Changes vs Essendon

jumbo returns

3 hours ago, Ted Fidge said:

Next week is an opportunity to get some extra game time into Frost and OMac.

They need development and time on field, let's give them another chance to show what they've got (or not).

Even if OMac wasn't injured he's not good enough to warrant a spot in the seniors to get that experience.

He was completely lost yesterday and, unfortunately, is a liability at this point. He needs to go back to Casey (upon returning from injury) and get confidence in his bodywork and his positioning. Yesterday was just nowhere. I don't mind, he's a kid playing KPD, but we are at the point now where we shouldn't be carrying kids in the seniors simply to give them experience.

1 hour ago, ENYAW said:

No need to make changes unless someone is injured. Need to get more games into some players. This will benefit the club.

Not this year. 

When Brayshaw is fit, even if we're coming off a win he comes back into the side.

Good sides drop players from winning teams to make the team stronger.

We had weak links yesterday (Harmes, Bugg, Tyson, Frost) at any rate.

• Like 3

As some one else stated, just because we are saying drop this player for this doesn't mean we are writing them off for their career.

But if Brayshaw is fit he gets a game, he is better than at least 6 who played on the weekend, and some times players miss out even if they played ok. 

Dunn comes in for Omac.

• Like 2

I'm not sure Angus and Lumumba are ready. Can't afford to carry guys when Oliver is still building his engine and some of our other guys (Kent, Pedo) struggled to run the game out due to cramp or fatigue.

If they are 100% then bring them in, if not give them one more week.

Dunn for Omac for me is the only change I can see happening.

If Angus of H are ready, maybe Harmes makes way.

• Like 2

No need for wholesale changes after a win. That can occur if we put in a poor performance against Essendon.

in - Dunn

out O Mac

If Garlett is suspended, perhaps JKH as a direct replacement.

Im petrified about this game. We have a 2-8 record against bottom 5 sides under Roos, which has been one of the disappointments of his tenure. It's just the sort of game we drop.

13 hours ago, Curry & Beer said:

it's been nearly 12 years since we won a game by 100 points+

And It's also been just 4 rounds since we lost to last years wooden spooners. Massive danger game if we don't come focussed, which seems to repeatedly happen when we play bottom sides.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

Brayshaw comes in, that's a certainty, Matt Jones would be most likely dropped and he should feel like he didn't do too much wrong. 

O'Mac on crutches at the end of the game, I'd be very surprised if he got up/club would rush him. Dunn is the most logical replacement unless we look at a reshuffle with Pedo/Frost rotating in the backline and we bring in a forward. Lumumba would surely be in consideration as well. 

Whatever happens I just want Daniher to be goalless, I still can't believe both he and Cloke kicked accrurately against us last year!

Choosing who has to be left out and who stays is like choosing between your children.

I love them all the same.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pates said:

Whatever happens I just want Daniher to be goalless, I still can't believe both he and Cloke kicked accrurately against us last year!

Daniher was 1.8 in the four matches leading up to our encounter last year. And to add insult to injury, Cloke kicks 7.0 against us the following week. 

So 12.0 in two weeks by the two most inaccurate forwards in the league.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

No need for wholesale changes after a win. That can occur if we put in a poor performance against Essendon.

in - Dunn

out O Mac

If Garlett is suspended, perhaps JKH as a direct replacement.

Im petrified about this game. We have a 2-8 record against bottom 5 sides under Roos, which has been one of the disappointments of his tenure. It's just the sort of game we drop.

JKH...Can't seem to remember who he is.

Jokes aside though, if Garlett gets a week (Which I think is highly unlikely) Brayshaw will slot straight in.

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Don't know about petrified, but it's not a walk in the park, agree one of the disappointments last couple of years, we don't go hard enough in some games

On 26 March 2016 at 8:56 AM, Nasher said:

Matt Jones on current form is cemented 22 - I don't think his name should have even appeared in this thread to be honest. 

The only players who need to watch over their shoulders at this stage are Harmes, Bugg, OMac and one of Frost/Pedersen in my opinion. 

jones was good on the weekend but isn't in a fully fit Melbourne side. Gus, trac, HL and trengove will force him out. 

Has it over grimes, ANL, harmes and stretch for the moment. 

12 hours ago, Adzman said:

I'm not sure Angus and Lumumba are ready. Can't afford to carry guys when Oliver is still building his engine and some of our other guys (Kent, Pedo) struggled to run the game out due to cramp or fatigue.

If they are 100% then bring them in, if not give them one more week.

Dunn for Omac for me is the only change I can see happening.

