Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Chook said:

There is absolutely no way McDonald and Wiedeman are both at Melbourne next year unless McDonald re-reinvents himself in defence or Melbourne wins the premiership and everyone decides to stay on board for the ride.

Wied is gone at end of year in any other world.

We'd be crazy to let the Weid go. He is 5 years younger than TMac so reckon TMac might be the odd man out. No disrespect to TMac he's been great this year for us. Maybe we can keep both somehow!

The Weid is the future up top and Petty is the future down back.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Feel like Ben Brown had an 'almost' game. Could have easily kicked 4 goals. His 3rd shot was inches away from being over and the last quarter he spilled a contested mark in front of the square. Couple

OUT: Melksham As said the last few changes threads

Can’t believe the calls for brown to be dropped, zero chance that happens was his 1st game fir a new club will take him a few games to gel with his teammates 

Posted Images


7 minutes ago, SPC said:

In: Petty, Chandler, Sparrow

Out: Tomlinson, Baker, Jones

This is where I have settled in my mind as well. We need an all year Tomlinson plan and TMac pre last week was coaches votes as a forward the prior 2. Petty deserves first shot and will look even better with May in the back 7 with him. Sparrow replaces Viney is a no brainer on role and form. This pushes Brayshaw back to the wingers club and Baker out. Chandler for Jones just gives us that increased speed and pressure that I think is needed with TMac and Brown. I would also swap Melksham for Harmes or Bedford but feel that 4 changes may be the tip of too much change. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Simon Port said:

In: Weideman Harmes Sparrow Chandler

Out: Tomlinson Baker Jones Melksham 

I don't think we will be ruthless enough to do this but, you have to reward players and pick off form. Baker's ball use was dreadful, Melksham has no pressure whatsoever and tries to take on the tackler far too much. If he's not kicking goals or delivering the ball inside 50 with precision I don't see a place for him. Jones needs a rest and looks tired. Chandler has been playing up forward and through the midfield for stints which is a bonus. With Brown and Weid, the extra pressure forward will really help. Sparrow simply must play based off his best on ground performance in the VFL.

I’m seeing a lot of posts like this that have both Tomlinson and Jones out. 

It’s only one of them - Jones was the sub, not in the 22. If you replace Tomlinson with someone, Jones automatically reverts to the sub and doesn’t free up another spot. 

4 hours ago, A F said:

2.1 is a quiet week? Looking forward to when he has a good week then, let alone a dominant week.

And the .1 was so close to a goal that if the goal umpire had called it a goal I’m 99% sure it would have survived a score review. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Better days ahead said:

We'd be crazy to let the Weid go. He is 5 years younger than TMac so reckon TMac might be the odd man out. No disrespect to TMac he's been great this year for us. Maybe we can keep both somehow!

The Weid is the future up top and Petty is the future down back.

I think you're right...only time will tell.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Chook said:

There is absolutely no way McDonald and Wiedeman are both at Melbourne next year unless McDonald re-reinvents himself in defence or Melbourne wins the premiership and everyone decides to stay on board for the ride.

Wied is gone at end of year in any other world.

If we are smart, we trade McDonald out to clear out some cap space and keep Weideman. But I am not sure that will work out the way we want. Weideman would have lots of currency. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A F said:

2.1 is a quiet week? Looking forward to when he has a good week then, let alone a dominant week.

Yeah he kicked 2 goals against the worst team in the league.  He only took 1 mark.    He was very quiet.

Needs to do much better against the Swans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what they'll do re. Tomlinson.  I've been firmly in the keep TMac forward camp, but I do remember he was in All Australian conversations as a defender once upon a time, so he can definitely defend.  The knock on him was his decision making and disposal coming out of the backline.  Now we have May, and Salem is in career best form as the distributor, the Tomlinson role could suit him to a tee.  Allows us to get Wedeman in, just means Petty would be stiff.  And can Wied play the TMac role as good as TMac?  Not sure about that until we see it.

Think we have been better with Brayshaw on the wing, as much as I'd like him to be back in the guts.  He has grown into the role and is important structurally.  I think bringing Sparrow in, pushing Brayshaw back to the wing and leaving Baker out is the best option to cover Viney.  The other option of TMac to the wing, Weideman forward, Brayshaw to stay in the guts, Petty in for Tommo and Baker out, might also be worth a look.

