Changes vs Crows

What

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

Tackling stats aren't the only measurement of applying defensive pressure. At times it's just as important to corral the opposition when they have the ball, to reduce the number of options they have. With JKH, he has the intent to apply pressure, but often the opposition will just run straight past him. 

Just bring Kent back in FFS, because scoreboard pressure is the best kind of pressue. Some coaches get caught up with their KPI's to the detriment of the team.

He's hardly a goal scoring machine...

I am one of his biggest critics but it looks like with his tackling stats he might step up this week.

I just hope he's turned the corner but I suspect he's going to be one of those frustrating footballers for his career and if that's the case I hope it's with another team.

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

Out: Expectations

In: A lot of hard work

37 minutes ago, rjay said:

He's hardly a goal scoring machine...

I am one of his biggest critics but it looks like with his tackling stats he might step up this week.

I just hope he's turned the corner but I suspect he's going to be one of those frustrating footballers for his career and if that's the case I hope it's with another team.

Compared to JKH he is, and that's who's taken Kent's place. Last year's return of 25 goals was pretty good for a medium/small forward. Played 2 games this year for 3.4, which makes him an offensive threat to the opposition. The same can't be said of JKH.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

Maldon we are already on track for a jolly good flogging. I would prefer you don't also add more salt to the wounds pre match and pull our pants down prior to the first bounce in full ready position.  You may wish to allow yourself the courtesy of another 24 hours break before reviewing that line of deduction pls. I'm sure your clarity will improve even further if you do and you will finally see a bit of light....and hopefully it's not a nasty MFC train!

I take your point. But we need people who can compete in the air because the Crows are dynamic in the air. If we go in short they will simply bomb it up all over the ground and we will never get the ball. I acknowledge that Weid is a year away from the body size and intensity required but I put his name up because we have no other tall marking options with so many of our talls injured. 

7 hours ago, P-man said:

If North hadn't humbled them I'd give us a real shot. The Crows will now be breathing fire.

<sarcasm>So for once we are unlucky and face a team at the worst possible time...</sarcasm>

I'm reluctant to have Kent in when he seemingly refuses to pull his finger out at VFL level but we badly need some added run.

Out: JKH, Bugg, Wagner

in: Kent, ANB, Stretch

Hannan gets one more week. Looked out of place on the weekend but can't really fault his effort. 

Harmes runs just as hard as Kent, if not more so and he tackles.

I reckon Wagner will get a three week stretch like most of the other guys have to cement his spot. That said, he was horrendous on Sunday.

1 hour ago, binman said:

Agree. All about tackle count. Remeber he had one or two in three weeks at senior level.  8 in rhe vfl will get him back in. At the exspense of jkh i suspect. I think hannan stays because of his intensity

Agree it's all about the tackle count. He had a total of two tackles for two games before being dropped for the Richmond game. If he was a better kick we would have gone close to winning the Geelong game (he kicked 2.3 that day).

Edited by A F
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Compared to JKH he is, and that's who's taken Kent's place. Last year's return of 25 goals was pretty good for a medium/small forward. Played 2 games this year for 3.4, which makes him an offensive threat to the opposition. The same can't be said of JKH.

He's not an offensive threat to the opposition if he doesn't tackle...

It sounds like he finally tackled on the weekend. Is that enough to get him straight back in or will the FD demand he do it two weeks in a row at the bottom level?

JKH and Bugg, as well as Oscar McDonald and Hannan are all at risk of being dropped this week IMO.

JKH hasn’t had enough impact in three games. I haven’t stamped his cards as some on Demonland have done, but he needs to go back the VFL and earn another chance. Nev Jetta was in a similar situation and has gone on to play 100 games.

Bugg is way too left sided for an outside midfield role IMO and he lacks confidence to kick the ball at AFL level. And I cannot understand why he didn’t take the shot at goal in the third quarter when he was on his left foot. For mine, he needs to play in defence to have any chance at AFL level.

I like Hannan’s pace and potential, but he needs to do more.

Oscar McDonald did some nice things, but needed to contest harder in the air at times. With the Tom McDonald experiment in the ruck not being successful, I think our team balance would be better with another runner.

Kent, Stretch, Harmes and ANB are the players most likely to come in. I would probably look to make all four changes, with the Hannan omission being the toughest call. (He would stay in if Harmes is not fit.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Oscar McDonald did some nice things, but needed to contest harder in the air at times. With the Tom McDonald experiment in the ruck not being successful, I think our team balance would be better with another runner.

Even if Lynch doesn't play, Adelaide has Walker, Jenkins and may use Otten up forward. I think OMac will have to stay. 

Having said that, he definitely needs to work on his aerial contests. IMO he's as bad a culprit of our current problems of having too many go up and no one stay down, and his problem is he regularly fails to impact the contest.

• Like 3

JKH and Bugg out. Hannan on the thin ice again but stays for now.

I'd say Kent and Ben Kennedy deserve a crack at it.

