Selection Failures

stuie

I don't really care whether the problem is with the selectors, coaches, or playing group, Roos has 4 more months to fix these once-a-month debacles where the team performs so far below expectations. Otherwise his tenure has to be viewed as a failure.

It is also concerning that we have a brand new opposition analyst (Jennings) who is clearly having no impact on selections, match ups or tactics. What is his role exactly?

• Like 1

On 01/05/2016 at 0:47 PM, Skuit said:

This was also our first sub-week turnaround for the season.

All the more reason for fresh legs. A no brainier really. Beggars belief we cokked up again.

There's a reason you have horses for courses !!!

• Like 2

This is a complex issue. Firstly, who were you going to drop after the previous 3 good displays?

Secondly, we simply have to face the fact that our defence is now our achilles heel. Dunn's performances have exposed us big time. Oscar Mc is not ready, Garland and Grimes are now stop-gap. Time for radical moves.

And, why the hell is the MFC selling a home game to Etihad? Is it a contractual thing? Makes no sense.

In the end, I believe we should organise for a prominent terrorist organisation to bomb the place to oblivion. Do you have any connections with Mossad, Nutbean?:rolleyes:

Edited by dieter
  • Like 1

It ought to be dead easy to drop whoever. The side to play needs to be the best fit for that game. You select accordingly. It's not that difficult. They should know who's fit, who has niggles, who won't get up in time and the balance required. 

They seem to be getting it wrong often. Millions of dollars in coaches/selectors.....getting it wrong. 

Marvelous

Either the defensive setup was completely wrong, or the players weren't able to carry out instructions. It will be interesting to see who gets dropped this week

1 minute ago, loges said:

Either the defensive setup was completely wrong, or the players weren't able to carry out instructions. It will be interesting to see who gets dropped this week

Or both 

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Coaches after Essendon loss - We picked underdone players, we'll learn from it

Coaches after St Kilda loss - We picked the wrong players for the ground, we'll learn from it

Moreso commenting on the 'land guys getting it right. With this many posters of course we're gonna. Lol

• Like 1

Just now, Dappa Dan said:

Moreso commenting on the 'land guys getting it right. With this many posters of course we're gonna. Lol

Haha yeah I know right....

But in fairness, there was a heck of a lot of 'Land posters saying we needed to go for fresh legs and drop a tall or two before the game.

45 minutes ago, H_T said:

I would have thought the experience of losses at Etihad, past mistakes and our game plan would have held the coaches experience at Etihad in good stead.

You would have thought they would have taken more note of the one time we've won there in the last 24 games hey?!

38 minutes ago, poita said:

Roos has 4 more months to fix these once-a-month debacles where the team performs so far below expectations. Otherwise his tenure has to be viewed as a failure.

It is also concerning that we have a brand new opposition analyst (Jennings) who is clearly having no impact on selections, match ups or tactics. What is his role exactly?

Right. Roos does not meet your obscure criteria for success and his tenure will have been a failure? Uggh. My head hurts

Jennings 'clearly' has no impact on selections, match ups or tactics? Really? Maybe they hired him for his good looks and deep voice.

I am not sure why i have not already put you on ignore but i'll remedy that now. Good luck with your your half empty philosophy. I hope it works out for you. 

On 01/05/2016 at 11:56 AM, praha said:

Was attacked saying this in another thread but the reality is that no matter what Roos did, they would have lost.

They were very flat. I said it at quarter time to my girlfriend. I am worried about the 5-day turnaround, and playing a St Kilda team that is quick on a small ground we never play on. Watch the game, watch them around stoppages. We have the grunt but were shockingly beaten. 

What selections could he have made that would have made up 7 goals? 

Let's not kid ourselves. The group was flat. To be honest I don't think they played that poorly, not as bad as they did against Essendon. St Kilda made some shocking errors but wanted it more. We had good delivery going forward but we were ultimately smashed around the stoppages and run off the ground in the backline.

Garlett, Tyson, Gawn, Vince having quiet days doesn't help. They'd have all played irrespective of changes Roos could have made in hindsight. 

It's the domino effect. 2 or 3 players can make the whole group look silly by not playing their role. Selection as well as overall effort played a part against the Saints.

Edited by WAClark
  • Like 1

We have kicked

12.12   in a win

17.7 loss

20.11 win

16.6 win

20.9 win

15.6 loss

This time last year we were struggling to kick 8 goals a game......Goals out the back are far more common these days so when the ball is turned over there is space behind the pack and ALL side are using it......Eddie Betts is third on the goal kicking list because of this.

I have to laugh at posters, and I know that DL is a place for people to vent their anger or laud our team as the next great thing but seriously after one bad game Dunn(who people whinged because he didn't play in the first two games are whinging that he played last week)

Posters blaming the coach, the players, the ground, the selection.

Attack is the way things are going these days and I love it, otherwise we could go back to the Ross Lyon way of things and be bored stupid for half the game.

We will lose more games because of this but we will win a few as well

We have won 2 games in a row and many posters were struggling to make changes to the team.....One week later we are hopeless and people are making 5 or 6 changes. and blaming the footy dept for not making the changes in HINDSIGHT.   Stupid Coaches

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bossdog said:

We have kicked

12.12   in a win

17.7 loss

20.11 win

16.6 win

20.9 win

15.6 loss

This time last year we were struggling to kick 8 goals a game......Goals out the back are far more common these days so when the ball is turned over there is space behind the pack and ALL side are using it......Eddie Betts is third on the goal kicking list because of this.

I have to laugh at posters, and I know that DL is a place for people to vent their anger or laud our team as the next great thing but seriously after one bad game Dunn(who people whinged because he didn't play in the first two games are whinging that he played last week)

Posters blaming the coach, the players, the ground, the selection.