Hopefully Brown is better for the run, I was watching him closely off the ball on Sunday and he could not get a millimetre of separation on his opponent.  Some of our clean centre clearances and quick rebounds were a full forward's dream, but he really struggled to get a step on McKay.  Hopefully just rusty.

I shall watch on with interest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In: Petty, Sparrow, Jones (starting 22), Bedford (medical sub)
Out: Tomlinson (😭), Viney (😢), Baker

Dropping Brown after one game is ridiculous

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

Yeah he kicked 2 goals against the worst team in the league.  He only took 1 mark.    He was very quiet.

Needs to do much better against the Swans.

Was also double and triple teamed on occasions and was held or scragged every time he went for a mark.. With all the attention he got allowed Fritta to get off the chain.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, loges said:

Was also double and triple teamed on occasions and was held or scragged every time he went for a mark.. With all the attention he got allowed Fritta to get off the chain.

Yes you nailed it Loges.

With BBB ( just acclimatising) Tommy (even quiet) The third defender ( or fourth) if you count Jacko it's no wonder that they ran out of defenders viz. Bailey 6 goals and Kossie 3 and about 6 others on the loose kicking goals.

Its a team game P2J so don't Go potting BBB in his first game. 2 goals  is just about his average by the way and he was quiet but also credit to his opponent.

Will have big days like Bailey did and above all each forward and mid are up for scoring. Even Salo drifting down.

Total  wins and Roles played are the way we will be hardest to beat.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

If we are smart, we trade McDonald out to clear out some cap space and keep Weideman. But I am not sure that will work out the way we want. Weideman would have lots of currency. 

Just let This year take care  Of itself Jaded. Thank our luck that Tmac did not find a suitor so he can be a key forward or Blackman as Well.

He can interchange with Petty.

Weid will get opportunities This year and we hope he also performs up to his best.

But I am not sure he is a better forward  than Tommy In the team aspect of forward play. He makes room and opportunities fir our other forwards and his physical strength is impressive plus his high marking at the top of his reach.

Tommy might also be a better replacement for Adam down back than Petty but I believe It will make Petty giving him first op on the Key Position in defence. We can always flip Tmac and Petty from back to forward and reverse.

PS Credit to Simon for pulling the trigger on Sunday plus his move of Jacko to the ruck in the third quarter. We are starting to get some versatile soldiers with ability to influence results let's not let the baby out with the bath water far too soon.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 58er said:

Just let This year take care  Of itself Jaded. Thank our luck that Tmac did not find a suitor so he can be a key forward or Blackman as Well.

He can interchange with Petty.

Weid will get opportunities This year and we hope he also performs up to his best.

But I am not sure he is a better forward  than Tommy In the team aspect of forward play. He makes room and opportunities fir our other forwards and his physical strength is impressive plus his high marking at the top of his reach.

Tommy might also be a better replacement for Adam down back than Petty but I believe It will make Petty giving him first op on the Key Position in defence. We can always flip Tmac and Petty from back to forward and reverse.

PS Credit to Simon for pulling the trigger on Sunday plus his move of Jacko to the ruck in the third quarter. We are starting to get some versatile soldiers with ability to influence results let's not let the baby out with the bath water far too soon.

 

 

Back man not Bl........n ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be the week to rest Kossi.

Chandler or Bedford.

Maximum pressure is then on all the small forwards to hold their spot.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pates said:

To clarify, I’m not in the slightest bit worried about his relatively quiet game. In fact I fully expected it, and I also agree that Brown brought a contest at every ball that came into him allowing Fritta, Kozzie, and even Jackson at one point the opportunity at the ground ball. 

He’s going to take some time before he hits his peak, I guess I’m wondering if it’s fair on Sam if he puts in good performances but isn’t rewarded should Brown not meet the standards expected. 

Time please Dees fans are far too impatient!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, No10 said:

Might be the week to rest Kossi.

Chandler or Bedford.

Maximum pressure is then on all the small forwards to hold their spot.

