NAB Challenge Aftermath

Demonland

5 hours ago, Demonland said:

SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL by Whispering Jack

Since time immemorial, pre season practice matches, be they the intraclub variety or contests between clubs played for trophies or otherwise, have always needed to be looked at with a dose of skepticism.

Fair enough. And a win's not important in the scheme of things. However, in this case I beg to differ. For this group this win can't be underestimated. 

What value do you put on "belief". How could they not come away from that game and not be thinking, Jeez this stuff we've worked on for this entire bloody summer works.......and I/we can do it. 

When do you think the last time was that they came away from the start of the season thinking that. 

Key Factors for me :-

1. As many others have said "competitiveness". But most importantly competitiveness when they were blown out of the contest and used it to get back in. That's a step up.

2. Fitness = running capacity=running to space to create options.  Was expecting to see this from what I'd read coaches etc saying in the pre season but jeez it's a pleasant surprise to have it confirmed. Saw more of this than I have in a very very long time.

3. Injuries.  With our best 22 or close to it on the park (surely we area about due), we could do some real damage this season.

Everyone else has covered anything I'd have to say about individual players. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, djr said:

How do you know Goodwin fired them up. He doesn't come across as that type of coach. It appeared to me that the endeavour was there in the first half but the game plan was not been adhered to. I would have thought he would have pointed that out and urged them to take on their opponents and run while other team mates man up defensively.

What type of coach does he come across as? He's had 1 game, I thought it would be too early to form an opinion either way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old dee said:

"these games are practice matches after all and we can't get carried away - yet. "

For  a decade we have been the chopping block of the AFL.

This season we finally have a reasonable list with some depth and IMO we will win 10 games.

In past times yesterday would have been a 8-10 goal win by Port.

But this time we fought back and won.

It is the first sign that 2016 is going to be a much more enjoyable year.

Guess what WJ I can get carried away.

don't get too carried away OD,   oh,  & stay away from those little blue pills.. they can make you dangerous. :pj:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, old dee said:

WJ  as you I know I tell it as I see it and for most of the last  decade we have not had an AFL standard list and it has not been hard to see.

It has stood out like a beacon that in past years we were not going anywhere fast.

However that has changed we are now half decent list.

We wont make the eight this year but we are not going to be the league easy beats in 2016.

Melbourne Football Club players attend a press conference where Club President Jim Stynes announced that he will be taking a break from the position as he receives treatment for cancer, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on July 2, 2009 in Melbourne, Australia.

Not sure where to put this article so here will have to do http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-season-2016-development-programs-becoming-the-best-route-to-an-afl-premiership-20160226-gn4x7c.html

I think we all know that FA's and players look at facilities and development programs before moving clubs or going to so called 'destination clubs'.  I doubt any of us think we are such a club (yet).  So I take with a grain of salt this comment by the writer, Jon Pierik:  The Demons, for instance, are a "destination" club again, due in part to their development system.

Top 4 clubs will generally be the most attractive. 

Nonetheless, it is good that mfc is starting to be linked to the words 'destination club'.  If our development is top notch it will help player retention as well as attract players.  We are slowly getting off the bottom rungs of the ladder, in more ways than one!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, djr said:

How do you know Goodwin fired them up. He doesn't come across as that type of coach. It appeared to me that the endeavour was there in the first half but the game plan was not been adhered to. I would have thought he would have pointed that out and urged them to take on their opponents and run while other team mates man up defensively.

6 Goals to Zip tells me the players got rebooted...

• Like 1

This is an exchange I had with a mad Power supporting mate of mine once the final siren blew. He was gearing up to watch it 2pm WA time..

image.png

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

I love mounting a come from behind victory. Gets me very excited. 

Surprised you remember what it's like Moonie.

• Like 1

Melbourne... Destination club....

Had to reread that a few times lol

Someone actually put that in print !!!

Next thing you'll know they'll talk about "window" and 'clock'; all without laughing or sneering !!

Brave new world 

• Like 2

Lots has already been written but key things for me aside from the obvious performances of Gawn, Viney and Vanders.

• The most obvious improvement was players being on the move at a stoppage and not just the target player for the tap but those swarming around. We also finally appear to understand that loopy handballs aren't the preferred execution.
  • I know its a practice match but the games of much maligned players in Matt Jones (made good decision and execution) and Jack Watts (consistent second efforts both offensively and defensively) need more call out than they have had.
  • Ben Kennedy is more a mid than a small forward. Looked a lot better when given freedom to roam in the second half. 
  • Pederson ahead in the Pedo/Frost second tall spot. Whilst great athletically Frost lacks all game sense to play forward (although I am sure he will improve).
  • I was really disappointed in Salem's game who I have very high expectations of. His defensive positioning was poor on numerous occasions and he did not work hard enough to make options offensively.
  • Really wanted one of Wagner or Hunt to own the other back flank. Neither really did it for me yesterday nor were they bad. Hoping one really puts it together over the coming fortnight as there is a spot there for the taking. Getting that spot right will allow us to not just drive attacks from the stoppage but from the back half as well.
  • Oliver's class in traffic and hardness at the ball and man showed why he was taken so early. Any doubts people had should already be removed based on that showing.
  • It was great to see when Goodwin was interviewed at the half that the items he said we needed to refine we actually refined. 
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Yes. Usually the underdog that never gets a sniff.

6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Yes. Usually the underdog that never gets a sniff.

Bet you were as happy as a dog with two bones. 

Every dog has it's day.

4 hours ago, Demonland said:

SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL by Whisper

I will not therefore allow myself to get too carried away with Melbourne's big second half effort to defeat Port Adelaide 0.15.5.95 to 1.10.7.76 in its opening NAB Challenge match of 2016.

A beautifully constructed piece as always Jack, you certainly can put together a wonderful summary.  Thanks.

I also admire your self control.  I find optimism, excitement and "getting too carried away" emotions that are difficult to control particularly after your team has done so well.  And I'll take any joy I can find after 10 years or so of crud.

Let's hope you can get carried away after the GWS game!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Thanks, bloody typical....I had to work yesterday and only caught about a qtr and a half in the radio. Was wishfully thinking there might be one on this afternoon. Pub won't be open at ten....think it's time to get Foxtel.

24 hours after game time, AFL smartphone app allows replays anytime at your leisure. Watched it live and watching replay now. Think what you'll save on beer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olgreybeard49 said:

24 hours after game time, AFL smartphone app allows replays anytime at your leisure. Watched it live and watching replay now. Think what you'll save on beer. 

If we continue to play like this I'd consider trading in the beer for Foxtel.

Well, maybe not.....

Yep, as a keen Demon fan, I would not be without my AFL pass.  Just got back from an away break and plugged the computer in to watch the whole replay at my leisure.  Money well spent.  Sadly can't do anything about Dwayno though ... what a [censored].(another word for a rooster)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peter Griffen said:

interesting to see how we go with the 90 interchange cap

I'm not sure that will be an issue as we are not likely to encounter summer conditions like those yesterday, during the season.  Why expose your players to the possibility of heat exhaustion at this time of year... Port were proof that it wasn't a wise move on their part to restrict interchanges in these conditions.

• Like 1