We need two big key defenders

As mentioned in another thread, Hurley would be ideal to play along side TMc as our other tall defender, but i think one of Nathan or Mitch Brown are far more realistic.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Ah, Garlo.  I can't really defend him all that much, but I didn't realise he was the reason for all of our woes.  I expect that, once he is dropped, we'll be premiership favourites, yes?

Yes, Wise, that's exactly what everyone is trying to say. Your footy perception is impeccable.

Premiership favourites, OR .... maybe we'll have a defender who doesn't play from behind all the time, doesn't take 45 minutes to decide what to do when he has the pill, and can give it to a teammate's advantage rather than creating another 50-50 contest.

• Like 1

Just now, Ted Fidge said:

Yes, Wise, that's exactly what everyone is trying to say. Your footy perception is impeccable.

Premiership favourites, OR .... maybe we'll have a defender who doesn't play from behind all the time, doesn't take 45 minutes to decide what to do when he has the pill, and can give it to a teammate's advantage rather than creating another 50-50 contest.

I was being slightly facetious there Ted, although maybe I went a little hard. 

31 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Ah, Garlo.  I can't really defend him all that much, but I didn't realise he was the reason for all of our woes.  I expect that, once he is dropped, we'll be premiership favourites, yes?

Can't defend him but you just did in a roundabout way. 

Nice. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Its baffling Garland got back into the side on the back of no strong form in the VFL.. Yet Dunn got dropped after one bad game. 

Just get rid of him FFS.. I'm still not sold on Omac.. Still too fumbly and not strong enough.

I must say Garland is a glaring weakness - not the right size for anyone, fumbles, poor vision. May be a really nice guy but nice guys don't win flags. 

IMVHO Frost must be given some games as a defender in Garland's place, and O Mc also needs game time when ready. 

However the whole team upfield right from deep forward need to exert more pressure in the ball carrier and no doubt will as the team matures together. 

38 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I used to be a big fan of Garlo but my gosh he has gone backwards in a big way. He used to be a very reliable defender and provided some attacking plays out of defence but now I feel like I havnt seen him play a better than average game for a few years now. He used to be a decent kick and a good decision maker didn't he?? Maybe I just used to rate him too much I don't know...

Edited by Rafiki

Hogan, Watts, Weideman and Hulett are the now and future tall forwards. Why the hell they persist with Frost in the forward line when he plays seniors is mind boggling.

He was drafted as a defender with the view that we were thin on stocks in that area. With both Dunn and Garland losing form at an alarming rate, I would love to know why the coaches persist with the Frost forward plan. :wacko:

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 6

I don't wish to complain about Garland anymore. My mind was made up a while ago and unfortunately nothing has changed. 

I wasn't able to see any of today's game so I can't comment on individual performance etc.

But what I can say from viewing comments on today's game and from my own eyes throughout this season is this:

The fact that Garland and Dunn have been in and out of the team, the leadership group and form in general has been the catalyst for the completely dysfunctional back-line we see today. 

Of that, I'm certain. 

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I don't wish to complain about Garland anymore. My mind was made up a while ago and unfortunately nothing has changed. 

I wasn't able to see any of today's game so I wont comment on individual performance etc.

But what I can say from viewing comments on today's game and from my own eyes throughout this season is this:

The fact that Garland and Dunn have been in and out of the team, the leadership group and form in general has been the catalyst for the completely dysfunctional back-line we see today. 

Of that, I'm certain. 

If forced to choose between the two, I'd have Dunn every time, as at least he can lock down his man, nullify him and win his own ball too.

• Like 1

I'm going to be hounded...

Tom McDonald is a long way off being an AFL standard KPB. He can't kick, and he rarely splits packs to spoil or mark. He floats across in uncontested situations, and tries to take the game on (don't blame effort) yet regularly turns it over. He is not an attacking player, his job first and foremost is to DEFEND.

if you can't kick in 2016, regardless of position, you're not going to cut it - you must know your limitations and handball to those who can dispose efficiently eg. Dale Morris, who has made a career out of knowing his limitations and knowing his role: defend and give to those who are better. 

I think he has a lot of currency if we were looking to trade out.

Young, i know - but he is not the AA material many in the media and on this site think he is.

I would be throwing the cheque book at Michael Hurley 

Edited by Red and Blue Flame
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I wasn't able to see any of today's game so I wont comment on individual performance etc.

Of that, I'm certain. 

I just don't get why people have been defending garland for so long.....he was once an OK defender but hasn't been for a long time 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hellfish said:

Get Chris Dawes down back.

we know he can't mark up forward but he also doesn't get out marked.

I wish this post gathered more legs...

8 hours ago, mo64 said:

We can't. We signed him up to a 3 year contract. Amazing!!!!

The Garland 3 year contract is almost as bad as the McKenzie 3 year contract, very poor decision

8 hours ago, Hellfish said:

Get Chris Dawes down back.

we know he can't mark up forward but he also doesn't get out marked.

His dropped marks will be a hell of a lot more costly in the backline than forward line

• Like 1

Check TMac's stats on Sunday including his disposal efficiency , then please acknowledge we have one of the best young KPD in the AFL. It is a long time since we have had someone of that status in our defence. Without TMac and the mighty Jetta I fear what our opponents scores would be. Let's look at the sides that have beaten us and the methods used. A Defender cannot defend loose men running down the ground when a ball carrier has clean area and is spoilt for choices. Let us be fair !!!

1 hour ago, dimmy said:

Check TMac's stats on Sunday including his disposal efficiency , then please acknowledge we have one of the best young KPD in the AFL. It is a long time since we have had someone of that status in our defence. Without TMac and the mighty Jetta I fear what our opponents scores would be. Let's look at the sides that have beaten us and the methods used. A Defender cannot defend loose men running down the ground when a ball carrier has clean area and is spoilt for choices. Let us be fair !!!

Always worries me when he has the ball in hand. The one stat that I look at is the number of times TMac's turnovers directly results in a goal to the opposition. I am pretty sure that the opposition coach put him down for 2 or 3 goal assists before each game. Until he addresses this issue I doubt his value to the side.

• Like 1

Wouldn't matter how tall your backline is if your backline organisation leaves opposition players unattended 25 metres out directly in front of goal when the ball is coming in, or your defenders can't run back when your opposition wins contested ball and gets through a forward press time and time again.

We probably need another tall, mobile defender, but I think we need a tall forward to help out Hogan even more.

1 hour ago, Optimus D said:

Always worries me when he has the ball in hand. The one stat that I look at is the number of times TMac's turnovers directly results in a goal to the opposition. I am pretty sure that the opposition coach put him down for 2 or 3 goal assists before each game. Until he addresses this issue I doubt his value to the side.

I thought Tom was good yesterday. He was the least of our worries, even when he kicked it.

Edited by mauriesy