming in. Weid gives us a replacement aerialist for Fritsch which is important as it continues the gameplan of either marking , but at least bringing to ground fro Pickett etc. Tmac stays forward

17 hours ago, A F said:

Hickey has an excellent record against Max. Used to really kill him when Hickey was at St Kilda.

Yep, I like this. Good idea. Our MC aren't afraid to try some interesting moves either, so it'll be intriguing to see what tweaks we make now that a few important cogs (Viney, Tomlinson and Fritsch) are out.

I think you are forgetting what a brilliant game Jackson had when Max was monstered last week. The fact that so much attention was on him ( Max), freed us up to let loose the brilliance of Jackson. Get used to it AFL teams, there is very little you can do about it with such a brilliant combination.

• Like 1

For mine - 

IN: Weid, Sparrow, Harmes 

OUT: Tomlinson, Baker, Melksham

McDonald to CHB 

Melksham stays if Fritta is rubbed out

Edited by DemonLad5
  • Like 1

imo

OUT: Tomlinson (knee), Fritsch (susp), ANB, Baker, Jones (to sub again)

IN: Petty, Weideman, Chandler, Harmes

What I would do:

In: Weideman, Petty, Harmes, Bedford
Out: Brown, Brayshaw, Fritsch, Tomlinson

* Playing Tom Mcdonald isn't an option.
* Brayshaw getting so easily side stepped on the boundary line was too much for me. He is an inside player. So put him in the guts or not at all. Ball use was also horrific and turned it over at crucial times of the game.
* Weideman should have been chosen over Brown initially. And should be chosen over him now. No special treatment. 
* Bedford in the wet weather will be handy. 

What Goodwin will do:
In: Weideman, Harmes. 
Out: Fritsch, Jones

* He'll play Tom Mcdonald back.

Edited by Dr.D

48 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

What I would do:

In: Weideman, Petty, Harmes, Bedford
Out: Brown, Brayshaw, Fritsch, Tomlinson

* Playing Tom Mcdonald isn't an option.
* Brayshaw getting so easily side stepped on the boundary line was too much for me. He is an inside player. So put him in the guts or not at all. Ball use was also horrific and turned it over at crucial times of the game.
* Weideman should have been chosen over Brown initially. And should be chosen over him now. No special treatment. 
* Bedford in the wet weather will be handy. 

What Goodwin will do:
In: Weideman, Harmes. 
Out: Fritsch, Jones

* He'll play Tom Mcdonald back.

Melksham to get another game then??

3 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

For mine - 

IN: Weid, Sparrow, Harmes 

OUT: Tomlinson, Baker, Melksham

McDonald to CHB 

Melksham stays if Fritta is rubbed out

With Fritter now free to play, this is what I would do, but I suspect Goody won't drop Melksham. 

5 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Sparrow a very good chance this week you'd think...

Richardson: “He was the best player on the ground by some margin."

I hope he plays. I watched the Casey game and I'll tow the same line as Richo and say he was by far BOG by a mile.

Sometimes this is the kind of game he needs at VFL level just to get his hands on the footy. Hope he comes in now and gets given some good midfield minutes now that Viney is out. 

His hardness and attack on the ball is very similar. 

• Like 8

I would look to have as little disruption to the forward and back structure as possible.

Petty for Tomlinson and with the support of the senior defenders, May, Lever, Hibberd and Salem, I think he will be very much a like for like replacement. Get him into the team and get him some experience.

Forwards to line up the way they did last week. Tmac in the team gives us a lot of options and flexibility as the situation last week showed.

Midfield I would slot Sparrow into Viney's position with one of Melksham, Baker or Jones being dropped and the other two in the 23 with one of them as medical sub.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I hope he plays. I watched the Casey game and I'll tow the same line as Richo and say he was by far BOG by a mile.

Sometimes this is the kind of game he needs at VFL level just to get his hands on the footy. Hope he comes in now and gets given some good midfield minutes now that Viney is out. 

His hardness and attack on the ball is very similar. 

100%. Always though of him as a bit of a Viney Jnr, so good opportunity for him to maybe spend more time that kind of role, rather than bits and pieces. Think we missed a bit of that tone-setting aggression Viney brings on the weekend.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dino rover said:

I like this but with Chandler not Bedford who has some tricks has performed well and is good on the chase and defensive acts

Having been able to watch a fair bit of VFL this season, I like both of these guys.

Chandler is a footballer in the true sense of the word - he has good judgement, skills and decision-making but no stand out attributes.

What excites me about Bedford is his first 5-10 metres after he gets the ball. There are very few players, if any, in the AFL with that level of acceleration.

If he knuckles down and learns to use that acceleration defensively, he and Kozzy could form one of the best one-two punch small forward duos in the league.

