Changes vs. North

Wiseblood

29 minutes ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

Matchups:

Dunn - Petrie

McDonald - Brown

Garland - Waite (if this is't working, swap with TMac)

Jetta - Thomas

I dont agree with their philosophy but matchups arnt a thing anymore. Expect Jetta on Petrie and TMac on thomas for much of the day. The theory being that if they put pressure on up the ground the kicks into the oppositions forwardline will be so bad the matchup wont matter (a nice sentiment but i mean seriously)... saturday showed what happens when there is no midfield/forward pressure 14 i50 marks. 

In: Dunn, Frost, Grimes

Out: Kent, Garland, Bugg

Grimes to play shut down on Boomer

Jetta takes Thomas

Tmac, Frost, Dunn rotating on their talls  but only if Tmac isnt working on Pitrie as the first match up. If it aint broke dont change it other than rotation commitments

I would keep Brayshaw in if he just played poorly due to lack of match fitness.  he needed the run (should have been at casey) but he will be better for it.

Dunn or Frost or both need to come in for North's tall fwds

drop anyone that is not fit, eg Oliver. he has played 5 in a row and may need a rest.  I would be tempted to keep guys like Kent/Hogan in to redeem themselves. Kent is an angry bugger so Id like to see him show that.

4 hours ago, rjay said:

Pretty much agree 'tappy' although I think he often lets himself and the team down with ball in hand.

No mystery 'P-man', he's highly overrated on here and maybe even by the club. He won't make it unless he pulls the finger, a very lazy player who picks and chooses way to much.

I'm referring to when we didn't have the ball as well. He just trotted around. When talking about a lack pressure that allowed so much uncontested possession, it was due to efforts like that.

44 minutes ago, P-man said:

I'm referring to when we didn't have the ball as well. He just trotted around. When talking about a lack pressure that allowed so much uncontested possession, it was due to efforts like that.

Yep, I noticed the same thing, very lazy and didn't bother chasing or applying pressure. I also think he gets rated too highly on his kicking, as I've said before he's a poor kick at goal particularly for someone who is technically a good kick.

6 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

In: Dunn, Frost, Grimes

Out: Kent, Garland, Bugg

Grimes to play shut down on Boomer

Jetta takes Thomas

Tmac, Frost, Dunn rotating on their talls  but only if Tmac isnt working on Pitrie as the first match up. If it aint broke dont change it other than rotation commitments

It is broke. Last year their talls in the forward line smashed us. When did we last beat north?

Just now, Diamond said:

It is broke. Last year their talls in the forward line smashed us. When did we last beat north?

Yes i meant if that match up is working on the day...don't rotate. I don't need any convincing that we are probably gonna get clobbered. And...i have no idea it's been that long. Maybe we can break a another hoo doo!

39 minutes ago, Diamond said:

Everyones Talls give us trouble, we just continue to hope they dont cannot kick straight on the day... 

9 hours ago, Skuit said:

Pedersen to go back?

Too slow unfortunately. 

We need someone to put Waite off his game. Dunn the obvious choice.

Let the jumper-punches fly!

On 4/3/2016 at 11:44 AM, Optimus D said:

Out:- Anyone

In:- Intent, Effort, Skills, Speed

Optimus we are referring to this weeks match not the opening round circa 2020

Edited by Rusty Nails

I heard a comment by David King during the last qtr that he thought Watts was still suffering from his corky in round 1 which is why he was playing so deep. Surely this can't be the case? 

I doubt Lamumba will be dropped after just one game (although I wish it would happen)

I think the OUTs will be: Harmes, Oliver and the INs will be: Frost, ANB. 

After pulling the trigger too early on Brayshaw, Roos may be a bit apprehensive about bringing back Dunn and will opt for Frost instead.

I've got Harmes out and Kent out. Might be a little harsh on Harmes who improved from round 1.

ANB in as a direct replacement for one, while Brayshaw spends more time forward as well.

As much as I like them, Garland and Pederson haven't had much impact. I agree with the sentiment that our forward line keeps being either empty or too crowded, which makes Pederson redundant for now, and I don't think either of them can effectively go with the likes of Waite or Petrie.

That means bringing in at least Dunn, meaning there's still two spots. One of O.Mac and Frost will have to come in as a tall defender to try to give us options and rotation on North's deadly talls. A bit of extra, effective, speed would help so the likes of Stretch and Hunt come into consideration.

So, in all I've got

OUT: Harmes, Kent, Garland, Pederson.

IN: ANB, Dunn, [one of O.Mac and Frost], and one extra runner (e.g. Hunt or Stretch).

And this is me, the guy who doesn't like to make too many changes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Little Goffy said:

I've got Harmes out and Kent out. Might be a little harsh on Harmes who improved from round 1.

ANB in as a direct replacement for one, while Brayshaw spends more time forward as well.

As much as I like them, Garland and Pederson haven't had much impact. I agree with the sentiment that our forward line keeps being either empty or too crowded, which makes Pederson redundant for now, and I don't think either of them can effectively go with the likes of Waite or Petrie.

That means bringing in at least Dunn, meaning there's still two spots. One of O.Mac and Frost will have to come in as a tall defender to try to give us options and rotation on North's deadly talls. A bit of extra, effective, speed would help so the likes of Stretch and Hunt come into consideration.

So, in all I've got

OUT: Harmes, Kent, Garland, Pederson.

IN: ANB, Dunn, [one of O.Mac and Frost], and one extra runner (e.g. Hunt or Stretch).

And this is me, the guy who doesn't like to make too many changes.

Don't mind it but I struggle to see how these changes might affect the game.

A bit like-for-like.

Edited by McQueen
That said, form is the indicator.

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

Too slow unfortunately. 

