Trade Radio Discussion

What

He is delightfully untrustworthy.

I think he's probably telling the truth this time though. Suspect they've had a killer few days.

He apologised for being a bit grumpy last time he was on SEN.

The Howe/GCS deal was probably a bit of a blindside, and the resurrection of the GCS/picks deal would have been a bit of a head[censored].

• Like 2

Getting Parish at pick 3 and if we can just snag Charlie Curnow or Weideman at 7, we have done really well imo. They both look great,

Weideman has had season affecting injuries last season and the season before, but looks to be most imposing of the tall forwards or key position players, he's got a fairly big body and is strong, he takes marks, crashes packs and kicks goals. 196cm and 94kg.

Charlie Curnow broke down with a knee injury and was unable to complete a full U-18 season, but seems like a very athletic player, he ran 14.5 in the beep test and a 10:24 time in the 3K, I think if we could pick me up at 7, it's an absolute bargain, to have a key forward up there with Hogan or he could even turn into a big bodied midfielder like a Petracca. He's 191cm and 96kg, seems like a great option if he isn't gone by 7.

Aaron Francis also in the mix, but isn't as athletic as a Curnow, needs some work on his agility a little bit, yet has key essentials for a key position forward

Today should be a lesson for those who wanted to do the trades early and for those who continually wanted to play hard ball.

MFC and GWS clearly had a plan from the beginning of trade period to use the system to benefit both parties. They were prepared to do this because of a trust between the parties. This trust was also evident in the initial GCS trade.

Playing hard ball only puts people off side. MFC with Mahoney and Roos have built a reputation of being sensible to deal with and trustworthy. We have clearly worked on outcomes that are "win win" which is the key to all successful negotiations.

Well done MFC. Let's hope the posters who shot off at the mouth learn from this. I'm so sick of blokes coming out slagging decisions and then saying "I'm happy to eat humble pie" and then being stupid enough to make exactly the same mistake two minutes later.

On another note, I wonder if Prodee is still "underwhelmed".

Yep, agree BB.

Must admit, I've been trying to figure out why MFC people keep saying Josh Mahoney is a rising star.

Like all the other lightweight idiots that rely on landing big fish or brands, I have felt underwhelmed during previous trade periods.

But today, we controlled the outcomes. Today was a very good day.

Highlights - Picks 3 and 7 come home to roost

Jake Carlisle today finally got his wish to be a St Kilda player. The Bombers managed to also get pick 5 from the Saints for him - with the help of Sydney - who came to the table late to form a three-way trade.

Despite revealing it online overnight, the Pies today secured Adam Treloar from the GWS Giants officially. The Pies had to give up both this year's and next year's first round picks to get him, but also received back pick 28 in the process.

In order to get Jake Carlisle to the Saints, Sydney premiership player Craig Bird will also be traded to the Bombers.

Troy Menzel was today traded to Adelaide in exchange for pick 28 and Sam Kerridge who move to the Blues.

Carlton eventually secured the four youngsters from the GWS they've been after all week, with Liam Sumner, Lachie Plowman, Andrew Phillips and Jed Lamb all moving to the Blues.

Matt Rosa will be a Gold Coast Suns player next season after being traded to the Suns in exchange for pick 31 which goes back to the Eagles.

Gold Coast and Melbourne today executed an exchange of draft picks which saw the Demons get pick 3 in the draft, while the Suns also strengthened their position to secure local Academy Players.

• Like 2

Trade action at least. I see something like:

2016 1st - 3

6 - 7

25 - Melksham

Toumpas - Kennedy

Howe - Bugg

Pretty good but I'd hold off the champagne

The as yet undefined 2016 1st round pick for 2015 no.3 is champagne worthy for mine. Even if it turned out to be pick 3 next year; we'll have a talented player with a year in the system rather than a shiny new player. It's more likely to be in the region of no. 10 next year hopefully.

25 for Melksham is also very pleasing - a player who at worst is definitely best 22 and AFL standard, whose ceiling could be high.

Agree on the rest - the player swaps are just trading one risk for another.

• Like 4

Just throwing it out there.......

Would we offer pick 7 to Freo in exchange for 2 players - say Neale and Appness?

They then can offer 7 and there 2 rnd pick to lure Cam Mcarthy from GWS.

We get a gun mid and a tall to help hogan and Freo get there forward

Would we offer pick 7 to Freo in exchange for 2 players - say Neale and Appness?

Josh has been sated, he wants no more.....

Is GC 6 earmarked for an academy player?

If so, we are guaranteed of the one we want of Parish, Francis, Curnow and Weideman and one more of the remaining 3.

Not this year, have one coming through next year, partially explains the interest in our 2016 1st rounder.

• Like 1

Say what? What interest would draft picks be to GWS after they just gave up picks 7 and 8 for SFA? They would rather have Neale and Appness and cut out the middle man.

As 6 appears to be a live pick, I wonder if we would try and deal for 4 & 5 with 3 & 7, if we know for sure that the player Essendon wants, is not the one we want. We would then get both the players we want.

BTW, can't see it happening.

• Like 1

I don't think Freo would do that deal. They are in a flag window IMO. And also, would Neale be as effective without Sandilands tapping it down his throat, he is an extractor, and a big reason Fyfe and Mundy get a free run at things. Appness is also just a speculative athlete atm, he doesn't offer much going forward IMO.

Is GC 6 earmarked for an academy player?

If so, we are guaranteed of the one we want of Parish, Francis, Curnow and Weideman and one more of the remaining 3.

my son goes to school with the grandson of a filth great. he was with him when the trade of picks for 7 came through....lets just say, smiles were infectious particularly as CP is a former student and close friend

• Like 2

Josh Mahony on SEN now. Just said we won't do any more deals tomorrow

He also said the Howe and Kennedy deals will be seperate

He then weaved some sort of magic to get us 3 and 7

Looking forward to us being the proud owners of pick 1 and 2 by 2 pm tomorrow

• Like 1

As 6 appears to be a live pick, I wonder if we would try and deal for 4 & 5 with 3 & 7, if we know for sure that the player Essendon wants, is not the one we want. We would then get both the players we want.

BTW, can't see it happening.

We had 6, and seemed pretty keen to get ahead of 4 & 5, probably for a reason. We'll soon see I guess, but based on that I don't think we'd trade 3 & 7 in exchange for 4 & 5