Who is the 'Big Fish'?

DistrACTION Jackson

Select the Big Fish  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Has anyone considered that the next "big fish" might be the player we draft at pick 6 or possibly 25?

Or that in Jesse Hogan, Angus Brayshaw, Christian Petracca or one or two of other youngsters we might already have our own future big fishes already?

Hogan already is our biggest fish, and no I'm not expecting pick 6 or 25 to be a big fish for at least a year or 2. Further, I want finals & you usually need several 'gun' players, not one or 2, and all those you mention are still kids.

We obviously have cap space to be doing this so why wouldn't we be trying to recruit & fast track our teams development by getting into finals? Recruiting blokes like Parker would certainly help us do that. As much as I'm excited about Petracca, he hasn't even gotten on the park yet ffs, and not all of us are as in love with draft picks & underage players as you are.

• Like 2

That might be the case WJ and we hope it is, but we are speculating on a possible trade of a big fish to us this trade period.

I'm happy to join in the speculation Mr Redleg and would also be happy if the club managed to catch that elusive big fish if he was the right person. I'm simply pointing out that I wouldn't be putting all my hopes and dreams on a big fish - they don't necessarily guarantee you anything any more than do your high draft picks (as we've learned many times over the years).

I do however, believe that we already have some real potential big fish in our pond and if they are nurtured properly then we have, for the first time in many years, the basis upon which to build a team that might challenge those clubs who presently have more than their fair share of big fish and are therefore successful in a very competitive environment.

• Like 2

Ablett is different tho, he went to a start up club, Franklin has played in a GF with his new side and didn't play finals this year with the swans who did ok without him, arguably would have beaten Freo with him.

Arguably they would have beaten Freo if the kicked straight.

Judd, Ablett, Franklin. None of these big fish have brought a premiership to the clubs they wen't to. In hindsight, they made it harder for them to win flags.

Stay the course Dees.

There's no doubt, IMO, that the Judd trade, in hindsight, failed for Carlton.

There's no evidence yet that Franklin has made Sydney anything other than better off - they finished top 4 this year and he didn't play finals. Sydney got very close to beating Fremantle in the first final and Franklin could easily have been the difference. Last year they were the minor premier. We'll see what happens in the next few years but to date Franklin has made Sydney better, not worse.

As for Ablett, you only need to compare Gold Coast's 2014 until he did his shoulder with their 2014 post-shoulder and their 2015 without him. Ridiculous to suggest Gold Coast is worse off without him or that they are further from a flag because they took him than they'd otherwise be.

There's no doubt, IMO, that the Judd trade, in hindsight, failed for Carlton.

There's no evidence yet that Franklin has made Sydney anything other than better off - they finished top 4 this year and he didn't play finals. Sydney got very close to beating Fremantle in the first final and Franklin could easily have been the difference. Last year they were the minor premier. We'll see what happens in the next few years but to date Franklin has made Sydney better, not worse.

As for Ablett, you only need to compare Gold Coast's 2014 until he did his shoulder with their 2014 post-shoulder and their 2015 without him. Ridiculous to suggest Gold Coast is worse off without him or that they are further from a flag because they took him than they'd otherwise be.

Maybe. I think that in hindsight, it might well have been lose/lose for them no matter what. Judd kept them afloat for a few years. If he weren't there they would still have had Kennedy and another high pick, but we can tell now that their drafting since then has been very poor. They were never going to get to the top and have ended up back on the bottom - it was always going to happen. They needed more than just Judd, but he was a patch job that saved them for a few years at least.

At the moment, they are well and truly rooted.

• Like 1

Maybe. I think that in hindsight, it might well have been lose/lose for them no matter what. Judd kept them afloat for a few years. If he weren't there they would still have had Kennedy and another high pick, but we can tell now that their drafting since then has been very poor. They were never going to get to the top and have ended up back on the bottom - it was always going to happen. They needed more than just Judd, but he was a patch job that saved them for a few years at least.

At the moment, they are well and truly rooted.

