THE DROUGHT IS OVER by George on the Outer - POST MATCH DISCUSSION

Demonland

2 hours ago, chook fowler said:

I think Goodwin proved what a good match day coach he is. He was almost BOG.

Goodwin did well.

It's hard to judge on one game but the addition of Lewis to our on-field leadership is outstanding. With Jones, Vince and Gawn they kept everyone calm and led by example, We haven't had leadership like that on-field for a long time. The players really look up to Lewis, He has been there done that and it seems our young guns have a competitive hunger to learn everything they can.

Exciting times.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, fndee said:

Does anyone know if three father-sons in one team is a record?

Not sure how many played in the one team, but Geelong had a Blake, Callan, Ablett x 2, and Scarlett on their list at the same time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

So we win 1 just 1 game and all is hunky dory??

Sorry George but your easily pleased views do not equate to sustained success of our footy club!

Ok 1 Game lets see what else this teams got!

Im not that easily pleased! Nor after 54 odd years in the wilderness should I be!

I'll see ya and raise you treble!!

Why do you think anyone else is invested in your emotions ?

You can please yourself, but don't ask anyone else "should I be".  That's your choice.

5 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Not even close. The Doggies had 5 or 6  in the grand final alone.

Edit - maybe 4..  Liberatore, Wallis, Cordy, Hunter

What a great pic.

Wallis didn't play in the GF, injured. No doubt they have probably all played in the same team at some stage, however. 3 would certainly be a record for the Dees I reckon!?

13 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

What a great pic.

Wallis didn't play in the GF, injured. No doubt they have probably all played in the same team at some stage, however. 3 would certainly be a record for the Dees I reckon!?

Yeah true, for some reason I was thinking Josh Dunkley was  a father son selection..  got my wires crossed as their opponent was Sydney who passed on him as  a father son.

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Sorry George but your easily pleased views do not equate to sustained success of our footy club!

Im not that easily pleased! Nor after 54 odd years in the wilderness should I be!

Enjoy the moment Picket, life may be over tomorrow.

Concern about what may happen only diminishes the joy of winning. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Yeah true, for some reason I was thinking Josh Dunkley was  a father son selection..  got my wires crossed as their opponent was Sydney who passed on him as  a father son.

And also Liam Picken was a father-son but at different clubs.

• Like 1

Just now, mo64 said:

And also Liam Picken was a father-son but at different clubs.

Thats the other one I though of too.  The Swans had a few father sons in the granny too didnt they?  

Watching it for 3rd time, without child or wife in the vicinity... Besides the possession that lead to his shoulder injury, Smith he will be a loss. He looked really good for a first gamer. 

Edited by Cards13
Missed Smith
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

you're just p155ed, picket, because you didn't go to the game over some pathetic excuse. well, you missed a treat. your loss, pal

• Like 1

Watts played very differently against Aints, could only have been to instruction. He usually doesn't fly for marks against Hogan & Weid, but he did a few times on Sat. He got his hands on the ball that Garlett roved for his third goal. He also got hands on the ball that spilled for Hannan's brilliant second. He usually stays down for a pack marks and often picks up the crumbs and dishes off, but it seems he was instructed to "play tall" and leave the crumbing to the small forwards and try to either mark it or bring it to the ground to our advantage. Ultimately this will work well for Watts.

He & Hogan, when they play forward, often lead right up the ground for the kick out of defence. Neither of them did this at all on Sat. This could have been because Goody wanted the defenders & mids to run or kick the ball out of defence, and for the forwards to not move too far up the field, so that they're in position for the next kick. This seems obvious now, but it's not something we've done for years. It worked really well for Hogan, because the ball was moved so quickly they had no time to double- or triple-team him, so he could take advantage and grab some great one-on-one contested marks close to goal.

Watts also seemed determined to take the responsibility to kick the goal when he got the chance within range, rather than trying to give it off. 

I reckon that it will be far better for Watts to play like this, and far batter in terms of retaining our overall structures and team play - forwards getting the ball closer to goal and then holding it in, and quicker movement out of defence through the middle. 

And I wouldn't be surprised if this was his "intensity" problem in preseason - he wasn't adjusting to this changed role and kept slipping back into his old way of playing. Probably why we never really got an adequate explanation either - they didn't want to talk about it too much. And explains Goody's post-match comment about being "really happy the way he flew for the ball", which struck me as a bit odd too.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Akum said:

Watts played very differently against Aints, could only have been to instruction. He usually doesn't fly for marks against Hogan & Weid, but he did a few times on Sat. He got his hands on the ball that Garlett roved for his third goal. He also got hands on the ball that spilled for Hannan's brilliant second. He usually stays down for a pack marks and often picks up the crumbs and dishes off, but it seems he was instructed to "play tall" and leave the crumbing to the small forwards and try to either mark it or bring it to the ground to our advantage. Ultimately this will work well for Watts.

