Resilience - MFC Players V MFC Supporters (Merged Thread)

baysidedave

Since 1964 we have won no premierships.

Hawthorn have won eleven.

Carlton eight

Essendon five

Richmond five

North Melbourne four

Geelong three

No we have no reason to be negative.

I prefer to look at it this way:

Since 1954, we've won more Premierships than:

Western Bulldogs/Footscray

North Melbourne

St Kilda

Richmond

Fitzroy/Brisbane

Gold Coast

GWS

South Melbourne/Sydney

Collingwood

Geelong

And we haven't merged, been relocated...and we have more free to air TV than we had before 1954.

"Facts are troubling things"

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
  • Like 2

He is telling us he was misunderstood.

Don't entirely buy that but its time to move on.

Like all the diehards around here I'll be a Demon till I die so happy to let it go.

I like Roos' backhander at Robbo saying his reporting was 'confused'. Robbo must be fuming especially after Roos saying Caroline Wilson's article on the 'negativity' story was 'spot on'!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

Unfortunately Sue our once proud club was once a mountain and has been turned into a molehill.

True, but we won't become even a hill of beans again if we get into a tizz about this sort of thing.

True, but we won't become even a hill of beans again if we get into a tizz about this sort of thing.

Sue all of this is easily fixed, the players put effort in. They try, they give 100%, it is OK to be beaten by a better side but to offer up what we have seen the last few weeks is unacceptable. It is the coaches job to get them up, they can do it. That's all I want effort.

• Like 3

Can someone fill me in as to what MFCSS is? I haven't been here long enough and can't work it out.

• Like 1

Can someone fill me in as to what MFCSS is? I haven't been here long enough and can't work it out.

Melbourne Football Club Supporter Syndrome. ie. Constant negativity, due to years of failure.

• Like 2

I prefer to look at it this way:

Since 1954, we've won more Premierships than:

Western Bulldogs/Footscray

North Melbourne

St Kilda

Richmond

Fitzroy/Brisbane

Gold Coast

GWS

South Melbourne/Sydney

Collingwood

Geelong

And we haven't merged, been relocated...and we have more free to air TV than we had before 1954.

"Facts are troubling things"

Selective counting is the sign of desperation.

Melbourne Football Club Supporter Syndrome. ie. Constant negativity, due to years of failure.

I was hoping it was something far more creative. Melbourne football cnut [censored] storm or the like. The original makes more sense though

• Like 1

It's interesting. I went into the Geelong game thinking we had absolutely no chance. My sister thought we'd win. I then went into the St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton games thinking we'd spank them. I was wrong. I'm at the stage of thinking we could just as easily beat Freo this week, given how pitiful we've been.

I think I've been reasonably positive this year. That's why I've found it so frustrating. If you go in with low expectations and apathy, you don't end up being as negative. If you have expectations, you end up being incredibly negative when your players dish up crap.

Obviously, the negativity that we're talking about is the self-pitying, no-hope attitude, but personally from the top of this season I had higher expectations. For mine, this can't be an excuse this year. When your side is so inconsistent, you approach every match with some sense of dread.

I think your last sentence says a lot about how Demon fans have come to think, and after all for pretty good reasons.

We cannot win two on the trot, even against "easy beats"!

And when we are expected to win, or do well, we have usually put in a shocker.

Is that mental weakness on the players'part, or are we actually that bad?

It is certainly not causes by the supporters, it is entirely caused by (what is sadly sometimes referred to as) the 'performances' on the field.

Give us something to look forward to and we will stop being negative.

But do not dare to blame the supporters.

It is the supporters who provide continuity over the decades: in truth, coaches, players and many other club officials are actually transitory mercenaries, only some of whom have or develop lifelong love of the club. Supporters on the other hand are far more rusted on, and have every right to think however they like especially when we are so regularly offered unfulfilled promises.

So don't you dare cast aspersions on the fans. How dare you.

The only thing I can agree with is his statement that " I think Robbo is still a bit confused" but that actually isn't very perceptive: the whole footy world, doping apologists excepted, can see that with their eyes closed. Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

We spend years posting stuff like "I've had it with the club!", "this club doesn't deserve my money!", "this game was the tipping point! (after last week's tipping point in the other direction". We post stuff about club curses and hoodoos. We mail bomb the coach and the CEO. Then we act all indignant when the coach says we're negative.

I truly think supporters of the club need to harden up a little and stop taking things so personally. The club isn't trying to hurt you, and Roos is not trying to blame you for it, he is just pointing out something which to me was patently obvious.

• Like 7

I truly think supporters of the club need to harden up a little and stop taking things so personally. The club isn't trying to hurt you, and Roos is not trying to blame you for it, he is just pointing out something which to me was patently obvious.

Roos needs to "harden up".

I'm astonished he constantly references emails from supporters.

• Like 6

I'm sure that's what PJ told him yesterday before he became an Olympic-level back pedaller.
  • Like 2

We spend years posting stuff like "I've had it with the club!", "this club doesn't deserve my money!", "this game was the tipping point! (after last week's tipping point in the other direction". We post stuff about club curses and hoodoos. We mail bomb the coach and the CEO. Then we act all indignant when the coach says we're negative.

I still have no [censored] idea how any of this impacts the players abilities to compete.

• Like 9

I think the hurt is stemming from the fact that we have a coach and CEO (whom we all rate as professionals) failing at understanding the supporters. They've been here a year or two and will be gone in another year or two, we'll be around our entire lives, so for them to fail to understand the depth of our hurt and take a swipe at us for simply being negative is a pretty cheap shot IMO.

If you still support this club you've got guts and you're probably entitled to be a little bit negative, but we're still here, we still buy memberships, we still show up (even when the team doesn't) and we'll still be around after these guys have left the club. Both Roos and PJ have made this a really clumsy statement, we know they want success, but they're meant to be uniting not dividing.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 8

I'm honestly surprised he reads and responds to lots of them.

No wonder Roosy has gone negative

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 3

I don't mind negative. Hell, I have probably been the most negative poster in the past 12 years.

But when the negativity is flippant, and based on a superficial/irrational thinking and subjectivity...it should be basically ignored.

Too much black or white for mine. He was the messiah 12 months ago; and yesterday's news now.

MFC supporters just cant stick fat with a solid process and take the hits that come with it. We are soft eastern suburbs of Melbourne types that complain when our son gets tackled to hard.

spot on.

I think the hurt is stemming from the fact that we have a coach and CEO (whom we all rate as professionals) failing at understanding the supporters. They've been here a year or two and will be gone in another year or two, we'll be around our entire lives, so for them to fail to understand the depth of our hurt and take a swipe at us for simply being negative is a pretty cheap shot IMO.

If you still support this club you've got guts and your probably entitled to be a little bit negative, but we're still here, we still buy memberships, we still show up (even when the team doesn't) and we'll still be around after these guys have left the club. Both Roos and PJ have made this a really clumsy statement, we know they want success, but they're meant to be uniting not dividing.

Agreed!

• Like 3