Harley Bennell

GawnWithTheWind

Prestia and Bennell. We would then have a bona fide midfield in 2016.

Let's get it done. Would Howe and our first round clinch the deal? Unlike some Demonlanders, I would like to persist with Fitzy as a versatile KPP rather than trade him out (so we don't regret it like we did with Steph Martin)!

• Like 2

The thing is that Bennell is exactly the type of player we need, lots of pace and bucketloads of skill and X factor.

Imagine him hitting up The Hulk laces out.

I'd take the punt.

• Like 7

I was thinking Simon Goodwin.

If there's someone at the club who can related to Harley in regards to fighting his demons, overcoming some adversity and working towards redemption, I imagine Goodwin would be the man.

Spot on If you havent read Goodwins book, do yourself a favour. I believe Goodwin will have a tremendous positive influence on all our youngsters. Look at what he did with Hoges. He has the experience with some of the issues these young men are facing. Love Roos but cant wait for Goodwin.

Harley staying at GC is not an option. He'll be gone regardless.

He could potentially go cheap, but all it takes is for minimum two clubs to buy into the notion that his upside is too great to drive the price up.

I suspect it will happen.

• Like 5

I am assuming that your team assumes that we traded Howe for Prestia?

Or Prestia for our first rounder. Bennell should come cheaper given the baggage and the fact they have stated they want him gone. Otherwise, yeah. Howe and our second rounder.

Edited by AdamFarr

I'm a bit out of the loop here, but did the Suns say that they will be trading him no matter what or only if the right deal comes along?

Surely they can't expect too much in return if they want him gone.

The suns came out & said "he WILL be traded."

• Like 1

I'm indifferent on this. He's a talented player but has lots of baggage.

Does the MFC have the requirement for a player like him at this point in time?

Debatable.

I recall Darling had baggage at the time, and many didn't do their homework.

This kid is a jet. I'd back those in charge now to make the right call.

• Like 3

I hope not. I work in an emergency department so I do see a lot of drug abuse but I don't think it's as widespread as you say.

Big difference between drug abuse and drug use. Drug use is fairly widespread in the demographic we are talking about, drug abuse not so much but still a significant problem.

I recall Darling had baggage at the time, and many didn't do their homework.

This kid is a jet. I'd back those in charge now to make the right call.

Wasn't there a bit of talk that the baggage of Darling had been staged somewhat in order to enable him to drop down to West Coast. Now obviously this would amount to draft tampering, and we know WC are a clean club....

• Like 1

Legality and reality are 2 different things.

I'd also say you're quite content being a sheep if you're so caught up in the legality.

Alcohol is legal and ruins many lives.

Organised criminals are littered throughout big business and politics, although you may fail to recognise them.

I now am getting a better understanding of why you post the way you do on football topics...

Baaa.

If it is everywhere, as you say it is, then wouldn't the sheep be the people using it, not the people against its use?

Dont know if this has been reported but from afl.com - I'm not convinced I want to spend 6 on him now, especially considering that they want Howe. He is what we need though - no denying that. And the no [censored] policy went out the window and worked to the tune of 40 goals last year. My addition to this is that he has made it this long in the system. He clearly wants to play afl football or he wouldn't have lasted this long as we have seen with other players. GC / GWS must have been terrible environments to be in (not unlike the MFC). Maybe with the right support, and not being whipped from pillar to post each weekend - things might look up for Harley.

One list manager says despite losing the whip hand, the Suns could still demand a late first-round pick.

There is also a school of thought that clubs would trade a top-10 pick in exchange for Bennell and one of Gold Coast's later picks.

It currently has an end-of-first-round compensation pick and one early in the second round.

They can't keep him, they'd look too stupid.

They can't send him to the PSD - he's not out of contract.

They have to agree to a trade and Harley has to sign off on it.

Pick 6 for Bennell and 19 would value Bennell somewhere around pick 12 I'd say. That's probably the maximum offer.

Our job is to do a thorough background check and to get Bennell to commit to the club as his preference. After that happens we can start the bidding much lower. If other clubs want to make offers for a player who doesn't want to play for them and refuses to be traded too them then good luck to them. We can up the offer to one that placates Gold Coast for a player they have all but effectively sacked.

I'm not trying to be petty like an Essendon staff member, I'm just saying Bennell's value surely can't be sky high and Gold Coast have minimal leverage. I'd hate to use pick 6 given all the risk involved. Bennell averages 15 games a year the last 3 years and hasn't exactly polled huge votes in the Brownlow. I'd usually reserve pick 6's for guys with a much stronger pedigree regardless of off field problems.

• Like 2

It seems that the questions around Bennell have to do with influence.

Gary Ablett jnr is one of the best players ever seen and his influence on games is immense. But it looks like his lack of off-field 'presence' means he has little influence on the sub-group of Gold Coast players who have the oppositie lifestyle to him. It appears the other leaders in the leadership group have also been unable to curb the behaviour of this party lifestyle sub-group. Having said that, I reckon Rocket Eade is going to tear that culture apart over the summer and look out for Gold Coast next year - they could be anything.

So, my question about Bennell would be - will the coaching leadership of Roos, Goodwin & McCartney, and the player leadership of Jones, Dunn, etc... be able to influence Harvey Bennell, or will his lifestyle badly influence players like Garlett, and young blokes like Harmes, hogan, Brayshaw etc...?

And the more I answer the question, the more I think that our leadership personnel can win the influence battle.

So let's recruit him.

• Like 1