We need someone to put Waite off his game. Dunn the obvious choice.

Let the jumper-punches fly!

I was actually thinking Pedo back in conjunction with Dunn's return. I suppose I considered a given. And then assumed he would go to Petrie.

1 hour ago, McQueen said:

Don't mind it but I struggle to see how these changes might affect the game.

A bit like-for-like.

I see your point - I think the key is that I'm kind of shuffling the set-up from one part of the ground to another.

I don't see Dunn as quite the key position role that Pederson or Garland normally take. So in my mind the chosen one of O.Mac/Frost is coming in for the dedicated key position stopper role, while Dunn is taking a more flexible role. At the same time as we are adding an additional tall in defence instead of attack.

Similarly, Kent & Harmes out, with just Neal-Bullen in, is intended to allow more forward time rotation for the mids, with fewer players being primary forwards. And the additional runner (Hunt/Stretch/Whatevs) to mind mind comes in across half-back.

So, area by area -

Nominated forward line is down Pederson, Kent and Harmes, but gains only ANB, So -2 players. from that area of the ground.

Defence replaces an 'insufficiently tall tall' (Garland cannot match up on Petrie or Waite) with an 'actually tall tall', and gains Dunn and an extra HBF.

Result -

A more open forward line for Hogan, Watts and Garlett to play around in.

A better selection of tall defender options, recognising that Waite and Petrie (and history) suggest we will be badly stretched against North's marking.

A bit more run from HB/wing.

Out of form/ineffective players out for credible alternatives coming in.

We were shown up for pace against the Bombers, so against North who are a slower hard-nosed outfit we need to drop some hard nuts and bring in pace to do the same thing to them!  To that end I propose that we bring in Stretch, Hunt and Petracca and shift Garlett to the wing.  We'll rely on Viney, Oliver and Jones to win the ball and get it wide to the quick outside players who will run rings around their slower opponents.  Gawn can ruck solo against Goldstein to show that he really has taken that step up as he said he would.  That means we don't need the extra tall to go as backup ruck so we can include more small pacey players.  Maybe it's time to upgrade Wagner?  Hogan to CHF where he belongs, which will free him up to gather some posessions and use his very nice field kicking to hit up the deep forwards.  He and Watts will both be able to push up and influence the contest at HB and wing.  Frost can sit in the goalsquare and use his atheticism to crash packs and force the ball to ground, maybe even mark a few. 

I tell you, this plan is brilliant!  It can't fail! 

2 minutes ago, RalphiusMaximus said:

We were shown up for pace against the Bombers, so against North who are a slower hard-nosed outfit we need to drop some hard nuts and bring in pace to do the same thing to them!  To that end I propose that we bring in Stretch, Hunt and Petracca and shift Garlett to the wing.  We'll rely on Viney, Oliver and Jones to win the ball and get it wide to the quick outside players who will run rings around their slower opponents.  Gawn can ruck solo against Goldstein to show that he really has taken that step up as he said he would.  That means we don't need the extra tall to go as backup ruck so we can include more small pacey players.  Maybe it's time to upgrade Wagner?  Hogan to CHF where he belongs, which will free him up to gather some posessions and use his very nice field kicking to hit up the deep forwards.  He and Watts will both be able to push up and influence the contest at HB and wing.  Frost can sit in the goalsquare and use his atheticism to crash packs and force the ball to ground, maybe even mark a few. 

I tell you, this plan is brilliant!  It can't fail! 

North are another who are quick on the outside.

Wells Harvey and Atley spread and will kill us. Simply must nulify them.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hells bells said:

Forecast is for 16degrees showers and windy.  If it's wet, going tall may not be the best option.

Yep.  We need runners for heavy conditions. I think the players will get a shock paying on what I expect to be muddy conditions.

We still need Pedo & Hogan Gawn & TMac.  I'd have Frost on emergency.    Would have been good as a Sub..  going in small, but with him as backup.

Pedo could be handy in the mud,  if it gets to that?

So,  our runners...  (mud tractors) A :  NJones, Oliver, Vandenberg, Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Bugg, MJones, Jetta, Lumumba.

(speed,creators, finishers) B :  Vince, Kent, Garlett, Kennedy, Salem, Harmes, Watts.

possible  inclusions  >  ANB, Dunn

Who do you drop for ANB to come in.     & then Dunn?  do you drop Garland?   or a Lamumba?

15 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

Yep.  We need runners for heavy conditions. I think the players will get a shock paying on what I expect to be muddy conditions.

We still need Pedo & Hogan Gawn & TMac.  I'd have Frost on emergency.    Would have been good as a Sub..  going in small, but with him as backup.

Pedo could be handy in the mud,  if it gets to that?

So,  our runners...  (mud tractors) A :  NJones, Oliver, Vandenberg, Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Bugg, MJones, Jetta, Lumumba.

(speed,creators, finishers) B :  Vince, Kent, Garlett, Kennedy, Salem, Harmes, Watts.

possible  inclusions  >  ANB, Dunn

Who do you drop for ANB to come in.     & then Dunn?  do you drop Garland?   or a Lamumba?

I can't remember seeing an AFL grade ground turning to mud for a long time now and I don't think Bellerive oval will do it either.

On 05/04/2016 at 0:02 PM, ArtificialWisdom said:

I dont agree with their philosophy but matchups arnt a thing anymore. Expect Jetta on Petrie and TMac on thomas for much of the day. The theory being that if they put pressure on up the ground the kicks into the oppositions forwardline will be so bad the matchup wont matter (a nice sentiment but i mean seriously)... saturday showed what happens when there is no midfield/forward pressure 14 i50 marks. 

Jetta on Petrie and McDonald on Thomas? I hope you accidentally have that the wrong way around.

• Like 1