Gold Coast Drug Culture

dazzledavey36

Your case rests on absurd assumptions that "society is in the gutter" because of a "drug culture"? And that players caught should be thrown out of the AFL?

Glad your not my lawyer, or the AFL's advisor on drugs...... [censored]

Your entitled to your opinion...oops I meant sledging or bully boy tactics in your case. Read what I said carefully before you run off at the mouth..and let your guts rumble. Illicit drugs are exactly that....illicit, illegal it's against the law....do you get that much?

In my humble opinion, if a listed AFL player chooses to commit a crime then they are subject to the law as everyone is, and not treated like they are special human beings above others.

As it stands of today ...speed is illegal. Hope that's crystal clear.

• Like 1

Clubs have the ability to set standards of behaviour and have excellent compliance from their players on all manner of issues. Look back to the 60's and 70's and smoking and drinking footballers were not uncommon. I think it was Brent Crosswell who had a tete a tete with Ron Barassi over his mandatory halftime smoke. Gold Coast clearly don't have inside tabs on what their players are doing off the field, but a huge part of this problem is the criminality of the substances they've taken (cocaine, as K.Hunt is spilling the beans over). They're already underground, and thus an industry of concealment already exists.

In this way, I think football clubs show something of society in general. Some people want to take drugs, then do and continue, or stop completely, or with certain drugs become casual users. No drug is exceptional to this. They will ALWAYS be available, and there will ALWAYS be a market for them. Prohibition DOES NOT work, and never will. De-criminalise all drugs, and the problem is approached in a whole new, more realistic, and constructive way. It seems a radical idea only because drugs are associated with criminality/moral breakdown, and none of us have known anything else. The idea provokes such wild reactions of horror from some that it's yet to be seriously discussed in this country. There is a very smart and growing list of people advocating for it now, so it will happen, but not for a while methinks. Most importantly, for young moneyed footballers, drugs will lose the lure of the illicit, the dangers of criminal association, and introduce an acceptance of the reality which clubs can address more openly, such as with alcohol.

This x 1000

Not kidding myself at all. I'm not naive enough to think it goes on! But if they get caught, then cancel their contracts full stop.

It's symptomatic of the drug culture ....throw mud at its detractors to deflect responsibility.

Have a look at the health system it's costing taxpayers millions upon millions every year because of a drug culture.

Society is in the gutter on this topic.

Many things annoy me about this point of view. Not least is that you never hear this argument in regard to an abominable fast food industry that costs tax payers so much more in health services.

It also betrays a non understanding of human society that bases policy on moralising [censored] as opposed to realistic pragmatism.

Yep, drugs can ruin lives. So can a lot of things. Would be less so without the stigma but with a concerted educational effort designed to empower people to make informed decisions as to what they put in their bodies. Nobody has any right to tell anybody what they can do with their lives and if you think otherwise, it suggests to me that you don't trust yourself in what you can and cannot handle

Many things annoy me about this point of view. Not least is that you never hear this argument in regard to an abominable fast food industry that costs tax payers so much more in health services.

It also betrays a non understanding of human society that bases policy on moralising [censored] as opposed to realistic pragmatism.

Yep, drugs can ruin lives. So can a lot of things. Would be less so without the stigma but with a concerted educational effort designed to empower people to make informed decisions as to what they put in their bodies. Nobody has any right to tell anybody what they can do with their lives and if you think otherwise, it suggests to me that you don't trust yourself in what you can and cannot handle

• Like 1

I think you're getting enough on the side dc

He has invented his own addition to the Karma Sutra manual.

It involves a rolling walking frame and pure ghee.

Sure Harley is a mess, and blowing his god given talents, but surely he doesn't deserve to have his life ruined by the herald sun like that. They've showed rapists more respect than that. Its an absolute disgrace.

Agreed Pipe. Happened to listen to the fat slime ball (aka Robbo) trying to justify it as a "don't shoot the messenger" - piece of drunken filth.

• Like 2

Your entitled to your opinion...oops I meant sledging or bully boy tactics in your case. Read what I said carefully before you run off at the mouth..and let your guts rumble. Illicit drugs are exactly that....illicit, illegal it's against the law....do you get that much?

In my humble opinion, if a listed AFL player chooses to commit a crime then they are subject to the law as everyone is, and not treated like they are special human beings above others.

Nothing bully boy in what I said soidee, nor did I run off at the mouth, another assumption you make. Just because someone labels your view as hyperbole, you start name calling and getting agro.

What you posted is what I quoted, so yes, I did read what you said. You claimed society is in the gutter because of a drug culture (your words) and that players should be sacked for taking drugs. No one denies that speed is illegal or that players that take illegal drugs are not subject to the law. But to make broad, sweeping statements such as your's ignores that the issue of drugs in society is complex and varied and completely negates reasonable player welfare concerns, possibly breaching unfair dismissal laws. It's not the black and white issue that you make it out to be.

Interesting well written article

Doesn't excuse that pathetic protected club though or the AFL

They must have all known what was going on

The Herald Sun doesn't deserve a word said.

Mark Robinson will regret his words tonight

Drunken illiterate fool.

• Like 1

Whilst I appreciate the background I'm starting to feel like every age article is a sermon.

Disappointing that Harley seems to have continued the cycle of drug use from his old man. I'm not going to hang him for a couple of lines when he was 20 but when your old man is locked up you shouldn't even go near the stuff.

Sure Harley is a mess, and blowing his god given talents, but surely he doesn't deserve to have his life ruined by the herald sun like that. They've showed rapists more respect than that. Its an absolute disgrace.

The Hun has that perfected that Murdochian combination of slavering voyeurism and tut-tutting puritanism. They're [censored] hypocrites like all Murdoch rags.

• Like 2

What crime did Bennell commit and what is your evidence? More importantly have the police charged him?

• Like 1

Maybe another word - or just plain clear would be appropriate, unless of course it was pun intended.

• Like 1

The trust between the player group is shattered up there, expect multiple key players to explore their options if there ismt significant change by years end

• Like 1

The trust between the player group is shattered up there, expect multiple key players to explore their options if there ismt significant change by years end

I would say the mutual trust so essential to any (professional) team striving for success will have been irrevocably shattered.

Expect discontent and requests for transfers. One big problem would be convincing a fringe player to be part of a trade.

Pity help this year's number 1 draft contenders, who face the prospect of two years in that culture. Perhaps they will consider a bit of tanking??

Edited by monoccular