Playing forward in the VFL is rough at times and makes it hard for clean possession. Both of these guys at least deserve a chance to show what they've got - JKH got his.

ANB and Stretch both should be in the team but didn't make the most of chances or drifted out of games for too long. Give them some weeks to work into some form.

Harmes and Brayshaw to hopefully push for selection this week too. Be nice to have an inform Harmes, Melksham, ANB, Stretch, Bugg and Brayshaw really putting selection pressure on our bottom 4.

• Like 1

I think Hannan played a decent game. Was one of very few players in the forward half that put genuine pressure on a very experienced Hawthorn backline. He also created quite a few scoring opportunities. 

You would think JKH has to go back and get some work done down at Casey.

Stretch is a definite in for me. We miss his spread and good decision making on the wings.

• Like 4

Just now, mongrel said:

I think Hannan played a decent game. Was one of very few players in the forward half that put genuine pressure on a very experienced Hawthorn backline. He also created quite a few scoring opportunities. 

You would think JKH has to go back and get some work done down at Casey.

Stretch is a definite in for me. We miss his spread and good decision making on the wings.

Id agree that Hannan seemed far from the worst afield.  Was actually trying to impact. Didnt much but he tried

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Even if Lynch doesn't play, Adelaide has Walker, Jenkins and may use Otten up forward. I think OMac will have to stay. 

Having said that, he definitely needs to work on his aerial contests. IMO he's as bad a culprit of our current problems of having too many go up and no one stay down, and his problem is he regularly fails to impact the contest.

TMac, Frost, Wagner and Hibberd is enough height in the back half IMO and we need to get some extra kicking skill there. The reason OMac was brought back was so TMac could do some rucking, but I think that plan was shelved at half time against Hawthorn.

17 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

TMac, Frost, Wagner and Hibberd is enough height in the back half IMO and we need to get some extra kicking skill there. The reason OMac was brought back was so TMac could do some rucking, but I think that plan was shelved at half time against Hawthorn.

Hibberd is six foot nothing. He's not a KPD. Wagner is 6'2" and not a KPD - and looked all at sea on Sunday
Some won't see it but OMac was decent on the weekend. Used the ball well. A poor tackle on Breust resulted in a (missed) shot at goal and yes, he took an airswing in an attempt to spoil
Frost is being lauded for his game yet Roughead schooled him on at least 3 occasions resulting in Hawthorn scores. Add to that the uncontested mark that went clean through his hands and gifted Gunston a goal. Maybe that's why all defenders flew for spoils ! Trust issues.
OMac stays in for mine.

Omac . Isn't as strong contesting nor as assured in marking as his brother.s Isbetter kick than brother. 

If could morph together would have a very good defender. We cant so we have two who bring elements and neither the whole.

Wagner wasnt at AFL pace on Sun

Given replacement options he also gets to live another day. Not near best form.

Frost impressed. Far from perfect but did well on a clever ol bugger.

Hibberd is settling in ok. Cant do all the thinking on his own can he. At least he thinks ( like a decent defender )

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

Omac . Isn't as strong contesting nor as assured in marking as his brother.s Isbetter kick than brother. 

If could morph together would have a very good defender. We cant so we have two who bring elements and neither the whole.

Wagner wasnt at AFL pace on Sun

Given replacement options he also gets to live another day. Not near best form.

Frost impressed. Far from perfect but did well on a clever ol bugger.

Hibberd is settling in ok. Cant do all the thinking on his own can he. At least he thinks ( like a decent defender )

Wagner played one game at Casey after a serious injury. I could not believe he was selected way too early IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

I'm not sure Wagner or Hibberd are tall enough (or good enough in a KPD role) to take someone like Lynch or Otten.

I'd also prefer Hibberd to be used in a more attacking role.

I think you're right about why OMac was brought back last week but I think, given our opponent, he stays. Does at least add some flexibility should we need to go back to using TMac in the ruck.

6 hours ago, A F said:

He's not an offensive threat to the opposition if he doesn't tackle...

It sounds like he finally tackled on the weekend. Is that enough to get him straight back in or will the FD demand he do it two weeks in a row at the bottom level?

That's a bit harsh AF. I think demanding changes on an internet forum is closer to the bottom level than the VFL.

• Like 1

FB: Oscar   Frost  Jetta
HB: Hibberd  Tom Mc  Hunt
C:  Stretch   Jones   Hannan
HF: Kent   Hogan   Lewis
FF: Petracca  Watts  Garlett
Foll: Pedersen  Oliver  Viney
Int: Vince   Salem  Tyson   Harmes

Out:  Wagner (Oscar prefered due to the match up on Andy Otten, don't need 8 defenders if T Mc won't ruck)  In: Harmes (fwd)
Out: JKH  In: Kent
Out: Bugg   In: Stretch

Let's give Hannan a go on the wing and get some speed around the ball. His disposal has been iffy but he's quick and takes it on. Use midfielders as the high half forwards around the ball to hopefully control the stoppages. Harmes in for tackle pressure forward and tag a Laird or Smith. Kent in for speed.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 1