Changes vs St Kilda

DemonLad5

4 hours ago, Biffen said:

I'm hoping the presence of some sort of atmosphere at the MCG might put them off a bit.

So the last quarter of the Blues vs. Weagles might put them off? How?

1 hour ago, Abe said:

So much comes down to which Saints side shows up.

They played a fantastic game and beat the Saints, and then got done by the Suns and barely fell over the line against the Bombers. 

I think we will win this, i reckon the boys will set themselves to break this one, it can't be nice being beaten over and over by a team that is a direct rival in terms of rise/ladder position.

if we win this game i think we can win 2-4 more and it'll be an amazing result for the club.

The Saints played a fantastic game and beat the Saints? So they should!

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

Their good side will turn up, have no doubt about it.  They're at home, and will see this game as very winnable.  

Same could of been said about Sunday's game, they had the high of the win against Geelong then the low of Gold Coast away. They looked tired on Sunday,  but knowing how footy goes, they will come switched on to play.

1 minute ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Same could of been said about Sunday's game, they had the high of the win against Geelong then the low of Gold Coast away. They looked tired on Sunday,  but knowing how footy goes, they will come switched on to play.

Or they might tire severely in the second half of the year, much like we did last year. Particularly, as the Saints have finally started playing some young guys. The majority of their best players are 26/27+ though in Stevens, Armitage, Riewoldt, Montagna and Fisher. Their young guys in Dunstan and Acres don't have the same class as their older guys.

As others have said, clearly we need to be able to apply a great deal more pressure in our forward half.

We need to be able to hold them up when they win the ball in our forward 50. It'll make all the difference as to how our defenders setup.

Do that and shut Steven and Roo out of the game and we win.

We'll easily win enough midfield ball and their defence is truly awful.

We should be breathing fire for this game. They've owned us for far far too long.

• Like 6

I would like to see Wagner come back in for Oscar.

Backline as follows:

Jetta Frost White

Wagner TMac Harmes

Grimes and Hunt on the wings

I am not too sure on how Billy will pull up after the game, but he is critical to our speed for Etihad. If he is not fit then I would bring Oliver in.

Other than that I wouldn't make many changes, perhaps if Vince is not fit, then look at Brayshaw or even Benny Newton.

• Like 1

We are behind the 8 ball before we start, because the Saints will turn up full of confidence that they can beat us.

This is a game like last week. If we want to attract players, and advance our claims for finals next year, this is a must win.

We could gain all sorts of confidence from this week, and who knows how that could affect our chances in following weeks.

Oliver in for sure.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, old dee said:

As should we Nasher they have won the same number of games as us but we have a better percentage.

We have won 3 of the last five games and they are 2 from 5.

Close game with the Dees by 10 points is my prediction.

It's the othervway round.

1 hour ago, AdamFphlebeb said:

Or they might tire severely in the second half of the year, much like we did last year. Particularly, as the Saints have finally started playing some young guys. The majority of their best players are 26/27+ though in Stevens, Armitage, Riewoldt, Montagna and Fisher. Their young guys in Dunstan and Acres don't have the same class as their older guys.

Hoping you're right, putting them in a multi.

3 hours ago, CBDees said:

So the last quarter of the Blues vs. Weagles might put them off? How?

So we are in Etihad?

Twice.

FMD.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, billy2803 said:

Oscar and Vince cleared of serious injury, both a chance to play this week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-12/demons-get-good-news-on-vince-mcdonald-injuries

Nice that Vince is likely but I would love Wagner and Oliver to both play as well. Who gives way? Kennedy?

10 minutes ago, PartyTimeJohnny said:

O-Mac out of the side is a massive IN for us.

[censored] comment. He is improving week to week. Replacement for him would either be Dunn, who was disgraceful last time against St.Kilda, or Garland, who definitely hasn't set the world on fire this year.

