Training Ground?

Romey

28 minutes ago, —coach— said:

How obscene (and utterly ugly) is this proposal. There is no respect for the urban design of the city nor the historic MCG precinct that it links to. Its a really big no from me. 

• Like 6

“This isn’t about putting a few apartment blocks up,” [McGuire] said.

Quite right. It's about putting a [censored]-ton of apartment blocks up.

“If you do this in a sensitive way, it turns it into the most unbelievable passive recreation and green lung for Melbourne.”

Correct. I don't believe it. The only green I'm seeing is the stuff that's already there. Is Mr Nowhere a consultant for this thing?

• Like 5

Yes coz we need these unsightly developments overshadowing our low rise parks and gardens, coz we have so little space anywhere else around Melbourne.

Please make sure there is low rise and open space around the Fishermans Bend sight. We could be part is such a project and create a total sports, entertainment facility there

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

57 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Notice the two big sun-shades that are proposed, so that we can train in the shadow at the height of summer!

The plans involve a string of apartment blocks above the rail lines between Flinders Street and South Yarra stations.

But with change in the path of the sun in Winter v Summer it actually means the towers will block the sun from our training ground in Winter but have minial impact for summer. 

All for building over the railway to connect Fed square to the MCG precinct but not if it involves these high rise buildings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil Crompton said:

How obscene (and utterly ugly) is this proposal. There is no respect for the urban design of the city nor the historic MCG precinct that it links to. Its a really big no from me. 

Worst idea......EVER!    Melbourne's answer to the Berlin Wall.

Mr McGuire, tear down this wall!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, —coach— said:

This would kill the whole area. No sunlight, cold wind tunnels, and it looks hideous. It effectively Blocks the MCG out of view. 
I certainly hope this gets thrown in the bin very Quickly 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Hhhmmm I wonder which of the companies backing it he has shares in..

Looks like an Evergrande site!  You know the ones in China that they have deliberately imploded and destroyed - never finished, never inhabited.

The first 30 secs of this tells the story. 

Like Evergrande sites the Eddie proposal doesn't deserve to go ahead for pure ugliness!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Looks like an Evergrande site!  You know the ones in China that they have deliberately imploded and destroyed - never finished, never inhabited.

The first 30 secs of this tells the story. 

Like Evergrande sites the Eddie proposal doesn't deserve to go ahead for pure ugliness!

god that is brutal, I feel for those people.

• Like 2

Well we just won a flag in comprohensive fashion as nomads ... even when we were in Melbourne we swapped between Casey & Gosch's

So a Casey facility which had a $5Million upgrade along with gym facilities and Gosch's with a makeover ($2Million?) might just have to do for now

The admin building? It's not the end of the world if that takes a bit more time than is preferred

Besides which, I'm backing Kate Roffey to get what we need rather than what we necessarily want (there's a song in there somewhere)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

I'm high on the hill
Looking over the bridge
To the once-in-a-generation opportunity to deliver a significant economic and social benefit, affordable housing and connectivity between Federation Square and Richmond and cultural and sporting hubs
And way up on high
The clock on the silo
Says ... wait a minute .. I can't see the [censored] thing for all the shadows

I remember
I remember
Before this [censored] was built
Before this [censored] was built

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

This would kill the whole area. No sunlight, cold wind tunnels, and it looks hideous. It effectively Blocks the MCG out of view. 
I certainly hope this gets thrown in the bin very Quickly 

That's in the same area that the first proposal came from regarding our training and admin area yeah?

It was said that the Greenies would have a fit if that went ahead and I'm sure they would feel the same about this monstrosity.

Being a closet greenie (that may surprise some), I would hope this project would be rejected also.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That looks horrible - the Docklands is already a white elephant of empty apartments/buildings and they want to extend that across the city from Flinders to South Yarra? Yuck

It's a tough competition but I reckon Docklands probably is the better of two evils with Southbank these days. Some absolutely horrific towers there. And don't get me started on what's happened in Box Hill. Or the size of some of the towers in Footscray. Caulfield and Camberwell have pushed the envelope too.

There really should be something like a hard and fast 8 story rule for anywhere but the Hoddle Grid. 

Any development along the rail lines should really be for public use. Technology will make it increasingly likely to be built on at some stage but it should all be things with public benefits. 

A vertical school, a tafe that probably never gets funded and covering the buildings in weeds to carbon offset. No thanks Eddie.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BDA said:

They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum

I bet they end up charging a buck-fifty just to see em.....

• Haha 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/10/2021 at 3:19 PM, faultydet said:

That's in the same area that the first proposal came from regarding our training and admin area yeah?

It was said that the Greenies would have a fit if that went ahead and I'm sure they would feel the same about this monstrosity.

Being a closet greenie (that may surprise some), I would hope this project would be rejected also.

No it's on the other side of the MCG. Our proposal was near Jolimont station this one runs along the train track from Flinders St to Richmond station on the southern stand side of the ground

• Thanks 1

I understand and I am overjoyed that the Melbourne Demons are 2021 AFL Premiers.

However, this matter of a home base for our administration and training is still lingering.

Hopefully, we can have some more news at the upcoming Annual General Meeting in regards to the progress of our home base?

We cannot rest until this matter is finally rectified.

• Like 3