Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Post match Discussion "Fire away"

What

1 hour ago, praha said:

And people hounding Hogan, the guy is a one-on-one beast but is absolutely smothered by his dumb teammates flooding their own forward line. He is frustrated and understandably so. CLEAR THE [censored] OUT!

Don't let him off so easily. Unless he was injured and he did go back into the rooms at quarter time, he was pathetic today, in all facets of the game of football.

He has immense talent, but today showed no effort.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Why?  The coaches certainly wouldn't be telling them it will be an easy afternoon.  The coaches can only do so much,

They will take the blame for selection though, no doubt about that.

They've already put their hands up re selection, but equally, from what i can see, most here were more than happy with the selection, and understood the reasoning behind it. Brayshaw was still underdone, though he did seem to get into it a bit more in the last quarter.

Much of it still revolves around what's going on in the players' heads, and while we have plenty of talent, we don't have a lot of maturity and experience, and even less AAA-grade leadership. While I thought Jones and Vince were good, neither are the kinds of Big Game players who can turn a game or lead the way in the way Dangerfield did with Geelong last weekend. I felt Goddard played more of a captain's game today than anyone for the Dees. 

But the players today who most disappointed me were Viney and Gawn. When players like VDB and Hogan have an off-day, I can almost live with it, they're still only second year players. But Viney and Gawn are both further along in their careers and are in the leadership group. They needed to do more, and needed to step up and provide more leadership. To a lesser extent, same could be said for Jack Watts. But the game was lost in the midfield today - they were just left do what they wanted on the outside, and the ball spent much of the time in the Don's half of the field.

So, big disappointment, I thought that these kinds of performances were behind us. But while so much of our success is riding on the back of comparatively inexperienced second and third year players, without a lot of real top end talent or leadership, I'm afraid that for a season or two, these kinds of results will continue to haunt us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JackoTheMuss said:

The word is insulting. An insult to our faith, patience and trust. Someone said earlier they feel lied to - spot on. I'm a steadfast optimist but geez, gotta dig deep now after this embarrassment 

As the sainted Peter Jackson said "the club has lost the trust of its members". He's right, and must be tearing his hair out. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Really disappointing today, the bombers really came to play and we didn't, which is really surprising considering how much we had to play for.

They did their home work on us and played us one on one with ferocious tackling and then spread on the outside and beat us with their pace.

I don't understand the coach saying we are tired , its their job to manage the teams preparation and training them to optimum fitness and readiness to play AFL.

I think we thought it was just going to happen , but it never did.

Big test next week....we better be ready to play.

But did we play them one on one? From what I saw we had a stagnant zone and as soon as they got an overlap they were away. 

• Like 1

I must say I am very [censored] off by Roos' presser.  Reminded me of the Neeld "didn't see it coming" ones.

"Roos said a number of young Demons, including Jack Viney, Angus Brayshaw, Jesse Hogan and Clayton Oliver, looked tired throughout the day, but said there was another batch of players he thought probably underestimated the Dons."

Well, didums.  Some of our guys were tired in round 2!  Less tired than dad's army who had a truncated preseason and a bunch of recruits?  Well, Paul, maybe they need to be managed better!  Tired at round 2!!  FCS how will they be, presuming MFC is still in existence, by round 22?

And as for the batch who underestimated the opposition - well name them, shame them, and send them to Casey for a month.  Unacceptable.  

You and your team have betrayed the trust of the supporter base, and it will be extraordinarily hard to regain it in your final year.  It would takes some extraordinary surprise performances against the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong, West Coast and Freo, but how about starting with bloody Norf next week.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, bush demon said:

Sure sign of our 'culture' is the way we pander to Jesse Hogan. All this love and understanding about putting off his negotiations so he can concentrate on his run-up. Very afraid to say that he is looking like a one-trick, goal square pony. Or maybe just knows this is not the main game, his next contract is. If other less renowned full forwards had put in his non-contests they would have copped their usual spray; Pederson, Watts to name a couple. We should have lost today by 30-40 points. the  ball was just catapaulting off our forward line all afternoon.

In fairness to Hogan, he is still contracted till the end of next year. It is being a little overblown. He is down on form though, if he does keep hanging the head and not following up, he might wish he did sign earlier.

I raised this in the "changes for next week thread" but does Goodwin need to take over now. What else can Roos bring to the table that he hasn't already? 

On game day I want Goody upstairs and Roos on the bench getting in players faces when they come off.

• Like 1

For [censored] sake, I can't even defend the Demons this week on social media and at work.
I have mates snap chatting me them laughing whilst watching the replay.

No other club in the league puts their supporters through the [censored] we have to endure.

• Like 7

Roos has built the list, changed the culture although today disproves that, raised the bar with regards to training and preparation and given the place a professional feel but....

the last two years was all about defence, does he have the tactical nous?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Bit tough calling posters flogs because they were optimistic about a win. If only we all had your wisdom.

There's optimism and then there is the foolhardy nonsense that Dees2014 started in the thread about how many Hoges was going to kick.

Like Leoncelli I thought we were vulnerable to a mental lapse this week. I am surprised that so many are surprised. 

1 minute ago, The Sailing Demon said:

For [censored] sake, I can't even defend the Demons this week on social media and at work.
I have mates snap chatting me them laughing whilst watching the replay.

No other club in the league puts their supporters through the [censored] we have to endure.