Edited by leehow
  • Like 9

I note H misses again.  I've watched the Richmond Casey game and there was no sign of a serious knock but with the bye last week he'll miss at least 2 on top of the extended break he had earlier in the season - again from no obvious heavy knock.

If he's that seriously hurt I hope he calls it quits and preserves his health. It all seems pretty strange to me.

On 10/7/2016 at 10:05 PM, mauriesy said:

Am I the only one who thinks the idea of a "rest" at Casey is somewhat of a slight on that team?

Top of the ladder, needing to keep up the wins, the last thing Casey needs is players just turning up for a "rest".

From what I understand, Casey had a bye when we played the Dockers, so you don't get much better rest than that.  i.e. no slight intended.

Despite the bye factor, VFL is still a fair step down from AFL intensity and even had they played,bringing in players from that level should still be fresher, particularly since the MFC would probably also make the call on Casey to manage gametime for any likely AFL inclusions.

We should make a few changes purely as we're coming back from NT and need fresh bodies full of run for Etihad. Hopefully we have learned our lesson from earlier this year when they thumped us. And hopefully T-mac does what he is told this time and doesn't get sucked up the ground into no mans land.

Cmon Dees let's finally beat this completely average football team! It's only been 10 years!?!

• Like 2

Not sure the outs (BenKen perhaps?), but I'd like to see both Oliver and Brayshaw back in the side, probably with Wagner and Bugg. Like their hardness.

The coaches said they were going to bring in fresh legs against Port, then didn't and paid the price IMHO.  So I defiantly agree with rotating players.

I didn't notice Billy Stretch play particularly badly against Freo, like his attack on the man/ball and good foot skills, so not sure he'd nessasily be one I'd be thinking of leaving out of the side.  As much as I like him as a player, I'm not sure that Vanders does enough to warrent his spot sometimes.  But all in all I'm counting on the fitness department to monitor and make the right call on who needs the rest, advised also by who the coaches think they need for team balance.

Also I have no idea why anyone would think that someone who has racked up their high jumper number in possessions at 90% efficiency along with a bunch of 1%ers after spending 11weeks knocking on the door and has a mature body is going anywhere close to getting left out of the side this week.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter

11 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Not sure the outs (BenKen perhaps?), but I'd like to see both Oliver and Brayshaw back in the side, probably with Wagner and Bugg. Like their hardness.

The coaches said they were going to bring in fresh legs against Port, then didn't and paid the price IMHO.

II didn't notice Billy Stretch play particularly badly against Freo, like his attack on the man/ball and good foot skills, so not sure he'd nessasily be one I'd be thinking of leaving out of the side.  As much as I like him as a player, I'm not sure that Vanders does enough to warrent his spot sometimes.  But all in all I'm counting on the fitness department to monitor and make the right call on who needs the rest, advised also by who the coaches think they need for team balance.

Vanders against Freo 22 possessions 9 contested 3 marks 5 tackles 2 clearances 1 goal 2 behinds  

• Like 3

There have been a couple of times this season when we have made mistakes at selection and they have come and bitten us come game time. I have to say that last weeks' selections were spot on and I am encouraged by talk of a 'plan' in place for the three week block of games starting with last game. I just hope they stick to it.

I would expect to see some rotations through the midfield this week with at least 2 changes being made. Vince rested and Kennedy dropped maybe? Oliver in and possibly ANB or Brayshaw. There are a lot of possible scenarios. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Vanders against Freo 22 possessions 9 contested 3 marks 5 tackles 2 clearances 1 goal 2 behinds  

Fair call.  I did notice him do a few good things on Saturday night and perhaps with a bit more fitness back he is spending more time back on the ball.

But if you look at his figures for previous weeks (practically the rest of the season), they are well down and I think he has been given chances that others haven't.

One thing he does do is give a big/strong physical presence.  Hoping he has turned the corner and get's back to his 2015 form.

• Like 1

Big night at selection table coming up.

