Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - STEVEN MAY



Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit of banter between May and Lynch at a dinner the other night. From the AFL site.  "We went out for dinner the other night on the Gold Coast," May said. "We were talking about the Anzac

I have it on good authority that our coach and one of our senior players had drinks/dinner with May last night.

It's worth re-iterating that Steven May chose MFC over offers from Collingwood and Hawthorn who also made finals this year - really who would've thought that even 2 years ago? And he cited the ke

Posted Images


Garry Sully 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Gold Coast may be wanting an established player for May. Hawthorn are into him also, but don't have trade picks to get him in so they'll look at sending someone of experience to land him. If we want him, we will need to give up something.

Out: Tyson, 2nd round

In: May, 3rd. 

I think that would be reasonable enough.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that missed it, Sam Maclure asked Garry later in the program "You've brought May up twice this morning in relation to Melbourne...what do you know?".  Lyon said he knew nothing other than May was "very gettable".

Personally, giving our first pick and $600k+ for May (who plays next year as a 26 year old) wouldn't be my first priority.  I appreciate you can't have too many good players but we have absolutely glaring deficiencies with outside midfield pace, and a genuine 200cm forward/ruck.  I'd be fixing those gaping holes first.  Alex Rance wouldn't have done much on Brown yesterday with the way it was being walked in through the corridor.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, juzzk1d said:

Gold Coast may be wanting an established player for May. Hawthorn are into him also, but don't have trade picks to get him in so they'll look at sending someone of experience to land him. If we want him, we will need to give up something.

Out: Tyson, 2nd round

In: May, 3rd. 

I think that would be reasonable enough.

I agree with this.. Players that potentially have currency that I would consider trading.. Tyson, Watts and Kent.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

For those that missed it, Sam Maclure asked Garry later in the program "You've brought May up twice this morning in relation to Melbourne...what do you know?".  Lyon said he knew nothing other than May was "very gettable".

Personally, giving our first pick and $600k+ for May (who plays next year as a 26 year old) wouldn't be my first priority.  I appreciate you can't have too many good players but we have absolutely glaring deficiencies with outside midfield pace, and a genuine 200cm forward/ruck.  I'd be fixing those gaping holes first.  Alex Rance wouldn't have done much on Brown yesterday with the way it was being walked in through the corridor.

Ben Brown isn't the only key forward to have his way with us this year.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

For those that missed it, Sam Maclure asked Garry later in the program "You've brought May up twice this morning in relation to Melbourne...what do you know?".  Lyon said he knew nothing other than May was "very gettable".

Personally, giving our first pick and $600k+ for May (who plays next year as a 26 year old) wouldn't be my first priority.  I appreciate you can't have too many good players but we have absolutely glaring deficiencies with outside midfield pace, and a genuine 200cm forward/ruck.  I'd be fixing those gaping holes first.  Alex Rance wouldn't have done much on Brown yesterday with the way it was being walked in through the corridor.

Must get 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's our record against key forwards in 2017

Round 1 v St Kilda: Nick Riewoldt (4 goals, 7 marks)

Round 2 v Carlton: Levi Casboult (1 goal, 8 marks, could've kicked 3-4)

Round 3 v Geelong: Tom Hawkins (5 goals, 5 marks)

Round 4 v Fremantle: Cam McCarthy (2 goals, including the match winner)

Round 5 v Richmond: Jack Riewoldt (6 goals, 3 marks)

Round 6 v Essendon: Joe Daniher (1.6 goals, 9 marks, could've kicked 6-7 goals instead)

Round 7 v Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead (4 goals, 6 marks)

Round 8 v Adelaide: Taylor Walker (2 goals, 3 marks, well held)

Round 9 v North Melbourne: Ben Brown (5 goals, 6 marks)

We are getting destroyed by key forwards. Oscar isn't ready. Mac is being thrown around the ground to cover injuries and holes elsewhere. Frost is a decent rebounder, good when the ball hits the deck, but not the best defender in aerial marking contests. We need a strong key defender. It's our number 1 deficiency. I'd be offering up our first round pick for May and throwing in steak knives if required. He's a proven quality key defender, one of the best in the AFL at present. If he'd been in our team this year we'd likely be somewhere between 4th-8th on the ladder at the moment as some of those key forwards wouldn't have got a hold of us. He's also a leader and has some mongrel in him. If he was around when the North players were sniping behind play he probably would've lined a few of them up!

Should be our number 1 target in the off season. Make it happen Dees!

