POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 21

Demonland

A good win.

I was a nervous wreck, but really the result was beyond doubt in the first quarter.

We came out, we dominated, we held strong when they were coming back at us, and we persevered despite absolutely rubbish goal kicking. 

Best part about this win is that we did it with a lot of players down on usual output. Viney, Jones, Stretch, Hogan, Vanders and Pedo all down on output. That we managed to get it together and smash them in the clearances and inside 50s in the last, is a real credit to our work rate.

I also thought this was our best defensive performance for the year. The backline killed it. Oscar was excellent, so was Frost. Tom back to his brilliant self, and Jetta just being Jetta. If Hunty doesn't get the rising star nomination this week, I'm burning AFL house down!

Btw, if anyone follows Tom McDonald on Instagram, have a look at the story he just posted- Bernie and I'm not sure who else, topless on a table, drinks being poured on them, singing Sweet Caroline surrounded by other players. Not sure what that's all about, but definite BOG performance by Vince.

• Like 10

Our young midfield who should be about fragged by this stage, seem to be just getting going. Brayshaw, Oliver and Stretch are now a genuinely capable second string to Viney, Jones and Tyson. 

Lots of credit to the box for the resting policy, you'd think. Our young players are coming home with a rush.

• Like 10

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

The backline won the game for me, in that first half they totally shut Port down and individually they all played very well.

I reckon our easy leaking of goals 'out the back' seemed to stop the moment Frost started playing back for us (against Hawthorn in the wet). I'm not saying he deserves all the credit, but his form back there has made a huge difference. 

• Like 9

Just now, Sylvia Saint said:

I reckon our easy leaking of goals 'out the back' seemed to stop the moment Frost started playing back for us (against Hawthorn in the wet). I'm not saying he deserves all the credit, but his form back there has made a huge difference. 

They changed the zone structure a bit. I can remember the boundary rider talking in one of the games about how it was usually TMac as last man in defence and how the a coach on the bench spent a lot of the day barking directions on where to position himself

Very happy to come away with the 7 goal win, despite thoroughly dominating the scoring shots. That may become costly if we win the next two games, but a lot of water to pass under that bridge. Three wins in a row is great, particularly when you've had to win at Adelaide Oval to make it three on the trot.

Meanwhile, Gawn was massive around the ground and a lot of his around the ground stoppage work was terrific. Given the umpire couldn't bounce it higher than a metre, it made life tough for Max in the centre square. 

Brayshaw, Clarry and Petracca showing their class for much of the first half. While Tyson had another brilliant game and I'd have him second best on ground behind Maxy. Another great game.

But what was so pleasing about this game was the younger players were the guys dragging us across the line. Omac, Tmac, Frost and Hunt were all really solid defensively.

Vince's leg appears to be better, given his goal from 55m. However, he continues to butcher the ball under little pressure, as does Jones. 

Fortunately, we got the job done in the first half to put enough distance between us and them. But the final quarter was an impressive finish. We'll win those games by 10-15 goals next year. Looking forward to it.

Edited by AdamFphlebeb
  • Like 2

Wow,  ten wins with three on the trot .  Remember the despair at quarter time Round Three against Norf in Tassie ?  Seven goals to zip down with the Essendon debacle fresh in our memories .  Mind you , that third quarter tonight was torture with so many missed sitters .

• Like 4

Good win by the boys and it gives me confidence we can bear Carlton and Geelong, we have more depth than Carlton and are harder at it than Geelong.  All we need is for North to cooperate and lose their next two.

We had a couple down tonight and still won easily, Vanders needs to hang on to his marks, he dropped a few easy ones tonight and Jack V needs to stop trying to outdo Ollie and just play his normal game. 

They are a spiteful bunch and to get Max upset takes a lot but they did it, I said to a mate at half time he has to stop letting them get under his skin. The run we get from the backline is as good as any club and a bit more poise with the delivery in to the forward line will make us awsome. Hoges will get better but we need him to lead a bit more rather than have him coming from behind and trying to jump over the pack. 

And during the off season, will someone teach him how to kick for goal. 

Edited by Dante
  • Like 1

Wowsers! just got back from an 8-course romantic dinner- held firm not checking the scores (I knew the first q score), and wow 40 points! 

Seems we fell away in the 3rd but whatever, great result!! 

And I tipped us! Yessssss!!!?

This from the Age will have a few choking on their drinks:

"Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver Jayden Hunt and Angus Brayshaw also had their quality moments, backed up by a resilient defence led by Oscar McDonald."

• Like 9

1 minute ago, bing181 said:

This from the Age will have a few choking on their drinks:

"Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver Jayden Hunt and Angus Brayshaw also had their quality moments, backed up by a resilient defence led by Oscar McDonald."

Was never wise to write off a 19 year old KPD in just his second season with less than 20 games under his belt.  Kid will be a player and a half.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nasher said:

The comedown from last week finally hit in the third, and it bloody hurt.

However, we won by 40 points, basically in third gear, where several of our best players were well off the pace. A lot of great signs, in the first half we picked it up where we left off.

Not as thrilling as last week, but I'm content with it.

Exactly.

We've talked for so long about taking that next step. When will the tide turn? I'd argue it turned in Round 18. Momentum is building. We really needed that watershed game and got it last week. This week we needed to back up the Hawthorn win and that was our next challenge. Backing up an unexpected win. And tonight we passed that challenge.

Also pleasingly, we have our 10 wins now. I predicted 10-12. Let's hope we get our 11th win next week.

2016 has been massive and we're really starting to shed some unwanted monickers. If someone like Fyfe is interested in St Kilda and Hurley is interested in the Bulldogs, surely we're a chance to become a destination club too. And it's been a long time.

Edited by AdamFphlebeb

Brownlow night will be worth watching for Demon supporters for the first time in a long time. We already have 10 wins and a few close losses and should have a few players poll very well.  Another great game from Max tonight, I am backing him for a top 3 place in the medal.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

What happened to Tesseract? I thought he could post some dessert ideas to go with the mains he was suggesting in the game day thread.

Benched midway through the 2nd quarter after an emergency meeting of the Demonland tribunal.  

There's always a lot of crap posted in the game day thread but that was just plain annoying. 

• Like 6

Great win, not a great game though. I think we could've capitalised a bit better at times to not let Port back into it but I really trust us, particularly our defence more than ever. Jetta had a hand in everything, Dixon was completely destroyed. We've eliminated our shocking turnovers we've seen most of the season. Our talent level and resilience is really showing. Some great marking especially given the wetness. Tyson continued his great form, Vince was back where he should be and Brayshaw made a big impact. Not a lot to complain about except maybe Hogan.

Gotta focus on Carlton first but playing for a finals spot would be a dream, of course before hoping for the North result on the same night