Post Match Discussion - Round 9

Demonland

A true 4 quarter performance with no passengers. Thought they got a little bit handball happy in the last quarter trying to share it around but only a very minor criticism.

Having bounced back over the last month and beaten 4 objectively inferior teams comprehensively, the challenge now is to bring that standard against a team who played in last year's grand final and whom the football world would consider our equals.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Nasher said:

2-3, 89% and a Sack Goodwin thread. Edit: sorry, an “is Goodwin the man for the job” thread. Same thing.

Yeah but look at the calibre we have beaten...:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Because I enjoy the suffering of others so much, having a browse of the Carlton BF board.

Came across a “we don’t deserve a priority pick because we got ourselves here”. I had painful flashbacks. Yes bloke, all teams who end up really crappy do so because they made some bad choices along the way. I’m yet to see a club go “we did everything right, but we’re still last on the ladder. We thoroughly deserve this priority pick!”

I’m *so* glad I no longer have to engage in that absurd level of conversation. Being on the winning side of a hiding is every bit as enjoyable as I thought it would be.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I hope every single Melbourne supporter enjoyed every minute of that today.  

That performance could not have gotten any better, and after the last decade and with what we've put up with it's so satisfying to put Carlscum to the sword.

And think about this... Hogan had just one goal.  Oliver and Viney were relatively quiet.  Hibberd was tagged out of the game.  Yet we still kicked 25 goals and made the Blues look like an Under 11 side.

Melksham was BOG for me and what a recruit he has been.  Not only did he kick 5 but he set up heaps with his sublime skills.  McDonald kicked a bag, ANB got in on the act, Brayshaw continues to get better and better while the kids like Fritsch and Spargo are doing the same.  Just a total team performance.

Special mention to Bull Smith as well - he battled manfully in the ruck and did some excellent work around the ground.

I love this bloody club and I hope you all do, too!  DEMONS!!!!

Agree with all of that. Outstanding 4 quarter performance.

47 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I hope every single Melbourne supporter enjoyed every minute of that today.  

That performance could not have gotten any better, and after the last decade and with what we've put up with it's so satisfying to put Carlscum to the sword.

And think about this... Hogan had just one goal.  Oliver and Viney were relatively quiet.  Hibberd was tagged out of the game.  Yet we still kicked 25 goals and made the Blues look like an Under 11 side.

Melksham was BOG for me and what a recruit he has been.  Not only did he kick 5 but he set up heaps with his sublime skills.  McDonald kicked a bag, ANB got in on the act, Brayshaw continues to get better and better while the kids like Fritsch and Spargo are doing the same.  Just a total team performance.

Special mention to Bull Smith as well - he battled manfully in the ruck and did some excellent work around the ground.

I love this bloody club and I hope you all do, too!  DEMONS!!!!

Well played! You generally reflect what I’m thinking.

• Like 2

Carlton might be the unlucky side that face us when things clicked. We’ve had the ingredients for a massive win for weeks but have lacked the polish and ability to make the opposition pay. Today we well and truly did that. 

We became a team that every time the ball went forward you thought “here’s a goal”. The most pleasing thing for me was the even spread across the park, and the varying avenues of goal kickers. 

A few weeks ago I said one of my concerns for the team was that we weren’t putting teams to the sword and belting them when we had the chance. Two weeks in a row we’ve done that. 

Now the next test, bring on the Crows!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, No Plan B said:

I can't believe Max Gawn ran over the mark at the quarter time siren. Max, you are paid a lot of money to do the basics right. You killed any momentum we had going into the huddle.

Am I doing it right, @poita?

must be the jumper. retire it.

• Haha 1

My prediction was way off ...oh well ?

4 minutes ago, Danelska said:

I didnt have volume - for whom was the black armband honouring?

I was wondering that myself, it was only Nibbler wearing it am I right?

When was the last time the seniors and reserves sides both recorded 100 point plus wins in the same round of footy?

That was an impressive total team performance that had been brewing for a few weeks. Today they hit the scoreboard and were rewarded for all their effort. Bring on the Cows next week, hopefully we can keep bringing the intensity and defensive pressure that's made us hard to play against. I don't think this team should fear any side with TMac and Viney back in the side.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's been a long time since Melbourne has methodically and intently destroyed the spirit of another side. Being the hunter instead of the hunted. 

And what a sweet feeling it is. 

Everyone in the field today did what they needed to do all the way until the final bell. 

This win will let every player know they are part of a group capable of writing their own history. 

The Demons of the recent past have been laid to rest. This is a strong collective of talent that in a few short years can achieve what has not been achieved for over 50 years as long as they remain committed to each other. 

We'll done Dees this one goes in the record books. 

To all long suffering fans, you have waited long enough. Enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Goddard said on ABC radio that when Milkshake and McCartney were both at the Dons that Macca said to Milkshake that if he continued to use his left foot so much he'd cut it off. 

I'm glad he didn't. Both Milky and Gus have shown what a weapon it is to be 'double sided'.

I'd give me right arm to be ambidextrous. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bonkers said:

When was the last time the seniors and reserves sides both recorded 100 point plus wins in the same round of footy?

That was an impressive total team performance that had been brewing for a few weeks. Today they hit the scoreboard and were rewarded for all their effort. Bring on the Cows next week, hopefully we can keep bringing the intensity and defensive pressure that's made us hard to play against. I don't think this team should fear any side with TMac and Viney back in the side.

Ooh id like to know the answer to this

How about a gloat-free moment. 

Re Max going over the mark, I didn't quite catch it, but I thought he just jumped leaning forward and his feet did not go over the mark even when he landed.   If that is right I'm surprised that the rule prohibits that. It must happen all the time when a player just waves his arms about.

Nah, return to gloating.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1