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Strong rumors that we were into Hurley big time and not too far off . enough for Timmy watson to have the irrates with Goodwin and the dees , May maybe Gaz got neeld to the club so I think it requires more thought. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Here's our record against key forwards in 2017

Round 1 v St Kilda: Nick Riewoldt (4 goals, 7 marks)

Round 2 v Carlton: Levi Casboult (1 goal, 8 marks, could've kicked 3-4)

Round 3 v Geelong: Tom Hawkins (5 goals, 5 marks)

Round 4 v Fremantle: Cam McCarthy (2 goals, including the match winner)

Round 5 v Richmond: Jack Riewoldt (6 goals, 3 marks)

Round 6 v Essendon: Joe Daniher (1.6 goals, 9 marks, could've kicked 6-7 goals instead)

Round 7 v Hawthorn: Jarryd Roughead (4 goals, 6 marks)

Round 8 v Adelaide: Taylor Walker (2 goals, 3 marks, well held)

Round 9 v North Melbourne: Ben Brown (5 goals, 6 marks)

We are getting destroyed by key forwards. Oscar isn't ready. Mac is being thrown around the ground to cover injuries and holes elsewhere. Frost is a decent rebounder, good when the ball hits the deck, but not the best defender in aerial marking contests. We need a strong key defender. It's our number 1 deficiency. I'd be offering up our first round pick for May and throwing in steak knives if required. He's a proven quality key defender, one of the best in the AFL at present. If he'd been in our team this year we'd likely be somewhere between 4th-8th on the ladder at the moment as some of those key forwards wouldn't have got a hold of us. He's also a leader and has some mongrel in him. If he was around when the North players were sniping behind play he probably would've lined a few of them up!

Should be our number 1 target in the off season. Make it happen Dees!

Speaking of forwards when was the last time one of ours kicked five or more? I know Hogan had a few big bags but that's a while ago now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, america de cali said:

Speaking of forwards when was the last time one of ours kicked five or more? I know Hogan had a few big bags but that's a while ago now.

We don't need to.  Our forward line is not the issue, we have a great spread of goal kickers. I'd rather Hogan kick 3 and we kick 16 as a side than him kicking 6 of 10.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wiseblood said:

We don't need to.  Our forward line is not the issue, we have a great spread of goal kickers. I'd rather Hogan kick 3 and we kick 16 as a side than him kicking 6 of 10.

Nothing like a good spread topped off by a fiver.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Speaking of forwards when was the last time one of ours kicked five or more? I know Hogan had a few big bags but that's a while ago now.

I'd like to see each of them have 5 tackles.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I'd like to see each of them have 5 tackles.

Asking for a lot there given the feisty forwards we have now. The request has been made adnauseum for a long time.

Edited by america de cali
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CityDee said:

Strong rumors that we were into Hurley big time and not too far off . enough for Timmy watson to have the irrates with Goodwin and the dees , May maybe Gaz got neeld to the club so I think it requires more thought. 

Didn't Hurley recommit to the Bombers last year? Pretty sure he's tied up 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

 Alex Rance wouldn't have done much on Brown yesterday with the way it was being walked in through the corridor.

If you watch the replay, you will see that Oscar's reaction time to some of Brown's leads were abysmal. Like, seriously abysmal. 

There is no doubting that it's easy to be completely caught out of position as a defender if there is a turnover up the field, but any defender with decent reaction time and some sort of pace would have at the very least been able to effect a spoil on a few of Brown's leads when the defender and forward were at arms reach of each other. Alex Rance would have done more because he's Alex Rance.

For everyone out there who constantly whines about individuals being labelled "whipping boys", there's a reason why you twits. Whilst Dazzle likes to go the extreme with name calling and expletives etc, I would rather just say that they're not at the required level. 

Someone name me one strong attribute that Oscar has to his game.  Anyone. I'll give you $10 if you can. 

Of course we didn't lose the game because of one or two key defenders yesterday, but again, I'd love posters to watch the replay of Oscars game and let me know how you think he is going. 

We are crying out for Steven May. Or any half-decent key defender that doesn't make more than two or three catastrophic errors a game. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes sense because it won't take a first rounder to get him. I'd prefer the next rance, but that would cost too much, or take too long to develop. Getting affordable solid defenders as the Hawks have done over the years with Gibson, Frawley and others is a good call as long as we're a destination club and we don't have to give up too much. We have a core of 12 or so guys who are very young that HAVE to be kept. I have a bad feeling we'll be shirting one of our best to get things going.

lol at people suggesting trading Kent. No value to other clubs. Watts has value, as does Tyson. I'd prefer to keep Tyson. Having a crappy year, but has won games for us off his own boot in the past. Watts is the interesting one. If you was floated, clubs would come from far and wide, and we could get some really juicy stuff for him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

If you watch the replay, you will see that Oscar's reaction time to some of Brown's leads were abysmal. Like, seriously abysmal. 

