Michael Hibberd and Michael Hurley

P-man

15 hours ago, Canplay said:

Worst club to trade with -  this will be interesting if he decides on Dees -  just need to hold the line -  we paid overs for Jake, they can take a little under value for Hibbert.

Funnily enough, I was having coffee with a good friend of mine todaywho is a Bomber fan, and he actually said the same thing....rates Hibberd higher than Melksham and reckons we paid slight overs, said that it made sense that we paid slight unders for Hibberd.  I know, an Essendon fan that is reasonable, hard to believe ;) 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I have a similar concern...

Me too. I'm not sure I am happy with the idea of half of Essendons backline in ours in 2017. One: I think we are growing a good one ourselves, and two: other than Hurley, the other guys are bit players. Good bit players, but not a leap in talent from what we have, or will have. I guess however 3 is: I'm going to have to back the club, because it seems to have it's head and arse in the right spots since the early 2000's, but I am a tad uneasy about us chasing B grade Dons.

• Like 1

Honestly guys, at the risk of sounding a bit like Saty, what do you think our staff do every day? Do you think they just have a coffee together once every few weeks and say "Wanna get Hibberd"... "Yer, ok"... And then go on playing Pokemon Go? These aren't simple decisions made by one person with no accountability or process, and it's not as if they spend all their working hours every day obsessing over the one trade target for the year.

But hey, let's keep talking about getting Prestia and O'Meara and Hurley etc because we've done so many trades like that in the past...

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jackaub said:

Can someone explain to me why we all of a sudden are going after Hibberd apparently. Why another Essendon player after Milkshake who used up pick 27 for zero return this year

What is the strategy and thinking.Is it only because the new coach had a relationship with the Essendon players

If we get Hibberd, he and Milkshake better be great players for the Dees or Goodwin will look a little unprofessional and perhaps a poor judge.

Honestly, you make pessimists look optimistic.

• Like 2

It's funny reading concerns about a player when those expressing those concerns have virtually no clue of Hibberd as a player.

Hibberd is a very very good and tough player, who would immediately make our team and defence better.  Be thankful if iwe land him. 

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, daisycutter said:

I don't think the grievance tribunal would take a long time. If the tribunal found the contract was breached essendon could go to court, but given the desire of essendon (now) to move on I doubt they would. They'd probably threaten it, but not follow through as they would lose control over skeletons in the cupboard. however if the tribunal found the contract was not breached the player could then go to court which would be a real possibility as the player would then be in a very difficult situation. again, essendon wouldn't like this to go to court.

the other scenario is the player could just bypass the grievance tribunal and go straight to court, but i doubt anyone would do this unless there was a good reason 

all spoken as a non lawyer :lol:

Thank you for including at least one capital letter at the beginning of a sentence dc.

:lol:

29 minutes ago, ProDee said:

It's funny reading concerns about a player when those expressing those concerns have virtually no clue of Hibberd as a player.

Hibberd is a very very good and tough player, who would immediately make our team and defence better.  Be thankful I'd we land him. 

There's no question that Hibberd is best 22 at MFC, but I pose the question. If Goodwin didn't have the relationship he had with Hibberd and Melksham, would they be the type of player that you see as urgently addressing a specific need at MFC? I don't. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mo64 said:

There's no question that Hibberd is best 22 at MFC, but I pose the question. If Goodwin didn't have the relationship he had with Hibberd and Melksham, would they be the type of player that you see as urgently addressing a specific need at MFC? I don't. 

Yes. 

Goodwin is no fool and clearly he agrees.

5 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I wish that his relationship with Hurley was similarly solid!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Hes a proven gun half back, and will free up the likes of Salem and Hunt for possible midfield roles.  We arent there yet and we need all the good players we can get.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I do.

Why?

Because both players, particularly Hibberd address a very specific need we have - natural defenders who can run, break lines but most important of all can consistently hit targets by foot, including targets 40 to 50 metres away either up or across the ground. Think of how many goals we have given away as turnovers (or indeed times we have failed to capitlise on an attacking move) precisely because we lack players down back with this skill. It is the main reason we have had to play Vince down back and one of the reasons Wagner was promoted so soon. It is also why Salem is down back when it is clear he is not a natural defender. 

I have no doubt at all it is this specific need that has resulted in the dees chasing Melksham and Hibberd, as opposed to them having a good relationship with Goodwin.

Both will make us a better team, not just because of a skill set that addresses a need but also because it will allow Vince to go back into the midfield and Salem play o the wing or in the mid field where he is more suited (and where his skills by foot and hand will do real damage). 

The other thing worth noting is Hibberd is a left foot kick and it is a big advantage to have a high number of good lefties, particularly down back as it really opens up the field with players covering the right side.

Edited by binman

49 minutes ago, mo64 said:

The glaring needs as I see them are a line breaking wingman (ala Isaac Smith / Stephen Hill) and a gorilla forward/ruck (ala Josh Jenkins / 2m Peter).  Then I'd be looking for more experienced outside midfielders/half backs (effectively the same position these days) that can run and kick.  This is what Melksham and Hibberd are.

With only pick 27 as it currently stands, good luck getting a quality line-breaking wingman or gorilla forward/ruck. All you'd get for pick 27 is Dean Towers or Levi Casboult.

