POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 18

Demonland

I don't disagree with what you posted. It is a truth. One that is on display when we play far too often than we would like.

But we are so quick to get stuck into our players, sometimes rightly so and other times unjustly, that it seems harsh to come straight in and be negative in the first thing you post. The boys deserve praise for the way they played today, not a reminder of something that clearly didn't hurt us too much today.

Yeah fair enough, prob should have gone with a few praises.

Hogan seemed to want to make up for being beaten last time and really stamped himself on the game early which I thought was really impressive.

Dawes I thought played quite well as the second ruck today, Brayshaw doesn't seem to be getting the ball as much but my god doe he choose the right option all the time.

Bernie... Please get to 100 games and have lost of boys who choose us.

• Like 2

He's only credited with 6 disposals, but I find that very hard to believe. He seemed to get a lot of it in the first half. Maybe he had a lot of involvements that didn't register as disposals or something?

6 touches at 52% DE.

Got his chance and, unfortunately, didn't take it.

That does surprise me. I would have guessed 10-12 disposals at 70%

I agree with you Ralph, I thought he was more involved than 6 possessions.

Very satisfying to control the last quarter so emphatically.

Had they lost the form reversal over last week would have been a positive, the readiness to kick long and to run and carry would have been encouraging etc, but it's so much better when you don't need to look for positives in the wreckage of another loss!

• Like 1

6 touches at 52% DE.

Got his chance and, unfortunately, didn't take it.

Still would giv him another go next week. It's his only his fist full game for a while.

Maybe needs another to settle in.

• Like 1

Great game. Blew some easy shots in the fourth and really should have won by 50, but that last quarter was utter domination from a team that look out on its legs late in the third.

Vince is just incredible, Garland improved considerably, Dawes was great, Howe looked interested for once, and Garlett got far more involved than recent games. Senior players today actually performing to the required level, what a difference it makes.

Two things I noticed structurally:

1. We made huge efforts to keep forwards forward of the ball. There was a stoppage on the wing in the first quarter where we would usually have Hogan or Dawes at the 50 and no one else forward of centre, but today we had Hogan deep in the 50, with Garlett and Dawes at 50. Clint Bizkit would have been impressed.
  2. We employed Jones (and others at times) off half back at centre bounces, running in at the bounce to provide a runner towards our goal and blocking their run towards their goal. I really liked this strategy; although we didn't dominate centre clearances, I thought it added an attacking flair to the side.

There are still issues of course, and I'm disappointed Michie got the opportunity and didn't take it, but today was another example that the talent is there and the gameplan is perfectly fine, when we execute it. Four quarters of pressure and application and we are a totally different side.

I am sorry Paul i wont question you again...

Yes, you will. Before the season is out, I'm sure.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 1

Not that it makes the 6 disposals any more impressive. We need more than that from our fringe mids.

52% TOG though. Again I raise the question: why bother? I know we're not inundaded with talent in the VFL at the moment, but surely there is someone that they have the confidence in to give them proper midfield time.

I can't see how this does Viv or the team any good.

• Like 5

What also can't be overlooked in this win is the fact that we kept the Pies to just 1 goal in the first quarter and then kept them goalless when the game was on the line in the last. We are a team who CAN do all the right things. Finding the consistency to do it more often is now obviously the key.

• Like 3

Put a couple of line breakers in this line up (assuming we have one already in Petracca) and we will finally turn that corner - that's what I came away with today. Stoked.

• Like 1

4 goals in the first quarter. If we had done that last week???

Finding our own blokes by hand and foot. If we had done that last week???

Kicking crooked when faced with gettable goals. If we had done that l............ oh we did.

We're not far off it. It's all above the shoulders.

(But please MFC... goal kicking practice this week.)

• Like 1

Another observation - Elliott clearly wasn't 100%, or else he wouldn't have started as the sub. Conclusion - Collingwood arrogantly thought they could carry him through the game as the sub. Makes the win better.

52% TOG though. Again I raise the question: why bother? I know we're not inundaded with talent in the VFL at the moment, but surely there is someone that they have the confidence in to give them proper midfield time.