He & Hogan, when they play forward, often lead right up the ground for the kick out of defence. Neither of them did this at all on Sat. This could have been because Goody wanted the defenders & mids to run or kick the ball out of defence, and for the forwards to not move too far up the field, so that they're in position for the next kick. This seems obvious now, but it's not something we've done for years. It worked really well for Hogan, because the ball was moved so quickly they had no time to double- or triple-team him, so he could take advantage and grab some great one-on-one contested marks close to goal.

Watts also seemed determined to take the responsibility to kick the goal when he got the chance within range, rather than trying to give it off. 

I reckon that it will be far better for Watts to play like this, and far batter in terms of retaining our overall structures and team play - forwards getting the ball closer to goal and then holding it in, and quicker movement out of defence through the middle. 

And I wouldn't be surprised if this was his "intensity" problem in preseason - he wasn't adjusting to this changed role and kept slipping back into his old way of playing. Probably why we never really got an adequate explanation either - they didn't want to talk about it too much. And explains Goody's post-match comment about being "really happy the way he flew for the ball", which struck me as a bit odd too.

Goodwin played under Blight and from what I understand, when Blight coached, if Abblett got the ball there were no team rules. He didn't need to centre it or look for a better option. Just make goals happen.

Daniher had a brand of this with Farmer. Get it near Farmer and let him do what he wanted, to create a goal.

Oliver sees ball gets ball there are no rules for him chasing the footy. Just get it and make stuff happen.

Let's play to our players strengths. We need structures and team rules but the best attacking coaches are the most flexible. If Watts gets the footy near the goals have a shot. If Jayden Hunt gets it run for your life. IF the opposition is playing a press and Jeffy Garlett is lurking, bomb it long, he will out run them.

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

This [censored].

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akum said:

Great post, mate.

If Watts can play as a genuine KP tall and use his natural smarts on the ground as well, it makes the combination of Hogan/Weideman/Watts extremely potent. And what's even more exciting about those three is they're all beautiful kicks.

Forget what we saw towards the back half of last season. Hogan's kicking is back on and he'll kick more than he misses this season. Weideman is also a beautiful set shot and Watts is probably our best kick for goal. 

Combine those three talls with the x-factor, creativity and power of Petracca, the speed, skill and goal smarts of Garlett and Hannan, and we have a seriously potent starting forward line. It frees Kent to play anywhere from half forward, to the wing, to half back if need be. More speed and power for our side, which will only help. I have no idea who he replaces though. A good problem to have!

Couple this with our emerging midfield and we'll be starting to go places soon enough.

I do, however, think we should look at recruiting another zippy small forward (think Garlett) at the end of 2017, because if two of Garlett, Hannan or Kent go down, we don't quite have the depth there IMO.

And of course if ANB doesn't panic in tight, he may well carve out another option, along with Vandenberg and Bugg. Though, these three players have less leg speed than is ideal. 

Edited by A F

2 hours ago, A F said:

I do, however, think we should look at recruiting another zippy small forward (think Garlett) at the end of 2017, because if two of Garlett, Hannan or Kent go down, we don't quite have the depth there IMO.

You don't think Johnstone will come on?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

It looked like we didn't allow them to have a spare man in defence after quarter time.

I think we allowed it we just bypassed it by lowering the eyes and hitting up players through half forward, 1st quarter we were just bombing it in, still early days but looks like Goodwin knows what he is doing on match day 

8 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

Goodwin played under Blight and from what I understand, when Blight coached, if Abblett got the ball there were no team rules. He didn't need to centre it or look for a better option. Just make goals happen.

Daniher had a brand of this with Farmer. Get it near Farmer and let him do what he wanted, to create a goal.

Oliver sees ball gets ball there are no rules for him chasing the footy. Just get it and make stuff happen.

Let's play to our players strengths. We need structures and team rules but the best attacking coaches are the most flexible. If Watts gets the footy near the goals have a shot. If Jayden Hunt gets it run for your life. IF the opposition is playing a press and Jeffy Garlett is lurking, bomb it long, he will out run them.

I love watching this, the confidence of knowing he is a 90% chance in a drag race

Got a call from a D supporter and he said that the Saints on BigFooty are blaming the loss on

1 The Umpires

2 That the Saints went to sleep

3 If Weller had kicked the goal, they would have won

4 The fact that we have so many first round picks, they even included Lewis in that (Roo, McCartin,Billings and I'm sure they have some more.)

5 if Roo hadn't gone down they still would have beaten us.