Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Lord Nev

Jackson Ready to Embrace the Challenge

Recommended Posts

Great insight into the whirlwind that these young blokes go through, as well the maturity and professionalism of Luke himself.

"We were also fortunate enough to hear from (former Port Adelaide and Carlton ruckman) Matthew Lobbe, (former Fremantle and Gold Coast midfielder) Michael Barlow and (former Victorian and Australian cricketer) Bobby Quiney on their different pathways and athlete journeys.

The stories and insights they shared with us put into perspective the journey we’re about to embark on.

Our careers won’t always go according to plan and, for some others, their first year might not be as successful as they had hoped, but I think it’s about making sure that you’re working hard, embracing the challenge and utilising the resources around you.

Hopefully I’ll be able to apply the lessons they spoke about to my own life and career."

Jackson ready to embrace the challenge

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's going to revolutionise the way the game is played.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to hear Grundy just signed a 7 year/$7mill deal with Pies. 

I can see Jacko having many duels with him on the years to come

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Stigga said:

He's going to revolutionise the way the game is played.

Good to see we're all keeping our expectations in check ;) 

In the build up to the draft, I struggled to see the value in picking him at 3. On the basis of some youtube highlights and fluff pieces in the media, I'm now convinced he'll be a star. Being a footy fan does questionable things to one's psyche (especially in the off season). 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Interesting to hear Grundy just signed a 7 year/$7mill deal with Pies. 

I can see Jacko having many duels with him on the years to come

That is a big chunk of their salary cap for the next 7 years he had better stay healthy.

This reminds me of the Buddy deal, the only way it is justifiable is if the Swans win a flag or more. So far no flags and they slipping down the ladder. 

  • Like 5
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, old dee said:

That is a big chunk of their salary cap for the next 7 years he had better stay healthy.

This reminds me of the Buddy deal, the only way it is justifiable is if the Swans win a flag or more. So far no flags and they slipping down the ladder. 

Suspect by back end of deal it''ll be a declining chunk of cap.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Accepting Mediocrity said:

Good to see we're all keeping our expectations in check ;) 

Yes indeed, the kid hasn't even kicked a ball in anger in the VFL,  as yet.

 

Let him NOT be the next Watts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Biffen said:

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

Good to see someone working on their MFCSS in the off-season. Important to keep fit.😀

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GET AROUND HIM !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Biffen said:

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

You are a sad, sad Demon, are you by any chance OD's love child?          

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 5:24 PM, Biffen said:

I'm  expecting him to be an absolute dud who can barely scrape a game in the twos for the first three years.

Once we've traded him to the Blues , along with a first round pick who goes on to be the next Dustin Martin ,we will watch him dominate the competition and applaud ourselves for our ability to develop raw talent.

In return we'll get a brat with two [censored] knees and a drug problem, a chronic drunk and some geriatric has been.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look, Biffen - I don't want to be rude but you are a negative, negative slag of a poster and maybe should be on the Blues site.

Because really, you're certainly not on our side and needn't be on our site. Have another malt or go to another site; you are a drag.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Every Game in '64 said:

Look, Biffen - I don't want to be rude but you are a negative, negative slag of a poster and maybe should be on the Blues site.

Because really, you're certainly not on our side and needn't be on our site. Have another malt or go to another site; you are a drag.

Thanks for the feedback.

Biffen Industries values your opinion greatly and wishes to direct any unwanted suggestions to our Complaints officer Helen Waite.

Please go to Helen Waite.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put a value on everyone's opinion.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a question I want to ask about Jackson and hunted out this thread and had a first look. What a cracker.  

Question for track watchers particularly those like Saty and BB who have watched a lot of the sessions.  

A lot of the talk is that when Jackson starts playing it will most likely be in the forward line. Most of the training I saw him doing for the one session I saw was with the rucks so it looked like that's mainly where he's being taught to play. Have you seen him doing much training with the forwards if that's where people think he's going to start playing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, It's Time said:

Have a question I want to ask about Jackson and hunted out this thread and had a first look. What a cracker.  

Question for track watchers particularly those like Saty and BB who have watched a lot of the sessions.  

A lot of the talk is that when Jackson starts playing it will most likely be in the forward line. Most of the training I saw him doing for the one session I saw was with the rucks so it looked like that's mainly where he's being taught to play. Have you seen him doing much training with the forwards if that's where people think he's going to start playing?

Every time I’ve seen Stafford doing ruck specific training Jackson has been with the rucks.

But otherwise I’ve seen him with the forward group and with the mids (including rucks) about 50/50. And I’ve only seen him do match sim a couple of times, both times with the forwards. Gawn has gone head to head with Preuss as the rucks.

If he gets a game early in the year I expect he’ll be the back up ruck for the 5 minutes a quarter that Gawn rests, and then will play forward for the rest of his allocated game time. If he’s good enough and physically up to playing then won’t he be our best relief ruckman option? 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Every time I’ve seen Stafford doing ruck specific training Jackson has been with the rucks.

But otherwise I’ve seen him with the forward group and with the mids (including rucks) about 50/50. And I’ve only seen him do match sim a couple of times, both times with the forwards. Gawn has gone head to head with Preuss as the rucks.

If he gets a game early in the year I expect he’ll be the back up ruck for the 5 minutes a quarter that Gawn rests, and then will play forward for the rest of his allocated game time. If he’s good enough and physically up to playing then won’t he be our best relief ruckman option? 

