NAB Challenge Aftermath

Demonland

I'm watching the replay of the 3rd quarter. 

The standout feature so far has been smart footy outside of the packs. Not always clean and perfect, but when we've got the ball players are running to space and moving the ball on, when we don't have the ball players are finding opponents and reading the play ahead of time to cover off each other. 

It's no longer mad chooks running around after the player with the ball. Play A will move up to pressure, player B will notice this and go cover the next player in the chain and so on and so on.

Sounds simple, but it's a huge change from what we've been lacking and it comes about from having a group buy in to chase and pressure not just individuals. More overall speed certainly doesn't hurt either!

• Like 4

On 28 February 2016 at 8:56 AM, big_red_fire_engine said:

Lots has already been written but key things for me aside from the obvious performances of Gawn, Viney and Vanders.

• The most obvious improvement was players being on the move at a stoppage and not just the target player for the tap but those swarming around. We also finally appear to understand that loopy handballs aren't the preferred execution.
  • I know its a practice match but the games of much maligned players in Matt Jones (made good decision and execution) and Jack Watts (consistent second efforts both offensively and defensively) need more call out than they have had.
  • Ben Kennedy is more a mid than a small forward. Looked a lot better when given freedom to roam in the second half. 
  • Pederson ahead in the Pedo/Frost second tall spot. Whilst great athletically Frost lacks all game sense to play forward (although I am sure he will improve).
  • I was really disappointed in Salem's game who I have very high expectations of. His defensive positioning was poor on numerous occasions and he did not work hard enough to make options offensively.
  • Really wanted one of Wagner or Hunt to own the other back flank. Neither really did it for me yesterday nor were they bad. Hoping one really puts it together over the coming fortnight as there is a spot there for the taking. Getting that spot right will allow us to not just drive attacks from the stoppage but from the back half as well.
  • Oliver's class in traffic and hardness at the ball and man showed why he was taken so early. Any doubts people had should already be removed based on that showing.
  • It was great to see when Goodwin was interviewed at the half that the items he said we needed to refine we actually refined. 

Interesting to read your observations on Salem.  Was that watching live or on TV?  Poor defensive positioning meaning wrong side of his opponent or trailing him?  

On 27 February 2016 at 6:43 AM, Sir Why You Little said:

Goodwin fired them up after a very poor start

That was the best part of yesterday

A practise game yes

Practise Winning...

I also read that the acting captain gave them a serve at the end of the half time break.   Good to hear that there is some leadership out there.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deestar9 said:

Pederson gives his all but he is a dumb footballer.....not much footy nous.   Dawes any day for me.....may not be the best mark but great kick for goal & reads the play beautifully.......has had to hold our forward line together many times & I would love to see him play in a functioning forward line where he just plays his role.

If Dawes reads the play so well he should become a commentator. Yes, he is not the best mark agreed.  But he also kicked for goals at about once a match on average last season and was at less than 50% accuracy (not including total shanks).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, old dee said:

The Prince is a long way from playing in the seniors and by the time he gets to that level of fitness he will IMO have trouble getting a spot.

Not what Misson is saying (re fitness).

Re his spot, I'd wait and see. Going on last year's form, perhaps, but it would appear that he had ongoing injury issues that couldn't have helped. He was good enough to play in a premiership, and at 29 still has a bit of mileage left, so if he can get back to something close to "in form", he would have a place. Let's remember also that the alternative is probably one of Wagner, White, Hunt or Terlich.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DeeZee said:

His intent was there and he chased very hard....but he definately looks harder at the contest this year.

He made some pretty serious angry faces while in pursuit on Saturday. I'm not sure though if these were just run-of-the-mill grimaces in the heat.

49 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Interesting to read your observations on Salem.  Was that watching live or on TV?  Poor defensive positioning meaning wrong side of his opponent or trailing him?  

Mon, I wrote this over on the game day as an at ground level perspective;

Dispatch from the ground for Pineapple Dee.

