Dawes to Full Back

Dee1987

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here yet, on the radio yesterday the commentators thought once Dawes has some match time under his belt bring him back and try him in defence. He is a big fella that can take a grab and he knows where to go could be the change he may need, worth a shot? Fingers crossed for hurley at seasons end

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, deefella said:

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here yet, on the radio yesterday the commentators thought once Dawes has some match time under his belt bring him back and try him in defence. He is a big fella that can take a grab and he knows where to go could be the change he may need, worth a shot? Fingers crossed for hurley at seasons end

bsp.gif

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, deefella said:

big fella that can take a grab

No he can't. If he had anything other than concrete for hands he'd be a lock at centre half-forward. And further to that he wouldn't even play for us as Collingwood wouldn't have offloaded him. His inability to mark the ball means he's fringe for our best 22.

• Like 2

When will people realise that it's the overall play of the team, and not the matchups down back, that needs to be fixed up?  The Dogs got plenty of easy ball and open space for their forwards yesterday, and sticking Dawes down there won't change a thing.

• Like 3

only if our injured list hits 23 on 4 to 6!!!! On the cusp of the 8 and we're resorting to whim and fancy! Dawes will fill CHF as soon as he dominates the position for Casey. He's getting there, but not quite yet. Oscar, H, Grimes, Dunn, & White would all be ahead of Dawes as a backman.

If you want to throw any of our forwards back Hogan was a very good junior defender, could be a gun at either end, i prefer him up forward though

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

If you want to throw any of our forwards back Hogan was a very good junior defender, could be a gun at either end, i prefer him up forward though

I remarked that this should have been done on Sunday from the first change.Jesse is a top reader of the ball in the air. We are sadly lacking Half back marking power.

When he is not getting the pill a stint at CHB is in order( one up) .

Our backs are hopeless at reading the ball in the air but some of this is due to weak tackling upfield.

Jesse is a good mark when our positioned one on one.

Put him at CHB when we struggle to stop the flow.

it was a good enough teaching method for Neitz and Scjwartz.

Nope, would rather we try Frost back then Dawes. Dawes will get one last crack at a rotating CHF/FF position within the next few weeks and from 2017 if he's still on the list he'll be our break glass in case of emergency (Hogan gets injured).

I see a lot of merit in this idea. Dawes is big and strong - he can physically match it with anyone. He has a tank, smarts and is a good disposer. His weakness is chancy marking but this isn't such a problem in defence where can spoil and recover.

We have defence problems and Dawes could be the answer.

Love to see it !!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I see a lot of merit in this idea. Dawes is big and strong - he can physically match it with anyone. He has a tank, smarts and is a good disposer. His weakness is chancy marking but this isn't such a problem in defence where can spoil and recover.

We have defence problems and Dawes could be the answer.

Love to see it !!

Sheeit Bitters you are in better shape than Dawsy, Id rather see you play at Full back or thereabouts!

39 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

Nope, would rather we try Frost back then Dawes. Dawes will get one last crack at a rotating CHF/FF position within the next few weeks and from 2017 if he's still on the list he'll be our break glass in case of emergency (Hogan gets injured).

Yes I think Frost is the next experiment as a KPB. If he can read the play he should be a good intercept mark or spoil and run off his opponent given his athletic abilities. As well Hoges should do a regular stint at CHB as part of his development, even start there at the start just get into the game. I wonder if TMac should be playing more off the wing and running forward, he has a tank and certainly looks comfortable kicking a goal. Sunday's running goal looked very natural for him and he has kicked set shots before, looking very relaxed.

We may be able to do this experimentation once Dawes is fit and playing consistently or the Weed or Hulett are ready for a gig in the Ones. 

The irony is for the equivalent game at the G last year we had Fitzy at FB against Boyd and he rogered him to the point where Boyd was subbed. Fitzy had a run of good games in the back line at Casey and then demolished Boyd.

But for the sake of my post, let's turn a blind eye to his tunnel ball for one moment..... please. 

Edited by Moonshadow

Yeah ..... NAH !!