Around The Grounds - Round 18

mrtwister

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Cheers for looking that up.

That's why the Saints don't scare me, nor do I believe they are 'further ahead' than us.  You need to be able to play outside footy to win the big one and progress, and they've looked TERRIBLE outside of Etihad.  Two of those games played outside saw them smashed by 100 and 88 points.

Yeah but mate if you want to compare us to the Saints at Etihad, we can't rely on winning at the MCG because we sell 2 games a year to the NT and struggle to win even them. Our record at basically every other ground is deplorable, probably 2 wins or less across the last 6 or 7 years.

The stranglehold the Saints and Bulldogs have on Etihad baffles me but it's hard to deny the correlation.

Just now, SaberFang said:

Yeah but mate if you want to compare us to the Saints at Etihad, we can't rely on winning at the MCG because we sell 2 games a year to the NT and struggle to win even them. Our record at basically every other ground is deplorable, probably 2 wins or less across the last 6 or 7 years.

The stranglehold the Saints and Bulldogs have on Etihad baffles me but it's hard to deny the correlation.

The Saints are a middle of the road side - put them in a potential final interstate or at the MCG and they will get smashed.  Too much Etihad is not good for your health.  I'd like to believe that we can do better than them, and we've won in QLD, gone extremely close in WA and been beaten by a bigger Swans side in torrential rain.  We can win at more venues (as we get more experience) and that will hold us in far better stead than the Saints.

33 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Would love to know how many games the Saints have won outside of Etihad.  Wouldn't be many.  Played well but very lucky with the Dogs having so many injuries.  Still a middle of the road side like us.

Again you have shown your lack of football knowledge! " Middle of the road" ?? Excuse me how many times have they "Towelled us up" Oh and I forgot The Doggies did a fair number on us a few Months ago! But why do I waste my time replying to you because you have got me on "Ignore" 

Lightweight!

Edited by picket fence

2 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Again you have shown your lack of football knowledge! " Middle of the road" ?? Excuse me how many times have they "Towelled us up" Oh and I forgot The Doggies did a fair number on us a few Months ago! But why do I waste my time replying to you because you have got me on "Ignore" 

Lightweight!

They're currently 9th out of 18 teams. Can't get much more middle of the road then that????  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

That's why the Saints don't scare me, nor do I believe they are 'further ahead' than us.  You need to be able to play outside footy to win the big one and progress, and they've looked TERRIBLE outside of Etihad.  Two of those games played outside saw them smashed by 100 and 88 points.

Yep, the Saints lost to the Eagles by 105pts earlier this year and we came within an inch of knocking them off. Unfortunately we'll have to wait til next year (and hopefully at the MCG) to vindicate our progression ahead of the saints.

2 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

They're currently 9th out of 18 teams. Can't get much more middle of the road then that????  

Beaten us twice makes us below "Middle of the Rd" maybe at a roundabout?

I hate St Kilda. Credit to them for winning. They're winning, we're not. It hurts. I still hate them.

Context though. They are a different side away from Etihad. They have had next to no injuies all year - the Dogs were down to 1 on the bench and already had no Stringer or Murphy (possibly others too). And their best players were, yet again, Riewoldt, Steven and Dempster.

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

Just a question that some may be able to answer.

When we have a game at Doglands coming up, are we allowed to train there?

Maybe that is something that our tough administrators could take up with the AFL, the same time they demand the Darwin game must precede the bye.

8 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Just a question that some may be able to answer.

When we have a game at Doglands coming up, are we allowed to train there?

Maybe that is something that our tough administrators could take up with the AFL, the same time they demand the Darwin game must precede the bye.

pretty sure it's the same circumstance as the g - clubs can't train there either.

that's why you have a home 'base' and a home 'ground'.

Man it hurts watching the saints pass us by. The worst bit is it seems to be down to discipline, gameplan and pressure. Why can't we get this stuff right?

who cares if they only win at Etihad, if only we could win all out mcg games!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I hate teams that do that.

In all seriousness, the way that Hawthorn maintain their structure, create space and always keep on the move is incredible.

Couldn't agree more, Clint.  I think they are fielding their weakest side in the modern era at the moment, yet they still find ways to win due to their structure and ability to stick to the game plan at all costs.

Just interviewing Adem Yze at three quarter time.  What a player he was in his prime.

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I hate teams that do that.

In all seriousness, the way that Hawthorn maintain their structure, create space and always keep on the move is incredible.

Must be Adam Yze influence....hope he comes home one day...

Just now, Wiseblood said:

Couldn't agree more, Clint.  I think they are fielding their weakest side in the modern era at the moment, yet they still find ways to win due to their structure and ability to stick to the game plan at all costs.

Sydney are the same, rarely looked rushed always in space, it's a lot of little things they do that often go unseen but are what make all the difference.

• Like 1