Harley Bennell

GawnWithTheWind

Legality and reality are 2 different things.

I'd also say you're quite content being a sheep if you're so caught up in the legality.

Alcohol is legal and ruins many lives.

Organised criminals are littered throughout big business and politics, although you may fail to recognise them.

I now am getting a better understanding of why you post the way you do on football topics...

Baaa.

So you're happy to go to gaol so as not to be a baa lamb? Using drugs because "everyone does it" - is that not being a sheep? Baa to you too sweetie. You have no idea why I post the way I do on football topics. Name a current politician who is an organized crime figure. Go on! Edited by Kali

Alcohol abuse does more damage yearly than the effects of all illicit drugs combined. Our jails are full of peiple who dont remember committing their crime.

now back to footy pls...

• Like 3

Buckley made a great point ... Do footballers want to be AFL players.... Huge commitment required.. Whilst there are skilful players can they commit to playing AFL???

Even Hogan said on 360 it was a shock on the amount of time you spend training & meetings etc

Wouldn't touch him... Trying to build culture & our list not at that stage of taking risks....

I'd love him but what if he has 2 strikes?

Maybe he has a dozen.......other players are known to have had >3 and are / have been / did continue to play.

It is all AFL window dressing.

Sure they may pick out a scapegoat from time to time but do you seriously think that the AFL really care as long as their big drawcards can still get out there? Especially a star player from one of their 'special clubs'.

All that said, IF our now professional standard club leaders do their due diligence and truly believe that they can manage him, and that he will not pollute the younger players in particular then why not if the price is right.

Edited by monoccular

Buckley made a great point ... Do footballers want to be AFL players.... Huge commitment required.. Whilst there are skilful players can they commit to playing AFL???

Even Hogan said on 360 it was a shock on the amount of time you spend training & meetings etc

Wouldn't touch him... Trying to build culture & our list not at that stage of taking risks....

I'm surprised he would say that.

In suburban leagues you have two-to-three 2-hour training sessions plus some time in the weights room. But those guys have jobs, careers and families. Footy basically works around their lives. And here's the kicker: they get paid something like $100-300 a game ??

Compare that to an AFL footballer. Good ones get paid $300,000 a year to do what they do. So what should they expect ?? Go out on the track every day, run and kick a footy, review the past week, prepare for the next week, and go home ?? Nup. First and foremost - this is their 9-to-5 job.​​​​​ They should be grateful a lot of the time is spent in fresh air (and sunshine ... depending on where you play).

The issue is finding that *clears throat* 'work-life balance'. And they don't really get that in AFL. Because once they put their bags in the car and drive off from work, what they do when they get home is also being monitored to an extent - what they eat and drink, how they sleep, how they move their bodies etc etc.

Is it any wonder some players need that release from the game by going to such lengths as taking recreational drugs ??

Being an AFL footballer is not for everyone - you're spot on - and that's what we need to look at when it comes to Bennell.

Here's the thing for me. We need to improve the list as efficiently as we can.

If we can trade out our first pick for starting 22 player and get a pick within the top 20 back out is a no brainer. We effectively get two for one and we need more than two players to improve. Yes a top 10 talent has a better chance of making it than a top 20 talent but i reckon we are splitting hairs - I'd rather 2 AFL quality starting players than one.

When it comes to Bennell, on field he is everything we need.

If Roos backs us in to keep him straight, perfect. I think our culture has come along way in 2 years. The cub is stable, the players are stable. They are good character if not strong leaders, but we do have some strong leaders coming through.

• Like 6

Talent wise? A big yes.
His extra curricular activities? I am leery.
Melbourne isn't exactly Branson, Missouri but there have been many a young, impressionable bloke who has moved to the Goldy and gotten on the turps (or in Harley's case, even more). Why do you think Beamer stayed up there after footy?
Perhaps Melbourne (the city) is a slight downgrade on the Party Central that the Gold Coast is and in that sense, we might be a good location for him.

The reality is Harley will be undergoing a serious re-evaluation of his priorities and his commitment to Footy Vs some of his social interests.

He'll know now that he can not sneak these indiscretions through while playing AFL.

If he's made a personal commitment to footy and can convince Roos and Goodwin of this... then we're on! :)

• Like 2

It's called drug abuse. Use of illegal drugs is not OK under any circumstances.

Didn't say drug use was OK, but it is very different from drug abuse.

Alcohol abuse does more damage yearly than the effects of all illicit drugs combined. Our jails are full of peiple who dont remember committing their crime.

now back to footy pls...

Nice use of stats. Do you have the figures of effects per user as that would be the only real indicator?

You guys are kidding yourselves in passing on Bennell because we are 'trying to build a strong culture'... How about we build a team first? We have missed out on players and top end talent who are constantly seeking to go to other clubs over ours because we aren't a destination club yet. Far from it actually. So when an A-grade midfielder, a bonafide star capable of kicking goals and winning matches is forced to being traded out for his club and would be 'HAPPY' to play at Melbourne, you TAKE that opportunity regardless of what he has done during the off season.

Players have done much worse at clubs and still remain on their lists.. Just because Bennell got caught out and gets a bit hot-headed at times doesn't warrant a strict line through his name especially when we are a club that needs immediate talent!

/endrant

• Like 19

You guys are kidding yourselves in passing on Bennell because we are 'trying to build a strong culture'... How about we build a team first? We have missed out on players and top end talent who are constantly seeking to go to other clubs over ours because we aren't a destination club yet. Far from it actually. So when an A-grade midfielder, a bonafide star capable of kicking goals and winning matches is forced to being traded out for his club and would be 'HAPPY' to play at Melbourne, you TAKE that opportunity regardless of what he has done during the off season.

Players have done much worse at clubs and still remain on their lists.. Just because Bennell got caught out and gets a bit hot-headed at times doesn't warrant a strict line through his name especially when we are a club that needs immediate talent!

/endrant

+1

I'll just have to back the club on this.

If they're confident I'd love him. He's an elite talent. Imagine Peracca, Bennell and a rejuvenated Trengove in the team next year. That's how you start to make significant progress,

Three previous number 2 draft picks....

Looks good on paper.

I am praying Trengove can recapture some sort of form, and I really hope there are no further complications to the Petracca's injury.

If we landed Bennell and the three of them all had huge pre-seasons without interruption, it'd be extremely exciting coming into next year.

A midfield mix of Bennell, Viney, Brayshaw, Jones, Vandenberg, Petracca, Trengove and Tyson is pretty sexy.

If we don't land a HB flanker this off-season with foot-skills and an ability to break lines, I'd love to see Vince be released from the midfield and start playing there.

Salem and Vince off the flanks give us two players we can trust with the ball and who will actually provide attacking and pro-active ball movement. Whack Whitey in a pocket and you have a much more well balanced back-line than what we've been seeing recently.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 4