Salem was pushing up from half-back to our forward-half contests early but otherwise holding back (not sure if this was in relation to opponent or not) - after the quarter break especially so; in an old school sweeper role to stem the circa 98'-alike Power kicking cheap goals over the top. Seemed to be coasting a bit today but lost track of him after half time.

I should add that at times he even looked a little lost, as if following new instructions rather than instinct.

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

They pointed it out on TV with one of boak's goals, Salem let him get goal side at the stoppage far too easily. You could tell he realized his mistake straight away, I'm sure he'll learn from it. I thought his ball use was great but noticed poor positioning a couple of times. Overall he played really well IMO and will only get better at the defensive stuff I'm sure.  

Edited by thevil1

5 hours ago, monoccular said:

I also read that the acting captain gave them a serve at the end of the half time break.   Good to hear that there is some leadership out there.  

Interesting indeed. I made exactly the same observation with my one and only training report. There the coaches were incessantly telling Salem to position himself. At the time I questioned his concentration/fitness.

29 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

oh ffs dazzle we understand your position on Dawes

And it obviously annoys you because the reality is that his body is just about shot? 

Don't see how thats not hard to understand..

I watched the whole game and Pedersen is so far in front of Dawes its not funny. Not only was he good up forward when he gave Gawn a chop out i actually couldn't believe he was leaping over Lobbe and winning some ruck contests.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

And it obviously annoys you because the reality is that his body is just about shot? 

I watched the whole game and Pedersen is so far in front of Dawes its not funny. Not only was he good up forward when he gave Gawn a chop out i actually couldn't believe he was leaping over Lobbe and winning some ruck contests.

You have my vote dd.

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

It's just petty and weird you have to slam him every time his name is mentioned, as if you are his self-appointed smear-campaigner

11 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

It's just petty and weird you have to slam him every time his name is mentioned, as if you are his self-appointed smear-campaigner

I dont slam as hard as you think. I just dont rate him as a footballer and believe Pedersen adds more as that Forward/ruckman that we need.

I was upset that he got injured again because i want him to prove me wrong but its fair to say his body is ready to shut up shop.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I dont slam as hard as you think. I just dont rate him as a footballer and believe Pedersen adds more as that Forward/ruckman that we need.

I was upset that he got injured again because i want him to prove me wrong but its fair to say his body is ready to shut up shop.  

it just IS unfortunately.    I think Chris would need  Bradbury's luck to get a game in the seniors this year. But he might.

I rate Dawes in terms of his 'footy nouse'   . His marking does let him down.  

I think other players will pass him by.  Thats footy

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Deestar9 said:

Pederson gives his all but he is a dumb footballer.....not much footy nous.   Dawes any day for me.....may not be the best mark but great kick for goal & reads the play beautifully.......has had to hold our forward line together many times & I would love to see him play in a functioning forward line where he just plays his role.

One is ready to play and worked his way into the game on the weekend, took some nice marks, kicked a couple of goals and helped out in the ruck. Had quite a good preseason so far and is in a good place.

The other guy is injured and can't seem to make it past the recovery group at training.

It would appear our preferences are moot.

#pedofacts

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

Anyone else have a chuckle at Kento dropping the f bomb?

And he dropped the mark.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ManDee said:

And he dropped the mark.

I dropped the F word when he dropped the ball !! lol

• Like 2

On a slight side note, I just registered as a MFC member to get my assured entry to the Crazyburn game against the Bullies this weekend. Article on MFC website recommended doing this, as the ground can only hold 15 crackheads and a handful of pawnbroker shop scouts. Ticketec rort $5 for the registration and $3.50 for the privilege of printing the pass off at home. So much for free entry for club members.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

On a slight side note, I just registered as a MFC member to get my assured entry to the Crazyburn game against the Bullies this weekend. Article on MFC website recommended doing this, as the ground can only hold 15 crackheads and a handful of pawnbroker shop scouts. Ticketec rort $5 for the registration and $3.50 for the privilege of printing the pass off at home. So much for free entry for club members.

Mobile Meth Labs parked around the boundry...

• Like 2