Ridiculous comment on any level. Chandler will get his opportunity just drop Melksham if he doesn't perform.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The weeks go so slow when your team is dominating.  Its not fair we have to wait a whole week to see us win and to get our hit of Kozzie and LJ straight into the veins.

I call on the AFL to expand the season to 44 games, two games per week!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Swans may have Rampe (189cm) back but have lost Melican (193cm).  That leaves Tom McCartin (193cm) as their only tall back. 

  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Might not be popular on here, but I think there is a good chance Harmes will come in for Viney to play the defensive midfielder role as he has done this before and Sydney have a number of midfielders that are damaging clearance players (Kennedy, Parker, Florent).  Alternative is obviously Sparrow who would be more deserving - but I don't know if I've seen him lock down on a player in the way the at Viney / Harmes have.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigFez said:

I have no idea what they'll do re. Tomlinson.  I've been firmly in the keep TMac forward camp, but I do remember he was in All Australian conversations as a defender once upon a time, so he can definitely defend.  The knock on him was his decision making and disposal coming out of the backline.  Now we have May, and Salem is in career best form as the distributor, the Tomlinson role could suit him to a tee.  Allows us to get Wedeman in, just means Petty would be stiff.  And can Wied play the TMac role as good as TMac?  Not sure about that until we see it.

Think we have been better with Brayshaw on the wing, as much as I'd like him to be back in the guts.  He has grown into the role and is important structurally.  I think bringing Sparrow in, pushing Brayshaw back to the wing and leaving Baker out is the best option to cover Viney.  The other option of TMac to the wing, Weideman forward, Brayshaw to stay in the guts, Petty in for Tommo and Baker out, might also be worth a look.

Hopefully Brown is better for the run, I was watching him closely off the ball on Sunday and he could not get a millimetre of separation on his opponent.  Some of our clean centre clearances and quick rebounds were a full forward's dream, but he really struggled to get a step on McKay.  Hopefully just rusty.

I shall watch on with interest.

I think we need to try both TMac and Petty options before we commit to a longer term solution. Also having TMac as a pure winger is being overlooked. This would allow both Weid and Petty in the team and is what TMac actually trained for. Only problem is what this will do for rotations and in particular Angus Brayshaw, whom was quite ordinary in the middle on the weekend.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Jaded said:

If we are smart, we trade McDonald out to clear out some cap space and keep Weideman. But I am not sure that will work out the way we want. Weideman would have lots of currency. 

I wouldn’t be in favour of this Jaded. Tommy has revived his career, and offloading clear best 22 players to save cap space has a bit of a Collingwood smell about it.

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fritsch back in the mix has changed my view to bring Weid back in automatically. I also thought Tmac could go back but watching Goodwins post match he very quickly raised Petty’s name (also noted Tmac’s good form). I thought Petty might also be injured but no mention on the injury list.
 

The selectors chose to stick with Tmac and Fritsch against the Tigers. They have since brought in Brown. Do they want to continue changing the formula?
 

If they want to tinker at the margins, then Petty comes in for Tomlinson and Tmac returns forward, with Weid out of the Team. Brayshaw wing and Sparrow replacing Baker. 

If they want to shake it up, Weid in as a forward and Tmac to wing, Petty back. Brayshaw miscellaneous role similar to Jordan. I know that pre-season this was trialled, but we are also 7-0 with Tmac as a forward. 
 

Will be fascinating to see what they do, but on precedent I’m looking at the former option (minor tinkering). 
 

wouldn't be surprised if one of our small forwards needs a rest and one of Chandler / Bedford come in. Or Jones replaced.

 

Be back tomorrow night to change my opinion.

W

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

I don't normally do this....but I thought I should give my possible line up against the Sydney Swans.

