Jump to content

Trade Targets


Flag Favourites 3019

Recommended Posts

On 9/26/2020 at 5:16 PM, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Brayshaw is on the table 

Firm mail

And I think we'll be chasing a draft place over a player... (my view not the mail)

I hope not, as mentioned re Lions last night one of their strengths is Plenty of players to Rotate through the midfield. 
If our coaching panel can get midfield rotations and combinations right, having Trac, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow and Harmes will be a big plus. 
Our playing talent has been used in the wrong positions way to often this year ! Causing imbalance And leading to a few losses!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, D4Life said:

I hope not, as mentioned re Lions last night one of their strengths is Plenty of players to Rotate through the midfield. 
If our coaching panel can get midfield rotations and combinations right, having Trac, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow and Harmes will be a big plus. 
Our playing talent has been used in the wrong positions way to often this year ! Causing imbalance And leading to a few losses!

This would be the last straw It tells me Goodwin has absolutely no idea

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kent said:

This would be the last straw It tells me Goodwin has absolutely no idea

The commentators said having multiple Fresh players run through the middle Enabled them to catch the opposition midfielders on the defensive side, as they couldn’t chase as well as fresh players. Happened to Demon mids in a number of games.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Considering everybody is putting their best 22 I'll put one in.

B: SALEM, MAY, LEVER

HB: RIVERS, TOMLINSON, HIBBERD

C : LANGDON, PETRACCA, POLEC

HF: MELKSHAM, JACKSON, FRITSCH

F: PICKETT, B.BROWN, WEIDEMAN

FOLL: GAWN, OLIVER, VINEY

IC: BRAYSHAW, I.SMITH, LOCKHART, HUNT

EMERG: HARMES, VANDENBERG, SPARROW, BAKER

Hunt in for Melksham (when he plays well he would be in the team, this year he should have been dropped from about round 4)

Harmes takes Hunt spot

I Smith not needed if we get Polec

Not sure what smaller good forwards are available but would like Higgins from Tigers!

But I like Polec as will hopefully have North paying $250-$350 of his salary

Brown also probably available at 4-500k

Leaves salary cap for Trac, Oliver getting an extra 200k each in salary.
Also hoping TMac dropping 5-10kg can find some speed and agility who might make it back!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kent said:

This would be the last straw It tells me Goodwin has absolutely no idea

 

33 minutes ago, D4Life said:

The commentators said having multiple Fresh players run through the middle Enabled them to catch the opposition midfielders on the defensive side, as they couldn’t chase as well as fresh players. Happened to Demon mids in a number of games.

This is why I can't understand people thinking we should trade any of established mids, especially if we think we're finals bound 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

I’d consider dealing Brayshaw or Oliver if it means we have the cap space and currency to bring someone  of high quality in the door..

You are kidding? Trade Oliver? Wow. I don't think you'll ever come back from that.

  • Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would add a couple of names from the list of guys without contracts who I think we should look at:

1. Brett Bewley - a cheaper, younger running wing option to Polec and Smith

2. Oscar Clavarino - key defender who trained at the club in the afl academy days, could swap one Oscar key defender out for another 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 hours ago, Rednblueriseing said:

 

This is why I can't understand people thinking we should trade any of established mids, especially if we think we're finals bound 

What if the team dynamics improve to such a degree that lesser players elevate themselves and become established... IE Bring in a KPF forward with a Brayshaw pick and suddenly small forwards and half forwards improve. Kick more goals from  lesser entries and your inside mids get more of a centre square look in with some momentum and less fatigue. Take into account the flow on effects of getting the right trade in.

Who knows, Someone like Sparrow, Harmes or someone else could instantly replace Brayshaw with a team playing well. Wouldn't we like to find more suprise packets from our list or draft recruits? It only comes about through opportunity. Plenty of late picks or rookies throughout the AFL have elevated and established themselves. 

How stale if we had the same midfield in 3 years time. Can guarantee we'll be in the same place on the ladder, age development or not. 

Maybe the club has its eye on a freo first round pick and knows with absolute certainty that the midfielder they have their eye on, will out perform Brayshaws '2019-20 output immediately, and have a higher ceiling than Brayshaws 2018 in 3 years time. Could be a bigger sunk cost fallacy risk to persist with Brayshaw.

Edited by John Demonic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jay Clark on triple M yesterday said that Melbourne will be active this trade period and we've got our eyes set on Jared Polec and Isaac Smith as our main targets.

Ben Brown was brought up as a discussion and both Nathan Brown and Joey Montanga both agreed that Brown should be our main priority. 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

What if the team dynamics improve to such a degree that lesser players elevate themselves and become established... IE Bring in a KPF forward with a Brayshaw pick and suddenly small forwards and half forwards improve. Kick more goals from  lesser entries and your inside mids get more of a centre square look in with some momentum and less fatigue. Take into account the flow on effects of getting the right trade in.

