Jump to content

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview     

Luke Jackson's last quarter



Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Mental Demons said:

 

There is a lot of sense in what I say. if we have to carry him while he learns to be a forward, we will lose too many games to make the finals. Daw is a better forward. Courtney is a better ruck and kicks goals. We have two Browns who are better forwards than Jackson. Weid is a better forward too. Would you hold these guys out for Jackson? I think Chandler would have been more useful last Saturday and he definitely will be against the Saints. Crawl back up your own hole, fool.

 

You’re an I d i o t

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

The only reason to play Jackson at the moment is to increase his trade value. Jackson is superfluous to need and it was a mistake to draft him. He will never be a first ruck and if he can't make this team as a forward he will be playing at Casey most of the year. We have 2 guys running around Casey that would do Jackson's job better. Majac has been doing well and Andrew Courtney is a better ruck and a better forward. The best hope is that some team sees value in Jackson and take him off our hands. 

Jeepers, a bit rough hey? I sincerely hope Jackson turns out to be our own Bontempelli & you fill yourself with humble pie.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, Deebymistake said:

Jeepers, a bit rough hey? I sincerely hope Jackson turns out to be our own Bontempelli & you fill yourself with humble pie.

I don't have anything against Jackson personally and agree he has potential. If he turns out to be another Bontempelli, it will not be with us because he is years away from being a regular first choice, best 22. We just don't really have a job for him to do than be a forward. He will be better if he has to earn his place in the team by kicking lots of goals at Casey. I think it would be better for his career if we traded him at years end. Freo would be a better fit. They are still rebuilding, he would get more of a go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 58er said:

You are aptly named poster MD.

There is not an ounce of common sense in your post and didn't you see Jacko in the last quarter?

Yes kicking was wayward but he had a real breakdown poor guy.
 

He is a future star and 99% of Dees fans can see that. 
 

Please Crawl back into your burrow and go to sleep during the winter where you can't post such a cruel and inaccurate opinion.

did you watch the first 3 quarters? 

Logan Mcdonald from Sydney has already played better in his first game than Jackson has a forward. Fact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the original poster of this thread, I'm glad that 99% of supporters agree with me. MD is clearly wrestling with a different type of demon, I hope he finds the help that he needs. I will be watching Luke Jackson's development closely over the next few years and expect it to be a most enjoyable ride. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Mental Demons said:

I don't have anything against Jackson personally and agree he has potential. If he turns out to be another Bontempelli, it will not be with us because he is years away from being a regular first choice, best 22. We just don't really have a job for him to do than be a forward. He will be better if he has to earn his place in the team by kicking lots of goals at Casey. I think it would be better for his career if we traded him at years end. Freo would be a better fit. They are still rebuilding, he would get more of a go.

You play him as first ruck and he becomes a midfielder after that. You have no clue

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like the look of Jackson, but right now he is only giving us tantilising "flashes". I really want to see him put in a performance that has him involved in the game for the full 4 quarters. He also needed someone to come after he took that big grab and say, "mate, back yourself". I would've preferred to see him take the shot on and miss it, instead of passing to Petracca.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Pates said:

I really like the look of Jackson, but right now he is only giving us tantilising "flashes". I really want to see him put in a performance that has him involved in the game for the full 4 quarters. He also needed someone to come after he took that big grab and say, "mate, back yourself". I would've preferred to see him take the shot on and miss it, instead of passing to Petracca.

He should've passed the one previous to Petracca, it was nice to see him make up for it and dish it off. We need to keep encouraging that selfless culture.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 6:43 PM, Flower Magic said:

Watching this guy in the last quarter, I honestly believe that he is our next bona fide superstar. Quiet for three quarters, then someone or something flicked the switch. His marking became clean and precise, and his delivery by hand was perfect. He will improve his set shot kicking I'm sure, and will boot a few bags in the future. 

Just finished watching the replay again. No doubt Jackson has a very high upside. Some of the marks he took up forward, particularly in the second half were true class. 
 

l still don’t understand though why these guys are such unreliable kicks, particularly for goal. Jackson was the worst offender on Saturday, some awful shanks, but you could also put Tracca, Max, Harmes, Brayshaw, even Fritz at various times times in the second half in that category. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 7:10 PM, Little Goffy said:

A very young ruckman able to develop while playing a role adequately at the top level is nothing to be scoffed at.  Would be entirely happy if over the course of this season he just became enough of a potential headache that opponents have to take him seriously and make our mix of talls even harder to plan for.

