• Podcast:     

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - STEVEN MAY

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of banter between May and Lynch at a dinner the other night. From the AFL site.  "We went out for dinner the other night on the Gold Coast," May said. "We were talking about the Anzac

I have it on good authority that our coach and one of our senior players had drinks/dinner with May last night.

It's worth re-iterating that Steven May chose MFC over offers from Collingwood and Hawthorn who also made finals this year - really who would've thought that even 2 years ago? And he cited the ke

Posted Images

Garry Sully 

• Like 1

Gold Coast may be wanting an established player for May. Hawthorn are into him also, but don't have trade picks to get him in so they'll look at sending someone of experience to land him. If we want him, we will need to give up something.

Out: Tyson, 2nd round

In: May, 3rd. 

I think that would be reasonable enough.

• Like 5

For those that missed it, Sam Maclure asked Garry later in the program "You've brought May up twice this morning in relation to Melbourne...what do you know?".  Lyon said he knew nothing other than May was "very gettable".

Personally, giving our first pick and $600k+ for May (who plays next year as a 26 year old) wouldn't be my first priority.  I appreciate you can't have too many good players but we have absolutely glaring deficiencies with outside midfield pace, and a genuine 200cm forward/ruck.  I'd be fixing those gaping holes first.  Alex Rance wouldn't have done much on Brown yesterday with the way it was being walked in through the corridor.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, juzzk1d said:

Gold Coast may be wanting an established player for May. Hawthorn are into him also, but don't have trade picks to get him in so they'll look at sending someone of experience to land him. If we want him, we will need to give up something.

Out: Tyson, 2nd round

In: May, 3rd. 

I think that would be reasonable enough.

I agree with this.. Players that potentially have currency that I would consider trading.. Tyson, Watts and Kent.

2 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

For those that missed it, Sam Maclure asked Garry later in the program "You've brought May up twice this morning in relation to Melbourne...what do you know?".  Lyon said he knew nothing other than May was "very gettable".

Personally, giving our first pick and $600k+ for May (who plays next year as a 26 year old) wouldn't be my first priority.  I appreciate you can't have too many good players but we have absolutely glaring deficiencies with outside midfield pace, and a genuine 200cm forward/ruck.  I'd be fixing those gaping holes first.  Alex Rance wouldn't have done much on Brown yesterday with the way it was being walked in through the corridor.

Ben Brown isn't the only key forward to have his way with us this year.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Must get 

Here's our record against key forwards in 2017

Round 1 v St Kilda: Nick Riewoldt (4 goals, 7 marks)

Round 2 v Carlton: Levi Casboult (1 goal, 8 marks, could've kicked 3-4)

Round 3 v Geelong: Tom Hawkins (5 goals, 5 marks)

Round 4 v Fremantle: Cam McCarthy (2 goals, including the match winner)

Round 5 v Richmond: Jack Riewoldt (6 goals, 3 marks)

Round 6 v Essendon: Joe Daniher (1.6 goals, 9 marks, could've kicked 6-7 goals instead)

Round 7 v Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead (4 goals, 6 marks)

Round 8 v Adelaide: Taylor Walker (2 goals, 3 marks, well held)

Round 9 v North Melbourne: Ben Brown (5 goals, 6 marks)

We are getting destroyed by key forwards. Oscar isn't ready. Mac is being thrown around the ground to cover injuries and holes elsewhere. Frost is a decent rebounder, good when the ball hits the deck, but not the best defender in aerial marking contests. We need a strong key defender. It's our number 1 deficiency. I'd be offering up our first round pick for May and throwing in steak knives if required. He's a proven quality key defender, one of the best in the AFL at present. If he'd been in our team this year we'd likely be somewhere between 4th-8th on the ladder at the moment as some of those key forwards wouldn't have got a hold of us. He's also a leader and has some mongrel in him. If he was around when the North players were sniping behind play he probably would've lined a few of them up!

Should be our number 1 target in the off season. Make it happen Dees!