They flogged us

I'm happy to join in the speculation Mr Redleg and would also be happy if the club managed to catch that elusive big fish if he was the right person. I'm simply pointing out that I wouldn't be putting all my hopes and dreams on a big fish - they don't necessarily guarantee you anything any more than do your high draft picks (as we've learned many times over the years).

I do however, believe that we already have some real potential big fish in our pond and if they are nurtured properly then we have, for the first time in many years, the basis upon which to build a team that might challenge those clubs who presently have more than their fair share of big fish and are therefore successful in a very competitive environment.

I agree.

Has anyone considered that the next "big fish" might be the player we draft at pick 6 or possibly 25?

Or that in Jesse Hogan, Angus Brayshaw, Christian Petracca or one or two of other youngsters we might already have our own future big fishes already?

Well, I hate to potentially spoil everyone's fun, but when McCartney said he'd signed on for a year, he also said it was unlikely we'd make any big trades this year.

Of course, it's entirely possible he wasn't willing to reveal details of anything that might be in the works, and that's the standard straight bat response, but I think it will end up being the case.

Balic, Weideman or Curnow, I think.

• Like 2

Lol he's a player mate I think once there drafted RL the scarf gets thrown out the window there's not many if any player I can recall that changed clubs and stated he did it because he followed them as a kid but that's your opinion and I respect that .

if everything else was equal wouldn't you choose the dees?

I must admit ...and I try not to....I keep returning to 'smiths' post and that it was a BIg Fish. Form Mine this means something of a scale ( :unsure: ) far greater than many would suspect we'd land

There are any number of reasons why players may be open to a move. We dont know all the ins and outs of clubs...whats good and bad happening at them. We dont know either how long anyone has been agreeable to this !!

It may all come to nought.....but gee it's be nice to be able to say..."we arent on the nose anymore "

• Like 1

Parker's manager on Trade Radio just said that Parker is staying at the Swans and has a contract extension offer in front of him. He's going nowhere.

surely Swallow is more likely to settle in a swans, eagles, crows, or hawks nest, than to dive on our hell pool ?

A couple of weeks back I checked Josh Kennedy's age, & thought that puts him out of our picture;

..... but with our dearth of leaders & lack of real talent in our +27 Yr bracket, I checked again a few days back on his contract status, & started to think the idea of Josh Kennedy from the Swans, could really help us sort out our culture & leadership issues, even if for only 3 or 4 seasons.

I don't think we could do any better to help us get a move along than to do a deal for his services. he is contracted, but the Swans do have salary cap issues, & have so many elite Mids coming through that they have to try to keep happy, & on their books.

wadda you know dc?

do carp on wise

there's bound to lots of by-catch, in these broad trawling threads. lets hope JTaylor is environmentally sound when it comes to trawling the AFL c-scape for the best catch.

the eagle's landed him, in 2014, And' put him in the bag, til end of 2016.

dat phat laDee hasn't sung. yet

can he kick & handball well, off both feet ? :cool:

Hey, who are you calling fat? And how did you know?

Going by Mahoney's 'Trade Radio' interview there will no 'Big Fish' this year.

I don't mind not getting a 'Big Fish' per se but I just don't see a quantum improvement in results next year with a very inexperienced team. Quantum improvement in 2017 maybe, as <20 yo get to 30-50 game range but next year improvement is likely to be incremental. Little steps I guess.

Off to the draft table with pick 6!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

I don't mind not getting a 'Big Fish' perse seine but I just don't see a quantum improvement in results next year with a very inexperienced team. Quantum improvement in 2017 maybe, as <20 yo get to 30-50 game range but next year improvement is likely to be incremental. Little steps I guess.

Off to the trade table with pick 6!

lets keep on trawling LH... there is a big one out there, & it will get into our perse seine net, soon enough. This or next 2016.

I don't mind not getting a 'Big Fish' per se but I just don't see a quantum improvement in results next year with a very inexperienced team. Quantum improvement in 2017 maybe, as <20 yo get to 30-50 game range but next year improvement is likely to be incremental. Little steps I guess.

Off to the trade table with pick 6!

Just cos he didn't mention it doesn't mean it's not happening

• Like 2