With 8 days between games, it would seem that all players should have recovered with only Oscar in doubt because of injury and any other change will be a big call given our first half last week.

The big battle for selectors is to decide who replaces Oscar if he proves too great a risk. On one hand Wagner sounds easy as his replacement, but with the Saints having three bigs Riewoldt (T.Mac), Membrey (Frost), the question is whether White or Wagner can be risked manning up Bruce - who can leap.

If not Garland comes into the equation. Some have said Dunn, but that would be a major risk, given that it was the St Kilda game last time where his papers were marked too slow for zone defence. If Wagner and Oscar don't come up, then Garland is the easy choice for Bruce, if not I'd imagine we may go small and take a punt with White and Wagner rotating on him. There is also an outside chance that White's lack of height will mean he comes out for Garland - a less risky option. Regardless I'd be super surprised if Garland and Wagner aren't named in an extended squad on Thursday.

The other change may not eventuate but clearly anyone who was watching the performance of Matt Jones must have been laughing at times last week - especially when he registered a defensive 50 clearance for Fremantle instead of squaring the ball up to the goalsquare. I'm sorry for MJ lovers, but he is in the side because he has pace. Unfortunately he is not using it and appears racked with fear of turnovers, hence invariably going the safe option (usually a handball sideways) - which in turn puts the onus on the next player to take the game on, usually amid more pressure. Like Grimes, his superior fitness helped him get more of the ball in the second half, especially as Freo decided to clamp down on the corridor access. But did Matt Jones actually do anything that justified his spot as a quick outside linkman? I'm sorry but he is 28 and has now played 59 mediocre games - how many more games must we wait for him to dominate a match. It's a failed experiment and given that all our other quick players - Hunt, Vanders, Frost, Jeffy, Watts, Billy, BenKen, Harmes - are all fit and in the side - we just don't need his pace for this game - even if it is the fastest venue outside of Subiaco.

To me, one of Oliver or Brayshaw should be recalled for him, although Bugg must also be some chance given his versatility. But to me it is either Bugg or Grimes, not both, so i'd prefer us to stick with Grimesy and go with Ollie and give Angus one more game in the magoos before his West Coast redemption trip where I'd line him up on Wellingham. 

Obviously if O.Mac is fit, then we might well just go a straight swap of Matt Jones for Wagner. This will allow Bernie to move up to a tagging role - either on Montagna or Steven. The last time we played the Saints, they used Steven as a hard tag on Viney and this time the roles may need to be reversed. Ultimately if we stop Steven, we stop a fair whack of their run and carry, so it would be negligent of Roosy, not to employ a tag on him this time. The only issue is whether Vince is regarded as quick enough to go to him or whether we give Viney his chance at redemption. I'd go Viney.

Ultimately the whole game is about redemption as we were way too cocky and attacking in Round 6 and got our come-uppance. I don't see that happening this time and I imagine it will start with Gawny looking to redeem himself for allowing Hickey to negate him last time. Our most important inclusion since that game is VB - can people finally realise what he brings to the table  - he is our most scary player. Rodney "Balls" Grinter should be ashamed of himself to have questioned his worth - either change your name or apologise next time you go online - the real Rod Grinter would know VB is imperative to our young side at this point. Have you actually watched Vanders hammer a tackle or are you just looking at his stats. Hunt also had a shocker against the Saints last time, let's see how he goes this time now that he is more advanced in his AFL-level game smarts. Petracca also made a very untidy debut - so hopefully he can put a game together like he did v the Pies on QB.

In: Wagner, Garland, Oliver

Out: None as yet, but come Sunday M.Jones and either O.Mac (injured) or White. 

B: Jetta Frost Wagner

HB: Hunt T.Mac Harmes

C: Grimes Vince Stretch

HF: VB Watts Kennedy

F: Garlett Hogan Kent

Ru: Gawn N.Jones Viney

Int: Tyson, Petracca, O.Mac, Oliver, Garland, White, M.Jones 

Edited by Deespicable