Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade Targets

Flag Favourites 3019

6 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Is it worth talking about Parfitt? Doubtful that he will leave Geelong but still remains unsigned. Would add a point of difference to our midfield with his speed and would do so relatively cheaply.

Doubt he'd be cheap. Excellent pressure player who can play forward and on ball. Scrappy by foot but isn't the only one there. I doubt the Cats are even thinking of letting him go. I'd like him but we'd have to move out a mid to get full value from him I think.

On 10/4/2020 at 3:09 PM, Moonshadow said:

Happy to disagree. Don't get me wrong, certainly don't want him traded, but I'd say Trac and May are our only untradable players at the mo

Occasionally I try to take these off

20201004_151030.jpg

Why are you wearing 3D glasses?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

My view on veterans is that they offer are better value return than draft picks. Geelong's model is the one to follow. The Cats have managed to beat the system by attracting veterans to help them stay in the finals race. This success means that their stars take less money. And in an era of free agency, being successful also helps attract quality free agents. The Cat's short-term strategy also has shown to have long term rewards.

This is not to say Lewis Jetta is the player to target, as he might be finished, but he has pace and skill, which we are lacking.

The Cats keep topping up because their best players remain in the window - Hawkins, Taylor, Ablett, Selwood, Dangerfield, Duncan - and some of them are too old that going backwards to go forwards isn't worthwhile.

Plus they have the advantage of being confident that they'll get more out of veterans for a number of reasons. Well coached, good leadership and probably the biggest one that they bring a lot of locals home who will be happy to be home. Guys are moving back to Geelong to be happy with their families, they want to keep playing and play well.

For all the reasons you laid out we shouldn't be opposed to veterans but I think we should look to add guys who are likely to settle in with the group and have a reason to play well or even improve. Brisbane have been the best example getting Hodge and then Birchall, getting them fit and them being half backs (or pockets really for Hodge), so playing them in spots where leadership and experience is at it's best value. 

Flying Jetta back across the country when he's already moved home, whilst probably retiring his cousin Nev doesn't really fit the bill. I'm a bit worried about his ageing legs but Isaac Smith makes more sense especially if we keep the kilometres low. There's probably others to consider as well. 

The other thing the Cats have done is had good success with mature age draft picks. Tim Kelly, Stewart, Menegola, Atkins. That's something we should keep trying to do.

2 hours ago, Smokey said:

Gee I'm glad you don't work for the club. This is cultural suicide in a team which lacks enough of it already. 

I wouldn't trade if it meant tearing at the fabric of the club, I guess I make it as a purely hypothetical observation. I still remember Max being beaten up by Port in Round 1 of 2019. It didn't seem like he was the cultural or spiritual leader there. This isn't a knock against him, just a knock against the idea that everyone follows his lead and we'd be nowhere without his leadership. I'd debate that, even from the outside looking in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

The other thing the Cats have done is had good success with mature age draft picks. Tim Kelly, Stewart, Menegola, Atkins. That's something we should keep trying to do.

Hannan  

TSmith 

Kielty 

vandenberg 

Maynard 

Walker 

MJones 

Terlich

Fritsch 

isn' a great track record

3 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

My view on veterans is that they offer are better value return than draft picks. Geelong's model is the one to follow. The Cats have managed to beat the system by attracting veterans to help them stay in the finals race. This success means that their stars take less money. And in an era of free agency, being successful also helps attract quality free agents. The Cat's short-term strategy also has shown to have long term rewards.

This is not to say Lewis Jetta is the player to target, as he might be finished, but he has pace and skill, which we are lacking.

I wholeheartedly disagree, true that it has kept them up, but this is what they are facing (these are national picks only since 2012):

Pick 16 - Jackson Thurlow

Pick 77 - Brad Hartman

Pick 16 - Darcy Lang

Pick 36 Jarred Jansen

Pick 41 - Jake Kolodjhashnji

Pick 10 - Nakia Cockatoo

Pick 47 - Cory Gregson

Pick 55 - Dean Gore

Pick 59 - Jordan Cunico

Pick 59 - Ryan Gardner 

Pick 66 - Sam Menegola

Pick 26 - Brandon Parfitt

Pick 40 - Tom Stewart

Pick 60 - Quinton Narkle 

Pick 68 - Tim House

Pick 69 - Ryan Abbott

Pick 22 - Lachie Fogarty

Pick 24 - Tim Kelly

Pick 36 - Charlie Constable

Pick 57 - Grien Myers

Pick 18 - Jordan Clark

Pick 48 - Ben Jarvis 

Pick 65 - Darcy Fort

Pick 74 - Oscar Brownless F/S

Pick 16 - Cooper Stephens 

Pick 19 - Sam De Koning

Pick 41 - Francis Evans

Pick 50 - Cameron Taheny 

Thats a lot of years with not much return, and I think its going to bite them. I can count only handful from above that may be part of their next premiership team.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Turner said:

Hannan  

TSmith 

Kielty 

vandenberg 

Maynard 

Walker 

MJones 

Terlich

Fritsch 

surely you mean a tick against avb and a cross against terlich...

