Post Match Discussion - Round 21

Nasher

This won't go down well but I'll shoot.
There has been a lot of sarcastic posting about our 'improvement'. I will say now that all the hysterical caterwauling in the world won't stop me from saying that, yes, we have improved.
Whether the level of improvement is commensurate to what we are paying Paul Roos or whether the cattle we have has the potential to improve to the level we think they should is a different matter altogether. Statistically, we have improved.
I believe the matches after Collingwood have shown a deficit of leadership around the club. The fact that we have played the last three weeks by not bothering to get out of first gear shows that those who should have the boys up and about are not doing their job. The blame for this should not be directed at where you think it should.
One person in another thread said that Roosy wasn't the messiah in Sydney but Lyon and Roos were. That I believe is absolute horse****. Roos was able to coach to the level he did in Sydney as he had blokes like Brett Kirk, Stuey Maxfield, Jude Bolton and Adam Goodes at the club who were the ones driving the standards. He didn't have to carry the burden of having to inspire 22 blokes every match day as the so called cops walking the beat resided within the playing group.

There is at least 8 players that have to go. Probably more. We have to build the team around guys like Brayshaw, ANB, Vanders, Viney, Salem, Gawn etc. These guys are young and hungry enough to be the ONLY chance we have to ever getting out of the cellar.

Anyone else that doesnt come to play 4 quarters of footy every week, regardless of who they are or what they have showed (in patches no doubt), can go.

Sick of it. There is no time left to [censored] about any longer.

Spot on mate

We have to shed more players this year than any club has ever done before.

This must be a moneyball trade period coming up

None of our current leaders are up to it

A perfect sunny day. No wind

Playing the bottom club

At half time we have kicked 2 goals. (Almost 1) & are down by 8 goals

The current Leaders must be terminated..

I would be asking for AFL assistance to fast track this...

We constantly hunt the man and not the ball.

Vince hunts a player, Viney hunts a player. We seem so reactionary to the opposition, especially around the stoppages.

I'd just love to see us go head to head with the bottom of the table team and if we're getting beaten then apply measures to limit their output. FFS, why not start on a level playing field and back ourselves.

One word to summarise this team would be reactive.

As for yet another disgraceful day for this club, the club itself is stuffed and needs a mercy bullet.

Dawes was absolutely awful yet again.

Garlett wasn't at the races, and not for the first time recently.

Vince and Jones both down for the third week running.

Hogan had one of those days.

Gawn was well beaten.

Awful, just awful, performance.

I think we have improved in the grand scheme of things, but that makes these huge lapses even more inexcusable. Roos and the leadership group have a huge amount to answer for in regards to the last three weeks.

Personally I just think something is amiss at moment - Vince has not been the same since the flu, Brayshaw I think has the onset of OP and once you lose the clearances and don't tackle - it all goes pear shaped.

It's almost like we've got chronic fatigue sydnrome - I mean Newton will now go down as the only man caught by a chase by Watson.

If we are not ill, then you have to question whether Missen should remain at the club - watching the run of the Eagles and Dogs you can tell we haven't got our players aerobic fit, let alone anaerobic fit.

The other really disappointing aspect of the game was the decision not to play Salem down back in the first half - who came up with that idea.

What a great bunch of left-footers we have down there - Howey and Crossy with their first half howlers showed us why you must have at least one left-footer back there - why are we the only club that can't figure out that you need someone who is comfortable kicking that side of the ground.

I think what this year has shown is that the likes of Hogan, Brayshaw, vandenBerg, Viney, Tyson, Kent, Salem, and to a lesser extent ANB, Stretch are key drivers in our performing well. Along with Tommy Mac and Gawn these guys are the future, but it's been a long year and many have dropped off/tired. We know what we get with Vince and Jones who are both good, but lack support. Newton, Riley and Mitchie haven't really been able to provide the midfield chop out that's required. Garlett, Jetta, Dunn and Dawes play a role. Watts will hopefully continue to improve his consistency.

We could have won that in the last quarter. The ball came into our fifty several times and several players could have had a shot for goal. They seem to be too scared to make a decision/mistake. They don't seem to have the will to live. They'd rather be somewhere else. They hand pass it around until the opportunity is lost and the opposition gets it or gets a free kick. Then it rebounds out and the opposition get it down their end for a scoring opportunity. Also our players seem to think once they've disposed of the ball there is no need to shepherd and no need to follow up with more hard work. They just drift off and have a rest.

Edited by Kali
  • Like 1

We've improved ?

Like f we have. We lose to useless shlt like Essendon and Carlton.

We cant stary a game to save ourselves. Players waft in and out of play as suits their momentary state of mind.

Theres no improvement. All we see are various aberrations to the norm...i.e degrees of crap !!

We splashing around in the water...going nowhere.

Cant wait for the clubs spin.

• Like 9

Did the unthinkable and stopped watching at half time to take the kids for a drive and some fun at the park. They deserve better than me wasting my precious spare time watching the sort of rot produced in the first half.

Im surprised at how little it hurts me anymore.

So many players just dont seem to care, why should I.

