Changes vs. Gold Coast

Wiseblood

5 hours ago, leucopogon said:

Geelong game last year says hi,

Edit: sorry forgot got to quote the poster that said Spencer doesn't kick goals

Spencer hurt his knee today and was off from quarter time.

Pedo wasn't great.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leucopogon said:

Geelong game last year says hi,

Edit: sorry forgot got to quote the poster that said Spencer doesn't kick goals

So the fact he kicked a couple of goals in one game over his 7 year career, makes him a goal kicker.  Plugger better look out his record is under threat 

Edited by Demons11

Don't know that Oliver will play again this year, he doesn't have the fitness for AFL yet, and his game is still too one-dimensional. It's a very fine dimension of course, but has been mentioned a couple of times that they're trying to develop him both defensively and outside.

No change unless there's an injury, if so, like for like.

• Like 1

Parish was always going to run out the year better. He's been in the system for years being prepared to be a top 3 or 4 pick.

Oliver came out of nowhere and simply didn't have the years of guided preparation that Parish had.

I think the club's being responsible with him after they ran Brayshaw into a hole last year. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love Oliver in the team though, we desperately miss the player he can be.

• Like 6

No change baring injury.

White on standby for Jetta, Dunn on standby for Oscar and i'd have Michie as an emergency also. Thought he was very good today.

• Like 2

It sounds like Oliver is struggling to see out the season in terms of fitness so I doubt we will see him again this year, unless there is injury.

Brayshaw needs to stay in for the remainder of this year to give his body some confidence. Will be a gun next year.

The players and coaching staff will be gunning for more wins, wanting to see the year out stronger than the past two years, so I can't see a glut of young talent being tried. 

Pedo in, OMac out,  no other change. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

It sounds like Oliver is struggling to see out the season in terms of fitness so I doubt we will see him again this year, unless there is injury.

Brayshaw needs to stay in for the remainder of this year to give his body some confidence. Will be a gun next year.

The players and coaching staff will be gunning for more wins, wanting to see the year out stronger than the past two years, so I can't see a glut of young talent being tried. 

Pedo in, OMac out,  no other change. 

Pedersen they say was ordinary at Casey today so would think no change unless There are injuries.

The ones I like at Casey are out of favour with the FD and the rest  are no better than the ones who played yesterday.

Garland (shudder) for Oscar. 

Based on Oscar struggling with injury and some of his really poor moments, mainly failing to chase down the Kennedy goal. That's inexcusable lack of attention to detail.

I don't expect Garland to star but if he's done what the coaches asked at Casey then it's worth bringing him in and letting Oscar learn the lessons back at Casey.

• Like 1

Out - O. McDonald, J Harmes
In L. Hulett, B Kennedy

Also could bring in Bugg, or Oliver.

The season is now officially mathamatically over so now is the time to blood some new talent each week.

Would like to see Hulett come in for Oscar McDonald, the bloke has a ready made AFL players body, and seems to have the ability to kick a goal too.
Wouldn't mind seeing Dawes get dropped for Weidman too but don't think we should bring in too many newbies against a side we should beat...Can't handle another embarassment for the season.

11 minutes ago, The Sailing Demon said:

In L. Hulett, B Kennedy

Also could bring in Bugg, or Oliver.

The season is now officially mathamatically over so now is the time to blood some new talent each week.

Would like to see Hulett come in for Oscar McDonald, the bloke has a ready made AFL players body, and seems to have the ability to kick a goal too.
Wouldn't mind seeing Dawes get dropped for Weidman too but don't think we should bring in too many newbies against a side we should beat...Can't handle another embarassment for the season.

I'd like to see Hulett play, but I'm not sure about throwing him in to take Oscar's spot down back after never playing there at Casey.

So I'd really like to see him line up down back at Casey next week and show he can do it first.

I'm not big on the need for blooding new talent either. The team is full of young kids - Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver, Stretch, ANB, Hunt etc. Oliver's had a good run and might come back in for a few games at the end of the season. Salem should get back in as well if he's healthy.

The young talls and Joel Smith are the only players who are yet to debut on our list, and JKH and Terlich the only others who haven't had a game. 

I expect we might see more of the likes of Dawes, Newton, JKH, Trengove, Grimes, Michie as out of contract players needing to show their worth than throwing in more kids.

3 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Why?

Look. I think they will both be great players. But Parish does not seem to have trouble accumulating high numbers every week, while Oliver does. Parish has the quickness that Oliver does not have. Parish has the kicking ability that Oliver does not have. Oliver has traits that Parish doesn't have, but those traits are already embedded in players like Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Jones

I would love to be wrong of course.