There is no doubting that it's easy to be completely caught out of position as a defender if there is a turnover up the field, but any defender with decent reaction time and some sort of pace would have at the very least been able to effect a spoil on a few of Brown's leads when the defender and forward were at arms reach of each other. Alex Rance would have done more because he's Alex Rance.

For everyone out there who constantly whines about individuals being labelled "whipping boys", there's a reason why you twits. Whilst Dazzle likes to go the extreme with name calling and expletives etc, I would rather just say that they're not at the required level. 

Someone name me one strong attribute that Oscar has to his game.  Anyone. I'll give you $10 if you can. 

Of course we didn't lose the game because of one or two key defenders yesterday, but again, I'd love posters to watch the replay of Oscars game and let me know how you think he is going. 

What do you suggest the Match Committee do this week if you think Oscar should be dropped?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dappa Dan said:

It makes sense because it won't take a first rounder to get him. I'd prefer the next rance, but that would cost too much, or take too long to develop. Getting affordable solid defenders as the Hawks have done over the years with Gibson, Frawley and others is a good call as long as we're a destination club and we don't have to give up too much. We have a core of 12 or so guys who are very young that HAVE to be kept. I have a bad feeling we'll be shirting one of our best to get things going.

lol at people suggesting trading Kent. No value to other clubs. Watts has value, as does Tyson. I'd prefer to keep Tyson. Having a crappy year, but has won games for us off his own boot in the past. Watts is the interesting one. If you was floated, clubs would come from far and wide, and we could get some really juicy stuff for him.

I thought Watts had been floated previously (even last year?) and there were no bites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard a few weeks back we are into May and Lever, cannot remember if it was on radio or an article somewhere like Fox. Remember it clearly though. A KPF, KPD would be handy. I don't think any of the McDonalds or Weideman are our answer to anything.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I thought Watts had been floated previously (even last year?) and there were no bites

I think there were bites, but none significant enough... and before it got interesting and late in the piece, Watts stayed out of nowhere. I remember thinking at the time it had something to do with the collective bargaining mess. Bit like Hogan.

I think given roles that players play, and flexibility, Watts could net a late first rounder, and that's not just a positive demons supporter carrying on. It would require him playing well the rest of the year. He's only had 2 bad games the last two weeks and has been great the rest of the year. He's very much a cream player. Put him in a side playing well and he'll really produce. My problem with him is he's just not tough, and can't mark without another 10 kilos. On the positive side he was awesome last year, has been super this year. The league is onto him now, and the media has watched him closely and seen his workrate get bigger. Has a huge engine now. And with his unbelievable kick and versatility, he'd be super attractive. Just look at what happened with Vickery.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If May leaves GCS they are going to want either a ridiculous draft hand (which I doubt given their inability to maintain players) or more likely an experienced player in the 23-25 age bracket.

I don't see how we get it done without losing something of value.

People talking about Watts will then very quickly complain about our lack of tall forwards. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB STEVEN MAY

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE EYE OF THE STORM by Whispering Jack

    When Melbourne monstered Richmond a few weeks back on the MCG thereby registering their sixth win on the trot, the block of games to follow looked highly appealing. After a stirring victory in difficult conditions over the reigning premier, the games to come were against a quartet of low achievers from 2020. North were winless, the Swans were the early high flyers now falling into a slump, Carlton couldn’t take a trick and the Crows had just lost an unloseable game to the Hawks in Launceston. Ev

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DUCKING A PLUCKING by George On The Outer

    With seven consecutive wins for 2021 behind it, and not having played well in its previous game,  Melbourne was ripe for the picking (or plucking) by the Sydney Swans. However, in the end, it was the Ducks who found themselves plucked by a Demons side that continues its relentless successful roll for the Season. Or did the Demons narrowly duck a plucking themselves? Sydney brought its usual game style to the M.C.G.  Get in front and then shut down the game, scrap and refuse to mov

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE MERRY, MERRY MONTH OF MAY by The Oracle