Left Back Pocket             Full Back          Right Back Pocket

Michael Hibberd 14      Steven May 1         Harry Petty 35

Left Half Back Flank      Centre Half Back    Right Half Back Flank

Christian Salem 3              Jake Lever 8             Jayden Hunt 29

Left Wing                           Centre                           Right Wing

Ed Langdon 15                Clayton Oliver 13          Tom McDonald 25

Left Half Forward Flank    Centre Half Forward      Right Half Forward Flank

Kysaiah Pickett 36                Sam Weideman 26              Jake Melksham 18

Left Forward Pocket               Full Forward                  Right Forward Pocket

Bayley Fritsch 31                    Ben Brown 50                     Charlie Spargo 9

Ruck                                             Ruck Rover                              Rover

Max Gawn 11                          Christian Petracca 5           Angus Brayshaw 10   

 

Interchange

Nathan Jones 2    Luke Jackson 6   Trent Rivers 24    James Jordon 23

Medical Substitute

Tom Sparrow 32 or Alex Neal-Bullen 30

Ins: Sam Weideman,   Harry Petty  and Tom Sparrow (medical substitute)

Outs: Adam Tomlinson,  Jack Viney (injured) and Oskar Baker (omitted)

 

My reasoning for the tall forward line is because the Sydney Swans will be stretched for height in defense. We can also play Tom McDonald (who should have the fitness to do it) on the wing and he can help out in defense or drift forward. I also think that Harry Petty should get the first shot at Lance "Buddy" Franklin but if he can't handle him then Steven May can move onto him.

Edited by Supreme_Demon
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Supreme_Demon said:

 

I don't normally do this....but I thought I should give my possible line up against the Sydney Swans.

Left Back Pocket             Full Back          Right Back Pocket

Michael Hibberd 14      Steven May 1         Harry Petty 35

Left Half Back Flank      Centre Half Back    Right Half Back Flank

Christian Salem 3              Jake Lever 8             Jayden Hunt 29

Left Wing                           Centre                           Right Wing

Ed Langdon 15                Clayton Oliver 13          Tom McDonald 25

Left Half Forward Flank    Centre Half Forward      Right Half Forward Flank

Kysaiah Pickett 36                Sam Weideman 26              Jake Melksham 18

Left Forward Pocket               Full Forward                  Right Forward Pocket

Bayley Fritsch 31                    Ben Brown 50                     Charlie Spargo 9

Ruck                                             Ruck Rover                              Rover

Max Gawn 11                          Christian Petracca 5           Angus Brayshaw 10   

 

Interchange

Nathan Jones 2    Luke Jackson 6   Trent Rivers 24    James Jordon 23

Medical Substitute

Tom Sparrow 32 or Alex Neal-Bullen 30

Ins: Sam Weideman,   Harry Petty  and Tom Sparrow (medical substitute)

Outs: Adam Tomlinson,  Jack Viney (injured) and Oskar Baker (omitted)

 

My reasoning for the tall forward line is because the Sydney Swans will be stretched for height in defense. We can also play Tom McDonald (who should have the fitness to do it) on the wing and he can help out in defense or drift forward. I also think that Harry Petty should get the first shot at Lance "Buddy" Franklin but if he can't handle him then Steven May can move onto him.

Too many position changes unnecessary at best.

Tmac  stay at CHF 
Petty  at CHB
Lever BP 
Angus on wing
Sparrow in interchange 
Weid not named in 22 
 

IN      Petty Chandler Sparrow 

OUT   Tomlinson Baker Melksham/Jones 

 

Watching brief on Jones/Melksham  and Hunty but he like most played a great 2nd half.

Remember last  half score Was 10.3 to a paltry 2.2!!!   So nothing wrong with that form.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    DUCKING A PLUCKING by George On The Outer

    With seven consecutive wins for 2021 behind it, and not having played well in its previous game,  Melbourne was ripe for the picking (or plucking) by the Sydney Swans. However, in the end, it was the Ducks who found themselves plucked by a Demons side that continues its relentless successful roll for the Season. Or did the Demons narrowly duck a plucking themselves? Sydney brought its usual game style to the M.C.G.  Get in front and then shut down the game, scrap and refuse to mov

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE MERRY, MERRY MONTH OF MAY by The Oracle

    The month of May was a little more than halfway into its second day when the news came. Melbourne was on top of the AFL table for the first time since Round 3, 2005. As usual with the Demons, there was no time for celebration. They had just lost tough nut Jack Viney with yet another soft spot in his foot, Adam Tomlinson’s year was in ruins with what was subsequently confirmed as an ACL and Bayley Fritsch’s careless but unintentional fend off on North’s Tom Powell was about to see him charge

