Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs Adelaide

Demonland

Things I liked:

• We lowered our eyes and had some ripper 'bullet-like' kicks i50 from Hibberd, Fritsch, Viney, Jones.
  • A proportionately higher no of shots for goal were take from the centre i50 whereas in the past they have been taken out wide.  Helped our early accuracy.
  • Some delightful goals were kicked:  Petracca from 50m, Oliver from near 50m, Weideman from near the boundary.
  • We didn't let up.
  • Weideman took really good contested marks.
  • Most of all, we got our ferocity back!  Especially in the first half.
  • That Tex had another bad game.

We lost but those improvements will help win quite a few more games this year.  A bit late for finals but am happy the season will end on a high.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 13
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Things I liked:

• We lowered our eyes and had some ripper 'bullet-like' kicks i50 from Hibberd, Fritsch, Viney, Jones.
  • A proportionately higher no of shots for goal were take from the centre i50 whereas in the past they have been taken out wide.  Helped our early accuracy.
  • Some delightful goals were kicked:  Petracca from 50m, Oliver from near 50m, Weideman from near the boundary.
  • We didn't let up.

We lost but those improvements will help win quite a few more games this year.  A bit late for finals but am happy the season will end on a high.

Weid was pretty good as well. 

If you ignore his final kick i'd say it was a very good game.

• Like 3

I have read all the comments and agree with 99%. Aside from the bleeding obvious,  one poster hit the nail on the head - lack of on field leadership in that last quarter. Jordan Lewis’ generalship in the last would have been very useful. There was eff all leadership coming from the co-captains.

BTW, I’ve resigned from the Simon Goodwin fan club. The man is not a coaches bootlace. TMac to CHB in the last quarter was a gimme.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Good Lord George said:

3.12 to 9.3 in the second half.

Get [censored] Melbourne

6.13 to 10.6 since quarter time.

I disagree with the premise that we kicked 3.12 in the 2nd half and it's the coach who cant coach.

The game had to be won, we had multiple opportunities to win the game. Just because people don't agree with the decisions doesn't mean the coach is terrible

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Things I liked:

• We didn't let up.

Wow we will win a few more games and end on a high. That the problem we start to play lower teams and it has the potential to paper over the disaster that is this season. What we should be asking is why are we light years behind team like West Coast, GWS etc. this season could be like 1976 where finished like a train only to years of ineptitude to follow. Actually winning soft games could represent the absolute worse long term result ensuring accountability for this waste of a year is ignored

41 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

Yeap agree but who of those I listed would change that? May and Lever are coming, that’s what we have but it’s too late.

Were you replying to other people suggesting Petty or Keilty should've played down back? I don't think they'd make any difference. But in hindsight, it looks as though we're no longer robbing peter to pay paul by putting Tmac down back as he has no forward influence, so i think he is the only player that changes the result by locking down Jenkins or Walkers influence.

If May or Lever don't come back, then Tmac should be down back and we drop Omac because once again we're on the national stage and need to not look like fools. I think a combination of Smith, Weid & Preuss/Keilty should be tried. Experiment.

Excuses, excuses, players on the ground were in the position to win, not the injured ones! Culture needs to change to take your chances!  Only the mfc can manufacture a loss from a winning position! Actually hate the club as it inflicts such negativity for its supporters, you would think after 50 years of supporting them I would be immune to these types of loses!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

1.8 in the last quarter (of which we kicked 5 behinds).

Well at least the blowtorch should be on Goodwin and his pathetic game plan this week.

8 goals to 1 after we were up by 31 points. So Melbourne.

Im no footy strategist.  Not sure Goodwin is either.  So many times our defensive structure requires to chase and catch up to uncontested marks, we lock it in for moments, exhaust our energy levels, one breakdown, avenue to goal, lead up forward fifty mark, or out over the back, goal. All year long.  Week after week. Our defensive structure seems to actually hurt us and not help us.

Bloody disappointed though.  I feel for Weidamann, but f me.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Things I liked:

• We didn't let up.

Oh my buddha!!  “End on a high”.  You made some good points, however this clubs reputation is still rubbish!  All other teams in the AFL know that when they play Melbourne, it is a gettable game.  The MFC is not respected in the competition and as such Adelaide knew they could get us with pressure.  It is the life story of this club.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Deesprate said:

Wow we will win a few more games and end on a high. That the problem we start to play lower teams and it has the potential to paper over the disaster that is this season. What we should be asking is why are we light years behind team like West Coast, GWS etc. this season could be like 1976 where finished like a train only to years of ineptitude to follow. Actually winning soft games could represent the absolute worse long term result ensuring accountability for this waste of a year is ignored

With all due respect my friend, i think you're stuck in 2018. There are no lower teams or soft games plural left to play. There is only Carlton.