• Like 1

Really want to see Sparrow in this week, I thought he was comfortably BOG. Harmes got some good numbers but still looked a bit lazy for me, some of his tackles were half efforts. Fritta getting a reprieve makes it tough for Weid, assuming Brown gets another go. 

I said this in the Brown thread last week with no response, how look do we persist with Brown if he has another quiet week? Assuming Weid puts in another strong VFL performance. 

More headaches for the selection committee!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Pates said:

Really want to see Sparrow in this week, I thought he was comfortably BOG. Harmes got some good numbers but still looked a bit lazy for me, some of his tackles were half efforts. Fritta getting a reprieve makes it tough for Weid, assuming Brown gets another go. 

I said this in the Brown thread last week with no response, how look do we persist with Brown if he has another quiet week? Assuming Weid puts in another strong VFL performance. 

Brown is our FF. Of the three, the one with the most standing in the game and is the best player is Ben Brown. I know we have 6 weeks of form and the bias of a high selection in Weideman but Brown is the FF we have committed to.

I wonder if, over the course of the season, we slowly build to our desired forward set up that we had before injuries in the pre-season. We have to make some tough decisions with our cap to avoid a Collingwood-like situation with retention of players on large coin. TMac is on a bit and we tried to move him on already...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pates said:

You don't think Fritta and Kossie got goals because of BBB taking the first defender.?

He also gave some team play and one just was an inch too short.'

Two on his first day a couple of Score involvements  and getting his hands in the ball about 6 times was ok for a start.

Give him time he might even get a good pass or two. 

It's about all the forwards as a group also. 

• Like 2

If you look at Richo's summary of the two's on the MFC website, Sparrow was nominated BOG and Harmes first game back from an injury and not too bad.....therefore it's Sparrow in front of Harmes for Baker.

I reckon they'll go Petty for Tomlinson, Sparrow for Baker. Jones got a game last week so he's back to the medical sub. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Brown is our FF. Of the three, the one with the most standing in the game and is the best player is Ben Brown. I know we have 6 weeks of form and the bias of a high selection in Weideman but Brown is the FF we have committed to.

I wonder if, over the course of the season, we slowly build to our desired forward set up that we had before injuries in the pre-season. We have to make some tough decisions with our cap to avoid a Collingwood-like situation with retention of players on large coin. TMac is on a bit and we tried to move him on already...

There is absolutely no way McDonald and Wiedeman are both at Melbourne next year unless McDonald re-reinvents himself in defence or Melbourne wins the premiership and everyone decides to stay on board for the ride.

Wied is gone at end of year in any other world.

• Like 1

BBB had a quiet start but was a great addition to the team . I got very excited when he lined up from 55m . Understandably rusty .

Thought Bailey was in trouble then saw Dangerfields report and thought they were identical .

Tom then Harry for Thomlinson and Weids in the forward line . He has played a few games with Browny already .

I like Chandler .

In: Weideman Harmes Sparrow Chandler

Out: Tomlinson Baker Jones Melksham 

I don't think we will be ruthless enough to do this but, you have to reward players and pick off form. Baker's ball use was dreadful, Melksham has no pressure whatsoever and tries to take on the tackler far too much. If he's not kicking goals or delivering the ball inside 50 with precision I don't see a place for him. Jones needs a rest and looks tired. Chandler has been playing up forward and through the midfield for stints which is a bonus. With Brown and Weid, the extra pressure forward will really help. Sparrow simply must play based off his best on ground performance in the VFL.

• Facepalm 1

51 minutes ago, 58er said:

You don't think Fritta and Kossie got goals because of BBB taking the first defender.?

He also gave some team play and one just was an inch too short.'

Two on his first day a couple of Score involvements  and getting his hands in the ball about 6 times was ok for a start.

Give him time he might even get a good pass or two. 

It's about all the forwards as a group also. 

To clarify, I’m not in the slightest bit worried about his relatively quiet game. In fact I fully expected it, and I also agree that Brown brought a contest at every ball that came into him allowing Fritta, Kozzie, and even Jackson at one point the opportunity at the ground ball. 

He’s going to take some time before he hits his peak, I guess I’m wondering if it’s fair on Sam if he puts in good performances but isn’t rewarded should Brown not meet the standards expected. 

7 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

In : Petty, sparrow

Out: Baker , Tomlinson

Agree with this. Keep it simple. Petty takes Tomlinson’s role. Sparrow takes Viney’s position in the middle.  

Baker wouldn’t have played last weekend if Sparrow had been available. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Pates said:

2.1 is a quiet week? Looking forward to when he has a good week then, let alone a dominant week.

• Like 2