Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 12

Demonland

14 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I knew it was a bad idea posting that. It was a joke. 

When Spargo gets 35 touches and kicks 4 goals I hope the match committee agree that his little body needs a rest.

1 hour ago, Petraccattack said:

Huge chance for Pedders to come in and cement his spot as that 3rd tall forward/relief ruck.

Hes been in red hot form in the VFL.  Hope he plays out of his skin the rest of the season and is part of our finals campaign.

With teams having to put so much time and resources into stopping Hogan and T Mac, the Peddertron may get off the chain.

Having watched Pedersen about five times for Casey this year T Smith four times (twice live) at AFL level they are distinctly different types of players. Smith is one who can really bullock and get out the quick handpass from a scrambled pack. He can crash a marking comp and of course take the occasional mark.

Pedersen is more your traditional marking player... think Tom McDonald. At VFL level he uses his strength to impose himself on the competition. His ground play is probably not as strong as Smith's. He's also not to my knowledge super quick at decision making in the sense that if he takes a mark 60 metres out it is not often you see him slamming it onto the boot Melksham style to a player 30 metres from goal.

Will be fascinating to watch how the forward line works with these three talls.

I like many others am a great fan of Pedersen and think at present he delivers more than Weideman. However Smith's performance at AFL level has really sold me that for the sake of team balance he's the man ! Hope Pedersen plays a blinder and we see Smith back soon.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Can’t seem them resting Spargo after a 9 day break 

This post is either very well played or....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interchange selection will be interesting. with the Casey game on tomorrow we should get a clear idea of the bench. 

I would go with ANB, Pedo, J. Smith, Hannan/Garlett depending on Hannan's fitness. Stretch as emergency.

I think that the inclusion of Harrison, Petty and Hunt on the extended bench means that the selection committee has left the decision until after Friday training and of course an up to date weather forecast.

Sensible decision...will make for an interesting open training session.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Having watched Pedersen about five times for Casey this year T Smith four times (twice live) at AFL level they are distinctly different types of players. Smith is one who can really bullock and get out the quick handpass from a scrambled pack. He can crash a marking comp and of course take the occasional mark.

Pedersen is more your traditional marking player... think Tom McDonald. At VFL level he uses his strength to impose himself on the competition. His ground play is probably not as strong as Smith's. He's also not to my knowledge super quick at decision making in the sense that if he takes a mark 60 metres out it is not often you see him slamming it onto the boot Melksham style to a player 30 metres from goal.

Will be fascinating to watch how the forward line works with these three talls.

I like many others am a great fan of Pedersen and think at present he delivers more than Weideman. However Smith's performance at AFL level has really sold me that for the sake of team balance he's the man ! Hope Pedersen plays a blinder and we see Smith back soon.

I don't think Pedders is a walk up start for this game.

He could disrupt the forward balance with Tommy Mac already in there.

It's going to be interesting to see what the FD do.

4 minutes ago, rjay said:

you could be right but that would mean that Tom Mac would need to play relief ruck which would weaken the structure

TMac’s foot ok? Hmmmmmmm......

I certainly hope so. 

12 minutes ago, rjay said:

If Pedersen plays the same role that Smith and Weid have been playing, how do you see him disrupting the forward balance?  Smith and Pedersen, even though they play a little differently, essentially play the same role for the side.

Pedersen, Hunt, Garlett, JSmith - How good is it to finally have such talent as our potential in's!

Its been a while...... Go Dee's!

Pedersen for T Smith seems a given.

I'd expect J Smith for Lever - the closest replacement and keeps everyone else playing their same roles. If Lever wasn't injured, we wouldn't be discussing bringing Hunt in for one of the defenders so I don't see why that becomes an option now.

58 minutes ago, ProperDee said:

TMac’s foot ok? Hmmmmmmm......

I certainly hope so. 

Second time in a week you've posted like you know something from the inside that others don't.

Care to elaborate?

2 hours ago, chook fowler said:

Well, that’s put roundup on the Weed theory.

Glad to see you're still here.  I didn't take your resignation from the site seriously due to a one point misdemeanor from moderators, but you never know. :)

Be in no doubt that Weideman is highly rated internally and will the future.

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

If Pedersen plays the same role that Smith and Weid have been playing, how do you see him disrupting the forward balance?  Smith and Pedersen, even though they play a little differently, essentially play the same role for the side.

Very different players 'Wise'...it's not like for like.

Smith had also been playing midfield time before he came in, he has more flexibility.

Plus I don't think Pedders plays the structure (role) well. Weid by the way does...

Anyway, we will see.

His form has been good at Casey but I'm just saying don't be surprised if he's not in the final lineup.

If it was Tommy Mac out then I would see the case for him being more clear cut.

• Like 2

I think Hunt is more likely to come in than Jeffy for Hannan. Jayden offers more flexibility, can play at both ends of the ground if required and may well be needed to match up on a Collingwood small forward. We'll see.

That said, I think the most likely outcome is what many are saying and that's Pedersen for Smith and Smith for Lever. I think they'll start Smith as the interceptor, but will rotate between he and Hibberd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A F said:

I think Hunt is more likely to come in than Jeffy for Hannan. Jayden offers more flexibility, can play at both ends of the ground if required and may well be needed to match up on a Collingwood small forward. We'll see.

That said, I think the most likely outcome is what many are saying and that's Pedersen for Smith and Smith for Lever. I think they'll start Smith as the interceptor, but will rotate between he and Hibberd.

I'd prefer like for like. Hunt hasn't played up forward all season.