If Angus of H are ready, maybe Harmes makes way.

Brayshaw had a complete pre season. The fact that he was out for 3 weeks doesn't negate 6 months worth of work.

no reason to hold him off this week. 

I think we should make minimal changes, however I don't think we need to play Pedersen and Frost with both Hogan and Watts also in the forward line. 

I'd therefore go with the following:

Out: O Mac (inj), Pedersen

In: Dunn, Brayshaw

Will give us an extra mid for this week which I think we will need with a number of players likely being a bit tired after the first full game.

• Like 2

Our forward line was way to crowded. Pedo/Frost for Brayshaw

Our forward line operates well when hogan has space in 1 on ones and on the lead. Not bombing it and hoping he can clunk it over a pack.

Occy for Dunn too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

You're not the slightest bit nervous given our recent history of games we've gone in heavy favourites as.

I'll admit to being the slightest bit nervous. I'm a lot less so given we got the Round 1 win on the board but this has to qualify as a danger game given our recent history.

Last year we lost to Essendon in the middle of what turned out to be a 12-game losing streak for them. We also lost to Carlton who won the wooden spoon. We also played quite poorly against Brisbane (just one goal in the second half).

This week is all about the start I think. If we start well and get a solid break on them early, I'm confident that the gap between the teams could see the margin blow out. But I'm certain Essendon is treating this game as one of the 2 or 3 it has a chance of winning this year and will throw everything at us to try to get the win so if we let them jump us at the start, I expect to be nervous all game.

1 hour ago, bandicoot said:

Brayshaw had a complete pre season. The fact that he was out for 3 weeks doesn't negate 6 months worth of work.

no reason to hold him off this week. 

Brayshaw trained the whole time. Just no contact or kicking I believe...

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

I'll admit to being the slightest bit nervous. I'm a lot less so given we got the Round 1 win on the board but this has to qualify as a danger game given our recent history.

Last year we lost to Essendon in the middle of what turned out to be a 12-game losing streak for them. We also lost to Carlton who won the wooden spoon. We also played quite poorly against Brisbane (just one goal in the second half).

This week is all about the start I think. If we start well and get a solid break on them early, I'm confident that the gap between the teams could see the margin blow out. But I'm certain Essendon is treating this game as one of the 2 or 3 it has a chance of winning this year and will throw everything at us to try to get the win so if we let them jump us at the start, I expect to be nervous all game.

Yes, need to assert ourselves early. will be pleasantly surprised with anything over a 5 goal win though, smashing sides is just not what we do. Last year we just seemed to be trying to save the game from the start

While Roos may not like changing a winning team we need to be able to continue to upgrade out team and not settle for second best. Yes we won, but quite frankly there were two quarters in that game that we played poorly, if the GWS had kicked straight then how many changes would we have made. We need to make sure we replace those that do not play up to the level expected with those available who can improve us. 

We need Dunn to help take care of daniher and keep him goaless if possible. We had too many talls all standing around together last week which made it hard for Hogan and all the forwards. We need to bring in Petraca or Angus. I would play up forward and rotate on the ball. Watts to play CHF and give all the forwards except the crumbers instructions to continue to lead wide and up the ground away from Hogan to give him space or to be another option if the defenders decide to double or triple tag Hogan. So Frost or Pederson probably has to go, that does leave us pretty exposed in the ruck division when Gawn is resting.

I'm surprised at the almost universal support to bring Dunn in for O McD. I'm struggling to work out why he wasn't in the team in the first place. If he was injured, why name him as an emergency? Conversely, if he was fit and not named, I wonder whether there's another reason for his absence. Given we were clearly too tall in the forward half, Dunn will have to be picked ahead of Pedersen or Frost. My guess is Pedersen will play in defence, Frost forward and relief ruckman and Dunn not at all. Brayshaw then comes in. The only other change I could see is Lumumba for one of Bugg or Harmes if Lumumba is ready.

So, for me:

Out: O Mac, maybe Harmes (or Garlett if suspended)

In: Brayshaw, maybe Lumumba

Mr titan-Uranus , good teams drop players from winning sides. We are not in the the same class as Hawthorn,Swans,West Coast so dropping players after a first round win may be futile. The problem I have is that people like the Brayshaw's is lack of match practice,those that were the so called underachieves could do with more experience and what is a better way to get it is against Essendon. I cannot understand why does the VFL start two weeks after the AFL. The WAFL starts before the AFL season which should an advantage to Freo and W.Coast. Why does the development league also start late?. In four rounds of the Dev. League three teams have byes,surely two teams can play each other.