Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

18 minutes ago, A F said:

Given his dad has come out and spoken in the media, I'd say his position is now untenable.

An obvious ruse. The dad knows a lot more than what has been revealed. Watts leaving or not leaving is only part of a bigger more ominous story. The media is burying the chilling truth. It's a trojan horse ... or is it a golden calf? You can't be sure of anything in these troubled times. I can't reveal my sources as they would be hunted down by the forces of evil (or good ... we can't even be sure of that).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

An obvious ruse. The dad knows a lot more than what has been revealed. Watts leaving or not leaving is only part of a bigger more ominous story. The media is burying the chilling truth. It's a trojan horse ... or is it a golden calf? You can't be sure of anything in these troubled times. I can't reveal my sources as they would be hunted down by the forces of evil (or good ... we can't even be sure of that).

Lol, no doubt his dad knows more. And a bit like Lever's dad, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack's club of destination has had a quiet word to try and force our hand.

2 hours ago, jnrmac said:

that would be getting dangerously low i imagine...... :)

I reckon.

Probably dipped into the 130’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Statistically the role of the lead-up or 3rd tall appears to have changed in 2017. In 2016, 8 players I'd consider a lead-up 3rd tall kicked 40 goals or more, and Watts kicked 38. In 2017, only 3 kicked 40 or more, being Menzel 40, Darling 43, R. Gray 47. It's arguable whether Gray is a small or lead-up forward, and whether Darling is a KPF. And Menzel is now considered expendable.

The decision to move Watts on is as much about gameplan and structure, as it is about anything else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Lol, no doubt his dad knows more. And a bit like Lever's dad, I wouldn't be surprised if Jack's club of destination has had a quiet word to try and force our hand.

how do you mean 'force our hand' AF?..

14 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Statistically the role of the lead-up or 3rd tall appears to have changed in 2017. In 2016, 8 players I'd consider a lead-up 3rd tall kicked 40 goals or more, and Watts kicked 38. In 2017, only 3 kicked 40 or more, being Menzel 40, Darling 43, R. Gray 47. It's arguable whether Gray is a small or lead-up forward, and whether Darling is a KPF. And Menzel is now considered expendable.

The decision to move Watts on is as much about gameplan and structure, as it is about anything else.

Indeed. I'd liken it to the extinction of the gorilla handlers. We moved on our one gorilla handler in Dunn last year, for example. We are usually moving with the game or even ahead of the curve these days, so I'll back the FD in here. 

I keep mentioning him, but Tyson may become extinct in our set up next year too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rocky said:

how do you mean 'force our hand' AF?..

Haha, I'm not quite sure. 

Perhaps, I was thinking the opposition might try to force us into a corner and getting the deal done by accepting a lower value for Jack, because we've 'stuffed him around'. But that might be fanciful thinking that our FD would be pressured into that.

• Like 1

If you re-arrange the letters in Port Adelaide you get.....

IDEAL ADOPTER

:rolleyes:

I have given my gift of wisdom - now back to the rope aisle at Bunnings

Edited by Krazy Jaeger O'Smeara
  • Like 1

Probably made mentioned already after 200 odd pages but this saga has been handled atrociously by the club. Why the heck would you come out a flame your own player. It really serves no purpose. There are a dozen other ways to say you are not wanted by the club.

Watts deserves to go to his club of choice even if it's for pick 60.

I don't get the Watts bashers on here either. He is not in the top 10 players on our list.. so be it.. I think most agree that finals will be won by the best bottom 6 or so players in the 22 not the top few. Not everyone of 22 will be super elite.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Krazy Jaeger O'Smeara said:

If you re-arrange the letters in Port Adelaide you get.....