Thanks DeeSpencer, I meant to include you in that list of training watches. Great informed reply. Much appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, old dee said:

This reminds me of the Buddy deal, the only way it is justifiable is if the Swans win a flag or more. So far no flags and they slipping down the ladder. 

OD beg to differ on Buddy's value to Swans. Membership after the 2012 flag was 35,000. Membership two years after he came to Swans was 56,000. They had to get a marquee player to protect their position for sponsorships and memberships in the Sydney market against GWS. The Swans stated a year in that he paid his entire 9 year salary within a year of going there with increased memberships and merchandise, not to mention being given much greater TV and media coverage. I used to go to the pre season intra club games to study them close up to pick up any tips for junior coaching. They used to get about 200 of us and virtually no media. The first year Buddy came there were over 2000 people, every TV channel had crews there and there were even helicopters overhead. 

They don't need to win a Premiership to justify that deal. They loaded his contract in the middle years so he's on $750k for the last 3 years. A lot less than a lot of other marquee players. He will continue to pull crowds till the end. As long as he gets on the park of course. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, It's Time said:

OD beg to differ on Buddy's value to Swans. Membership after the 2012 flag was 35,000. Membership two years after he came to Swans was 56,000. They had to get a marquee player to protect their position for sponsorships and memberships in the Sydney market against GWS. The Swans stated a year in that he paid his entire 9 year salary within a year of going there with increased memberships and merchandise, not to mention being given much greater TV and media coverage. I used to go to the pre season intra club games to study them close up to pick up any tips for junior coaching. They used to get about 200 of us and virtually no media. The first year Buddy came there were over 2000 people, every TV channel had crews there and there were even helicopters overhead. 

They don't need to win a Premiership to justify that deal. They loaded his contract in the middle years so he's on $750k for the last 3 years. A lot less than a lot of other marquee players. He will continue to pull crowds till the end. As long as he gets on the park of course. 

Kind of the opposite of Boyd who gave the Bulldogs nothing except an elusive premiership.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wrecker45 said:

Kind of the opposite of Boyd who gave the Bulldogs nothing except an elusive premiership.

Yeh. So true. Of course we'd take the Boyd outcome. But Swans had already snared a couple and were very concerned about GWS impact in Sydney. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

beg to differ on Buddy's value to Swans. Membership after the 2012 flag was 35,000. Membership two years after he came to Swans was 56,000. They had to get a marquee player to protect their position for sponsorships and memberships in the Sydney market against GWS.

 

2 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

They don't need to win a Premiership to justify that deal. They loaded his contract in the middle years so he's on $750k for the last 3 years. A lot less than a lot of other marquee players.

 

1 hour ago, It's Time said:

So true. Of course we'd take the Boyd outcome. But Swans had already snared a couple and were very concerned about GWS impact in Sydney.

That Buddy deal, ( although at the time, I was outraged that the Swans stole him from under GWS's noses ),  has probably worked out to be a win/win for both sides. 

Marketing wise, for the Swans, as they maintained publicity, during rebuilding.

And for GWS,  who I believe Budd would have been the wrong choice of personality,  for a young fledgling side, and club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LESSONS IN LOSING by George on the Outer

    Turn up for the game and look like you want to win it.  Melbourne lost this game to Geelong, a game after a couple of extended breaks, looking like they were at the end of a 22 game season. Right from the start there was a lack of intensity across the board, as the Demons played exactly the type of game that the ageing Geelong list wanted. Geelong repeatedly played possession footy, to avoid having to run those ageing legs, something that Melbourne failed to exploit.  To use the oft quot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    QUARRANTINO by Whispering Jack

    At a little after 4.00pm last Saturday, the MCG ceased to be the centre of the AFL universe. That was when the AFL’s el supremo Gil McLaughlin announced that the Bombers’ Conor McKenna had returned a COVID-19 positive result and declared that the game set for the following day between Essendon and Melbourne was postponed.  What followed was truly the stuff of a pulp fiction novel. We witnessed a suitcase load of mental gymnastics and spin calculated to let McKenna (and the Essendon Football

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHADDA WE SING? by Whispering Jack

    When the Melbourne team sang “The Grand Old Flag” last Saturday at Marvel Stadium in the absence of skipper Max Gawn, Ed Langford and Adam Tomlinson who were first time winners at their new club and Jayden Hunt, the leading goal kicker of the day it was passed off as an honest mistake. Taken in isolation, it most probably was accidental but the problem is that little accidents have been happening far too often in the club’s recent history and, in this case, it was symptomatic not only of a day t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A POINT OF DIFFERENCE by George on the Outer

    It was Melbourne v Carlton at the comics stadium; a game between 16 and 17 in 2019. How could anyone pick a winner?  There had to be a point of difference, and so it would prove to be as the Demons literally fell over the line at the end, by a solitary point. In an almost complete replica of the Richmond v Collingwood game two nights previously, one of the sides (Melbourne in this case) rushed out to a five goal lead in the first quarter, while the Blues failed to bother the goal umpir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EXPOSED FORM by The Oracle

    Carlton fancies itself to beat Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Saturday and, based on exposed form, why not? The Blues took it right up to the reigning premiers in their last up start and the Demons were simply horrible against the Eagles at Optus Stadium. That opening game of the season revived all of the nightmares of 2019 for a team that went inside the 50 metre arc 45 times, an advantage of 10 times over the home side and yet lost by almost five goals. Such statistics sum it up for a gam

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...