Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Farewell Jack Watts


PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.


Recommended Posts


6 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

under bailey - dropped to the vfl
under neeld - dropped to the vfl
under roos - dropped to the vfl
under goodwin - dropped to the vfl

you watch - if he goes to port there'll be a puff piece by capel or rucci in december / january in the advertiser about how it's the hardest preseason he's ever had, blah blah blah, and by round 7 he'll be dropped to the sanfl

But he's the best kick on our list.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Unleash Hell said:

Haha cmon mate. You're the one who brought up the.comparison 

Id take Jones over Watts evey day of the week, if that's your next comparison 

Haha yeah true. Was just pointing out that he's not the only one without a perfect tenure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, clark's kick said:

If trading a player like watts damages the heart and soul of our club or erodes our culture, then we are already done.

Worried about 'brand damage'? What about missing out on finals after a decade in the wilderness because of 5 shocking losses when we were red hot favourites?

How could trading a player who has delivered little in 9 years damage the heart and soul of a club or erode it's culture? That would be an indictment on the club if true. Watts is no James McDonald

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, the fork said:

Oh. My. God.

So much hysteria over one of the most inconsistent, frustrating bruise free players on our list.

Way too much emotion, not enough clear headed, long term, big picture thinking. It's a cliche but I honestly think this trade, should it eventuate, will benefit both player and club. Jack will be a better player at another club, free from the cloud that has hung over him since day one. Go forth my boy and be a free man.

For the club, this will be a statement of intent and help shape a new dynamic amongst the players we want to give it their all.

For me Watts often sets the tone of the group. He swans into preseason out of shape, he steps onto the ground half cocked and will consciously choose not to put his head over the ball. This attitude, and we've all seen it affects the group. If our co-captain ain't happy then neither am I. Those who want to clasp to the same hope that we've had for this bloke to finally show us some ticker for another year beyond the nine his already had, good luck to you. But for me it's time to show some mongrel.

Nield made several statements of intent too.

Simiarly, he only wanted blokes who'd willingly eat road kill and run head first through brick walls (Brent Moloney aside).

Whilst this had immediate and superficial appeal to success-starved fans, history shows that it was absolutely the wrong approach. Fortunately Paul Roos took the conch and fixed most of these mistakes. Relevantly, he created a decent club culture.

Right now, I don't expect Roos would be seeking to trade Watts, and that concerns me. Not in an emotional sense, but in a clinically rational sense. It could do a lot of damage to the culture of the club and create negativity within the player group.

Many Richmond supporters who now think of Dustin Martin as a favourite son wanted him out the door for a first rounder a few years ago. But it's hard to replace talent like that. In this regard, I expect there are far fewer talented players like Jack Watts out there than there are James Magner's and Tom Couch's.

And this is why some people here are emotional about this. Watts is our Tom Lynch - he's a gun deliverer of the football, he has great vision and skills, and the club is potentially about to trade him for a pack of cheezels. If this is the case, it does not appear entirely sensible in the medium to long term either, in a rational sense.

This is actually big picture thinking IMO. Perhaps it's just a different picture to the one you're looking at.

 

Edited by Ron Burgundy
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Neeld made several statements of intent too.

Simiarly, he only wanted blokes who'd willingly eat road kill and run head first through brick walls (Brent Moloney aside).

Whilst this had immediate and superficial appeal to success-starved fans, history shows that it was absolutely the wrong approach. Fortunately Paul Roos took the conch and fixed most of these mistakes. Relevantly, he created a decent club culture.

Right now, I don't expect Roos would be seeking to trade Watts, and that concerns me. Not in an emotional sense, but in a clinically rational sense. It could do a lot of damage to the culture of the club and create negativity within the player group.

Many Richmond supporters who now think of Dustin Martin as a favourite son wanted him out the door for a first rounder a few years ago. But it's hard to replace talent like that. In this regard, I expect there are far fewer talented players like Jack Watts out there than there are James Magner's and Tom Couch's.

And this is why some people here are emotional about this. Watts is our Tom Lynch - he's a gun deliverer of the football, he has great vision and skills, and the club is potentially about to trade him for a pack of cheezels. If this is the case, it does not appear entirely sensible in the medium to long term either, in a rational sense.

This is actually big picture thinking IMO. Perhaps it's just a different picture to the one you're looking at.