11 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

You beat me to the punch. That was a truly pathetic performance from Oscar McDonald tonight. I can understand lack of talent but that was as soft as butter throughout.

Looks to me like he is carrying a few serious injuries.  I noticed bth his legs and head have been amputated at some point, his right and left shoulders look sore, his fingers are all dislocated, his glutes are strained, he probably has an abdominal strain...heaps wrong with him actually

4 minutes ago, Soidee said:

Oh my buddha!!  “End on a high”.  You made some good points, however this clubs reputation is still rubbish!  All other teams in the AFL know that when they play Melbourne, it is a gettable game.  The MFC is not respected in the competition and as such Adelaide knew they could get us with pressure.  It is the life story of this club.

While I agree with you, you need to look at the game in isolation, not 40 years of pain.

The truth is we aren't going to get better unless we can build and keep a list together. I know it's painful but we are not Geelong or Hawthorn, we don't have years of development under our belt.

While I am very annoyed like the majority on this thread, sometimes you need to step back take a breath and look at the whole picture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redleg said:

He was pushed directly in the back and it was a basic free kick since 1896 when the game started. Same as Weideman 10 metres out,  but we don’t get basic frees,  while opposition get slight touches. 

Did not receive a free kick inside the forward fifty last night and cannot recall any in recent matches if not the season in totality.  This season's 'interpretation' there is virtually no in the back rule a blight on the game. What passes for a Rules committee should shove it where fits and cease it's malign revisionist interventions which devalue the uniqueness of Australian Rules Football. Got that of my chest feeling marginally but not three behinds better already.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

I have read all the comments and agree with 99%. Aside from the bleeding obvious,  one poster hit the nail on the head - lack of on field leadership in that last quarter. Jordan Lewis’ generalship in the last would have been very useful. There was eff all leadership coming from the co-captains.

BTW, I’ve resigned from the Simon Goodwin fan club. The man is not a coaches bootlace. TMac to CHB in the last quarter was a gimme.

Goodwin is in his 5th year at MFC.

We are way past the “jury being out” on his coaching ability. Time for a total review of ALL coaches for 2020. The skills and forward coaches need to be shown the door for a start.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spud said:

That's the problem though. They did on the most part play well. They should have won. But it's just so often. Even last year, Geelong by 2, port Adelaide, Sydney,  we were the better side in all games and lost and it cost us a top 4 spot and possibly a flag? Not once did we really steal a game where we just hung around and got over the top late.

Tonight just continues the theme, we may dominate, but it doesn't mean we'll get the chocolates!

the W.C effort & tonight are better efforts, but if you lose when you shouldn't, there is still something NQR!

Yep and you know what it is?

NQR Coaching ( Game plans and backup B, C, D)

NQR Recruiting

NQR Skill and 

Quite a FEW NQR PLAYERS 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

let's be positive... we may have thrown it away but I think it's our smallest loss for this irrelevant season.. perhaps we are improving

I think we did DJ and with a couple more AFL talents returning next week I think we will be better again. We won't beat the Pies but I have faith that we will have a winning second half of the year injuries providing of course. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Things I liked:

• We didn't let up.

Agree LH we just need a little better luck with injuries. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Big Carl said:

Goodwin is in his 5th year at MFC.

We are way past the “jury being out” on his coaching ability. Time for a total review of ALL coaches for 2020. The skills and forward coaches need to be shown the door for a start.

Actually it’s 3rd officially as head coach... 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Things I liked:

• We didn't let up.

The season was already gone before last night. A disappointing loss but with more reinforcements back next week we will have a much better second half of the year.

agree with all your points above

• Like 2

I have only read through bits & pieces of the topic but as usual there is massive overreactions. People calling for Goodwins head, was it Goodwin's fault our players missed simple set shots or his fault we kicked inaccurate all night ?

I stopped emotionally investing in games after the saints loss which is extremely hard for me to do, the season was well & truly over then. The fact we played some really good footy for large parts of the game with still so much personnel out should be encouraging.

We aren't playing finals this year so all we can do is hopefully get something of our best 22 back after the bye & play some footy together & take some momentum into the pre season. The overreacting in here is over the top the season has been gone for a long time

• Like 5

How many sides lose a game where they have a 31 point lead and from then on have more scoring shots than their opponent?

How many sides lose a game where they lead at all three changes, twice in one season?

The frustration is somehow getting more severe. Luckily I haven't seen the second half.

To be fair, we were missing five first-choice defenders (Lever, May, Salem, Jetta, Hore), which doesn't help. The stats and commentary suggest they started scoring too easily in the second half (in the first half they were struggling to convert their inside 50s).

But we still generated enough shots on goal to win the match and should have even with their scoring. The story of MFC 2019 (and indeed MFC 2017 and 2018 too).

The players need to be better but we can't keep playing football like this and that's on the coaches.

• Like 1