I can't see how this does Viv or the team any good.

He was clearly the worst on the ground for us when the time came to make the sub move.

Someone had to be subbed off and today, when the side lifted, Michie was the obvious choice.

If it had been Newton, or M Jones, or McKenzie, it most likely would have been the same - start them, see how they go, and if they don't perform, sub them for Harmes (who took his chances I thought).

Someone has to be the sub, and someone has to be subbed off. Fringe midfielders who aren't improving and don't take their chances are prime candidates, and the system will keep being like this until the sub is removed.

Edited by titan_uranus

How good was Dawes with the pivot and evading three players in the middle of the ground? Ol twinkle toes Dawesy. I hammered him this week but he was a solid citizen today. Hit his targets by foot which helps.

Watts had a great game which in some ways was a tease. His burst of speed over 20 metres is elite when he really decides to hit the gas.

Bernie won't get an AA nod because Melbourne, but he sure deserves one. Just an OUTSTANDING game.

Maxy Gawn is starting to get a profile across the league. Contested marking is becoming a weapon, just needs to build an understanding with the back six when he's back there,

Jonesy lead from the front as he always does.

Special mention to Nev Jetta. Won some crucial one on ones in the first half and was excellent for most of the day.

How good was Dawes with the pivot and evading three players in the middle of the ground? Ol twinkle toes Dawesy. I hammered him this week but he was a solid citizen today. Hit his targets by foot which helps.

Watts had a great game which in some ways was a tease. His burst of speed over 20 metres is elite when he really decides to hit the gas.

Bernie won't get an AA nod because Melbourne, but he sure deserves one. Just an OUTSTANDING game.

Maxy Gawn is starting to get a profile across the league. Contested marking is becoming a weapon, just needs to build an understanding with the back six when he's back there,

Jonesy lead from the front as he always does.

Special mention to Nev Jetta. Won some crucial one on ones in the first half and was excellent for most of the day.

I agree, Vince definitely deserves an AA nod. I think he'll get it to, well liked bloke.

Footballer's footballer, he is getting better as he gets old as well - which is fantastic for us.

• Like 1

awesome day. Bity frustrating at the start with way to many handballs and a few players doing silly things. However that last half in particular that last quarter was great.

Vince 30 possies and 3 goals. He is a superstar and so consistent. Love him

Maxy I knew a few years ago he'd become a cult figure. His ruckwork has gone to another level. His taps were great and his marking is wondeful.

Grimes. Thought he got better in the 2nd half.

Vandenberg. My god The guy is a tough tackling machine. Just love the way he goes about it.

Viney. Just tackles like a mongrel. Would like to see him kick more than handpass but love the way he goes about it.

Watts Liked the way he took it on at stages and looked good.

Anyway great win, we are above the bummers and I hope we can do the same next week.

Anyone else see the collingwood fan throw his jumper on the ground and walk off. Thought it was a bit over the top but funny to see.

Edited by dees189227

Someone said, Michie. Why bother.

Because we bothered with Bail and M. Jones and others for ages and the long game has shown they're not up to it.

Now we need to give Michie, Harmes, ANJ, etc enough time to show if they're up to it or not.

We're bothering with Dom because we think he's got it but he needs to prove it, and not just in one game.

ANJ looked right out of it in his first game. They need time to adjust and show what they've got.

Not one game and then dropped. And then another one game and then dropped.

Need to play them like a cricketer. Give them 4, 5, or more games in a row.

Let them show what they've got without the fear that they'll be dropped if they're not BOG.

• Like 1

Even though we were inaccurate in the last quarter, I thought we employed a deliberate and clever tactic to milk time off the clock. Jetta's charade of lining up for a goal then doing a sneaky pass to Jones was the best example of this. Vince and Garland took shots that were beyond their range in normal circumstances. We missed most of the shots but were able to lock the ball in our forward half for pretty much the whole quarter. I think the coaches should be commended for this if it was a deliberate tactic. Collingwood never looked likely.

• Like 1