NATIONAL DRAFT PICKS 3 & 7

Lucifers Hero

Parish is a more talented player

Oliver is the one you'd dread playing against

Parish = Sam Mitchell/Luke Shuey

Oliver = Dangerfield/Viney

Dilemma

I just want both...unlikely I know........sigh

Say we go Oliver at pick 3, and by some miracle both Parish or Weiderman are there at 7 would we go the two mids, or the forward

I would go the mids and give Watts a nice cup of concrete to play as a forward.

Pros and cons as i see it for both

Oliver..

1. Contested ball beast, wins clearances, could easily be a Cripps or Wines type player who should have an impact right away

2. there was a knock that he might have been a bit slack early this year, he's turned that around which shows great character

3. he's certainly got some leadership potential

4. fits the direction the interchange cap is going to take the game i believe

5. finals-type player.

Parish

1. Dual All Australian, proven performer over a long period of time.

2. brilliant decision making that is damaging and opens up the game for his team

3. very good on field personality/leader

4. adds a point of difference to our midfield and adds the pace and class we seriously lack

5. a great mix of inside and outside, probably the more balanced mid of the two

both imo are going to be good players.

Further pros for both players is performance in TAC finals. Whilst Oliver didn't make it for Vic Country this year, he was amongst Murray's best players in their two finals. Both were hard fought games. I rate performance in finals almost as highly as rep football performances, and Oliver was good in these games.

Parish was very good in one final and a bit quieter in the second (although he had a few mates in that regard) but still solid.

• Like 2

Late mail from Twoomey, Landburger, Qualye, and Andersen. Oliver at 3 with Weid firming for 7. Now they aren't getting it from the Dees. I think it was Sam on Twitter who's said his sources seem to think Dees take Oliver. Think these sources are the Dons as he and other are sold on Francis at 5 and one of Parish/Oliver at 4. If we do something different who knows what happens

Late mail from Twoomey, Landburger, Qualye, and Andersen. Oliver at 3 with Weid firming for 7. Now they aren't getting it from the Dees. I think it was Sam on Twitter who's said his sources seem to think Dees take Oliver. Think these sources are the Dons as he and other are sold on Francis at 5 and one of Parish/Oliver at 4. If we do something different who knows what happens

They have all been guessing. Anderson had us taking Curnow at 3 for weeks and it turned out it was based on no more than a hunch. I like that there has been no leaks. Still think we take Parish at 3.

wouldn't surprise me if this was another essendon/media plot to get parish to essendrugs

media love essendon and think we are not worth consideration

wouldn't surprise me if this was another essendon/media plot to get parish to essendrugs

media love essendon and think we are not worth consideration

We're not talking to them whereas Essendon are. I know I'd be reporting on Essendon instead. Plus Oliver at 3 is great for headlines. He'll have his own miniseries before he plays a game.

I'm coming around to the idea of Oliver at 3. I still have a gut feel it will be Weiderman, but will be happy to have 2 new players on our list by 6:45 and another 2 by 8pm. Got to say though this has been the toughest draft to predict since I dont know when. So up in the air, so much rumour. I've heard everything from Ah Chee at 6 down to 20 something. Same with Balic. Same with Collins. I'd love to see a list of each club's top 20 and see how different it is.

Taylor and Mahoney have both said they did the upgrade deal because it delivered two picks inside the top 10 which was the strategy over the past couple of years and this year for the last time. I'm prepared to accept that at face value. So maybe pick 3 is open to the later more intense drafting meetings they talked about.

I've only seen highlight clips which I don't rate other than the fact that they do show body types. From what I've seen and read it sounds like Parish is the more skilled of the two players whereas Oliver has a better AFL suited body but may not be as elite skilled.

Parish's body type reminds me of Scully, Toumpas and Aish. Also Murphy & Cotchin who have done well but you wouldn't say are match winners.

So would it be fair to say that there is an element of risk picking Parish in that his future depends on him developing an AFL midfielders body whereas, Oliver is less of a risk because he is already well on the way to having that type of body but the downside is that he may never have as elite skills as Parish.

If that was the scenario, I'd probably lean towards Oliver after having been so recently burned by Toumpas and Scully has never developed into the player I thought we were getting when he was drafted.

We're not talking to them whereas Essendon are. I know I'd be reporting on Essendon instead. Plus Oliver at 3 is great for headlines. He'll have his own miniseries before he plays a game.

I'm coming around to the idea of Oliver at 3. I still have a gut feel it will be Weiderman, but will be happy to have 2 new players on our list by 6:45 and another 2 by 8pm. Got to say though this has been the toughest draft to predict since I dont know when. So up in the air, so much rumour. I've heard everything from Ah Chee at 6 down to 20 something. Same with Balic. Same with Collins. I'd love to see a list of each club's top 20 and see how different it is.

They have to talk about something to the media...not allowed into the CAS hearing.

I would go the mids and give Watts a nice cup of concrete to play as a forward.

If this was the coaching group's solution to Hogan's forward partner for the long term, I think Jesse would just tell them he would rather do it on his own.

I reckon improving the quality of the supply to Jesse is more important right now then fighting him a partner, hitting him on the chest he's going to be a 70 plus goal forward as soon as next year imo, Dawes and Pedo aren't stars but they're good enough to drag a defender off him

• Like 2

I reckon improving the quality of the supply to Jesse is more important right now then fighting him a partner, hitting him on the chest he's going to be a 70 plus goal forward as soon as next year imo, Dawes and Pedo aren't stars but they're good enough to drag a defender off him

They're not unfortunately.

The Oppo worked out pretty early on the Hogan was the only real threat (along with his mate Garlett) and he was having to work extra hard for his kicks. He's up for it but we will be a much better unit if we can spread the load.

• Like 5

Scully vs Tapscot

Parish vs Oliver

Please let this be over soon so I can start telling the club off for choosing the wrong one

• Like 4

It is expected that we will nominate Callum Mills as our first pick and the Swans will match it. if in the unlikely chance that Sydney do not match it how good is Mills compared to Parish or Oliver? Would we be over the moon if the cards fell this way? It would also provide an additional player to choose from at P7.

It is expected that we will nominate Callum Mills as our first pick and the Swans will match it. if in the unlikely chance that Sydney do not match it how good is Mills compared to Parish or Oliver? Would we be over the moon if the cards fell this way? It would also provide an additional player to choose from at P7.

YES

Life would be a heck of a lot easier if Mills and Hopper were free for us to pick. They are both better mids IMO then Parish/Oliver.

Edited by mongrel
  • Like 2

Mills is a gun mate, i'd take him over any other player in this draft but Weitering.

This year the first round feels so open that i'm struggling to find a particular combination of players that I would prefer to fall to our picks. It probably adds an extra element of excitement and mystery for tomorrow night as the top 10 is usually largely known in order with accurate phantom drafts from Quayle and Twomey. Perhaps that will yet be the case but it feels different. Regardless, I'm just happy that I can trust the recruiting department to find us two quality best 22 players that will hopefully play 200+ games for us plus some later draft gems.