• Like 6

Strong rumors that we were into Hurley big time and not too far off . enough for Timmy watson to have the irrates with Goodwin and the dees , May maybe Gaz got neeld to the club so I think it requires more thought. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Here's our record against key forwards in 2017

Round 1 v St Kilda: Nick Riewoldt (4 goals, 7 marks)

Round 2 v Carlton: Levi Casboult (1 goal, 8 marks, could've kicked 3-4)

Round 3 v Geelong: Tom Hawkins (5 goals, 5 marks)

Round 4 v Fremantle: Cam McCarthy (2 goals, including the match winner)

Round 5 v Richmond: Jack Riewoldt (6 goals, 3 marks)

Round 6 v Essendon: Joe Daniher (1.6 goals, 9 marks, could've kicked 6-7 goals instead)

Round 7 v Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead (4 goals, 6 marks)

Round 8 v Adelaide: Taylor Walker (2 goals, 3 marks, well held)

Round 9 v North Melbourne: Ben Brown (5 goals, 6 marks)

We are getting destroyed by key forwards. Oscar isn't ready. Mac is being thrown around the ground to cover injuries and holes elsewhere. Frost is a decent rebounder, good when the ball hits the deck, but not the best defender in aerial marking contests. We need a strong key defender. It's our number 1 deficiency. I'd be offering up our first round pick for May and throwing in steak knives if required. He's a proven quality key defender, one of the best in the AFL at present. If he'd been in our team this year we'd likely be somewhere between 4th-8th on the ladder at the moment as some of those key forwards wouldn't have got a hold of us. He's also a leader and has some mongrel in him. If he was around when the North players were sniping behind play he probably would've lined a few of them up!

Should be our number 1 target in the off season. Make it happen Dees!

Speaking of forwards when was the last time one of ours kicked five or more? I know Hogan had a few big bags but that's a while ago now.

1 minute ago, america de cali said:

Speaking of forwards when was the last time one of ours kicked five or more? I know Hogan had a few big bags but that's a while ago now.

We don't need to.  Our forward line is not the issue, we have a great spread of goal kickers. I'd rather Hogan kick 3 and we kick 16 as a side than him kicking 6 of 10.

• Like 5
Just now, Wiseblood said:

We don't need to.  Our forward line is not the issue, we have a great spread of goal kickers. I'd rather Hogan kick 3 and we kick 16 as a side than him kicking 6 of 10.

Nothing like a good spread topped off by a fiver.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, america de cali said:

I'd like to see each of them have 5 tackles.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I'd like to see each of them have 5 tackles.

Asking for a lot there given the feisty forwards we have now. The request has been made adnauseum for a long time.

Edited by america de cali
28 minutes ago, CityDee said:

Strong rumors that we were into Hurley big time and not too far off . enough for Timmy watson to have the irrates with Goodwin and the dees , May maybe Gaz got neeld to the club so I think it requires more thought. 

Didn't Hurley recommit to the Bombers last year? Pretty sure he's tied up 

45 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

Alex Rance wouldn't have done much on Brown yesterday with the way it was being walked in through the corridor.

If you watch the replay, you will see that Oscar's reaction time to some of Brown's leads were abysmal. Like, seriously abysmal. 

There is no doubting that it's easy to be completely caught out of position as a defender if there is a turnover up the field, but any defender with decent reaction time and some sort of pace would have at the very least been able to effect a spoil on a few of Brown's leads when the defender and forward were at arms reach of each other. Alex Rance would have done more because he's Alex Rance.

For everyone out there who constantly whines about individuals being labelled "whipping boys", there's a reason why you twits. Whilst Dazzle likes to go the extreme with name calling and expletives etc, I would rather just say that they're not at the required level. 

Someone name me one strong attribute that Oscar has to his game.  Anyone. I'll give you $10 if you can. 

Of course we didn't lose the game because of one or two key defenders yesterday, but again, I'd love posters to watch the replay of Oscars game and let me know how you think he is going. 