Heard Max earlier in the year describing his breakout game (l think in 2013) down at Geelong when everything clicked for him. I remember it: clearly BOG, we won well, and Max’s became thereafter one of the elite players in the game. Before that he was good at times, but hardly elite, and inconsistent. 
 

Jackson will have one of those days in the next year or so, but l think he will be more Carey than Gawn. Huge potential.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

Just finished watching the replay again. No doubt Jackson has a very high upside. Some of the marks he took up forward, particularly in the second half were true class. 
 

l still don’t understand though why these guys are such unreliable kicks, particularly for goal. Jackson was the worst offender on Saturday, some awful shanks, but you could also put Tracca, Max, Harmes, Brayshaw, even Fritz at various times times in the second half in that category. 

A lot of our players have technical issues with their actions ... we should have had a biomechanics expert down at the club over a decade ago

On top of that not many want to take on the big sticks (they'd rather hand it off) So a lack of confidence intensifies the issue.  And that in turn sends a clear message to the opposition

And many here have being saying as such (here) for a decade or more.  Not that the club would take any notice of what those on a fans site would say but can't they have thought of it themselves?

One of the most important aspects for a footballer is his ability to kick well under pressure (either perceived pressure or actual pressure)

Hit targets or turn the ball over ... miss an easy shot for goal (choke) and you hand the ball back to the opposition (an 11 point turn around can often result)

Do that against the good sides and you lose the game 

We will not beat the best sides until we sort out our poor kicking skills

It's terrific that we defeated Freo but the club needs to look at the bigger picture and become a lot more professional with regards to our disposal issues

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

He should've passed the one previous to Petracca, it was nice to see him make up for it and dish it off. We need to keep encouraging that selfless culture.

Encouraging selfless footy is great, and I'm all for it. But when you're ticking on to the final kicks of the game, the young bloke has taken a ripping mark, and Petracca wasn't actually in a much better position (he actually got called play on from his kick!), I would really have liked someone to give him a pat on the head and say, "well done mate, now kick the goal".

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2021 at 8:37 PM, Mental Demons said:

 

There is a lot of sense in what I say. if we have to carry him while he learns to be a forward, we will lose too many games to make the finals. Daw is a better forward. Courtney is a better ruck and kicks goals. We have two Browns who are better forwards than Jackson. Weid is a better forward too. Would you hold these guys out for Jackson? I think Chandler would have been more useful last Saturday and he definitely will be against the Saints. Crawl back up your own hole, fool.

 

See my posts before and after on this and you are still crucifying a 7 mane player if 19 years who is being developed as a ruck/ forward / on baller.

Perhsps you should consider your own medicine by looking for your own brain which as I don't  think your post displays any Useful contribution to this topic.

Not one person has  agreed about your ridiculous trading idea and I can't understand what LJ has done  ( more likely not done) for you to be so judgemental on a youngster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 58er said:

See my posts before and after on this and you are still crucifying a 7 mane player if 19 years who is being developed as a ruck/ forward / on baller.

Perhsps you should consider your own medicine by looking for your own brain which as I don't  think your post displays any Useful contribution to this topic.

Not one person has  agreed about your ridiculous trading idea and I can't understand what LJ has done  ( more likely not done) for you to be so judgemental on a youngster.

MD's last major target was none other than Steven May

So perhaps we should be looking at the positives (opposite outcomes lol)

So we could point MD towards an out of form player like Harmes in order to get James back into top form!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Just finished watching the replay again. No doubt Jackson has a very high upside. Some of the marks he took up forward, particularly in the second half were true class. 
 

l still don’t understand though why these guys are such unreliable kicks, particularly for goal. Jackson was the worst offender on Saturday, some awful shanks, but you could also put Tracca, Max, Harmes, Brayshaw, even Fritz at various times times in the second half in that category. 

Yes, we have a problem, and, yes, some of the kicking on Saturday was appalling. Not just shots at goal but also around the ground, particuarly the last kick into the forward line and especially in the final quarter.

For those who were not at the ground, though, it may be worth pointing out that there was a very fluky, strong wind blowing. Ostensibly toward the city end, but by the time it gets into the cauldron it seems to blow every which way. It was quite obvious that many of the kicks (from both teams) toward the goals at the city end were affected by the wind. And not in a good way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Yes, we have a problem, and, yes, some of the kicking on Saturday was appalling. Not just shots at goal but also around the ground, particuarly the last kick into the forward line and especially in the final quarter.

