Around The Grounds - Round 17

Ethan Tremblay

Mitchell is a nut punching sniper. Caused a few key cookies as well. Hodge is a dirty sniper who smashed blokes heads into goal posts or just straight up punches them in the head. Lewis is a dirty sniper who whacks blokes in the head when there is a pack around a ground ball. Their senior players are [censored] blokes and I have zero respect for them.

I hope we never have players who resort to the sort of dirty cheating that the Hawks players do. Be hard and fair.

Last night was a close game anyway by two teams not at their best. Umpires decided it in the end unfortunately. If the AFL is serious about equalization it will change the rules so top 4 teams cannot bring in free agents, only lose players. Until they do we are stuck in an endless cycle of the same few teams at the top. 3 teams have won 9 of the last 11 flags. It's rubbish.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Mitchell is a nut punching sniper. Caused a few key cookies as well. Hodge is a dirty sniper who smashed blokes heads into goal posts or just straight up punches them in the head. Lewis is a dirty sniper who whacks blokes in the head when there is a pack around a ground ball. Their senior players are [censored] blokes and I have zero respect for them.

I hope we never have players who resort to the sort of dirty cheating that the Hawks players do. Be hard and fair.

You would have hated Rod Grinter then.

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Yes - a legitimate *attempt*, which is subjective. If he gets tackled without prior and throws it or spills it before he can form a handball or kick, that is *not* a free kick usually. Clint was on the right track (and shouldn't have backed down - soft! ?)

Note: didn't see the disposal in question, just talking generally. No prior = no obligation for a legal disposal. That is why free kicks with no prior are hardly ever paid unless the player blatantly holds on it it.

as i originally said, the key factor here is that the ball was not held or pinned by the tackler. the second factor was he made no genuine attempt to dispose of the ball (he only tried to break the tackle) and the third and defining factor was he eventually (after a fair while) just dropped the ball.

i also said he was unlucky to be the recipient of such a good tackle, but that's the luck of the game (rules)

of course there is always a degree of interpretation, but in this situation it would be given a free in most cases. the ball was not "spilled" due to, or at the time of tackle. in fact he dropped it a couple of seconds later and that is critical.

it's a free kick now and it was a free kick 50 years ago. i'll concede that a lot of holding the ball situations today that were paid in the past are not being paid now. in most cases, this was done to streamline play, like giving players longer to dispose of the ball but other changes (interpretations) have just added to the inconsistency and subjectivity.

• Like 1

Was too young to remember him playing, but I don't like snipers. Hard and fair, but no sniping.

To my family Mitchell is nicknamed 'The Nutcracker', as he smacked two guys in the nuts ack 2009-2010 and got away with it. Hodge is 'The Drunken Flail' as he's a drink driver and has belted numerous guys in the head. Lewis is known as 'Balding sniper'. All 3 are overrated dirty footballers.

Deejunior   "Mummy, Daddy says those Hawks are being bullies again"

DeeMum "If you want to replace them, you need to learn to play like them"

Deejunior "But Daddy says they don't play nice"

DeeMum "Well if you don't,  you may as well keep bending over like Daddy has for the last few years"

2 hours ago, Undeeterred said:

My whinge about Hawthorn was very specifically that they get an absolute arm chair ride from the league and from the umpires.

My previous complaints, in other threads, have been about how absolutely dirty their celebrated leaders are, such as Hodge and Mitchell. I hope we play hard, winning football, but I don't want it to be at the cost of being known as dirty, sniping pricks.

How do the Hawks get a free ride from the league? Swans are the ones receiving "player retention" allowance. The same allowance that will help them as they try to lure Tmac away from us, stuff them. 

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

it's a free kick now and it was a free kick 50 years ago. i'll concede that a lot of holding the ball situations today that were paid in the past are not being paid now. in most cases, this was done to streamline play, like giving players longer to dispose of the ball but other changes (interpretations) have just added to the inconsistency and subjectivity.

Fair enough - like I said, I didn't see the tackle.  I was expecting it was one of those ones where he's tackled straight away and the drops it/it spills out virtually straight away, which is what people who moan about this rule usually see.

Saying it was a free kick 50 years ago won't do much to endear me to your argument though.

A win tonight by Freo would really put a dent in Geelongs top 4 chances, and being in Perth the chance is there for the upset. Go Dockers!!

Edited by Petraccattack

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

Fair enough - like I said, I didn't see the tackle.  I was expecting it was one of those ones where he's tackled straight away and the drops it/it spills out virtually straight away, which is what people who moan about this rule usually see.

Saying it was a free kick 50 years ago won't do much to endear me to your argument though.

and in-between, nasher. i.e. continuously. does that endear you?

I'm just sick of Hawthorn. We haven't had a good grand finals in years. Every grand final involving Hawthorn recently has been boring as batshit. Will be great for football when this team falls away finally.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

I'm just sick of Hawthorn. We haven't had a good grand finals in years. Every grand final involving Hawthorn recently has been boring as batshit. Will be great for football when this team falls away finally.

If you look at their list now, in 2-3 years they should. It's their older guys that are still the game changers. Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson are all 32-33 and are practically their 4 best players. They don't seem to have the young talent that other clubs do. However, FA means everyone will want to play for them.

20 minutes ago, Je Roos Salem said:

If you look at their list now, in 2-3 years they should. It's their older guys that are still the game changers. Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson are all 32-33 and are practically their 4 best players. They don't seem to have the young talent that other clubs do. However, FA means everyone will want to play for them.

What if they all run around like Harvey until they're 38?

Kill me!!

• Like 1

Geelong playing some lazy footy tonight, plus there are plenty of spuds running around for them.  Cockatoo, Ruggles, Murdoch, McCarthy etc.  Take away a few of the experienced players and they are exposed for the very average players they are.

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

A win tonight by Freo would really put a dent in Geelongs top 4 chances, and being in Perth the chance is there for the upset. Go Dockers!!

Given it is a six-day break for them afer the Darwin game, it would also put a large dent in the post-Darwin effect theory ...

• Like 2

Definitely should've been a free against Lewis. One arm free is your opportunity to dispose of the ball. He didn't with plenty of time. And then dropped it. 

As for Geelong. lol, please lose. Pretenders. 

2 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

As for Geelong. lol, please lose. Pretenders. 

Wouldn't that be gold? Great start by Freo.  Seem to be managing okay on their six day break after Darwin too, but apparently our incompetent FD should've made 7 changes with our 8 day break.

Here's to an epic Chris Scott tantrum if this game keeps up.

• Like 2