• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT JACK

Cranky Franky

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

It was pure madness. The Meetings behind closed doors would have been ridiculous

meanwhile Schwab was busy designing the Blazer...

Lol. Is it 2013 again, WYL? Are we still on this?

• Like 2

Schwab was just being romantic - the idea of the youngest ever AFL captain was too alluring for him to ignore.

My 'favourite' stupid schwab comment was when he compared putting the Reach logo on our jumper in preseason (because we hadn't secured a major sponsor yet) to that of Unicef being on a barcelona jersey. Talk about drawing a long bow....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

No the opposite...... would he prefer a chance at Brisbane (with a good guarantee of games) against no/few games a la Grimes this year

Being a professional footballer and wanting to play at the highest level possible I would think that'd be a no-brainer.

• Like 1

Trengove's a very good footballer.

I suspect he just needs proper time in the system post-injury to get his body back and, relevantly, to regain proper confidence in it.

He's been out for a bloody long time. But he's still young, talented and super professional. He's also a leader around the club and is obviously very well liked and respected by the other players and the coaching group.

All this has to mean that he gets another year. At the Demons.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, spalding said:

IMHO it would make no sense to delist him at the end of this year. Surely the one year contact for 2016 was to see if his foot could cope with regular games (irrespective of whether this was at MFC or Casey). Given that it seems he has hit this KPI, I would think he will get another 1 year contract and the chance to see what he can do at AFL level next year on the back of a full pre-season where he participates in pretty much all the drills and loading.

This makes sense I hope you're right

17 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The club broke his heart when we demoted him from Co Captain

The club broke his heart when we tried to trade him to the tigers

The club broke his heart when we dropped him after 3 games this year.

There are only so many times a heart can be broken, CBDees.  I would actually like to see Jack take his future into his own hands and not wait to see if MFC is going to throw him some crumbs and get his manager out there promoting his cause.  If he finds another team we should do the honourable thing and let him walk.

You make way too many assumptions here.

You don't know what communication he's been given or what future plans Goodwin may have for him. For all we know Goodwin and Trengove are on the same page and looking forward to him having a strong summer.  We just don't know.

Jack Trengove: Jack had 29 possessions, including seven contested. He also had 13 tackles, six clearances and kicked a goal. Jack continues to impress – he continually competes and cracks into the ball with his bigger body. The pleasing thing with Jack on the weekend was his tackling, which was a highlight. Off the back of missing so much football, he continues to play at a high standard. His leadership, organisation and direction on the ground has been a massive bonus for us as well.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2016-08-03/vfl-player-review-round-17

Sounds like the type of recruit we would look at doesn't it?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The club broke his heart when we demoted him from Co Captain

The club broke his heart when we tried to trade him to the tigers

The club broke his heart when we dropped him after 3 games this year.

There are only so many times a heart can be broken, CBDees.  I would actually like to see Jack take his future into his own hands and not wait to see if MFC is going to throw him some crumbs and get his manager out there promoting his cause.  If he finds another team we should do the honourable thing and let him walk.

I thought he stepped down from the captaincy, it was Grimes that was demoted.

I would be very surprised if he elected to stay on next year after all that has happened.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Sounds like the type of recruit we would look at doesn't it?

Exactly. If he was a recruit with a writeup like this, we'd be jumping with joy. I know, I know, he's not a recruit - but he's not over the hill, either.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2016 at 4:07 PM, ProDee said:

He's a very smart footballer who I think can become a successful AFL player. 

Like others, I reckon he'll benefit from a full preseason.

I hope you're right but I hold little hope.  With Oliver, Salem, Melksham and most probably Hibberd in line for starting 22 positions next year I just don't see where he fits or what he brings. He still looks very very slow to me and as I watched the second quarter of the Adelaide game I realized it was highly unlikely the two Captains Jack had any role to play.

I also expect Joel Smith to be really pushing by mid 2017 which will just make it harder.

• Like 4

I expect us to be very active during trade week. Being ooc is dangerous with the club in desperate  need of a finals appearance.

Love Jack, but everyone ooc is on the table. Hope he plays on for another yearat the dees, and i would not be suprised to see him selected in the seniors again before the season is done.

6 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I hope you're right but I hold little hope.  With Oliver, Salem, Melksham and most probably Hibberd in line for starting 22 positions next year I just don't see where he fits or what he brings. He still looks very very slow to me and as I watched the second quarter of the Adelaide game I realized it was highly unlikely the two Captains Jack had any role to play.

I also expect Joel Smith to be really pushing by mid 2017 which will just make it harder.

If he can't get some zip into his movement you're right.

I hope he can as I like him as a player.  I'm less confident than I was.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

This was a great thread and I thought it deserves bump.

I am really wondering what performance requirements the football department gave to Jack for this year (2017). Whatever they were it seems that they were unattainable.

Cannot help but think that Jack was offered up for trade at season's end last year. If not we seem to have done him no favours keeping him on our list.

Very hard business football but I would be upset for Jack's career to end up in the same way as happened with Jack Grimes.

3 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

This was a great thread and I thought it deserves bump.

I am really wondering what performance requirements the football department gave to Jack for this year (2017). Whatever they were it seems that they were unattainable.

Cannot help but think that Jack was offered up for trade at season's end last year. If not we seem to have done him no favours keeping him on our list.

Very hard business football but I would be upset for Jack's career to end up in the same way as happened with Jack Grimes.

The question Jim, is who does he come in for?  I mean, for the particular role that JT plays, who has to make way for him?

If it's not a like for like, then it'll take some creative positional movements, and I'm just not sure if what Jack would bring in is good enough to force Goodwin to do this.

1 hour ago, billy2803 said:

The question Jim, is who does he come in for?  I mean, for the particular role that JT plays, who has to make way for him?

If it's not a like for like, then it'll take some creative positional movements, and I'm just not sure if what Jack would bring in is good enough to force Goodwin to do this.

you may be right billy and in fact you probably are but that raises the question as to whether he was ever going to get a game under the present gameplan.

They have played the likes of Hannan, the two Smiths, Melksham, Bugg, JKH... the list goes on. None of these set the world alight and while Jack is not as you say a "like for like" for most if not all these players who needs to go down for him to get a game.

It really does seem that the game has passed him by at least at the MFC.

I dont get why he hasn't lost some weight the last couple of seasons to try and get a bit more zip and agility.  Its like he is running in cement out there.

He doesnt need to be as big as he is these days. He has natural strength anyway.  

As it stands I doubt he comes in to the AFL team, he is just way too slow.

Edited by Petraccattack

JT deserves the chance again.  Probably gets the spot as an inside mid behind Oliver and Viney. But Tyson occupies that spot.  JT should be able to find that HFF spot available given JKH poor form.  Probably hard to see midfield with Dom Tyson and JT.

Edited by spirit of norm smith

2 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

JT deserves the chance again.  Probably gets the spot as an inside mid behind Oliver and Viney. But Tyson occupies that spot.  JT should be able to find that HFF spot available given JKH poor form.  Probably hard to see midfield with Dom Tyson and JT.

JT does everything JKH can do but better and with more leadership. He should get a go based solely on that.

• Like 7