Again, all things considered arguably the worst loss in the games history. 

We are a mess.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

And you were telling all us throughout the game to stop whinging because eventually we will win. You look just as silly as do most of us so don't try and act as if your the perfect supporter yourself.

Some of us vent through sheer frustration because of the same [censored] dished up for the last 10. We should be in a position now to comfortably knock sides like Essendon off but no its still typical Melbourne same old. 

Sick of idiots on here calling other supporters out here for being purely frustrated for what we dished up today.

Absolutely I was.  I didn't tell anyone to stop whinging either, just that I still believed we could win.  I didn't quote anyone or knock anyone.

You comment about Gawn was garbage, frustration or not.  Be frustrated, be angry, be whatever you want.  But direct it at the right people and for the right reasons.  To suggest Gawn is now 'lazy' due to his 'juicy contract' as you put it is pretty low and completely wrong - and you know.  

I'm disappointed that I was wrong about my belief in the team today, and you've every right to be angry about our performance, but to attack Gawn like that was poor.

• Like 1

Im hurting as much as anyone...and angry. But I DO have to admit the bombers played a good brand footy and, like it or not, will beat quite a few sides this year I reckon. Its just horrible right now as we were the first.

Why we couldnt stop them breaking us open is a mystery and I want to put some heat on the coaches for that . That and why we still seem to lack run and cohesion is another one that has got to go to the coaches. Essendon played a WAY better brand of footy than we did, I just dont see how they managed to look so cohesive and slick when they're stil getting to know each other when we looked pretty much like we always look...confused going forward and revert to bombing it long to one against 4 contest. No one in OUR team reads lumumbas runs for example ...its like we're still suprised but hes been doing it for over a year now. So many platers look overly beefed up, tired, slow and out of position today. Painful

20 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

It all comes down to effort with MFC, as soon as Tom McDonalds press conference was released on Thursday and he mentioned going 2-0 for the season I knew we were in trouble, got ahead of them selves...

lesson to be learnt. 

Amusingly I thought the exact same thing. Immediately after that press conference and the questions about winning 2 in a row, this deep pit of despair formed in my stomach. Maybe Dees supporters just have a sixth sense after all?

• Like 1

The great disappointment is not that we were beaten by Essendon, it's that we got ourselves into a winning position in the final quarter (against the flow) and were unable to go on with it. If there weren't so many passengers we would have got up for an ugly win. I think the Bombers have done quite well with their top-up. Our opponents today had 310 more games experience, not to mention finals experience! Both teams had 7 players who have played less than 30 games. All the predictions of Bombers demise ("they won't win a game" - King!) are blind to the quality they have been allowed to bring onto the list. No excuses for us, we were very ordinary... nowhere near winning 10 games in 2016.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hogan2014 said:

Why can the Bulldogs front up each week ready to play with a list similar to ours in terms of experience... 

You mean the team we beat last year at the G? Once they leave Etihad their shine wears off, although they are clearly, inexplicably, miles beyond us as far as cohesive teams go.

The arrogance of the team in thinking they didn't have to work hard to beat the Bombers was matched by the arrogance of many on here who talked about how much we'd win by and how many Hogan would kick.

Getting ahead of ourselves. Underestimated a Bomber outfit that was by no means a 'Dads Army' and provided more pressure, more run and more skill.

• Like 5

Just now, mauriesy said:

The arrogance of the team in thinking they didn't have to work hard to beat the Bombers was matched by the arrogance of many on here who talked about how much we'd win by and how many Hogan would kick.

Getting ahead of ourselves. Underestimated a Bomber outfit that was by no means a 'Dads Army' and provided more pressure, more run and more skill.

The same posters who heckled down others for even suggesting we could lose to their VFL top-ups, even after last year's NAB cup loss. The laughable arrogance of expecting to win before the match even started, for a team that simply does not deserve to have any arrogance. Today was the result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdamFarr said:

Does he need to say this in public? Maybe. But you can bet he's saying it behind closed doors...

Not so sure he is saying it behind closed doors Adam. Bit too "matter of fact" for my liking.

That was a rare opportunity for the club to really get some momentum happening and they (the FD & playing group) blew it. Losing comes too easily for the MFC (Roos & HIS playing group) for my liking. Not the sort of culture that's going to make any club successful (either on or off the field). There is something drastically NQR at this club. I thought Roos was going to change that significantly but after today's effort on the field and his response in that presser i'm not so sure anymore. I realise alot of coaches are made to look good by great leaders/players and team efforts on the field but it's a 2 way thing and it starts from the top.

I appreciate what Roos has achieved so far but also hoping we see a different attitude brought to the table once Goody officially takes over the reigns. Not suggesting Barassi type sprays (via media) either but Roos is just too laid back and IMO it shows on the field. We just don't bring a "killer/hunter" attitude to any game for long enough to really put any team to the sword convincingly.

Edited by Rusty Nails

19 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

The same posters who heckled down others for even suggesting we could lose to their VFL top-ups, even after last year's NAB cup loss. The laughable arrogance of expecting to win before the match even started, for a team that simply does not deserve to have any arrogance. Today was the result.

We should be arrogant about games like this, and we should shout down people who suggested we could lose. 

Then our bloody team should have gone out and facking torn them a new one.

We will never get anywhere until we expect to win games like that, and our players demand of each other that they deliver.

'Will we, won't we' just shouldn't even be a discussion.

• Like 2