Melbourne FC to 'target an A+ midfielder'.

Demon 16

Prestia, a lot has to go right for it to come off and it's by no means certain but discussions with his management so far are looking good

Is that your personal opinion or you have inside knowledge?

Think ur over reading a spur of the moment response to a question. His basically saying we need more bloody mids (and maybe a tall if Howe leaves)

Go back and read my post and the original article! It is very obvious what Roos said: a tall and a midfielder...not 'more bloody mids'; not 'maybe a tall if Howe leaves!' So, who is over-reading Roos' comments!!!!

His comments hardly seem a 'spur of the moment' response as the whole article (and this thread) are based on Roos' assumed intention that a current A+ midfielder will be targeted this year. The titles of the article and this thread are misleading!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

If Prestia isn't an A-grade midfielder, we're talking about an almost single-digit list of possibles of a reasonable age.

28 disposals (half of them contested), 8 clearances and 5 tackles a game, delivered with incredible consistency, too.

Are we talking Wines, Heppell, Parker?

• Like 1

Our first pick and Fitz for Parker

In theory you could say Parker is worth an early first rounder and a late first rounder.

Fitz isn't worth a late first rounder. Guys who can't get a run in our side aren't going to be worth that much.

I still don't think we are a club that will attract "A"graders of any position to the club.

Potential A graders say B graders who aren't getting a real go at their present club are all we are able to get.

We have a few of those already Brayshaw Petracca (even without playing a game) Viney vandenBerg & Trengove if he recovers.

Jones and Vince are the A graders that we build around.

• Like 1

What about round 1 and 2 picks for Dixon and Bennell.

We would be taking a risk in Bennell, but as a package I think it's a pretty fair deal. Both worth around middle of first round picks..

Another young key forward to push Dawesy out and outside speed which is crucial to our team.. We have next to no spread outside of the contest (Vince, Jones, Viney, Brayshaw all contested kings)

It fixes our list age profile (we have no 23,24,25 year old players due to rubbish drafting)...

• Like 1

Swans position is interesting . Buddy and Tippett soak up a large portion of their cap. Bottom three sides would seem to want to get around the three top draft picks. Maybe our pick could help Swans trade in the locals without to much pain as surely they wouldn't have the cap room to do much more experienced player/FA trading. So wouldn't surprise if things headed in that direction.

• Like 1

Think ur over reading a spur of the moment response to a question. His basically saying we need more bloody mids (and maybe a tall if Howe leaves)

I thought Roos' comments could have been a jab at Jones. He hasn't stepped up as expected.

Jones had a poor game, but worse was his attitude seemed introverted and down. We've lacked leadership these past few weeks and if we lost that's where the blame would've gone.

It's not as inspired, but Scott Selwood could help bring some leadership and class to the midfield. Or just go all out for Danger!

I really doubt Dangerfield will leave now

He'll be the most hated player of all time if he does. Plus Geelong are no good.

God I hope he changes his mind and doesn't go, because Geelong has no plan B.

It would make me very very happy.

• Like 2

Outside mids can take time to adjust to AFL footy with reduced space. Gaff is going very well now, but had struggled to shake tags for a couple of years.

I think Aish will come good once he settles in to a team and gets another year or two under his belt.

Don't know about A graders being available, but Prestia seems a likely target. O'Meara had A+ potential pre-knee issues. I still think he has a very bright future and may want out of GC17.

Motlop would be a terrific complement to our midfield, but wonder whether he'd seriously consider us. I suppose knocking off Geelong in Geelong wouldn't hurt our case.

I agree CJ, & like your thinking.

I wouldnt be so sure.

We are armed with pick 4 or 5, and I couldnt see any of the clubs below us trading their picks.

We will have some salary cap room and are currently a better option than say Carlton or Essendon.

We arent in a bad spot to chase a player at the moment, at all.

That isn't acquiring a free agent the new, it's trading.

Freo gave up nothing but we had to trade for bernie vince, it was the compo pick but it's not the point.

Collingwood traded Dawes for a top 20 pick and obtained his replacement (lynch) for nothing

Melbourne hasnt done this sadly

didn't paul roos say that last year but we didn't drag anyone.

Obv Like to get Motlop, Treloar or Prestia.

Would give up pick 4.

Give Pick 4 and 22 for Pick 8 and Motlop.

or

Pick 4 for Treloar

or

Prestia + Jesse Lonegan for Pick 4.

Edited by jacey

I think this is normally the case, but with Prestia the fact that he was a Dees supporter and that his family has strong ties with the club I wouldn't be surprised if we have the upper hand.

Add to that a high draft pick and the ability to offer a rather lucrative deal, and I'm quite confident.

Yeah just like Judd....

• Like 1

Rich & Selwood are not in my thinking. We need outside polish and line breaking run. Rich is not quick and Selwood is past it. I look at North and they have a host of the same speed / style midfielders and struggle without the dash and carry of Wells ( no evident than this year).

Don't like Aish either has done very little - if cant get a gig in the starting 22 for Brisbane that's saying something.