For those who were not at the ground, though, it may be worth pointing out that there was a very fluky, strong wind blowing. Ostensibly toward the city end, but by the time it gets into the cauldron it seems to blow every which way. It was quite obvious that many of the kicks (from both teams) toward the goals at the city end were affected by the wind. And not in a good way.

I was sitting down that end and it was really strong. The flags were blowing all day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Just finished watching the replay again. No doubt Jackson has a very high upside. Some of the marks he took up forward, particularly in the second half were true class. 
 

l still don’t understand though why these guys are such unreliable kicks, particularly for goal. Jackson was the worst offender on Saturday, some awful shanks, but you could also put Tracca, Max, Harmes, Brayshaw, even Fritz at various times times in the second half in that category. 

I’m not sure how many people questioning the goal kicking (rightly so) were at The G , but there was a pretty constant strong breeze all day.

It swirls inside the stadium and many times the ball came off the boot straight and then went rapidly in a complete different direction to the flags on the scoreboard.

Both teams had the same problem.

I’ll hazard a guess “Mental Demons” wasn’t at the ground this weekend.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Yes, we have a problem, and, yes, some of the kicking on Saturday was appalling. Not just shots at goal but also around the ground, particuarly the last kick into the forward line and especially in the final quarter.

For those who were not at the ground, though, it may be worth pointing out that there was a very fluky, strong wind blowing. Ostensibly toward the city end, but by the time it gets into the cauldron it seems to blow every which way. It was quite obvious that many of the kicks (from both teams) toward the goals at the city end were affected by the wind. And not in a good way.

Beat me to it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, re goal kicking accuracy, it was evident that fatigue was hitting most players late in quarters and last 10 min of each half. 

Nothing like real game pressure to push the players (who've not played 20 min quarters for over a year) into muscle burn while trying to settle for a shot on goal.

Also, it seemed to happen across the competition to greater or less degrees...

Hopefully, our goal kicking will improve as we acclimatise to the longer format and players "harden" during the season.

Oh, and on Jackson, will be a gun as he matures and realises his evident talents, but will take another year or two to do so...

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2021 at 9:07 PM, Mental Demons said:

I don't have anything against Jackson personally and agree he has potential. If he turns out to be another Bontempelli, it will not be with us because he is years away from being a regular first choice, best 22. We just don't really have a job for him to do than be a forward. He will be better if he has to earn his place in the team by kicking lots of goals at Casey. I think it would be better for his career if we traded him at years end. Freo would be a better fit. They are still rebuilding, he would get more of a go.

I'm assuming this is actually a baiting/stitch up account

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pates said:

Encouraging selfless footy is great, and I'm all for it. But when you're ticking on to the final kicks of the game, the young bloke has taken a ripping mark, and Petracca wasn't actually in a much better position (he actually got called play on from his kick!), I would really have liked someone to give him a pat on the head and say, "well done mate, now kick the goal".

Agree. Selfless footy is great but in my view when in range you take ownership and kick the bloody goal (unless someone is in goal square by themselves) then everyone will get around you after a good mark and more importantly slotting it through the big ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hell Bent said:

I’m not sure how many people questioning the goal kicking (rightly so) were at The G , but there was a pretty constant strong breeze all day.

It swirls inside the stadium and many times the ball came off the boot straight and then went rapidly in a complete different direction to the flags on the scoreboard.

Both teams had the same problem.

I’ll hazard a guess “Mental Demons” wasn’t at the ground this weekend.

 

This. There were a few shots from both teams where the ball swung violently to the left as it got near the goal line. Looked like someone left a door open !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pates said:

Encouraging selfless footy is great, and I'm all for it. But when you're ticking on to the final kicks of the game, the young bloke has taken a ripping mark, and Petracca wasn't actually in a much better position (he actually got called play on from his kick!), I would really have liked someone to give him a pat on the head and say, "well done mate, now kick the goal".

Watched the replay last night and you could hear the entire crowd groan as one when LJ passed it off.  Everyone wanted him to kick a big goal after taking that grab.  Imagine the confidence he would have gotten.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DELTA DEMONS by KC from Casey

    There was an ill wind blowing for the home side at Casey Fields on  Saturday but you wouldn’t have noticed if you turned up seven or eight minutes into the second quarter with the scoreboard showing the Casey Demons holding a lead of 7.5.47 to Footscray’s solitary point. Up to that stage, the depleted Dees combination had taken full advantage of the windy conditions and headed by veterans Nathan Jones, Jimmy Munro and Mitch White had came out of the blocks and plundered the Bulldogs’ defence.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ON THE FLY by George On The Outer