8 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

Look. I think they will both be great players. But Parish does not seem to have trouble accumulating high numbers every week, while Oliver does. Parish has the quickness that Oliver does not have. Parish has the kicking ability that Oliver does not have. Oliver has traits that Parish doesn't have, but those traits are already embedded in players like Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Jones

Because of obvious reasons, Parish was always going to be given plenty of games and opportunities this year. Therefore, it makes sense that he's picking up the pace of the game quicker than Oliver. Oliver also needs a couple of pre-seasons to build a proper AFL standard tank. But once he does, strap yourself in, because although it could be argued that Parish is a more AFL ready player, Oliver has a much higher ceiling and may well prove be even better than the Viney's and Petracca's of the team.

Also, the average disposal numbers between the two aren't drastically different. While Parish does accumulate more possessions (average of 20.5) it's only around two more than Oliver (average of 18.1). 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Sailing Demon said:

In L. Hulett, B Kennedy

Hulett looks to have some tricks too, along with an AFL ready body.  Get him in for Dawes.   

11 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Spencer does not kick goals 

neither does Watts while he's rucking.

time to leave Watts forward and rotate the two rucks with Gawn moving forward at times.

Oliver could come in too if someone doesn't recover.

12 hours ago, DemonLad5 said:

Dawes was better than Hogan

And isn't that an indictment on Jesse's pathetic game? Because Dawes was his ordinary usual self, except this week he did manage to hit the scoreboard this week.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DemonLad5 said:

Not true...Oliver is a great kick, just doesn't kick enough for mine.

He would be in my team any day of the week, I would have him learning his craft in the AFL. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SaberFang said:

Parish was always going to run out the year better. He's been in the system for years being prepared to be a top 3 or 4 pick.

Oliver came out of nowhere and simply didn't have the years of guided preparation that Parish had.

I think the club's being responsible with him after they ran Brayshaw into a hole last year. Doesn't mean I wouldn't love Oliver in the team though, we desperately miss the player he can be.

Parish also has a lot less competition for a spot over at Flogadonis Central.

I am an Oscar fan, but Roos said he'll get a rest at some point before the end of the season. Given he's been injured twice in three games, I reckon that rest will be this week. 

It sounds like Kennedy had a ripper so he might come in as well. 

Massive changes not required given it was a good performance and there's an eight day break.

9 minutes ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Parish also has a lot less competition for a spot over at Flogadonis Central.

He still has to get the footy - and he does. Good player

I'm happy with Clarrie & what he's done this year but would like to see him work on other parts of his game. Love to see him played on a wing or off half back in the VFL - just for his education. Next year he'll be a contested ball beast again but it wouldn't hurt if, with extra fitness, he could run to position to receive as well.

Any chance Pedo comes in for Dawes? I know he had an average game for Casey today, but it's not like Dawes got a recall on the back of any form!

I legit can't handle Dawes. Pedo can also ruck and leave Watts more time up forward. Something which may help given Hogan is in ordinary form. 

6 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Any chance Pedo comes in for Dawes? I know he had an average game for Casey today, but it's not like Dawes got a recall on the back of any form!

I legit can't handle Dawes. Pedo can also ruck and leave Watts more time up forward. Something which may help given Hogan is in ordinary form. 

Pedo's game wasn't as bad as some have made out. His role changed after Spencer got injured. He & Keilty had to share ruck duties against Sandy's 3 ruckmen. I thought they battled manfully. That said, I don't see him replacing Dawes next week

The 2 main reasons for Hogan's 'poor form' which is really just 2 quiet games are:

1.  A long season catching up with him 

Therefore I can't see how replacing Dawes - who for all his faults does work pretty hard - for Pedersen or a kid in Hulett helps things.

2. Being stuck deep in a role that isn't his natural game

This is where replacing Dawes with the better marking Pedda might help, but if Hogan is tiring then asking him to keep carrying the load at CHF isn't wise. Especially if we lose forward pressure with Pedersen or Hulett over Dawes.

I'd stick with Dawes for another week and just get the balance between who plays deeper better. If it becomes a lot of slow ball movement in to a crowded 50 then Dawes can be deep for the long contests and Hogan can have a run around.

I also think we're marking him harshly for failing to take a bunch of grabs or lead where there was no space against the Eagles. The problem with clobbering them so well in the midfield was they always had numbers back, and on a wet day we didn't want to overuse the ball more than we already were. All the attacking we were doing made the counter attacking game we play well redundant. Unfortunately we aren't good at getting the ball in long and quickly in traffic to a forwards advantage. So many long bombs went to the wrong side of the contest. McGovern and McKenzie are very good aerial defenders as well.

I also are not sure what is achieved by replacing Dawes with Pederson. If Pedo gets a run, it should be for OMac on the backline as, it is the GC Forwardline (and its three towers) that we we should be focussed on countering. TMac and Frost need a third tall down there to help them. Our Forwardline will be okay as it is unlikely that Watts and Hogan will go goalless for two weeks in a row.