Farewell Jack Watts

PaulRB

Trade Jack Watts or not?  

477 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Port now have Rockliffe and Motlop.

I 'm not sure what their budget is.

Watts is 1 mill over 2 years.

I don't believe Geelong have the space to pay that

I don't see Watts at Port.

So Goodwin will need to put on his grimace and coach a player he doesn't like.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Biffen said:

Port now have Rockliffe and Motlop.

I 'm not sure what their budget is.

Watts is 1 mill over 2 years.

I don't believe Geelong have the space to pay that

I don't see Watts at Port.

So Goodwin will need to put on his grimace and coach a player he doesn't like.

Stephen Wells said this week they have space to pay Watts.

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Have you ever been to Port Adelaide?

If Jack goes to Port Adelaide he wouldn't be living there. He could afford living in a posh suburb a la Toorak. Glenelg might appeal. PS Just remembered a top suburb for Jack. North Brighton should appeal for its name alone.

Edited by Bobby McKenzie

22 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Stephen Wells said this week they have space to pay Watts.

Even with getting Ablett? Surely getting their favourite son home is going to be a priority over Watts. 

22 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Just read that Dees would entertain pick 30 & 33 for pick 45 and Watts. To sweeten the deal, Dees would pay some of Watts salary in 18&19. 

Really? This shows how desperate we are to offload Wattsy. 

He must done some despicable acts and we must desparately need to free up salary cap room. 

A bitter and unsavoury outcome for a very popular and loyal player.  

If 30 & 33 can be then again bundled into an early pick in the 20s, or for a player that we think is worth that, then I say go for it.

The team has been set non-negotiable KPI's under Goodwin, and, for whatever reason, at least twice he broke them. That he seems shocked is probably the icing on the cake. He got a bloody good contract and then coasted. Same as he has done for all of his time with us. A highlight here and a great Q there, doesn't make up for the days he wanders around making half arsed efforts. Every player has to go hard in every quarter of every game - or go somewhere else. Players like him will never win you flags, but they can sure help lose them.

I also reckon that the 'poor bugger... he went #1 and has all the pressure in the world on him' is crud. It's been the other way - 'I went #1 so I can get away with not working my arse off like that bloke that went #72'.

And popular doesn't cut it. You can be the most liked at the club, or you can be the bloke that the coach and captain DON'T throw their arms up in the air every time they are asked about you. And loyalty is BS too. We have invested more into him than he has returned. If he was loyal he'd be saying 'No. I'm not going. What I will do is work at every facet of my game. I will be the first there, the last to leave, and go harder than anyone at any contest - just like my captains do.'  Not holding my breath on that one.

Stay or go. I don't mind either, but FFS pull your finger out. Don't be another Sylvia. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fester said:

If 30 & 33 can be then again bundled into an early pick in the 20s, or for a player that we think is worth that, then I say go for it.

The team has been set non-negotiable KPI's under Goodwin, and, for whatever reason, at least twice he broke them. That he seems shocked is probably the icing on the cake. He got a bloody good contract and then coasted. Same as he has done for all of his time with us. A highlight here and a great Q there, doesn't make up for the days he wanders around making half arsed efforts. Every player has to go hard in every quarter of every game - or go somewhere else. Players like him will never win you flags, but they can sure help lose them.

I also reckon that the 'poor bugger... he went #1 and has all the pressure in the world on him' is crud. It's been the other way - 'I went #1 so I can get away with not working my arse off like that bloke that went #72'.

And popular doesn't cut it. You can be the most liked at the club, or you can be the bloke that the coach and captain DON'T throw their arms up in the air every time they are asked about you. And loyalty is BS too. We have invested more into him than he has returned. If he was loyal he'd be saying 'No. I'm not going. What I will do is work at every facet of my game. I will be the first there, the last to leave, and go harder than anyone at any contest - just like my captains do.'  Not holding my breath on that one.

Stay or go. I don't mind either, but FFS pull your finger out. Don't be another Sylvia. 

Yes, Sylvia Plath, who could forget. A tale of woe that one.

5 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/37467086/jack-watts-takes-cheeky-dig-at-melbourne-demons/

Apparently this is a story. It sounds like Jack still doesnt know why he is being moved on or still doesnt get it or is mad which I get. 

Anyway it will be interesting to see him at Port if thats where he is to end up. 

Well if the club were considering keeping him....they aren't anymore..

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/37467086/jack-watts-takes-cheeky-dig-at-melbourne-demons/

Apparently this is a story. It sounds like Jack still doesnt know why he is being moved on or still doesnt get it or is mad which I get. 

Anyway it will be interesting to see him at Port if thats where he is to end up. 

Watts has spent too much time reading this thread. He now believes that being a good kick is all it takes to make a good AFL footballer.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Watts has spent too much time reading this thead. He now believes that being a good kick is all it takes to make a good AFL footballer.

Yes, we need more blokes who can bulldoze their way through a pack and then kick it straight to an opponent.  Then they can fiercely contest another ball-up in the centre circle.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Biffen said:

Robbie was a ball player and rarely tackled-you must admit that much.

Provoked me to log in for the first time in years. Well done.

Tulip went when it was his turn and often when it wasn't, backed into pack marks and was downright courageous.  If it wasn't for his smarts he would have been steamrolled every match.

I admire JW kicking skills and decision making apart from when the decision is 'don't think I'll go for that' which is too often.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Jack was great in that clip with the young supporter.  He knows why he's being moved on, but gave a cheeky dig at what he's good at. 

He loves the Dees, but knows he has no choice.  You can't stay if the coach doesn't want you. 

For all his frustrating traits as a player it's impossible not to love the person.  When his career is over he'll be at the G supporting the Dees.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Just now, ProDee said:

Jack was great in that clip with the young supporter.  He knows why he's being moved on, but gave a cheeky dig at what he's good at. 

He loves the Dees, but knows he has no choice.  You can't stay if the coach doesn't want you. 

For all his frustrating traits as a player it's impossible not to love the person.  When his career is over he'll be at the G supporting the Dees.

Agree, he's a good lad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What would you consider fair?

Looks like we will also be paying for part of his salary. Thanks FD!!

Is he that much trouble to the club that we are going to trade him for a low pick and also pay the other Club to take him?? Sorry MFC but I don't pay my Redlegs membership to see Port Win a flag before us. I cannot understand why he is up for trade. To me it shows bad people management from the FD. 

Edited by Umpire Please
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, sue said:

Yes, we need more blokes who can bulldoze their way through a pack and then kick it straight to an opponent.  Then they can fiercely contest another ball-up in the centre circle.

Were we not with reach of the top 4 until injuries and a tough schedule hit? These types of generalized comments undersell our list and paint everyone as a turnover merchant. 

Edited by Deeprived Childhood
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

What would you consider fair?

A pick between 20-26, without us having to pay his salary. A pick in the 30s with us eating some of his salary sucks.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

4 minutes ago, ProDee said:

No he’ll be playing golf with his deer stalker hat and tweed jacket.

I doubt Geelong will use pick 19 compo from Motlop to secure Watts but if they do, I hope the irony isn’t lost on Port Adelaide.