WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN KENNEDY

MadAsHell

The woman that runs the Supercoach website "Supercoach Paige" is a massive Collingwood fan. I follow her on Twitter and I remember last season her tweeting every time Ben Kennedy was sub how annoyed she was as she thought he was an absolute gun and that Buckley wasn't giving him a go. I really feel that Roos/Goodwin are going to get the best out him and we will end up a great pick up for us.

She thinks every Collingwood youngster is a star and is keen to give Bucks the flick.

The sub rule hurt Kennedy, but not nearly as much as his lack of endurance. It means he gets tired and makes bad decisions and skill errors that you can't afford especially given his role in the team at his size.

A consistency run of games at AFL level will build his match fitness and see him improve, but just like Ben Newton he needs to have a big preseason to build his tank.

• Like 2

Kennedy will be a good solid team player. If you are playing finals, then you are going to have to rest players and rotate your squad a little. Rioli often gets rested by Hawthorn, leading into a finals series.

Ben Kennedy has a career average of 54.7% time on ground.

To put that in perspective that would put him last at the MFC for time on ground in 2015 alone... our lowest was Neal Bullen with 58% of time spent on ground.

Collingwood never gave Kennedy a chance to improve or develop. Their loss will be our gain.

That's beacuse he showed nothing apart from terrible skills and panic when he did get gametime. You could make that argument for any fringe player.

That's beacuse he showed nothing apart from terrible skills and panic when he did get gametime. You could make that argument for any fringe player.

To be fair, he couldn't settle into the speed of AFL footy because he was never really given the chance, the kids got some ability, i'd consider this a typical Roos pick up, at worst he is no worse than Michie and co, so more depth, and at best he could easily become a very hand AFL level player.

I guess, TheoX, that you would be very disappointed if he turns out to be decent player, and will no doubt gloat if he doesn't.

I wonder why our professional recruiters didn't consult with you before going after him?

To be fair, he couldn't settle into the speed of AFL footy because he was never really given the chance, the kids got some ability, i'd consider this a typical Roos pick up, at worst he is no worse than Michie and co, so more depth, and at best he could easily become a very hand AFL level player.

Maybe not the best comparison seeing we just delisted him....

• Like 1

I guess, TheoX, that you would be very disappointed if he turns out to be decent player, and will no doubt gloat if he doesn't.

I wonder why our professional recruiters didn't consult with you before going after him?

I'm not defending TheoX's opinion, but I hate when people use this argument. These are the same recruiters who picked up Riley & Michie, no one is perfect. And let's not forget the history of our other "professional recruiters"....

In my books Michie has been an 'OK' recruit and good value at pick 54. Played 11 games this year and his match-day performance seemed to be building. Maybe his being delisted to be rookied is more a function of some 'generous' terms of contract duration given to a couple of other players whom I suspect will roll-off our list at the end of the year.

• Like 3

No, I'd be rapt if he somehow turned into a good player, just don't think he's the type (yet another fringe player and tiny to boot) that we should've head hunted like we supposedly did. If he came essentially for free like a Michie did, then fair enough I suppose, but we had to do a deal involving Howe and Toumpas to get him.

Sincere apologies for having an opinion.

• Like 1

Yeah hes a gun. And its be nice to get him to the MFC at the right price,

All I am saying is that if he doesn't come, we wont skip a beat.

And that's a good thing. I remember PJ saying a few years back that we needed to create an environment in which players wanted to be a part of. I reckon we might be making some progress in that area, at least from an outsiders point of view, the club looks like a more enjoyable place to be. We aren't hearing as many horror stories anymore, which can only be a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else not excited by Kennedy?

Very unexcited that we headhunted a fringe player. Nice to see he thinks he can make an impact, but if he thinks he's come here for more opportunity and will waltz into the side, I hope he has to earn it well and truly at Casey,

I think people will be pleasantly surprised by Kennedy. He was used as the sub at Collingwood on countless occasions, meaning his stats are somewhat misguiding. Collingwood are stacked with his type of player moreso than just about any other club. I think he will play round one and good luck to him.

• Like 4

Superstar in the making if you ask me. Going to be a gun and just the kind of gutsy little terrier we need hunting under hogans feet. ANIMAL!!!

yes he looks a terrier but I think he is decent depth (above Matt Jones but below Brayshaw,Viney, Vandenburg, Vince, Jones) as he also has his deficiencies. That is agility and height. Speed is ok but not express. kicking looks ok over short distances. he looks a link player, clever, but won't be a 'yardage' player like a Brayshaw, roosting it over the oppositions press. looks like a poor mans Viney to me. his grunt is very good though.

yes he looks a terrier but I think he is decent depth (above Matt Jones but below Brayshaw,Viney, Vandenburg, Vince, Jones) as he also has his deficiencies. That is agility and height. Speed is ok but not express. kicking looks ok over short distances. he looks a link player, clever, but won't be a 'yardage' player like a Brayshaw, roosting it over the oppositions press. looks like a poor mans Viney to me. his grunt is very good though.

Thanks for this Bay, seems a realistic opinion. I have been wondering about Kennedy given Collingwoods willingness to trade him. Buckley and Eddie never play Santa Claus.