Post Match Discussion - Round 19

Demonland

I do giggle whenever anyone blames the lack of selection of Fitzy for a loss. I wonder sometimes if there's some other Fitzy on our list that I've forgotten about, because the one I've seen definitely ain't the man to turn our losses in to wins. Notwithstanding the fact that he was unavailable today anyway.

Suspect Brown might not have torn us a new one if their midfield had more to beat than witch's hats in the first quarter.

He played a signifiant part in our unexpected win over the Bulldogs, and IMO could have made the difference when we played the Druggies and Daniher was unmatchable. Similarly today (though of course he was unable to play for Casey either due to the illness , the effects of which so many here do not seem to understand.

• Like 1

He played a signifiant part in our unexpected win over the Bulldogs, and IMO could have made the difference when we played the Druggies and Daniher was unmatchable. Similarly today (though of course he was unable to play for Casey either due to the illness , the effects of which so many here do not seem to understand.

Flu with diabetes is not a good combo - throws the blood sugars way out

• Like 1

I actually enjoyed today's game. I dont mind being beaten by a better side which is what they are. Had a real crack and it was an entertaining game.

We really lack that killer instinct when we are running over teams. It was the same last week against collingwood. We should have buried them earlier.

North are in that perfect age/experience bracket and i thought we really had them on the ropes. They've peaked, and we are only going to get better. Bring that every game and we will win more this year.

Hogan. You are a superstar.

• Like 9

Whilst I wasn't overly upset that we lost (especially as many players were apparently sick), we really need to be winning while the likes of Nathan Jones and Bernie Vince are still playing for us. We can't go through another cycle of expecting the next generation to just naturally improve in the future, the time is now.

• Like 1

Still annoyed that we lost today, but in the end it is to a side who are going nowhere.

Dal Santo, Petrie, Thompson ([censored]), Harvey, Waite are all Over or close to 30. They have one of the oldest lists and are not even close.

We will go past them, hopefully as quickly as next year.

• Like 2

Also big wrap of Howes game today. He's been great since moving back, and I really believe we can't afford to lose him. Only player in our defence that has a bit of class.

Agreed Pipe.

I think Howe plays his best footy when he is forced to accountable. He is athletic enough to get to the contests and he is very reliable as a third man up. It's when he goes forward and he is not forced to be accountable that he can go missing and offer us next to nothing.

I've been really disappointed with Lumumba this year, I thought he would give us some run and carry , but just doesn't get it enough.

I don't think he has been in the best players in any game this year.

• Like 2

Yes that is right Jones was held on numerous occasions by Jacobs. i made a point of watching that match up after I realised Jonesey had hardly had a possession at quarter time. Amazing the umps did not see at least one of them!

Come on now Earl Hood, he's not Ablett.

Must admit i did not seeing our comeback coming such was our awful 1st qtr. really impressed with how we got back into the game and only lost touch with 10 mins to go, particularly if we had a few crook players as suggested. Thought Vince in particular looked sluggish today n Watts lacked his normal composure.

Interestingly, todays score was our highest in a loss, and our 4 th highest for the year. kangas are the 3rd highest scoring team in the comp. Certainly far from disgraced today.

Usually when we have a bad start then that's it for the day.

Well we had a bad start, a really bad start and got back into the game. Got run over at the end but it seems to me we have taken some really big steps forward this year.

• Like 3

Usually when we have a bad start then that's it for the day.

Well we had a bad start, a really bad start and got back into the game. Got run over at the end but it seems to me we have taken some really big steps forward this year.

Agreed, mate. It's just getting that consistent four quarter performance that we're after. Once we get that, we should be looking at playing finals. There's no doubt that we are trending upward though. Roos is a marvel. I expect us to get 10-12 wins next year and push for the top 8. In Goodwin's first year, it would be extremely disappointing not to play finals.

• Like 1

Ive had the injection and still got the flu, you just dont get it as bad, in fact you hardly notice it, but it sure does make you way less than 100%.

The influenza vaccine is always a season behind the influenza virus. It covers last year's antigens. It can't predict what new strain will be around this season.
  • Like 1

Goldy killed us. I just don't get Watts. All those good weeks and then that, what is going on in that kids head

A helluva lot of mucus if he's got the 'flu!!

Remember, some of the things that you & I would take to ease the symptoms are banned substances for athletes.

• Like 1

I'm not too angry when we torched a finals team for half the game and the margin flattered them late. But I'm not exactly ready to just accept this flu story.

It's not an excuse for the first quarter. And whilst you do have poor starts some weeks the deficit blew out all too easily.

Our defenders need to stop spoiling each other in the air. Our senior players need to start working out a way to halt momentum by controlling play and we can't make dumb mistakes so often.

Dunn playing Ben Brown from behind

McDonald and Howe spoiling each other

The Watts kick in

The ball walzing out from the middle

No run to work to create space to get a few cheap uncontested possessions

The young players (Hogan, Harmes, Viney) were the ones leading the charge and even Matt Jones and Michie were up and about in the first quarter, yet it took til after the break for rest of the side to follow their way.

Plenty of positives for sure but I'm not ready to just accept it as the flu and not focus on rectify some simple mistakes.

• Like 1

opposition talls often have a day out against our existing defence. we need to get another big tall defender until we can draft one the fitzy maybe our best option when available.

Couldn't agree more - Fitz has played some good games NB Footscray. If he had been fit today and played a blinder for the Scorpions I would have been really [censored] off. As it was he sounds as if he was another of the stricken.

Maybe the flu explains our low disposal count today? Players didn't want to get to close to each other for handballs ect

ect!!?? I know it was depressing at times but that sounds pretty radical. Maybe you meant etc?

Goldy killed us. I just don't get Watts. All those good weeks and then that, what is going on in that kids head

have you ever had to go to work with the flu or similar illness?

Hate losing to North but the middle two quarters of that game were some of the most exciting footy I've seen us play since Bailey was in charge. The young guys drove our performance today and there is plenty to like about the list we are slowly compiling. Finally looks like rebuild 3.0 might be the real deal.

I can't say I was completely disappointed.

After the horrible first quarter I thought it was going to be all over. We fought out way back and stayed in it for most of the game. Obviously coming from so far back took it's toll late in the game. I thought Dawes played his best game for the club and Viney seemed to be everywhere. If we can continue playing like we did after the first quarter, and with some quality players to still come back in, the signs are looking good.

Higgins comment in the press:

Paraphrased "Melbourne got us in the second when they went man on man. We were too slow to react to this."

How many far king times this year have we been killed by the loose man in defence. North started the game with a loose man in defence FFS. Maybe I don't know what the 'strategy' of the coach is but this is really starting to get on my nerves. EVERY time we go man on man (Geelong anyone ?) we play good footy and don't get blown out of the water. When we allow good teams to have a loose man and move it around at will we get slaughtered. Its infuriating.

HANDBOOK ON HOW TO BEAT MELBOURNE:

Tag Nathan Jones

Have a loose man in defence.

Full stop.

• Like 6