Oliver Rumours on Footy Classified

dazzledavey36

41 minutes ago, ChaserJ said:

He had an inconsistent year, and still would be incredibly difficult to replace. There are similar types, but few as valuable, and fewer of those that would be available:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/517468/going-to-war-why-a-wantaway-don-is-the-most-valuable-player-up-for-trade

Inconsistent?  I had him down as our most consistent all year rain, hail or shine regardless of how the rest of his team mates were performing.  Mostly not as well.

Should have won the Bluey quite comfortably with Tracc and May not too far behind in no particular order.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Thanks - missed that- don’t track all that stuff. Why is this still a talking point then? Or is it all melbourne lockdown-acosis?

(I’m in not locked down NNSW)

To be fair, I'd give about as much weight to a player manager's word as I would to a contemporary AFL reporter. But clearly the latter has called the former and there have been strong denials - to what end a manager would deny the story I don't know? - seems counter-productive if they had planted the seed in the first place. That's all I know. Sweet [censored] all. 

43 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Lyon’s response to the speculation is definitive IMO. Stop rumour mongering because you’re bored in isolation you bunch of nerds. 

Spot on ET and even if there is a remote whinge here or there from O then he is a bigger sooky La La than I thought. Lets forget this crap and get into the real trades that maybe happening

7 hours ago, whatwhatsaywhat said:

this

zerrett and pick 6 would be an extraordinary offer

on the flipside, clayton is the best mid i've ever seen in my time following the dees since the mid 80s

lyon's comments are interesting

How can he be the best mid we've had since the 80s when he wasn't even the best mid we had in 2020?

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How can he be the best mid we've had since the 80s when he wasn't even the best mid we had in 2020?

Who was the best player that you have ever seen and how many Club Champion did he win consecutively, how many Brownlow wins? 

WWSW might have to revisit his comment In a few years though if Trac keeps improving and stays consistent, as personally I believe Trac has the bigger ceiling. ?

Nightmare for me is that we lose Oliver and keep JV for another 5 years 

Its obvious to me who is the selfish one.Also obvious whose skill we would miss most. 

• Like 2

Decided to pop over to the Carlton board to see what they were saying about the Oliver rumour.

The very first post I read said that Pick 7 should get the deal done.

I closed out and reminded myself it’s never a good idea to pop over to the Carlton board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Facepalm 1

Was driving to Traralgon about March last year on a sporting assignment when I got a call. It was Clayton Oliver on a membership drive. I said I would re-sign, since he had called me! - but couldn't talk because I was driving. Headline: Clayton Oliver gets Bush Demon's signature after phone call.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Males said:

Who was the best player that you have ever seen and how many Club Champion did he win consecutively, how many Brownlow wins? 

WWSW might have to revisit his comment In a few years though if Trac keeps improving and stays consistent, as personally I believe Trac has the bigger ceiling. ?

True, Brian Wilson at his best tore teams apart running forward of centre.

• Like 1

So a few posters here heard Oliver was unhappy a week or two back.  And he may well have been.

What 23 year old wouldn't occasionally express annoyance in their workplace ?  Or even be momentarily unhappy if significant events happened in a short period of time that didn't please them in what's a cutthroat and emotive industry.

For all we know he was annoyed for a short period but has now settled down.

It will still be reported that he's unhappy, even though no-one posting here knows his frame of mind today.

I'm not concerned, but agree 2021 is huge on a number of levels.  I remain bullish about next year, but it's an important trade period and summer.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Males said:

well obviously not robbie flower; he only won one bluey truscott trophies, so he must've been hopeless to have not claimed that many despite playing in a perennially atrocious side...goes to show what a fallacy b&f placings are, really

i don't think the dees have, over the last 40-50 years going back to the mid-80s, had that many outstanding mids at all

oliver is an absolute a-grader in my view

trac definitely has the potential to challenge him, but for oliver to be so consistently outstanding from day dot has been so exciting to watch

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, P-man said:

Decided to pop over to the Carlton board to see what they were saying about the Oliver rumour.

The very first post I read said that Pick 7 should get the deal done.

I closed out and reminded myself it’s never a good idea to pop over to the Carlton board.

One of my good mates is a blues fan and he's constantly messaging me about this and he said the same thing, pick 7

I laughed and said, Clarry is contracted and one of the best young players Melbourne has ever had, so if he was 100% set on leaving and we couldn't change his mind, and you added Walsh and McKay to pick 7, i'd at least think about it for a minute before saying no. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd prefer to read all of the Trac and Clarry rumours when placed alongside the recent comments made by Jack Viney as a positive sign. We now appear to have a core group of influential players that aren't happy with second best any more. Let's hope it's infectious (sorry). 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kent said:

Its obvious to me who is the selfish one.Also obvious whose skill we would miss most. 

BANG ON CORRECT!!!

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Pretty sure that’s not the club’s strategy here.

And why all the noise about Carlton? If it’s the case that Oliver is actually upset about missing finals, surely he realises that Carlton finished 11th with a percentage of 94.3 (only 0.6 percentage points above Freo).

Not an obvious destination for a player apparently wishing to win the flag in the near future.

15 hours ago, ChaserJ said:

He had an inconsistent year, and still would be incredibly difficult to replace. There are similar types, but few as valuable, and fewer of those that would be available:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/517468/going-to-war-why-a-wantaway-don-is-the-most-valuable-player-up-for-trade

Interesting that Melbourne have three of the top ten on that rating. 

• Like 1