Will the Big Russian get a farewell game?

I cant believe this sentimentality!

He serves a team not the otherway around.

He didn't play for us for free and the idea that a send off is good for morale is crap - winning is good for morale!

Win the [censored] game! Everything else is irrelevant.

"

and then ask Hogan, Brayshaw, Salem, Gawn and others who have formed bonds with Jamar for their loyalty in return

the treatment of Junior, Green and Miller did wonders for developing our culture

• Like 3

and then ask Hogan, Brayshaw, Salem, Gawn and others who have formed bonds with Jamar for their loyalty in return

the treatment of Junior, Green and Miller did wonders for developing our culture

Its hard to refute because no evidence is tendered

I would have thought that depriortising winning is not good culturally either.

Why stop there if he gets a game make sure we kick it to him so he gets to kick farewell goals?

Its hard to refute because no evidence is tendered

I would have thought that depriortising winning is not good culturally either.

Why stop there if he gets a game make sure we kick it to him so he gets to kick farewell goals?

How does having Spencer in the squad ahead of Jamar prioritise winning?

He hasn't played merely as a means to develop Gawn and Spencer, not necessarily because either makes us better (although Gawn now does).

Bring Jamar in. Slot him up forward. Push Hogan up the ground. It's his last game ffs. Give him a send off.

• Like 1

Surely ask the players.

The coach thinks we need to win this game but can only do that with the best most committed team.

Ask Jamar first does he think he can help the team win. What will he do to make that happen.

1 Ok boys the Russian has said he wants you to win and he reckons you can do it better without him

Or

2 ok boys the Russian reckons you can win with him

Who's gonna bust a gut to help get that result

Players response will then provide the answer

If not enough can/ will commit to his decision they don't get a gig

Of course he should get a game - regardless of positional issues it may present.

He gets a game for the same reason that Schneider got a send-off last week and anyone of countless players are given ones this week.

It called recognising a player's career and only a club playing in finals can afford to be ruthless when it comes to send-offs - and that's because finals bring about a valid reason to be ruthless.

• Like 3

I'd give him a one year contract.

He's an experienced ruckman who is still a capable back up. He's only out of the team because of the form of Gawn; his VFL form has been excellent. Roos talks about a ruck group, and Jamar provides valuable depth in an area where injuries are pretty frequent. Especially since Gawn and Spencer haven't been able to get on the park for extended periods of time.

We only have 3 ruckmen on the list. If we retire Russian then we have 2 injury prone ruckmen and draftee, and that is really dangerous.

unless we are in the market to bring in a mature ruck from another club ???

How does having Spencer in the squad ahead of Jamar prioritise winning?

He hasn't played merely as a means to develop Gawn and Spencer, not necessarily because either makes us better (although Gawn now does).

Bring Jamar in. Slot him up forward. Push Hogan up the ground. It's his last game ffs. Give him a send off.

If that is the best team so be it

He's been solid in the twos and on the brink of selection for a number of weeks being named as emergency. Any logic that denies him a last game in the red and blue is flawed, and if logic isn't attempted then it's just plain petty. Let him play.

• Like 4

FROM THE VFL PLAYER REVIEW ON MFC SITE:

"Jamar had 4 disposals, 1 tackle and 56 hit-outs so getting the first hit of the ball was a positive. However, there were some inconsistencies with where the ball was going at times. This isn’t a direct criticism of Mark but there wasn’t a lot of synergy within the midfield this weekend. Mark didn’t have one of his better games; he was really solid last week against Coburg. We need him to bounce back this week particularly with the finals. He’s a proud bloke so he will definitely want to bounce back and rectify it."

These comments would suggest he is not likely to be selected on form.

Of course he does,

Our season is shot

He has been with us over 10yrs .

We have treated players disgracefully in the past

There is no-one in the dewies that deserves to be brought up.

End of discussion.

• Like 4

Surely ask the players.

The coach thinks we need to win this game but can only do that with the best most committed team.

Ask Jamar first does he think he can help the team win. What will he do to make that happen.

1 Ok boys the Russian has said he wants you to win and he reckons you can do it better without him

Or

2 ok boys the Russian reckons you can win with him

Who's gonna bust a gut to help get that result

Players response will then provide the answer

If not enough can/ will commit to his decision they don't get a gig

Yeah because the players have been so great in the past at coming out to 'show' last week's game was a poor effort, or this is the line in the sand game or ..etc

Of course he does,

Our season is shot

He has been with us over 10yrs .

We have treated players disgracefully in the past

There is no-one in the dewies that deserves to be brought up.

End of discussion.

I agree...its not do or die finals is it.

Weve stuffed up the exits of many in the past..what harm giving the Russian a send off.. even if as a sub ?

• Like 1

Okay. Dumb question: What makes everyone so convinced this is Mark's final season?

I suppose we don't know that, but that he can't get a game in a crap side ahead of plodders like Spencer, says a lot.

I understand totally that Gawn's development comes first, and I'm glad that we are giving him the #1 mantle. But with Frost assumingly not dead with that toe injury, I can't see us keeping both Jamar and Spencer. While Spencer is no good, at least he has more years in him.

Okay. Dumb question: What makes everyone so convinced this is Mark's final season?

I'm not convinced it is but I'm convinced it should be. We should be able to find a 3rd ruckman from a state league somewhere as depth who will be cheaper, as effective and with much more upside than Jamar.

• Like 1

I cant believe this sentimentality!

He serves a team not the otherway around.

He didn't play for us for free and the idea that a send off is good for morale is crap - winning is good for morale!

Win the [censored] game! Everything else is irrelevant.

"

But have you factored in the positive effect on team morale that giving someone a farewell game might be? (I mean in the match, but more generally too.)

Edited by sue

I'm not convinced it is but I'm convinced it should be. We should be able to find a 3rd ruckman from a state league somewhere as depth who will be cheaper, as effective and with much more upside than Jamar.

Jamar's value would be in being able to teach Gawn. As we all know, he struggled to stay on the park and get a kick but he was an excellent tap ruckman.

Jamar's value would be in being able to teach Gawn. As we all know, he struggled to stay on the park and get a kick but he was an excellent tap ruckman.

quite frankly I reckon Gawny's got Jamar covered now.. Mark ...expert at tapping to feet.. Gawny..strangely taps to a player....just saying

quite frankly I reckon Gawny's got Jamar covered now.. Mark ...expert at tapping to feet.. Gawny..strangely taps to a player....just saying

He'll be even better when the player he taps it to is a team mate

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

He'll be even better when the players he taps it to is a team mate

gawd....you want everything !!!! lol

We have a ruck coach for that. I've got no problem with keeping Jamar up to now, he wasn't too bad at the start of the year and allowed Gawn to do the time at Casey to set up a good end of the season. But now at age 32 there's little reason to keep him as the 3rd string ruckman.

If we don't keep Cross who's in the best 22 we can't be keeping Jamar who's 3rd in line for a spot.

• Like 2