MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 7

Demonland

To be fair, Peter Wright barely got near it last week and I don't believe Geelong has a backman who is comparable in height to him.

We just need to make sure we get our defensive positioning right and our mids work hard to put pressure on the ball when it's going forward.

• Like 2

Just now, jnrmac said:

Defender Oscar McDonald, utility Alex Neal-Bullen and former co-captain Jack Grimes have been named emergencies.

Maybe some late changes

yeah O Mac in for Wagner or Hunt

Think the defense looks undersized. Both Dunn and McDonald were poor last week, but Garland isn't big enough for their talls. Pederson will have to play back and hope he and McDonald and Garland all play well, otherwise we're screwed if the ball makes it there often enough.

Great to see Oliver back!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jnrmac said:

Defender Oscar McDonald, utility Alex Neal-Bullen and former co-captain Jack Grimes have been named emergencies.

Maybe some late changes

ANB isn't utility. I know he played forward last year, but he's supposed to be a midfielder. That's where he will play his best footy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiseblood said:

To be fair, Peter Wright barely got near it last week and I don't believe Geelong has a backman who is comparable in height to him.

We just need to make sure we get our defensive positioning right and our mids work hard to put pressure on the ball when it's going forward.

Yeah but the ball barely went near his end of the ground, not much he could do as a forward when the ball was always at the other end

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nasher said:

When our defence was being torn apart, the answer from the box was to get Dunn out of there and throw Pedersen back. It's hard to know the full picture when you're not in the box, but being thrown out of defence and then the side tells me plenty. 

The members mag at the start of the year had some interesting coach's comments about Dunn needing to learn to play within the structures or something along those lines. I remember at the time it seemed an interesting critical comment for a bit of fluff like the mag.

2 hours ago, Ricky P said:

Would you prefer them to not prepare for the opposition's best? 

Or would you prefer them to be dishonest to the media? 

Those are really your only two options.

Wrong, there are plenty of options. Its the repetitive overuse of this cliche we are talking about, and not our actual preparation. Why would you deliberately misunderstand something so simple unless you just want an argument?

7 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

Didn't last year. Lets have faith that the dees mids will work together to work him over.

Curb Ablett ( 25 touches or less ) and Lynch and we're a chance

We don't seem to be able to stop any big forwards.  ever. Lobb, Petrie, Waite, Daniher, Nick Riewoldt, the other saint that had five.  Maybe Cloke and jack reiwoldt but they both were out of form and are finished and overated  respectively. 4 and 3 (W/L) at the end of the day would be genuinely exciting for me.  It would say alot about this teams mentality.  Come on Demons!

• Like 2

3 defenders and a fwd out

3 midfielders and a defender in. Generalised position wise but interesting all the same!

Maybe pedo plays back but then we are short up fwd and second ruck. 

Bad luck for Anb but it is not a good time to be an inside midfielder at casey

Hard to have concussion when you are a headless chook, H!

With both H. And Salem out, we need 2 players to break the lines from half back.  Viv and Vince would be perfect for this.  Oliver to the midfield, stretch to the wing for outside run feels right.

2 meter Peter can have crusty the clown on him if we stop it from getting in there.  Lynch is the big threat forward, hopefully TMac gets his mojo back.

maybe Garlo goes forward, Pedo goes back?  Interesting forward line then with watts, Garlo and Jesse as targets, with Harmes, Kent and Jeffy lurking....

• Like 1

Happy for Michie to come in as i reckon he deserves another shot after a decent end to last year, and great form in the 2's. Would also like to see Oscar come in for Hunt. (Far from convinced about either, but Oscar has some height) Dont think we lose a lot missing Frost as he hasnt been setting the world on fire. Garland....*shrug.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Yoiu know whats annoying?  When we beat Gold Coast we will still be 9th!  Adelaide and Doggies play each other but have huge percentages

We would need the TIgers to beat Hawthorn to be in the 8 after Round 7

Don't take this personally Petraccattack.  I say this as I would in a jovial, pizztaking manner to a mate.  But your above post is so stupid you idiot.  Are you in Grade 5?

Garland ugh.. Hopefully we dominate the centre clearances as there goes any drive out of the backline!  Prove me wrong mouse please 

Bloody hell, it's an inexperienced team.

Lumumba 223 games

Dunn 165 games

Salem 28 games

Frost 29 games

447 games

replaced by

Garland 137

Stretch 12

Oliver 4

Michie 18

171 games

I'm happy that Oliver is in and acknowledge that form is a problem, but that's a big drop.  I'm less confident of victory with that side no doubt.

Edited by hells bells
  • Like 1

When we ask who is going to match up on Peter Wright, if going by last week ......nobody, it seems backman don't get to close to their respective forward these days anyhow, all that zoning seems to be the norm

4 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

Hard to have concussion when you are a headless chook, H!

With both H. And Salem out, we need 2 players to break the lines from half back.  Viv and Vince would be perfect for this.  Oliver to the midfield, stretch to the wing for outside run feels right.

2 meter Peter can have crusty the clown on him if we stop it from getting in there.  Lynch is the big threat forward, hopefully TMac gets his mojo back.

maybe Garlo goes forward, Pedo goes back?  Interesting forward line then with watts, Garlo and Jesse as targets, with Harmes, Kent and Jeffy lurking....

Watching Casey last week it was pretty clear that the defense plan was for Viv to play a Bob Murphy type run out of the backline. He got 10 inside 50's as well as 1 goal. He looked a lot more comfortable this week and backed himself. Hope he has a similar game this week.

• Like 3

Watched Garland play in the Pies v Scorps VFL game and I can't quite understand his selection. His decision making and disposal was average. He will offer more run than Dunn which is significant but I am not sure I want to see Col matched up on Tom Lynch* or Peter Wright. Stretch adds some much needed outside run. Michie can win the ball but is one paced. 

Oliver is of course a smart clearance machine.

*taken 1 pick before Lucas Cook

I think these ins tell us 2 things about last week:

We we were too tall, and too slow. 

I like that we've backed in the younger guys. Gees if we can get 50-80 games as a team into Hogan, Hunt, Wagner, Tyson, Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Stretch, Viney, Gawn and Kent we'd be a very nice side I reckon. 

I feel for ANB but he's playing the role of Viney and Jones at Casey and Oliver has done enough to earn a spot before him as an inside player so far.

Interesting times at the MFC. Seems to be a hard team to get into and we have a definitive team style we are sticking at. I feel pretty good about where we are at. Go Dees!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pinkshark said:

Don't take this personally Petraccattack.  I say this as I would in a jovial, pizztaking manner to a mate.  But your above post is so stupid you idiot.  Are you in Grade 5?

Jokes on you, im in grade 7

• Like 15

36 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Can someone please explain how we'll match up in defence on their talls?

McDonald will obviously play on Lynch. But please tell me Garland isn't going play on Peter Wright who is 12cm taller than him. And what happens if Day starts forward as well?

Perhaps Pedo needs to play as a key defender and rely on Hogan and Watts to be our only key forwards.

i worry about our defence now that Dunn isn't good enough anymore.

Couldn't agree more. This has Essendon and Daniher written all over it again. IMO we are 1 tall short and I expect we will not win. Can only hope Oscar is primed to come in and I cannot understand why Harmes is selected after his efforts (or lack thereof last week) and ANB cannot get a game.

And while I think of it who will give Max a chop out? Is Jack going to play CHF and rotate with Jessie? while Pederson rucks.

Edited by Older demon
  • Like 1