Changes vs Cats

Bang Bang Bang

We've got at least two midfielders every week who are not up to scratch, and we're back to seeing the usual revolving door policy that we've seen in the past as a result. Riley, Newton, Michie, Bail and Matt Jones all belong in this category. I think it's pretty hard to have two of those guys in as well as ANB and Stretch who are just babies (that said - Stretch took a big step forward last night), and Toumpas who slowly starting to reach some form. Sometimes one of these guys steps up and plays well (e.g. Michie vs Richmond), but by and large they are unreliable and too prone to contributing absolutely nothing. Our core midfield group is still way too small.

It's frustrating when the only changes you've got available to you are swapping players of this class in and out of the side, and Dawes who was in poor form prior to injury. it's why I feel like vomiting every time I hear people refer to our "depth" - you've got good depth when you've got genuine AFL grade players being held out of the 22, not when you've got 5 nearly good enough midfielders bouncing in and out of the team.

• Like 7

We've got at least two midfielders every week who are not up to scratch, and we're back to seeing the usual revolving door policy that we've seen in the past as a result. Riley, Newton, Michie, Bail and Matt Jones all belong in this category. I think it's pretty hard to have two of those guys in as well as ANB and Stretch who are just babies (that said - Stretch took a big step forward last night), and Toumpas who slowly starting to reach some form. Sometimes one of these guys steps up and plays well (e.g. Michie vs Richmond), but by and large they are unreliable and too prone to contributing absolutely nothing. Our core midfield group is still way too small.

It's frustrating when the only changes you've got available to you are swapping players of this class in and out of the side, and Dawes who was in poor form prior to injury. it's why I feel like vomiting every time I hear people refer to our "depth" - you've got good depth when you've got genuine AFL grade players being held out of the 22, not when you've got 5 nearly good enough midfielders bouncing in and out of the team.

Just shows how much we're missing Salem, Kent, Trengove and Vandenberg. That really tests our next to non-existent depth.

• Like 6

Just shows how much we're missing Salem, Kent, Trengove and Vandenberg. That really tests our next to non-existent depth.

Pretty much sums up our mid field and depth woes for mine.

We are also lacking a truly gritty mid fielder who can play big time but also has solid leadership skills to drag the boys along with him a la a Hodge/Selwood type.

I realise they don't grow on trees but we seriously need something extra in that mid field. Someone that oozes leadership, footy smarts and courage.

• Like 1

We lacked speed and spread. My changes:

IN: Dawes, Fitzpatrick, Harmes

OUT: Pedersen (inj), Michie (omit), Neal-Bullen (omit)

FB: Fitzpatrick, Dunn, Jetta

HB: Cross, T. McDonald, Grimes

C: Lumumba, Vince, Tyson

HF: Watts, Dawes, Harmes

FF: Howe, Hogan, Garlett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, N. Jones

INT: Riley, Toumpas, Viney

SUB: Stretch

EMERG: M. Jones, Neal-Bullen, Terlich

I'm concerned about both Hogan & Brayshaw, as they both looked to be on one leg by the end of the game, but hopefully they'll come up.

Neal-Bullen a bit unlucky, but just think we need a few more runners and Harmes provides that with his pace as well as ability to play forward. Think Alex is still pretty much just an inside mid at this stage. Billy Stretch on the other hand I thought showed a bit last night, so happy for him to stay in as the sub.

So match ups in defence, I'd expect T. Mac on Hawkins, Fitzpatrick to follow Walker around, including when he goes into the ruck and Dunn on Kersten.

Looks like Blicvas will have to ruck for Geelong, given the injuries to Stanley, Clark, Vardy, McIntosh and I think Simpson also? Which helps us, as if Blicvas was allowed to just play as a midfielder again, we'd struggle for match ups. Was thinking we'd need to move Dunn into the midfield to run with Blicvas and get Grimes or Lumumba to cover Kersten which is always an option.

Anyway, expecting a flogging, especially if Hogan & Brayshaw don't get up, but hoping we can bounce back and score a famous win! I have no doubt we have the ability to do it. Just a question of beating our own Demons in order to do it. Just shattered we couldn't do it last night.

Edit: Wrong player name.

Edited by AngryAtCasey
  • Like 1

If we keep the long kick into our forward line we need someone else besides Hogan take a mark.

In Dawes, Jamar

Out Pederson, Mitchie

Gawn Hogan Garlett

Howe Dawes Brayshaw

Watts N Jones Vince

Grimes McDonald Cross

Jetta Dunn H

Jamar Viney Tyson

ANB Stretch Riley Toumpas

I never understood why people called for Michie, he has shown why now. I didn't think Riley was too bad though, could've been better obviously. I'd put Howe back, seems to have a bit more of an impact there even though he impacted the scoreboard yesterday. JKH to come in and buzz around the forward line. MJones to come in, he will never be that footballer we want/need, but you know what you get from him and will run. I feel Toumpas would be better on the attacking side of the ball at HF. I see some good things in Stretch and believe he needs more game time so to start as sub, he is quick so will hvae an impact when he comes on.