Who knows, Someone like Sparrow, Harmes or someone else could instantly replace Brayshaw with a team playing well. Wouldn't we like to find more suprise packets from our list or draft recruits? It only comes about through opportunity. Plenty of late picks or rookies throughout the AFL have elevated and established themselves. 

How stale if we had the same midfield in 3 years time. Can guarantee we'll be in the same place on the ladder, age development or not. 

Maybe the club has its eye on a freo first round pick and knows with absolute certainty that the midfielder they have their eye on, will out perform Brayshaws '2019-20 output immediately, and have a higher ceiling than Brayshaws 2018 in 3 years time. Could be a bigger sunk cost fallacy risk to persist with Brayshaw.

I like and understand alot of your comments but I also see alot of big IF's in there... don't forget we were the youngest side in the prelims and with proper development should have gotten better 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, A F said:

You are kidding? Trade Oliver? Wow. I don't think you'll ever come back from that.

Not saying I want this, but would you trade Clarry for GWS Kelly? I ask this because every player has a price, for the individual and the club 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Not saying I want this, but would you trade Clarry for GWS Kelly? I ask this because every player has a price, for the individual and the club 

Oliver's been better through his career, is less injury prone, and has a higher ceiling 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, adonski said:

Oliver's been better through his career, is less injury prone, and has a higher ceiling 

I disagree, but it would be fair to say that Kelly fits our needs for a highly skilled outside mid more than Clarry does atm

Besides, my point was that IMO Oliver is not untradable

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, John Demonic said:

How stale if we had the same midfield in 3 years time. Can guarantee we'll be in the same place on the ladder, age development or not. 

I wouldn't guarantee that outcome at all.  There's a lot of improvement in our relatively young midfield over the next few years.

I'm not against making incremental change. I can see some value in trading Harmes for a player that suits our needs. I would be fine with moving Viney or Brayshaw if we could net Merrett. But I wouldn't do both.

I think our current midfield has the potential to be flag quality.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Not saying I want this, but would you trade Clarry for GWS Kelly? I ask this because every player has a price, for the individual and the club 

No, no I wouldn't.

There wouldn't be a realistic price you could pay to trade Oliver. And it certainly wouldn't be Kelly, who IMV is no better than Salem on recent form.

Oliver is an incredibly durable player. Since his first season, he hasn't missed a game. You watch when we don't have him. Our midfield will be nowhere. Fast becoming the most underrated player in the competition.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I disagree, but it would be fair to say that Kelly fits our needs for a highly skilled outside mid more than Clarry does atm

Besides, my point was that IMO Oliver is not untradable

Completely disagree. Oliver's a far better player off his 4 seasons in the game than Kelly's 6 seasons. Oliver is our Sam Mitchell. Our gun extractor. You can say what you like about their disposal comparison, but Kelly struggles to win his own ball, particularly in recent times.

Oliver is untradeable.

Edited by A F
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


15 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Happy to disagree. Don't get me wrong, certainly don't want him traded, but I'd say Trac and May are our only untradable players at the mo

Occasionally I try to take these off

 

20201004_151030.jpg

Each to their own mate, except if we're talking about wearing red and blue coloured glasses, I think you can take out the red and blue lenses and put some prescription lenses in, because even contemplating trading Oliver is absurd.

Edited by A F
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, A F said:

Each to their own mate, except if we're talking about wearing red and blue coloured glasses, I think you can take out the red and blue lenses and put some prescription lenses in, because even contemplating trading Oliver is absurd.

Ha! Here I am:

20201004_152032.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

Not saying I want this, but would you trade Clarry for GWS Kelly? I ask this because every player has a price, for the individual and the club 

No.

Wouldn't even think twice about it.

Oliver is elite. Even if you think Kelly is elite (and IMO he has elite talent but doesn't consistently produce it), you don't just trade away your elite talent.

I disagree with the notion that every player has a price. The idea that clubs are so soulless that if some sort of ridiculous offer was proposed, a club would just [censored] off their elite talent in the supposedly never-ending quest to get more elite talent. IMO, it's silly, and not just a matter of me wearing red/blue coloured glasses either.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Moonshadow said:

Steven May

No, for the right offer i'd trade Steven May. would take a pretty incredible offer but i think we're being too lose on the term untradable. 

Clarry and Trac are going to be two of the dominant mids in the comp for the next decade and i can't see us trading our captain

But if a really good offer came for May i'd look at it. 

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Patches O’houlihan said:

No, for the right offer i'd trade Steven May. would take a pretty incredible offer but i think we're being too lose on the term untradable. 

Clarry and Trac are going to be two of the dominant mids in the comp for the next decade and i can't see us trading our captain

But if a really good offer came for May i'd look at it. 

I would not trade May. He cares about winning and losing.

I would not trade Langdon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 96

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 419

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 45

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...