    The month of May was a little more than halfway into its second day when the news came. Melbourne was on top of the AFL table for the first time since Round 3, 2005. As usual with the Demons, there was no time for celebration. They had just lost tough nut Jack Viney with yet another soft spot in his foot, Adam Tomlinson’s year was in ruins with what was subsequently confirmed as an ACL and Bayley Fritsch’s careless but unintentional fend off on North’s Tom Powell was about to see him charge

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BLUNDSTONE BOOTED by George on the Outer

    The tough Aussie Blundstone boot is made for true blue collar workers, and so it was at this aptly named stadium in Hobart, that the Demons were made to work their hardest for their seventh consecutive win of the season. From the outset, North Melbourne put scoreboard pressure on Melbourne with two majors at an early stage in the first quarter. The Demons fought back and temporarily had the lead but the Kangaroos responded to lead by five points at quarter time. This was not what the public

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNTROUBLED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were untroubled for the third week in a row as they went on a four quarter romp at Marvel Stadium to record a 107 point win over an undermanned bottom-of-the-ladder North Melbourne VFL. The scoring riot began about ten minutes into the game when Sam Weideman notched the first of four goals that could easily have been six or seven but for some uncharacteristic misses from close in. The Demon forward, spurned so far by the club’s AFL selectors, demonstrated a strong work rate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    I’LL GIVE THEE A WIND by Whispering Jack

    The football world was reminded this week about the last time Melbourne opened a season with six wins or more in a row. That was in 1965 when Sir Robert Gordon Menzies was Prime Minister of Australia and the country was fighting a war in faraway Vietnam. It was before Jack Viney’s father, Todd, was born — a time when the game was played almost exclusively on Saturdays and when Demon fans used to wake up in the morning mostly safe in the knowledge that there was not even the remotest possibility

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAKING HISTORY by KC from Casey

    This was a weekend of history with Anzac Day commemorations throughout the community including the sporting world including the VFL. For the Casey Demons, which originated from the Springvale Football Club founded in 1903, it was a double celebration as Saturday’s game was a celebration of the club’s 750th VFA/VFL match since admission to the competition in 1982. Springvale became the Casey Scorpions in 2005 when the club moved to Casey Fields and since 2017 has been known as the Casey Demo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE TWO ELEPHANTS NOT IN THE ROOM by WJ

    After another slow start when they conceded 2.3.15 to nothing in a handball-happy opening 15 minutes, the unflappable Demons delivered a warning sign of major proportions to the rest of the competition with their 34-point win over the reigning premiers in their Anzac Eve contest. And what made things even more ominous is that they did it without two elephants in the room - key forwards Ben Brown and Sam Weideman who have been amassing goals at VFL level while coming back from injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A TALE OF TWO HEROES by Whispering Jack

    On Saturday night at the ANZAC Day Eve game between Melbourne and Richmond, we will give recognition to the achievements of two great Demons who made significant contributions to the Melbourne Football Club over substantially different time spans. The first is the late Frank V “Checker” Hughes who was born on 26 February 1894 and began his career as a Richmond player in 1915. Shortly after, Hughes was called on to serve his country when he went to war during WW1. He returned from battle and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    TURNING POINT by The Oracle

    It wasn’t that long ago when Melbourne held sway in its Anzac Eve matches against Richmond. The early versions of the blockbuster saw the Demons home by 32 points in 2015 and 33 in 2016. When the turning point came it was dramatic and sudden. The Demons might have been on an upward curve in 2017 under new coach Simon Goodwin but so were the Tigers who had finished a disappointing 13th in 2016. When the teams met in Round 5 under lights in front of a crowd of 85,657 — the highest ever betwee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STARTING OVER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons made a successful return to the playing field with a 51 point away from home victory over the Box Hill Hawks. The visitors were starting over after a hiatus of almost 20 months and fielded a strong team of 14 AFL listed players against an undermanned opponent. And they showed from the first bounce that they were out to make up for lost time with an aggressive opening that saw them off to 21 point lead at the first break with thanks to a dominant midfield and two key forward

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NUTCRACKER by George on the Outer

    Q: How to crack a tough nut? A: Use a bigger hammer! It took Melbourne until the last quarter to crack the Hawthorn nut. These days, the Hawks under Alastair Clarkson simply don’t have the talent that served them so well in years gone, and they have to rely on not losing rather than trying to win.   The result is that the match became a slog for three quarters, as Hawthorn clogged the game, flooded heavily and simply stopped the Melbourne run.  Even in the first quarter the signs

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...