 

Excet Dusty came good 4 years ago. And now he's playing the best footbal of his career. How long will Watts take to play consistent football and, you know, tackle? He's coming up to his 10th season

10th!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wish they would just trade him tonight and end this crap. 

The " what's he delivered in the last 9 years?" line is getting old. 

Seriously, what has this club delivered the last decade? Diarrhoea, that's it!

He wasn't drafted to take contested marks even though he took the 6th most this season for us.

Was he drafted because he's a tackling machine? Me thinks not, even though he averaged more or the same amount of tackles as Buddy, Reiwoldt(Jack), Tex and Lever this season.

Is he the only player that's come back pre-season with my shite doesn't stink attitude? Well documented and responded well I thought.

Without any knowledge of the inner sanctum I go by what I see and some agree and some don't. 

He's very smart around goals and his work rate is almost second to none to create space in attack for our bigger forwards.

He was very consistent game to game prior to the hamstring injury.

Personally I believe he can offer plenty for us in the next few years if we continue the upwards trend.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, praha said:

Excet Dusty came good 4 years ago. And now he's playing the best footbal of his career. How long will Watts take to play consistent football and, you know, tackle? He's coming up to his 10th season

10th!

To be honest, I differ on this one to many here. I'm just concerned about his recent and current form and, relevantly, his value going forward. What he was like 5, 6, 7 years ago is irrelevant to me.

He was in AA form last season and again this season up until he did his hamstring mid-year. After that, he was indifferent, albeit punctuated by a few really good moments.

Unless we can get something really good for him, I reckon we'd have rocks in our heads to trade him for not that much in return.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dee tention said:

I will speculate;

It sounds like Jack is a distraction and bad influence on the rest of the team or players through lack of commitment, preperation, buy in etc etc.

Maybe the leadership group has had enough along with the coach(s). Its obvious there is frustration there.

If this is the case, I can concur. The MFC is serious about contending for a premiership and this behaviour wont be tolerated.

If Jack is traded. It raises the bar of what is expected by the MFC and I am sure those who are distracted will refocus.

Max next?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, clark's kick said:

On its own, it will not magically solve our consistency issues. And i cant see too many people suggesting that it will.

But trading a highly inconsistent player who still has some trade value seems like a logical attempt to move in the right direction.

Fine if you disagree. Its a tight call. But i'm rapt we're trying something.

I dont get why people are losing their minds over this, as if we're trading a viney or dare i say it, a woewodin.

 

'Losing their minds' is a subjective analysis and I don't care about the nonsense that it 'is showing the club is divided' - I don't buy into that and equating those that question this move with those harbingers of drama and doom is effing frustrating. 

My points are that we are not going to get value for what he could bring to the club and that he is unfairly singled out as the root cause of all our troubles, and they won't disappear when he does.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I"m concerned we still have a problem coach.

This may sound like a knock on Goody,and it is to a degree.But it is not unsalvageable .

We tend to go from overly compassionate (Bailey/Roos) to emotionless/overly authoritarian (Goody/Neeld)

Flicking from one of these important traits to the other-Lurching as we are in rough waters.

It's a symptom of where we are at that only Roos(the most well balanced of the last few) has gotten the most out of Watts.

Still think it will be such a shame if he goes and I think it will be a mistake.

What I cannot see for Watts is that he will survive in a club like Port Adelaide.

Watts will despise being in a place like Port Adelaide.

There is no way he will end up there with their bogan fans and moron President.

Goodwin must take the blame for the dropping of Watts in the second last game-ruining confidence against a team that Watts knew he had destroyed with his own individual brilliance the last time they played.Buckley would have been relieved.It was a gross error by Goodwin and one he will compound if he Trades the enigmatic Watts.

As our leader, it is ABSOLUTELY a failure that Goodwin has done this and is now trying to literally make his problem disappear.

The best result would be if we cannot get a deal done and these two come to an understanding of each other-even though their personalities are very different.

 

Edited by Biffen
Factual error.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Biffen said:

I"m concerned we still have a problem coach.

This may sound like a knock on Goody,and it is to a degree.But it is not unsalvageable .

We tend to go from overly compassionate (Bailey/Roos) to emotionless/overly authoritarian (Goody/Neeld)

Flicking from one of these important traits to the other-Lurching as we are in rough waters.

It's a symptom of where we are at that only Roos(the most well balanced of the last few) has gotten the most out of Watts.

Still think it will be such a shame if he goes and I think it will be a mistake.

What I cannot see for Watts is that he will survive in a club like Port Adelaide.