i'd argue that hannan, given that he's still on our list and a semi-regular best 22 player after three years, is a tick, or at the least a question mark

Hannan 

TSmith 

Kielty 

vandenBerg 

Maynard 

Walker 

MJones 

Terlich 

Fritsch 

Edited by whatwhatsaywhat
  • Like 1

Just now, whatwhatsaywhat said:

surely you mean a tick against avb and a cross against terlich...

i'd argue that hannan, given that he's still on our list and a semi-regular best 22 player after three years, is a tick, or at the least a question mark

Hannan 

TSmith 

Kielty 

vandenBerg 

Maynard 

Walker 

MJones 

Terlich 

Fritsch 

terlich was 3rd in a bnf thats good enough for a tick for mine, havent seen vanders in the top 10 and the number of games he's been available for since he joined is hardly successful

• Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Axis of Bob said:

Matt Jones came 4th in that same B&F, only 3 votes adrift. If you're giving Terlich a tick then Jones gets one too.

sure he can have one on me xx

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turner said:

Hannan  

TSmith 

Kielty 

vandenberg 

Maynard 

Walker 

MJones 

Terlich

Fritsch 

Maynard and Walker were category B non footballers, they don't count, throws at the stumps with little downside.

Matty Jones was ok, if we could draft him again now I almost would, 5% more skilled and tougher and he plays 150 games. T Smith had the talent, the perfect kind of player we need just never had any luck. Let's see with Hore. Hannan not a failure and Vanders was a success - a poorly managed success.

We don't need miracles, and a Tim Kelly comes along once in a life time, just a couple of better fringe players and maybe one above average best 22 type. Mature agers let you turn the list over quicker too. You usually know full well if they are any good in 2 years and you aren't weakening the training standards or VFL side.

MFC might put a phone call to the Cats next week to ask what Nakia Cockatoo might be worth.  

We might be a chance for him to get a change of scenery. 

Of course his manager will need to be involved and Burgo and our MFC doctor will have to check him out.  

On 10/6/2020 at 1:00 PM, The Stigga said:

I wholeheartedly disagree, true that it has kept them up, but this is what they are facing (these are national picks only since 2012):

Pick 16 - Jackson Thurlow

Pick 77 - Brad Hartman

Pick 16 - Darcy Lang

Pick 36 Jarred Jansen

Pick 41 - Jake Kolodjhashnji

Pick 10 - Nakia Cockatoo

Pick 47 - Cory Gregson

Pick 55 - Dean Gore

Pick 59 - Jordan Cunico

Pick 59 - Ryan Gardner 

Pick 66 - Sam Menegola

Pick 26 - Brandon Parfitt

Pick 40 - Tom Stewart

Pick 60 - Quinton Narkle 

Pick 68 - Tim House

Pick 69 - Ryan Abbott

Pick 22 - Lachie Fogarty

Pick 24 - Tim Kelly

Pick 36 - Charlie Constable

Pick 57 - Grien Myers

Pick 18 - Jordan Clark

Pick 48 - Ben Jarvis 

Pick 65 - Darcy Fort

Pick 74 - Oscar Brownless F/S

Pick 16 - Cooper Stephens 

Pick 19 - Sam De Koning

Pick 41 - Francis Evans

Pick 50 - Cameron Taheny 

Thats a lot of years with not much return, and I think its going to bite them. I can count only handful from above that may be part of their next premiership team.

Maybe i misinterpret but er, what? Geelong basically haven't had a top 10 draft pick in 15 years (!) and yet smashed every other team in terms of success bar a few. Yes, of course their time will come to suck and pay it back. Sure they didnt win enough flags but um yeah, not alone. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

MFC might put a phone call to the Cats next week to ask what Nakia Cockatoo might be worth.  

We might be a chance for him to get a change of scenery. 

Of course his manager will need to be involved and Burgo and our MFC doctor will have to check him out.  

He's going to Brisbane. 

Geelong must be an outlier. They've basically scooped 3 x All Australian level players for zilch in Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly and Sam Menegola. That's actually amazing.

Tim Kelly wasn't there long, but he's netted them enough 1st rounders to keep replenishing their list going forward.

• Like 1

i'd be putting a big offer infront of Z.Merrett, i think it's unlikely he'll leave this year but lay the ground work for 2021. 

if the Bombers think he's definitely going to leave, they seem intent on cleaning out anyone who isn't 100% committed 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

i'd be putting a big offer infront of Z.Merrett, i think it's unlikely he'll leave this year but lay the ground work for 2021. 

if the Bombers think he's definitely going to leave, they seem intent on cleaning out anyone who isn't 100% committed 

Agree.

I hope we are chasing him.

I have no solid info but have heard Rutten is clearing the decks as well.

Interesting times ahead

On 10/7/2020 at 12:33 PM, Unleash Hell said:

Havent seen any talk on here about Atkins or Smith.

You'd think some crows talent would be available.

Think there was an article saying Atkins is going to GC.

• Like 1