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BLUNDSTONE BOOTED by George on the Outer

    The tough Aussie Blundstone boot is made for true blue collar workers, and so it was at this aptly named stadium in Hobart, that the Demons were made to work their hardest for their seventh consecutive win of the season. From the outset, North Melbourne put scoreboard pressure on Melbourne with two majors at an early stage in the first quarter. The Demons fought back and temporarily had the lead but the Kangaroos responded to lead by five points at quarter time. This was not what the public

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNTROUBLED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were untroubled for the third week in a row as they went on a four quarter romp at Marvel Stadium to record a 107 point win over an undermanned bottom-of-the-ladder North Melbourne VFL. The scoring riot began about ten minutes into the game when Sam Weideman notched the first of four goals that could easily have been six or seven but for some uncharacteristic misses from close in. The Demon forward, spurned so far by the club’s AFL selectors, demonstrated a strong work rate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    I’LL GIVE THEE A WIND by Whispering Jack

    The football world was reminded this week about the last time Melbourne opened a season with six wins or more in a row. That was in 1965 when Sir Robert Gordon Menzies was Prime Minister of Australia and the country was fighting a war in faraway Vietnam. It was before Jack Viney’s father, Todd, was born — a time when the game was played almost exclusively on Saturdays and when Demon fans used to wake up in the morning mostly safe in the knowledge that there was not even the remotest possibility

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAKING HISTORY by KC from Casey

    This was a weekend of history with Anzac Day commemorations throughout the community including the sporting world including the VFL. For the Casey Demons, which originated from the Springvale Football Club founded in 1903, it was a double celebration as Saturday’s game was a celebration of the club’s 750th VFA/VFL match since admission to the competition in 1982. Springvale became the Casey Scorpions in 2005 when the club moved to Casey Fields and since 2017 has been known as the Casey Demo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE TWO ELEPHANTS NOT IN THE ROOM by WJ

    After another slow start when they conceded 2.3.15 to nothing in a handball-happy opening 15 minutes, the unflappable Demons delivered a warning sign of major proportions to the rest of the competition with their 34-point win over the reigning premiers in their Anzac Eve contest. And what made things even more ominous is that they did it without two elephants in the room - key forwards Ben Brown and Sam Weideman who have been amassing goals at VFL level while coming back from injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A TALE OF TWO HEROES by Whispering Jack

    On Saturday night at the ANZAC Day Eve game between Melbourne and Richmond, we will give recognition to the achievements of two great Demons who made significant contributions to the Melbourne Football Club over substantially different time spans. The first is the late Frank V “Checker” Hughes who was born on 26 February 1894 and began his career as a Richmond player in 1915. Shortly after, Hughes was called on to serve his country when he went to war during WW1. He returned from battle and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    TURNING POINT by The Oracle

    It wasn’t that long ago when Melbourne held sway in its Anzac Eve matches against Richmond. The early versions of the blockbuster saw the Demons home by 32 points in 2015 and 33 in 2016. When the turning point came it was dramatic and sudden. The Demons might have been on an upward curve in 2017 under new coach Simon Goodwin but so were the Tigers who had finished a disappointing 13th in 2016. When the teams met in Round 5 under lights in front of a crowd of 85,657 — the highest ever betwee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STARTING OVER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons made a successful return to the playing field with a 51 point away from home victory over the Box Hill Hawks. The visitors were starting over after a hiatus of almost 20 months and fielded a strong team of 14 AFL listed players against an undermanned opponent. And they showed from the first bounce that they were out to make up for lost time with an aggressive opening that saw them off to 21 point lead at the first break with thanks to a dominant midfield and two key forward

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NUTCRACKER by George on the Outer

    Q: How to crack a tough nut? A: Use a bigger hammer! It took Melbourne until the last quarter to crack the Hawthorn nut. These days, the Hawks under Alastair Clarkson simply don’t have the talent that served them so well in years gone, and they have to rely on not losing rather than trying to win.   The result is that the match became a slog for three quarters, as Hawthorn clogged the game, flooded heavily and simply stopped the Melbourne run.  Even in the first quarter the signs

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...