• Like 5

That was just unacceptable. That first half was as bad as I have seen. Second to the ball, no intensity, rubbish skills....

We win a quarter and that is supposed to be some 'salve'?

We made Carlton look like contenders. They were crap, we were worse.

I will not go again this year. The GWS game will be the worst attended ever.

I sat through the Bulldogs game. I sat through that. I made a commitment to turn up, where the F&&k were the players?

• Like 5

We lack leaders on field. Jones is clearly playing lame but that should not stop him and others using their voice and setting up positionally.

We lack complete structure forward and back and at stoppages. I have never seen so many players fly against each other at both ends of the ground. The amount of times we tapped it where we had no one was astounding.

We do not or can not run hard enough either way. Time for Misson to go and try someone new.

I am really confused by our game plan. We have looked good when we have kept it simple man on man. Anything else we lack any cohesion.

Still think we have clearly improved this year but we have checked out the last 3 weeks and doubt we will recover for the last two.

Edited by big_red_fire_engine

AFL just announced the game MFC vs GWS being played at Etihad Stadium has been cancelled.

Any chance of that happening next week, Id gladly just give them the points.

One things for sure after today's game, and that is Cripps will be rising star.

Also shows the importance of a star mid over a star forward.

We're the M#C where # means anything other than football. We know NOTHING about football anymore.

might require another logo change :rolleyes:

Just popping in to say that I wasn't surprised with the result.

As bad as it was at least we made it interesting when 2 years ago we would've never been in the match.

However it's appalling that we've fallen behind to 2 teams 76-2 and 62-9 in the past two weeks.

Vince, Jones and Cross (butter fingers) gave us nothing in the first half, which was really disappointing.

Stretch and Harmes have a lot to learn, when the pressure's on they are seriously liable with the ball in hand, this is a contrast to Brayshaw who gets better when the heat's turned up.

Fantastic (and bad in a way) that Newton and Michie stood out. I seriously can't understand why Newton hasn't been selected for so many weeks, he's not the cleanest player but he provides us with outside run and as a link-up player as well as some clearances that we've been missing.

STOP HANDBALLING TO PLAYERS' FEET OR PLAYERS ABOUT TO GET TACKLED. VINEY WAS A CULPRIT TODAY

I'm [censored] off that Hogan went goalless for the first half.

TODAY PROVED WE ARE CAPABLE OF BEING FLOGGED BY ANYONE AT ANY TIME, AND THAT WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO OUTPLAY JUST ABOUT ANYONE (the second one happens for a lot shorter though)

Tom McDonald has the qualities of a star player.

Also it was great to see Salem back, we've seriously missed him

Edited by Je Roos Salem
  • Like 3

Just popping in to say that I wasn't surprised with the result.

As bad as it was at least we made it interesting when 2 years ago we would've never been in the match.

However it's appalling that we've fallen behind to 2 teams 76-2 and 62-9 in the past two weeks.

Vince, Jones and Cross (butter fingers) gave us nothing in the first half, which was really disappointing.

Stretch and Harmes have a lot to learn, when the pressure's on they are seriously liable with the ball in hand, this is a contrast to Brayshaw who gets better when the heat's turned up.

Fantastic (and bad in a way) that Newton and Michie stood out. I seriously can't understand why Newton hasn't been selected for so many weeks, he's not the cleanest player but he provides us with outside run and as a link-up player as well as some clearances that we've been missing.

STOP HANDBALLING TO PLAYERS' FEET OR PLAYERS ABOUT TO GET TACKLED. VINEY WAS A CULPRIT TODAY

I'm [censored] off that Hogan went goalless for the first half.

TODAY PROVED WE ARE CAPABLE OF BEING FLOGGED BY ANYONE AT ANY TIME, AND THAT WE ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO OUTPLAY JUST ABOUT ANYONE (the second one happens for a lot shorter though)

Tom McDonald has the qualities of a star player.

Also it was great to see Salem back, we've seriously missed him

You had me until the Mcdonald comment..

His disposal and decision making was awful. I am yet to see these 'star like qaulities' in mcdonald.

JRS, You were going well until you got to this.

Newton is a nice looking left-foot kick and seems to be able to rove packs better than some of our guys, but to suggest he provides outside run is laughable.

Today he became the first player in AFL history to be chased down by Watson (members wing), despite the fact that he had a 10m start on him.

If he could find a few extra yards toe, he'd be an AFL player each week.

If we could find a sprints coach of repute, then we'd be a chance to make some ground up quickly.

But neither is going to happen while Missen is in charge.

I was told a few months ago by someone who works in the industry that Hogan WILL request a trade either this or next year. I didn't want to believe this, but after today's effort why would any of our young guys want to spend their short working life employed at this rabble.

I was told a few months ago by someone who works in the industry that Hogan WILL request a trade either this or next year. I didn't want to believe this, but after today's effort why would any of our young guys want to spend their short working life employed at this rabble.

And so it begins

I'm sure if he requests a trade the club will request 3 first round picks and an A grade midfielder. Good luck to him leaving until he's a free agent.