Attack is the way things are going these days and I love it, otherwise we could go back to the Ross Lyon way of things and be bored stupid for half the game.

We will lose more games because of this but we will win a few as well

We have won 2 games in a row and many posters were struggling to make changes to the team.....One week later we are hopeless and people are making 5 or 6 changes. and blaming the footy dept for not making the changes in HINDSIGHT.   Stupid Coaches

Could not have missed the point more if you tried.

As I said... Many posters thought we needed fresh legs before the game.

As I said... Many posters thought we picked a tall/slow team for a fast track like Etihad before the game.

As I said... It's not the end of the world, but we should have learned these things by now.

If "goals being kicked out the back" is the reason we lost, why is it only one team was able to do that if it's the "way it's going these days"? I don't disagree that it's a more common occurrence, but why was one team able to run and spread and do that and the other team was slow and flat? Hmmmm maybe something to do with poor selections for the conditions?

So if the blame isn't with "the coach, the players, the ground, the selection" then where exactly is the blame?

Why do you think the one time we've won at Etihad in the last 24 games was when we picked a small quick team? Do you think that's a factor or do you think it's actually more logical that there's a curse on us at that ground?

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Could not have missed the point more if you tried.

As I said... Many posters thought we needed fresh legs before the game.

As I said... Many posters thought we picked a tall/slow team for a fast track like Etihad before the game.

As I said... It's not the end of the world, but we should have learned these things by now.

If "goals being kicked out the back" is the reason we lost, why is it only one team was able to do that if it's the "way it's going these days"? I don't disagree that it's a more common occurrence, but why was one team able to run and spread and do that and the other team was slow and flat? Hmmmm maybe something to do with poor selections for the conditions?

So if the blame isn't with "the coach, the players, the ground, the selection" then where exactly is the blame?

Why do you think the one time we've won at Etihad in the last 24 games was when we picked a small quick team? Do you think that's a factor or do you think it's actually more logical that there's a curse on us at that ground?

WOW........Sorry if I had an opinion as it had nothing to do with your comment.    Sometimes the other side is just better than yours on the day.   You can get mad and stomp your feet all you like, throw a tanty and scream "I WAS RIGHT"   It changes nothing... You aren't the coach last time I looked.

I know Etihad is a fast track but it is a dry track as well, maybe they thought that we had enough speed and a taller forward line would work to our advantage as Hogan proved with his marking and the Saints not being that tall defensively.   Just a thought Stu.   But you carry on stomping if it will make you feel better.   

1 minute ago, Bossdog said:

WOW........Sorry if I had an opinion as it had nothing to do with your comment.    Sometimes the other side is just better than yours on the day.   You can get mad and stomp your feet all you like, throw a tanty and scream "I WAS RIGHT"   It changes nothing... You aren't the coach last time I looked.

I know Etihad is a fast track but it is a dry track as well, maybe they thought that we had enough speed and a taller forward line would work to our advantage as Hogan proved with his marking and the Saints not being that tall defensively.   Just a thought Stu.   But you carry on stomping if it will make you feel better.   

I'm actually not stomping at all. I'm more disappointed than angry with this game, mostly because (as I've gone on and on about in this post - sorry!) I felt like there was a lot of us mere supporters who could see what would happen but our coaches couldn't, which is just a bit bizarre.

Yep the Saints weren't very tall and Hogan played well, but we lost. In the one game we've won at Etihad in recent times we only had a couple of tall players, so to me logic would dictate we'd take that into consideration, not to mention the short turnaround.

The Saints beat us on the day, but that all started on the Thursday night in my opinion. There's reasons they were better than us on the day, and that's what I was trying to dissect.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, stuie said:

I'm actually not stomping at all. I'm more disappointed than angry with this game, mostly because (as I've gone on and on about in this post - sorry!) I felt like there was a lot of us mere supporters who could see what would happen but our coaches couldn't, which is just a bit bizarre.

Yep the Saints weren't very tall and Hogan played well, but we lost. In the one game we've won at Etihad in recent times we only had a couple of tall players, so to me logic would dictate we'd take that into consideration, not to mention the short turnaround.

The Saints beat us on the day, but that all started on the Thursday night in my opinion. There's reasons they were better than us on the day, and that's what I was trying to dissect.

Just speaking to a friend about this they pointed out currently the inform team of Etihad is the bulldogs, only 2 losses in so long (against none other than hawthorn and an undefeated north). Surprise, surprise they have the best mosquito fleet in the game right now. Supports your point pretty well I would think.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Odd, I didn't notice a "the selectors are a rabble" thread the week before. Or the week before that. Or even, for that matter, the week before that.

Why would there need to be one? Although for the record, feel free to look up all the posts about selection failure after round 2. (re: Brayshaw)

This is the second time in 6 games Roos has said they got the selection wrong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

Why would there need to be one? Although for the record, feel free to look up all the posts about selection failure after round 2. (re: Brayshaw)

This is the second time in 6 games Roos has said they got the selection wrong.

I tend to agree with you stuie 33% failure rate does not look flash.

• Like 1

Perhaps we need to rest players from time to time,the new rotation rule may have be taken into consideration. Having said that N.Jones may need a week off this week,some supporters may disagree however getting game time into youngsters will be good for the club. Some players will be moved on at the end of the year.Once again fresh legs should help the teams win-loss ratio and prevent over confidence.

Wayne. There will be those you rest and those probably best not. But rest some, rotate, yes.

33 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

Perhaps we need to rest players from time to time,the new rotation rule may have be taken into consideration. Having said that N.Jones may need a week off this week,some supporters may disagree however getting game time into youngsters will be good for the club. Some players will be moved on at the end of the year.Once again fresh legs should help the teams win-loss ratio and prevent over confidence.

Cause getting games into youngsters has never gone wrong for us before.