IDEAL ADOPTER

:rolleyes:

I have given my gift of wisdom - now back to the rope aisle at Bunnings

'rope aisle at Bunnings' -> 'national superbeings'

Christ. This thing is even bigger than I thought.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, worldwideweb_demon said:

Probably made mentioned already after 200 odd pages but this saga has been handled atrociously by the club. Why the heck would you come out a flame your own player. It really serves no purpose. There are a dozen other ways to say you are not wanted by the club.

Watts deserves to go to his club of choice even if it's for pick 60.

I don't get the Watts bashers on here either. He is not in the top 10 players on our list.. so be it.. I think most agree that finals will be won by the best bottom 6 or so players in the 22 not the top few. Not everyone of 22 will be super elite.

Agree.

The arguments on the merit of whether he stays or goes has obviously been done to death. It has got to the point of needing resolution but presumably it will be resolved in the next few days.

My angst is not with his merits as a footballer but the way the club has handled the affair.

First, it makes the club appear totally incompetent and inefficient. In short, very bad management. 

Second, it makes the club look very bad from a "values" perspective. Like any organisation, the club should have a strong emphasis on people management and one that incorporates transparency in its dealings with its players and staff, and one that treats both those groups in a respectful manner.  

In this case, the player despite not fulfilling peoples expectations has been at the club for 9 years, played 150 games and has been recognized for his loyalty to the club.

Football is a business and a business that craves success, but loyalty should still be be valued. We supporters are loyal and we like loyalty in our players. 

What does the club do? 

It is willing to break a 3 year contract with the player and treats the player who professes his love for the club like an outcast. I wonder how Bartlett, Jackson, Goodwin or any of the other coaches or staff would feel if they were treated this way? 

I think the Clubs handling of the affair has been shameful and it sends a very bad message to others not least the remainder of the playing group. 

Not one of the Clubs best moments. And  not one likely to be forgotten quickly. Sure we will move on, but it leaves a very bad taste in this supporters mouth. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2

The club asked Watts to explore his options, nothing more. Good wins view on him have been known since the start of the season. For those rattling on about how badly it's been handled accept that there really is no other way. I'd blame his manager and the media for the [censored] not the club 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roost It said:

The club asked Watts to explore his options, nothing more. Good wins view on him have been known since the start of the season. For those rattling on about how badly it's been handled accept that there really is no other way. I'd blame his manager and the media for the [censored] not the club 

How obstinate. I suggest you never work in change management.

"We had to fire those people, I blame their spouses and their colleagues for their negative reaction. Not us"

Sometimes all you can do is manage a bad situation, and I am not going to absolve the club here, we had some process, perception and execution issues.

It's not the end of the world, but denying any blame won't end the conversation.

• Like 2

Exactly Roost 

The club has handled it the only way possible inthe circumstances

Should never had got to this

Roos coddled  him back in 2016. Big mistake in my opinion . He must have known Goodwins view of Jack at the time.

The only other possible reason is that Jack has done something really really bad to pizz goodwin off so really

there is no way back

In all Jack must shoulder what ever blame there is for the outcome

I don't agree with the view that this is all on Goodwin. Absolutely no way he overrules the rest of the FD and pulls the leadership group along with him. They all seem to be on the same page with this. 

I think some here need to accept that the wider club want Jack moved on. We need to leave this fantasyland that casts Goodwin as the evil dictator, because it's laughable and so obviously untrue and conspiratorial.

Could we have handled it better? Potentially. Is division amongst the supporter base healthy? No. You don't have to support the club on every decision, but don't confuse that with undermining the administration and its FD. So stop yourself from stabbing our Head Coach in the back every second post.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, rpfc said:

How obstinate. I suggest you never work in change management.

"We had to fire those people, I blame their spouses and their colleagues for their negative reaction. Not us"

Sometimes all you can do is manage a bad situation, and I am not going to absolve the club here, we had some process, perception and execution issues.

It's not the end of the world, but denying any blame won't end the conversation.

It could’ve been handled like Woey and Goodwin et al would be under even more criticism.

Roost it is right that it’s been blown up by the media and Watts management.

• Like 1