Watts will despise being in a place like Port Adelaide.

There is no way he will end up there with their bogan fans and moron President.

Goodwin must take the blame for the dropping of Watts in the last game-against a team that Watts knew he had destroyed with his own individual brilliance the last time they played.Buckley would have been relieved.It was a gross error by Goodwin and one he will compound if he Trades the enigmatic Watts.

As our leader, it is ABSOLUTELY a failure that Goodwin has done this and is now trying to literally make his problem disappear.

The best result would be if we cannot get a deal done and these two come to an understanding of each other-even though their personalities are very different.

 

Watts played in the last game against Collingwood

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

14 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

To be honest, I differ on this one to many here. I'm just concerned about his recent and current form and, relevantly, his value going forward. What he was like 5, 6, 7 years ago is irrelevant to me.

He was in AA form last season and again this season up until he did his hamstring mid-year. After that, he was indifferent, albeit punctuated by a few really good moments.

Unless we can get something really good for him, I reckon we'd have rocks in our heads to trade him for not that much in return.

 

He was nowhere near All Australian form in 2016 and the first half of 2017

He played about what should be expectation for a push up half forward who can relieve ruck as required

His second half of each year was okay in 16 and awful in 2017

Personally I’m more interested in how we structure up - with T Mac and Hogan as main forwards and then an opportunity for another mid-size player to apply the defensive pressure, plus Pedo coming in and fingers crossed Weed developing as he adds strength and aerobic fitness to his frame

Perhaps that’s what we’re looking at for in exchange with Port - I actually don’t mind Impey, and I’d take Sam Gray for Watts pretty quick smart - he has great speed and tackles with intent, can find the ball pushing up thru midfield

I would guess that the football dept. have decided we can’t go in with a combo of T Mac, Hogan, Pedo / Weed, and Watts, and only Melksham and Garlett applying true defensive pressure - Pedo or Weed is probably the best of those four with being ‘bigs’ who will pay with the defensive pressure expected these days

Edited by DemonAndrew
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, praha said:

It seems like a locker room thing. Watts has probably be at the club for too long and has found a comfort zone. His performance against North was imo the nail in the coffin. I don't think I've ever been so angry after a Melbourne match and his effort was so obviously lacking that it's difficult to defend him. Kicking winning goals on QB means jack if you can't even chase in the business end of the season with finals on the line.

Let's get rid of these perennial losers, get what we can from them, and build a club filled with blokes that don't just hate to lose, but use that as drive and application to perform. I'm sure Watts hates losing but I've lost patience now. We were shown up in the last month of football and in this case I feel he can be considered part of the problem .

He's a 9 year veteran of the club who is stil getting dropped. I'm so sick of this [censored]. 

His performance against North? If that's your criteria, then 90% of the team should be traded.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DavidNeitz9 said:

Watts played in the last game against Collingwood

Ok-Then my entire post is irrelevant.

If it was the game prior then they sent him in with low confidence.

Amended.

Edited by Biffen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

 

He was nowhere near All Australian form in 2016 and the first half of 2017

He played about what should be expectation for a push up half forward who can relieve ruck as required

His second half of each year was okay in 16 and awful in 2017

Personally I’m more interested in how we structure up - with T Mac and Hogan as main forwards and then an opportunity for another mid-size player to apply the defensive pressure, plus Pedo coming in and fingers crossed Weed developing as he adds strength and aerobic fitness to his frame

Perhaps that’s what we’re looking at for in exchange with Port - I actually don’t mind Impey, and I’d take Sam Gray for Watts pretty quick smart

I would guess that the football dept. have decided we can’t go in with a combo of T Mac, Hogan, Pedo / Weed, and Watts, and only Melksham and Garlett applying true defensive pressure - Pedo or Weed is probably the best of those four with being ‘bigs’ who will pay with the defensive pressure expected these days

He absolutely was in 2016. He won a few games for us single handedly.

Watch, for instance, the Geelong game earlier this season again. Watts was unbelievable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LONG AGO AND FAR AWAY by Whispering Jack

    When the combatants that are due to face off on Monday night at Optus Stadium last met, it was 11 days after the World Health Organization had declared the Covid19 outbreak a global pandemic. In Australia, the first cases had just come to light, including visiting US actors Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson, the toilet paper panic was in full flight and the world was starting to reel in anticipation of impending disaster. Half an hour before this last game of the opening round was due to comme

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...