In: Fitzy, Dawes, MJones, JKH

Out: Riley, Pedersen, Michie, ANB

FB: Fitzpatrick, Dunn, Jetta

HB: Grimes, McDonald, Howe

C: Lumumba, Jones, Cross

HF: Brayshaw, Hogan, Watts

FF: Garlett, Dawes, Toumpas

Foll: Gawn, Viney, Vince

Int: Tyson, JKH, MJones
S: Stretch

the positive is of course that our current midfield stock does not represent what we will have going forward

2016 group: N.Jones, Vince, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, Toumpas, Cross, Vandenburg... others perhaps: Salem, Kent, JKH, ANB, Stretch, another high draft pick/imports from other clubs

That's 16 good prospects from which we take the best 10 or so into battle. Most of them are kids who we naturally expect to improve. Things are looking OK for mine

• Like 3

the positive is of course that our current midfield stock does not represent what we will have going forward

2016 group: N.Jones, Vince, Tyson, Viney, Brayshaw, Petracca, Trengove, Toumpas, Cross, Vandenburg... others perhaps: Salem, Kent, JKH, ANB, Stretch, another high draft pick/imports from other clubs

That's 16 good prospects from which we take the best 10 or so into battle. Most of them are kids who we naturally expect to improve. Things are looking OK for mine

I agree when looking at the best case, but I do reckon we need every single potential midfielder currently on our list to turn in to an AFL capable mid though. If Brayshaw stalls, Trengove can't get back on the park, Kent can never remain in one piece long enough, or any of Petracca, ANB, Stretch turn out to be busts, there's not a huge amount of slack there.

It puts paid to the idea that we could pension Cross off at the end of the year, which a few people held at the beginning of the year. He's still very much a required player and for mine is in the best form he's been in since getting here. I'd be working on his new contract now: a one-year contract on fair money with a games-triggered second year option.

• Like 4

Not fair to drop ANB. He played OK, and new players should get at least 2 games, especially as we have a bye the following week.

Pedersen is obviously out, which is a shame because it means in comes butter hands.

As much as I don't like Matt Jones or Rohan Bail, we badly lack pace off half forward. Riley is a good defensive option, but he is slow as our losses are large.

We need someone to shut down Geelong's half backs, and I assume JHK is not ready yet given he played in the VFL seconds.

In: Dawes, M.Jones

Out: Pedersen (Inj.), Michie

• Like 1

I would like to have a look at Harmes but wouldn't he need to be upgraded from the rookie list?

He seems to have some good traits and would be able to play that HF role that a mid needs to do.

We still have one LTI place available.

And Petracca.

And competition between Harmes, White and (now) King!

They would make a hell of a difference - even two of them in in place of the fringe players would have got us across the line Sunday, and possibly last Monday as well (I know that is all hypothetical by the way).

If we keep the long kick into our forward line we need someone else besides Hogan take a mark.

In Dawes, Jamar

Out Pederson, Mitchie

Gawn Hogan Garlett

Howe Dawes Brayshaw

Watts N Jones Vince

Grimes McDonald Cross

Jetta Dunn H

Jamar Viney Tyson

ANB Stretch Riley Toumpas

I presume that you are referring to Jamar, as there is nobody else in your ins who can be relied upon to take and hold a mark.

And competition between Harmes, White and (now) King!

And it would be great if post bye we had enough of our injured troops back to make that unnecessary - allow them to develop confidence in VFL if at all possible.

PS: I do find it pretty sad that posters keep bringing up that darkest day in our club's history with that scoreboard pic. Why do it???

Anyone who, despite our recent failings to get over the line, doesn't recognise a paradigm shift in our club is either severely depressed, severely deluded or doesn't want to know, preferring to wallow in the dismal past.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

Shocked people are calling for Gawn to be dropped!!!??

16 possessions (including 3 Goal Assists) and 39 hitouts I would say is a pretty effective game!!

They are all focussing on what he didn't do well, which was mark, but seem to completely ignore the good things he did.

Shocked people are calling for Gawn to be dropped!!!??

16 possessions (including 3 Goal Assists) and 39 hitouts I would say is a pretty effective game!!

They are all focussing on what he didn't do well, which was mark, but seem to completely ignore the good things he did.

He's completely turned around our ability to score from stoppages. Been a huge jump in the two weeks since he's been in the side!

• Like 7

Lumumba was awful today. He runs into trouble and then kicks it to the opposition.

Lumumba was the only one yesterday who didn't [censored] around with hospital handballs and gave us some ground with his kicks.

I thought it was his best game for the club.

And Petracca.

You can't say that we are missing Petracca when;

A) He hasn't played a game

B) We don't know how good he will be

For all we know, Brayshaw could be the better of the 2, until he plays we won't know.

• Like 2