We are crying out for Steven May. Or any half-decent key defender that doesn't make more than two or three catastrophic errors a game. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 5

It makes sense because it won't take a first rounder to get him. I'd prefer the next rance, but that would cost too much, or take too long to develop. Getting affordable solid defenders as the Hawks have done over the years with Gibson, Frawley and others is a good call as long as we're a destination club and we don't have to give up too much. We have a core of 12 or so guys who are very young that HAVE to be kept. I have a bad feeling we'll be shirting one of our best to get things going.

lol at people suggesting trading Kent. No value to other clubs. Watts has value, as does Tyson. I'd prefer to keep Tyson. Having a crappy year, but has won games for us off his own boot in the past. Watts is the interesting one. If you was floated, clubs would come from far and wide, and we could get some really juicy stuff for him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

If you watch the replay, you will see that Oscar's reaction time to some of Brown's leads were abysmal. Like, seriously abysmal. 

There is no doubting that it's easy to be completely caught out of position as a defender if there is a turnover up the field, but any defender with decent reaction time and some sort of pace would have at the very least been able to effect a spoil on a few of Brown's leads when the defender and forward were at arms reach of each other. Alex Rance would have done more because he's Alex Rance.

For everyone out there who constantly whines about individuals being labelled "whipping boys", there's a reason why you twits. Whilst Dazzle likes to go the extreme with name calling and expletives etc, I would rather just say that they're not at the required level. 

Someone name me one strong attribute that Oscar has to his game.  Anyone. I'll give you $10 if you can. 

Of course we didn't lose the game because of one or two key defenders yesterday, but again, I'd love posters to watch the replay of Oscars game and let me know how you think he is going. 

What do you suggest the Match Committee do this week if you think Oscar should be dropped?

2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

It makes sense because it won't take a first rounder to get him. I'd prefer the next rance, but that would cost too much, or take too long to develop. Getting affordable solid defenders as the Hawks have done over the years with Gibson, Frawley and others is a good call as long as we're a destination club and we don't have to give up too much. We have a core of 12 or so guys who are very young that HAVE to be kept. I have a bad feeling we'll be shirting one of our best to get things going.

lol at people suggesting trading Kent. No value to other clubs. Watts has value, as does Tyson. I'd prefer to keep Tyson. Having a crappy year, but has won games for us off his own boot in the past. Watts is the interesting one. If you was floated, clubs would come from far and wide, and we could get some really juicy stuff for him.

I thought Watts had been floated previously (even last year?) and there were no bites

I heard a few weeks back we are into May and Lever, cannot remember if it was on radio or an article somewhere like Fox. Remember it clearly though. A KPF, KPD would be handy. I don't think any of the McDonalds or Weideman are our answer to anything.

• Like 2
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought Watts had been floated previously (even last year?) and there were no bites

I think there were bites, but none significant enough... and before it got interesting and late in the piece, Watts stayed out of nowhere. I remember thinking at the time it had something to do with the collective bargaining mess. Bit like Hogan.

I think given roles that players play, and flexibility, Watts could net a late first rounder, and that's not just a positive demons supporter carrying on. It would require him playing well the rest of the year. He's only had 2 bad games the last two weeks and has been great the rest of the year. He's very much a cream player. Put him in a side playing well and he'll really produce. My problem with him is he's just not tough, and can't mark without another 10 kilos. On the positive side he was awesome last year, has been super this year. The league is onto him now, and the media has watched him closely and seen his workrate get bigger. Has a huge engine now. And with his unbelievable kick and versatility, he'd be super attractive. Just look at what happened with Vickery.

• Like 1

If May leaves GCS they are going to want either a ridiculous draft hand (which I doubt given their inability to maintain players) or more likely an experienced player in the 23-25 age bracket.

I don't see how we get it done without losing something of value.

People talking about Watts will then very quickly complain about our lack of tall forwards. 

• Like 2

• Demonland changed the title to WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB STEVEN MAY