Edited by Watts Jurrah Dunn?

4 hours ago, Nasher said:

Because there is no "we" in this discussion, the only person who can initiate the walk for free scenario is Hibberd, and he probably won't for the reasons outlined. I doubt the MFC gives a fat rat's clacker about how it hurts Essendon. I sure don't.

The MFC has to look after the interests of the player it is trying to recruit. I'm sure the MFC would love him to come for free and will probably say to him "how about it?", but at the end if the day if the club wants Hibberd, it should be prepared to pay as it would under normal circumstances. The responsible thing to do is start preparing for that scenario now so we are ready for it, and worry about the cheaper path when that opens up, if it does.

STOP MAKING SENSE AND BEING SO DAMN REASONABLE NASH.

I want these bastards to bleed. Especially as Gil and Co decided that the deserved ZERO A.F.L. sanctions for administering performance enhancing drugs to almost their entire list. FFS they didnt even get hit with "Bringing the game into disrepute" 

Cant wait for the appeal to be dismissed so they can be called drug cheats forever (officially)

• Like 2

The other thing I think people forget is you have to potentially trade with these other clubs every single season, trying to screw another club might work this year but next year they will remember and not so likely to trade. I think the Dees have definitely tried for win win (win for both clubs) trades for the players they have wanted in recent years.

I expect if we do go after either it will in a way we benefit by getting the player and Ess receive a fair and reasonable compensation whether we like it our not. Personally I'd like them (if they are wanting to come) to walk for free but I would be amazed if that actually occurred.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ding said:

STOP MAKING SENSE AND BEING SO DAMN REASONABLE NASH.

I want these bastards to bleed. Especially as Gil and Co decided that the deserved ZERO A.F.L. sanctions for administering performance enhancing drugs to almost their entire list. FFS they didnt even get hit with "Bringing the game into disrepute" 

Cant wait for the appeal to be dismissed so they can be called drug cheats forever (officially)

Totally Agree.  

Plus they have been given the number 1 pick as compensation for Drug cheating. Go figure. They are not a bottom team, they are at worst a mid ladder team. They should be getting their first round pick at best in the middle of the round or realistically at the end of the first round. Another Fitzpatrick/O'Loughlin/Essendon shocker. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I have a similar concern that we may be committing to players with a Goodwin relationship a long way out to EOS or trade time.  The risk is we have 'blinkers' on to other prospects that may become available and not necessarily using the best criteria for player selection.  Not saying they can't play or won't fit in but would prefer we see signs of mfc looking elsewhere as well.  We may have tried, I don't know.  While relationships are obviously critical that doesn't extend to mateship, if there are better options for the team.  I recall an interview with Goodwin last year on Melksham and it sounded like he 'pulled rank' on Taylor. 

TBH I would rather extract a defender from a good recent finals team to get Finals experience into the team rather than one similar to those we have, whose team has wallowed on the bottom of the ladder for a long time, in the worst of circumstances.  They have their own set of 'mental scars' and we don't need any more such players.  I get the new club can refresh players, view but as has been seen at mfc a 'looser mentality' can be very difficult to dislodge.  Also, its not as if EFC had any sort of decent defence even when Goodwin and McCartney were there for those players to bring anything particularly special.

In summary, would prefer to keep our powder dry or have irons in several fires before we 'commit' to any player or eggs in one basket. 

I'd prefer we hear nothing. We know a football club led by PJ won't be sitting on their hands. 

In regards to the rest of your post, I agree. The Essendon guys underwhelm me, but I wouldn't say no if they come cheaply. I think Hurley is certainly the pick of he, Melksham and Hibberd though.

• Like 1

I do know that trying to force hibberd/hurley to walk for nothing is the best option for us. But, I'm 100% sure that won't happen. Especially hurley, he is not leaving. Hibberd may leave, he may not, but I know for sure he isn't going to go down the grievance path, none of them will. Someone mentioned we be hard nosed about negotiating becuase they deserve nothing less. We all know how they operate, we can't win that battle, we will have to satisfy them unfortunately.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on here and I don't have a subscription to the HUN, sounds interesting.

"Hibberd likely to leave Bombers for Dees

BANNED Essendon defender Michael Hibberd is likely to request a move to Melbourne in a decision that could trigger a trade standoff between the clubs. The Herald Sun understands the Demons are increasingly confident of landing Hibberd, who has"

3 minutes ago, Dante said:

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on here and I don't have a subscription to the HUN, sounds interesting.

"Hibberd likely to leave Bombers for Dees

BANNED Essendon defender Michael Hibberd is likely to request a move to Melbourne in a decision that could trigger a trade standoff between the clubs. The Herald Sun understands the Demons are increasingly confident of landing Hibberd, who has"

Has been posted a few times and is utter dribble

4 minutes ago, Dante said:

Sorry, as the article was only published today I assumed it was new.

Was published yesterday. There has been a few similar articles to this floating around full of speculation. "This could happen" "This is possible" etc/

1 minute ago, ProDee said:

Since when did the word "drivel" become "dribble" ?

Is it a neologism, Daisy ?

Hahahah just realised the error.. auto-correct beat me this time.