    After spending most of the previous day in the air, flying between Queensland and Victoria, it was hard to imagine the Demons would be at their best.   But this team was on the fly on the field as well and produced a clinical display which saw them record a 98 point win to put aside any questions about the side being out of form.   Certainly, the Suns who have fallen away badly in the second half of the season were their opponents, but with the Demons looking for a confidence boo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CITIUS, ALTIUS, FORTIUS by The Oracle

    This weekend, the Melbourne Football Club was supposed to embark on a tour that started with what looked like an innocent trip to the country’s sunny Gold Coast. However, the Covid19 pandemic intervened to bring them back home for this week at least. Next week, it’s off to the West Coast but conspiracy theorists are already suggesting that this interstate sojourn could take the team all the way across the country over the next month and indeed, there are cynics who even believe that it could bec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SNOWFLAKES FELL by Whispering Jack

    The snow that fell on the slopes of Victoria’s mountain districts in the winter of 1965 was not considered good enough to satisfy the enthusiasts. The really heavy snow that season came in two waves further north in July and August. The first descended on the national capital where “Pig Iron Bob” still held sway. Snow flurries touched the landscape all the way across the Blue Mountains. The next big snow extended further north up to the hills around Mackay in Queensland. Snowflakes fell inside t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 10

    DEES GIVE DOGS A BONE by George On The Outer

    First place versus second on the ladder promised to be a precursor to what can be expected in the coming finals race.  However, it was the Demons who faltered and gave the Bulldogs a bone to feed their hunger just weeks out from the end of the season. The win also sent the Dogs to the top of the ladder, a position they are unlikely to cede in the coming weeks, given their fixture. While Melbourne may now struggle to keep a spot in the top four with its draw and will likely depend on the res

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE WORM WILL TURN by The Oracle

    When I was asked to preview this game, I wasn’t sure whether it was going to be played in Darwin, on the Gold Coast or the MCG. I had no idea as to the identity of Melbourne’s opponent. This would have made for one hell of an interesting match preview so I’m glad that the AFL managed to reorganize its fixture to enable a game … any game at all … to proceed in Round 19. We’ll worry about the Gold Coast Suns or whoever they put us up against when the weekend’s done and dusted and if and when

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DRAWN AND DEEFLATED by George on the Outer

    1st v 17th ... it would seem a sure one way contest between the Hawks and the Demons but it was not to be with the game finishing in a draw, the only positive being the Demons still retain their top spot on the ladder. Melbourne was taught a football lesson by Al Clarkson, who with limited resources, just instructed his players to scrap, fight and surge the ball forward.  It stifled the Melbourne free flowing style of play and denied them the opportunities they could normally expect. I

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PINK RAIN by Whispering Jack

    There is no certainty about life under a pandemic. You wake up one morning without a care in the world; the sun’s shining and it’s a beautiful day. An hour later, everything’s up in the air, the entire state is on high alert and the apartment complex next door’s in lockdown. The simple decision you had to make about buying a ticket to the footy at the weekend suddenly might get put on the back burner. There are other things in life to prioritise and on top of that, they’re predicting rain for th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    COR BLIMEY by KC from Casey

    In years to come, the old timers will talk in wonderment about the “Avalon Avalanche” that hit Werribee’s Avalon Airport Oval on a mild winter’s afternoon at about ten minutes after the halfway mark of the game between the local Tigers and their cross town rivals, the Demons from Casey. At that moment in time, the game was poised as if on a knifepoint. Up until the main interval, it had been the visiting team which had maintained the lead from the start but it had struggled to entirely asse

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POWER FAILURE by George on the Outer

    South Australians should be well familiar with the damage that storms can do to the power supply.  But Port Power forgot those lessons on Thursday night football as they watched the Melbourne storm descend upon them from across the border and ruin their hopes of a top four placing. Just as equally, the win to the Demons cemented their spot in the top two and sent out the message that a team who had been going around in circles for the past couple of weeks, has in fact, turned into a cyclone

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CASEY SUFFER FIRST DEFEAT IN TWO YEARS

    The circumstances were a little unusual last Saturday night as KC from Casey was unavailable to report on the Casey Dees due to work commitments. On the ground things were somewhat unusual as well given that, although there was a game to be won on the night, preparations were also being made for the forthcoming Thursday night clash against Port Adelaide with Ben Brown rested for large slabs of the evening. It turned out perhaps, to be a stroke of genius for Melbourne with Brown making a strong c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles


×
×
  • Create New...